Half Price Books, Records, Magazines, Inc. Employee Reviews

HPB has great workers at the store level. Most of them are fun, intelligent and good people to work with.
Former management staff (Current Employee) –  Tarrant County, TXJuly 10, 2017
Initially, HPB had great benefits with the potential for a nice 401K, a very nice quarterly bonus, and good, balanced people managing the stores. I was privileged enough to work for some of the good managers. The 401K is still OK but the bonuses have dwindled to next to nothing. The management is lacking in knowledge and temperament. Working with customers is generally satisfying, as long as corporate allows us to be completely honest with them (and they don't, for a store that was started by hippies with values). Overall, I have become disenchanted with the HPB mottos, as company values have changed. If it weren't for my Co-workers I would have left by now.
Pros
401k, co. matches up to 10%
Cons
Physically damaging(over time) work, little gratitude, substandard managers and many, but not all, shift leaders are unqualified for the positions. Unreasonable bonuses based on the former.
Bustling Store
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 8, 2017
There's never a slow day when it comes to this bookstore. There are people selling, buying, socializing, and discovering new books they never knew they could enjoy. These experiences are constantly being shared between staff and the store's customers. Differences are celebrated and minds are stimulated, from young to old.

As any customer service job, you must be prepared to assist and assess a variety of different situations and circumstances. Such as defusing hostile conversations/disputes, being aware of a possible theft, and assuring the safety of every woman, man, and child.

It can be stressful, but in the end, the store can be a place to indulge in one's hobbies and share common interests of learning.
Pros
Hour Break, Benefits
Cons
Un Paid break, Long Shifts, Stress
Mediocore at best
Book Seller (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJune 21, 2017
While some of the employees were great people who promoted a positive culture, the management failed to properly communicate and was inappropriately direct with employees.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
bad management.
Caring company
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Mentor, OHJune 19, 2017
Half Price Books is a company that cares about their employees. Their benefits are competitive for the market. Even as a salaried manager a work-life balance is easy to maintain.
Pros
401k match up to 5%, health care with dental and vision
Great people
Temporary Employee - Cashier/Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 14, 2017
Attracts some of the coolest people around but also customers can occasionally be aggressive. Overall a great place to work and find new series to get hooked on.
Really fun but too much drama!
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 2, 2017
I had a wonderful time with the books and customers, but the cliques formed before I arrived made the power struggle between groups of employees and a few lazy managers very stressful. The job was fun, fast-paced and easy, however. Customer service made the day go by quickly and the merch is constantly rotating so there's always something to do and you're never bored.
Pros
An hour lunch, books, employee discounts
Cons
Drama, poor management
Decent work place.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILMay 26, 2017
Decent workplace, fun items and inventory. If you get on the good side of your bosses you'll do well. The work is interesting and the day could go quick if you have good coworkers.
Great place to work!
Book Seller (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXMay 17, 2017
Everyone is great. From the managers to the customers. I never had a bad day there. Everyone helps when you need it and is there for you when you need someone.
Cons
Great place to work, love management, love my co-workers.
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 5, 2017
Great place to work with fun, interesting people, great benefits for a retail job. Also a very educational job. I have learned a great deal about a number of different subjects working here for 10 plus years.
Best Job ever
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 5, 2017
Best company, best store, Amazing people. I love this company. And this company loves you. 10/10 I will always comeback. Corporate really takes care of their employees.
Pros
everything
Cons
buy area
Chill work atmosphere
Temporary Bookseller (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 2, 2017
I enjoyed the wide range of music they play in the store. It is a unique store. The people are very hospitable and cool. The work can be tedious, but the customer service was fun because I enjoyed helping people find books, music, games, movies, collectibles, etc.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Low pay, no set schedule
Fun and Productive place
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHJanuary 31, 2017
This company is wonderful. Ability to advance is nice, and they take care of their employees via with insurances, availability, full time hours, etc. Management strives to make sure you're ready for the job.
Fast-paced and fun retail environment where your creativity is welcomed
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Florence, KYJanuary 2, 2017
Half Price Books is a great company. They manage to stay down to earth and treat their employees with kindness, all while constantly evolving to meet the challenges of a world in which the printed word is quickening its decline.
Pros
comprehensive health care, internal promotions, 401k matching, profit-based bonuses
Cons
Scheduling
Interesting work environment.
Book Seller level 2 (Shift Leader) & Wood Shop (Current Employee) –  North Olmsted, OHDecember 12, 2016
I have always had strong interests that involve media formats, mostly anything related to music and art, which is to why I enjoy working at Half Price Books. Each day brings forth an opportunity to handle one of a kind items ranging from highly valuable collectors items to quirky novelty products. However my absolute favorite element of my current position is providing customers with product that matches their taste in literature and music. This correlates to my second genuine favorite aspect of curating selections for regular customers. However, appraising and making cash offers on the belongings of customers who more often than not have sentimental value that I certainly cannot take in consideration in determining a monetary value to offer is at times difficult given the business model of a resale store. Due to such close interactions with customers i have developed communication skills that have proven to be both accommodating and exceedingly polite.
Pros
Healthcare
Fun job
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CASeptember 22, 2016
Fun job to have. learn about books, movies and music. Workers are very knowledgable. Learned money handling and customer help.
Pros
Fun, chill enviorment, easy
Cons
get tedious, long hours, not much benefit
Too much work for not enough pay
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Burleson, TXJuly 7, 2016
The management was very immature and not professional at all. She would never take responsibility for mistakes that were made it was always someone elses fault. To me that's not good management.
Fun place to work and led by wonderful CEO
District Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 28, 2016
Overall, I truly enjoyed my time at Half Price Books. They genuinely care about their employees and provided as much as they could.

Everything about my position was very much on a schedule. My typical daily duties included travelling from store to store within the district to train employees, give reviews, assist stores where needed, provide technical support (only because I am experienced in this field; it was not a requirement), and provide documentation/training materials. On occasion I had to organize and host seminars, special events (such as author signings and donations), and conventions.

During my time with HPB, I learned quite a lot about how to handle customers and employees in just about any situation. I also greatly improved my public speaking skills as well as many other skills I used on a daily basis. Because of my experience with them, I feel that I can handle any situation that may arise with an employee or customer, be it difficult, hostile, or pleasant.

The District Management team was also a pleasure to work with. They allowed me to work a very flexible schedule, take holidays, and most importantly always had my back. I knew, without a doubt, that if I ever needed their support - they would be there in a heartbeat.

The hardest part of the job for me was giving seminars. I had no previous experience in public speaking, and the thought made me very nervous. Luckily, I had a very supportive management team and people to guide me in the right direction.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to travel from store to store to help
  more... people. I am personally very motivated by knowing that I have helped someone and accomplishing that felt very rewarding. I also loved being able to interact with the public more by donating and hosting events. Nothing is as rewarding as seeing children's faces light up when you pull up to their school and hand them boxes of books!  less
Pros
Excellent benefits (insurance & paid time off), Work environment, Job Culture
Cons
Few positions like this within the company, Needed higher pay
Fun and fulfilling work environment
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Watauga, TXSeptember 16, 2015
The culture at HPB is wonderful and fun. The higher ups really do care about their employees and the customers. The job itself is fast paced and fulfilling. You always have something to do and that is a great thing.
Pros
Great benefits like quarterly bonuses and awesome insurance coverage. Hour long lunch breaks, smoke breaks, etc.
Cons
Basic bookseller pay is not a living wage :(