Half Price Books, Records, Magazines, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Fun place to work and led by wonderful CEO
District Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 28, 2016
Overall, I truly enjoyed my time at Half Price Books. They genuinely care about their employees and provided as much as they could.

Everything about my position was very much on a schedule. My typical daily duties included travelling from store to store within the district to train employees, give reviews, assist stores where needed, provide technical support (only because I am experienced in this field; it was not a requirement), and provide documentation/training materials. On occasion I had to organize and host seminars, special events (such as author signings and donations), and conventions.

During my time with HPB, I learned quite a lot about how to handle customers and employees in just about any situation. I also greatly improved my public speaking skills as well as many other skills I used on a daily basis. Because of my experience with them, I feel that I can handle any situation that may arise with an employee or customer, be it difficult, hostile, or pleasant.

The District Management team was also a pleasure to work with. They allowed me to work a very flexible schedule, take holidays, and most importantly always had my back. I knew, without a doubt, that if I ever needed their support - they would be there in a heartbeat.

The hardest part of the job for me was giving seminars. I had no previous experience in public speaking, and the thought made me very nervous. Luckily, I had a very supportive management team and people to guide me in the right direction.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to travel from store to store to help
  more... people. I am personally very motivated by knowing that I have helped someone and accomplishing that felt very rewarding. I also loved being able to interact with the public more by donating and hosting events. Nothing is as rewarding as seeing children's faces light up when you pull up to their school and hand them boxes of books!  less
Pros
Excellent benefits (insurance & paid time off), Work environment, Job Culture
Cons
Few positions like this within the company, Needed higher pay
Fun and fulfilling work environment
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Watauga, TXSeptember 16, 2015
The culture at HPB is wonderful and fun. The higher ups really do care about their employees and the customers. The job itself is fast paced and fulfilling. You always have something to do and that is a great thing.
Pros
Great benefits like quarterly bonuses and awesome insurance coverage. Hour long lunch breaks, smoke breaks, etc.
Cons
Basic bookseller pay is not a living wage :(

Half Price Books, Records, Magazines, Inc. Reviews by Job Title