Hair Cuttery

Hair Cuttery Employee Reviews

Good start
Hairstylist (Former Employee), VAJanuary 26, 2015
It is a good place to start in your career, but after a while it becomes a dictatorship. It's really not about the stylist and customers. It's mainly about profit. Which all makes it hard to live a desirable life in and out of the salon, although it's a nice place to have some income.
Productive and fun work place
Salon Manager (Current Employee), Baltimore, MdJanuary 26, 2015
Time flies when your having fun, and this is a fun place to work. Great company culture and wonderful co-workers. Great environment to learn and grow.
Great company to get practice at working with hair.
Hairstylist (Current Employee), Hollywood, FLJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: free education
Cons: less clients=gets sent home early=less money taking home
Management was helpful.

Typical day is cutting men's hair, and less frequently cutting/styling/coloring/highlighting women's hair.

I learned men's cuts, and more selling products.

Co-workers are kind and friendly.

Hardest part of the job was trying to convince clients to purchase more hair services and products.

Most enjoyable was making clients happy with my work.
Northeast Philadelphia
Hair Stylist (Former Employee), Frankford, PAJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: co-workers and slurpies from wawa everyday!
Cons: it was a very long drive coming from new jersy.
I'm not from Philadelphia however I did move to this city at a young age and loved every minute of the 20 years I lived there. This part of the city I was not familiar with and took a risk and excepted a position at the Haircuttery. I loved the girls who I worked with, they where a great team and we had good times while working I was culture shocked with the clientele, a very interesting creed of people. Some of them where very nice to me and some not so much. This was a great learning experience for me and really helped me find my style as a stylist. Im very grateful for the experience.
Good Company...
SALON MANAGER/Stylist (Current Employee), Bridgeton, NJJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: friendly, flexible, benefits
Cons: compensation, store hours, advertising.
Hair Cuttery is a good place to work. It is a corporate owned salon chain which is beneficial because they offer you a ton of benefits and education. I feel as though the compensation needs to be higher and not have so many stipulations and criteria to meet in order to make 50%. I think the experience of the stylist should determine the pay rate. Also the managers get paid too little. i also feel the it could be busier if the company would do more local advertising and events and have a nice BIG sign out front. Opening until 9pm monday through Friday and staying open until 7 on saturday is a bit much too.

Overall the people are nice and are very flexible with your schedule. Not a bad place to work, but its not where I will spend the rest of my career.
A day at work
Hairstylist (Former Employee), Front Royal, VAJanuary 12, 2015
I would cut and style hair and make appointments. I enjoyed my job because I got to meet some very nice people. I also would open and close the salon.
its ok
Stylist (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: free classes
Cons: benefits
It is great for anyone who is started out right from hair school but don't make it a career because it is more of a dead end if you don't want to become a manager. Benefits are a joke. All I can say great start but get your clients up and once you are at a place that you are doing more regular clients than walk ins leave fast.
Excellent company to work for
Hair Stylist (Current Employee), Woodridge, ILJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: hourly wage unless comission is higher plus tips
Cons: no time to take a break when the salon is busy
A typical day for a stylist is a fast paced work environment. My goal each day is to provide exceptional customer service to clients in a timely manner that keeps them coming back to my chair each time they are in need of a new style. I love doing hair because I am able to build strong trusting relationships with my clients by listening to their needs and making them as comfortable and happy as possible from the beginning through the end of the service. The best part is to see happy customers enjoying their new look. The worst part is the amount of tension that can be felt between the stylists who do not get along well with each other.
Challenging work atmosphere with goal minded work ethics
Salon Manager/Stylist (Former Employee), Alsip, ILDecember 27, 2014
Pros: they offered free education and insentives for stylists.
Cons: high volume of meetings and retreats taking away from clients experiences.
While working for the company I was able to build and create multiple strong successful salon teams. I had the opportunity to work with newer stylists and train them to be more efficient professionals. I lead my team on the basis of integrity and creativeness
Fun place to work in Hair Cuttery
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Current Employee), Munster, INDecember 19, 2014
Pros: makeup my own schedule
Cons: better health insurance
Thanks to free advanced education classes and regular training from Redken classes, I gain new skills and knowledge on a regular basis which help me perform the latest looks like the Keira Knightly’s updo I was able to do recently on one of my clients:
Fun place to work
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Current Employee), Bowie, MDNovember 28, 2014
Pros: lots of education for free
Cons: compensation sucks!! you work your tail off only to receive a less than acceptable pay.
I love working at Hair Cuttery for the fact that I can see and interact with my awesome customers! I love my work family. My management team could probably switch their schedules instead of working on the same days and almost same hours; their should be a manager on each shift.
Productive and fun workplace, always fast paced work environment
Hair Stylist/Receptionist (Former Employee), Cherry Hill, NJNovember 24, 2014
Pros: fast paced work environment, flexible schedule, working closely to the public/
Cons: short breaks, no health benefits, constantly fluctuating pay check.
I needed a more steady income to rely on, most weeks were not consistant. Poor Management overall. I worked at Haircuttery/ Ratner Companies for almost 7 years, and was given very little positive recognition on a job well done. However, I enjoyed my experience working with my clientelle.
a place to start out for begining stylist
Hair Stylist (Former Employee), Ocean City, MDNovember 20, 2014
Pros: get breaks as needed if you have time, competitive pay, tips, retirement
Cons: poor management, turn over rate, peer conflict
You have the opportunity to make as much as you want. The most beneficial thing is you get bonuses and if you don't make commission you get minimal wedge, so you at least get paid regardless. If you have a good team, its a great calm environment to work in. Management is not the best in the world, you have very few good ones. Aside doing hair you must sell retail, if not you can get fired. Most start here from hair school. daily duties besides doing hair is to do towels, sweep floors, run register, exc. It is hard work and strict corporate rules, no set schedule, and can not make appointments.
Great company that really cares about its employees
Salon Manager/ Master stylist (Current Employee), Oviedo, FLNovember 18, 2014
Pros: many ways to move up and earn more income bonuses are even available for stylists not just managers
Cons: healthcare benefits are available but not great
Hair Cuttery is the best company i have ever worked for they really care about their employees and their quality of life. They help you to reach your goals and achieve your dreams both professional and personal and show you what measure you need to take to get there. they would much rather promote from within than hire from outside sources as employees are the first to know about open positions and are trained to fill them before they become available. schedules are flexible for those with kids or other obligations. your income can be as much as you want it to be.
Welcoming Salon
Stylist (Current Employee), Harleysville, PANovember 13, 2014
Pros: making my clients leave happy
I love to make my clients feel beautiful and leave with a smile on their face! I love to get creative and let my inner artist out!
Fun people but lousy compensation
Receptionist (Former Employee), VANovember 8, 2014
No set schedule so it was a bit confusing at times as to when I was and wasn't working. Very nice people and great deals on haircuts for every customer of all ages.

Hardest part was the commute and getting paid minimum wage.
If you are passionate about styling hair you can work here
Hair stylist (Former Employee), Evanston, ILOctober 30, 2014
Problem is, it takes time to get clients who want color and because of the low prices, this is the only way you will make commission rather than hourly.
Easy place
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Pikesville, MDOctober 18, 2014
This was one of my first salon experiences. Easy advancement and management very easy to get alone with. Benefits weren't much neither compensation.
Good job for someone straight out of hair school
Hair Stylist (Current Employee), Wilmington, DEOctober 10, 2014
This job is a good way to build your cliental up if you are just starting out in the field. they offer a lot of free education of all the new and upcoming styles and teach things you don't know so you can expand your skills
Great start out for new hairstylists
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee), Fredericksburg, VAOctober 9, 2014
Cut and colored hair
Promoted retail sales to clients
Majority of the time was very busy
Able to sharpen my skills as a hair dresser since I started there
Free classes