Hair Cuttery Employee Reviews in United States

3 stars for a reason
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Willow Grove, PA and Bound Brook, NJJune 24, 2016
I started at Hair Cuttery right out of cosmetology school, and I learned a lot with the company. I stayed in one location for a little over a year and transferred to another for 7 months. Hair Cuttery offers free education, benefits, salary and commission, all things a beginning stylist would want. At my first location, I was commuting over an hour to just sit there and barely make commission. I had a horrible Salon Leader that did whatever she wanted and never ordered the products we needed, as well as lazy coworkers that did no work while I did everything. The second location started off great. I met fellow stylists that helped me grow as a stylist to work smarter, not harder. I was told to apply for the assistant salon leader role (assistant manager) as I was being consistent with clients, selling retail, and actively promoting the salon on social media to bring in more clients. I finally was interviewed for the position 3 months after I applied and got no response or feedback which was annoying. Hair Cuttery's main product line used is Redken, one of the best beauty brands in the industry. However they only carry about 25% of the whole Redken color/product line which means - NO 100& gray coverage, NO icy blonde (only warm tones), and NO extreme colors (they carry pravana but only a couple of colors). As a stylist, Hair Cuttery gives the illusion that you can reach for the stars, but only so high up. I reached a limit after I couldn't get desired results for my clients with the products given, the same classes being offered every month, working like a manager without the  more... title/benefits, and being told I must do certain clients 'or else'.  less
Pros
free education, salary + benefits, decent products
Cons
color line offered is trash, management was awful, being overworked/used
A typical day at work
Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDJune 12, 2016
On a typical day at work I'm greeting management as well as my coworkers and servicing customers. I'm checking my appointment book to see what I have for the day, I'm greeting customers and doing consultations to better understand their needs. I'm selling products and upselling services based on what I see fit for my client. I'm multitasking and creating client profiles. I don't think theres a hard part of a job when you enjoy what you do. After educating my client its easy to sell them products or upsell services to them. The most enjoyable part of my job is transforming people lives. its so much more than just doing there hair. Hair is most peoples crown and glory and if you can start with giving them a different look or perfecting what they already have, you have already completed more than have of the job.
Pros
commission based, interacting with a variety of people
Cons
pay decrease, taxing of tips, not enough benefits
Very Friendly and Productive Workplace
Receptionist/Stylist (Current Employee) –  Ellicott City, MDJune 7, 2016
Working with the Hair Cuttery I have learned how to interact and satisfy a variety of clients.I also learned how important selling retail is when you own a business. The hardest part of my job is not being able to make every client happy. A typical day at the hair cuttery for me would be coming in the shop to set up my hair station, and throughout the day I take on challenges of a variety of haircuts, hairstyles , hair colors and etc.What I enjoy the most about my job is the fact that I can be creative in doing something that I love to do and also seeing my clients leave with the smiles on their face.
Pros
flexible schedule, friendly, creative job experience
Cons
short breaks, not a good steady income
Fun and Challenging Work Environment
DISTRICT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Yorktown, VAJune 1, 2016
Great company to work for. High client base full service salons. Best part of this job was building relationships with our clients as well as the staff.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Slow Advancement
Great Enviroment To Work In.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FL 32822May 19, 2016
I loved working with this company i always had something to do but they would never over work me. They taught me a lot of there industry and improved my customer service skills.
Pros
Free Hair Cuts
Cons
Income
great job
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Stafford, VAMay 4, 2016
helped me get my foot in the door, i loved working here. My managers were amazing and hours were flexible with my college schedule
Great Place to Work Minus Management
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Stafford, VAMay 1, 2016
The salon was great, coworkers amazing, clients even more amazing. But Management would rather be your friend than to actually help you grow as your boss. Other than that, Hair Cuttery is an excellent work place, as long as it has the proper Management.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Healthcare, Lack of management
Opportunity
HAIR STYLE (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 27, 2016
Answered phone, Scheduled client, keep work stations clean and sanitize tools. cut trim and shape hair. recommend beauty treatment and suggest hair styles. Coloring cutting styling, open and closing store
Pros
many opportunity
Cons
management
more, more, more
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHApril 19, 2016
First off all the prices were just raised. To be able to make commission your service sales have to be $860 a week. To get 10% retail sales you have to sell $120 a week. You are paid an hourly wage of $8 dollars an hour if you don't make commission . If you don't make commission at least once a month you get written up. Every 2-3 months they do free wash, cut and blowdry especially for the needy for 5 weeks (3 days a week , say goodbye to regulars). Outside life is not allowed, the salon must be your #1. Short staffed so forget vacation or requesting days off. No holiday pay, no sick pay, you have to work both weekend days before major holiday's. If you become a shift leader you get an extra $20 in your check, that means you do a ton of paperwork and all the manager has to do is schedules and email. Overworked and under paid for only $8.00 an hour. Manager and district manager play favorites. You will find some great coworkers and some not so great. The not so great are the bullies/ brown noser. This one has the best hours but the worst attitude, has already been written up for physically assaulting another coworker but not fired.....interesting? But hey if you still want to work in this place that will demand everything from you don't say I didn't warn you! !!
Pros
paid meetings
Cons
nasty coworker, no time off, no benefits, inexperienced management
n/a
Salon Leader (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAMarch 22, 2016
Great company to work for. Great team enviroments, easy roads to leadership. Unlimited earning potential and growth opportunities. Also offers continued education
Hair Cuttery
Cosmetologist/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Westminster, MDMarch 21, 2016
I learned how to manage employee issues and data collection. I also learned how to complete daily closings and scheduling. I liked working with people and the clients. I enjoyed teaching and mentoring those who needed it.
great people
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAMarch 16, 2016
great people who work there and enjoyed all the lovely people who i met along with all the relationships that i made with every client. i came in not knowing how to do a mens haircut and i left with being a expert at a military fade to the newest fashion hair trend for men
leader ship
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Suffolk, VAMarch 16, 2016
manager has no clue what goes on with the salon when she is not there, assistant manager needs to set up as a manager. lots of games played at work place.
Friendly environment, busy salon
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VA 22407March 11, 2016
Hair Cuttery was a great place to start my career. I learned a lot from working there. Everyone got along and helped each other. And the management was awesome.
Pros
Fun, busy environment
review
Assistant Manager/Stylist (Current Employee) –  Romeoville, ILMarch 6, 2016
Too worried about getting " bodies " hired in the salon for coverage verses looking for people who fit in as part of a "team"
i make thee most of my day even on light days make sure im in constant movement and eager to assist first client coming through the door
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDMarch 3, 2016
A typical day at Hair Cuttery for me would be to arrive 30minutes to an hour early, prior to work schedule. immediatelyclock in load washing machine and fold towels and capes from previous work shift. Clean my station then procede to take available client.Have a consultation with client regarding the condition of their hair and strategizing treatment options for them.Executing services accurately is vital to myself and the company also selling retail is a large portion of productivity in this company.Once I have fulfilled my obligations as a stylist I feel secure with knowing that making my client satisfied is most important and rewarding.
Pros
meeting potiental clients and developing a good repore with them.
Cons
its upsetting knowing your working hard and only receive 40% of your earnings.
Productive and great learning experience
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 2, 2016
Everyday had a new feel to it. You're building clientele and learning from not only the people you work with but those clients that are walking through the front door.
Pros
Free informational classes
lots of walk-in's
Stylist/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 28, 2016
you'll enjoy working with the your coworkers but you wont get paid fairly you can work 40 hours and come home with a 400 check
Pros
fun coworkers
Cons
you don't get paid for the amount of work you do
more about money than employees
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Dundalk, MDFebruary 13, 2016
Love doing hair don't love whats involved. So worried about budget that your life becomes miserable. They worry about budget so much that you feel like your hounding the clients. You don't get much off of a order for supplies if you don't make budgets either.
Pros
tips and cheaper hair service for you and family
Cons
managment
Managed ten stylists and provided superior customer service
SALON LEADER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 2, 2016
Managed scheduling, hiring, inventory, conflict mediation, promotions/displays and communication with corporate.

After taking over management was able to exceed sales and service goals set by corporate through strong leadership and motivation of team.