Halifax Health Employee Reviews in United States

The most negative and toxic atmosphere I have ever worked at.
Clinical Nurse I (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FL 32114March 2, 2016
The culture at Halifax was punitive and one of fear. They did a wrong site surgery and were in full panic mode. They were determined to make sure another error like that didn't happen again, which was a good thing. The problem was the way they went about it. They set up new safe guards and educational modules. Everyday it was something new. And everyday threating emails would come from nursing administrating stating something to the effect, "you will acknowledge this email and complete this module by X date or you will be immediately suspended." They were suspending and firing people for the most minor ridiculous reasons and then recalling them because they couldn't staff the hospital. I have never worked at a hospital were so many nurses were actively looking for employment at other hospitals.
Horrible place to work
Certified nurse assitant (Former Employee) –  Halifax Hospice of Port OrangeJuly 15, 2015
I have cared for patients that were near death 8 hr. shifts. I have cared for pts. in homes & facilities. Made several visits per day to both as well. Love meeting & caring for people. Most people loved my care. Under paid & very poor yearly raises 15 - 20 cents if you even get one. I worked for this company for 7yrs. 3 of the years none of us got a raise. Probably so they could build & open a new care center. Very stressful job because of upper management treating their employees with so much disrespect. Upper management wants the patients cared for but doesn't give enough time per visit to care for properly. Very strict on overtime. Upper management had employees working off the clock until they got busted by the board of labor. If there weren't enough pts. for a days work upper management asked us to clock out & go shopping or run our errands then clock back in to finish the day. Most co-workers very friendly & nice to work with but all over stressed.
Pros
Meeting new people & nice familys to work for
Cons
Very poor upper management.
Ranked #2 in the nation Best Places to Work in IT
Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJune 22, 2016
Halifax Health is a great place to work! It is currently ranked #2 in the nation Best Places to Work in IT by COMPUTERWORLD 2016. The hospital is great and they really care about your career development. The offer continuing education compensation and maintain a training budget for each employee to keep you up to date on all things IT.
All team members at this Daytona Beach, Fla., healthcare provider are offered annual health assessments at no cost. Other health-related perks and amenities include free gym memberships, wellness classes, opportunities to participate in walking and running races and a Friday morning health food marketplace. An annual reorientation program called Cornerstone helps employees connect their jobs to Halifax's overall mission. For example, after participating in the program, a server administrator who might not interact directly with patients can make the connection between server up-time and Halifax's goal of exceptional service at every encounter.
Pros
Salary, training, education, paid time off
Not a good place
Reg Respiratory Therapsit (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLApril 6, 2016
Priorities are in the wrong place. Should be more about patient care, instead of new bulletin boards on the highway ect. Higher up keeps decreasing department budget and patient care vs. therapists are not fair. They put therapists in situations that could put license in jeopardy, and will not back them up. Only to make them feel as if they are doing something wrong. Yes, they may have the biggest ED around, but only stock one therapist per shift. Been in situations where multiple problems came in at the same time. Yes, you can call another therapist to help you, but that is if they are free. Its a good place to get exposure to many things, and be independent, because you are on your own most of the time. Also have had way to many ventilators to myself fifteen is way to much for one person. Looking for pat on back and told you are doing a good job? Don't look for it here, but make one mistake with anything and they will be right there to tell you, and issues are small. I'm not saying to not talk to others about things that need to be addressed, I am just saying to make your professionals feel needed and appreciated. Pay is low.
Pros
get exposure to many situatons. Learn to be independent
Cons
moral is low and amout of patient care vs therapist
Dont bother working here
Instr.tech (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLMay 25, 2016
Lots of clock milkers,lazy,fake people manager great if you go along with everything but speak up about any injustices and you will soon be gone.The lowest paying hospital around and they have business people running everything not healthcare people which makes a really negative miserable place to work
Pros
Its in Florida
Cons
Alot
Positive work environment with the ability for advancement.
Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJuly 8, 2016
I was encouraged to increase my responsibilities, knowledge and skills by management. I was given the freedom to implement more efficient processes and therefore employee productivity.
Pros
Supportive administration
Cons
Rapidly changing healthcare regulations
terrible
Procedure Tech (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLFebruary 3, 2016
dont work there its terrible and everyone really hates it there. The food is terrible and the management doesnt care about you at all.
Very good company
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLFebruary 21, 2016
A great place to work. Everything I know about being a great nurse came from working at Halifax. If you really want to know about nursing you should start with working at a hospital.
Terrible Experience
rn (Former Employee) –  Care CenterNovember 15, 2015
The system is under a corporate integrity agreement with the OIG for failing to follow ethical practices. They were recently fined by the Labor Board for failing to follow Labor Law. If you are "one" of "them" - its a great place to work. However, if you are an outsider - the best place to stay is AWAY.... far, far AWAY
Pros
Near the beach, nice weather
Cons
Nepotism, Incestuous feel, failure to recognize faults
This hospital has potential to be much better.
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLApril 2, 2015
Halifax is a decent place to work. Unfortunately, there is so much room for Halifax to be a better employer. I have worked here over 3 years and have seen quite a bit. First and foremost, the number one issue is management. There is zero communication and the only way that you learn a policy or rule has changed is when you get an email from a manager or supervisor stating you've violated said policy. Also, no effort is made to ensure employee retention. Generally the work day starts off clocking in and going to your assigned work area. Sometimes you get a break, sometimes you don't. Policy states mandatory breaks but since we're understaffed several days a week, we can't always take one, and to top it all off, we're reprimanded verbally and threatened with write-ups if we don't take them. The most enjoyable part is resolving issues cause by insurance companies, patient error, or just general miscommunication. Working with patients The people I work with on a daily basis are great to be around and help the day go by. Everyone you work with is willing to help as long as you are.
Pros
Differential, Benefits, Personal Leave Accrual, For the most part the people you work with are very fun to be around
Cons
No cohesion between staff, Generally understaffed, Short or no breaks, The time clock works in 15 minute intervals
productive workplace
Casemanager (Current Employee) –  Emergency DepartmentSeptember 9, 2014
safe environment, enjoyable workplace.
co workers are very supportive of each other.
managements awesome.
Nothing hard about my job.
I've learned clinical nd medical information that relates to my job.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the hours I work
Pros
benefits / healthcare
Cons
understaffed
compensated poorly
RN (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJuly 14, 2014
Im an RN; They start RN's at $20.24/hr which is very low. from day#1 my preceptor told me to leave because Halifax will "hold you back". Halifax is going through it's 2nd lawsuit within a couple months time frame. They give you an "$8" discount on AHA ACLS classes, while other hospitals pay the entire $165 class. The ICU nurse/patient ratio is now 1:3. the charge nurses even take 3 patients because Halifax is understaffed. The unit clerks/tech's sit on their butts and google or play with their phones the entire time; if you ask them for help they will roll their eyes. There is NO transport unit; so basically if you have 2 other critical patients and your 3rd patient needs to get an XRAY, YOU (the nurse) have to leave the floor and accompany/stay with that patient the entire time, while ur other 2 patients are being neglected.
Pros
it's temporary; dr.'s/intensivists/other healthcare professionals are very smart/pleasant
Cons
everything- management/pay/lack of help..just everything
fast paced place to work
unit clerk (Current Employee) –  daytona beach floridaSeptember 3, 2015
Hardest part of the job is there usually is no happy medium as far as how busy you are. I enjoy the patients and the staff I work with.
Not a good place to work
RN Staff (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLMarch 10, 2014
Very patient Unfriendly. Nursing patient ratio in Icu unsafe! I've worked with some great nurses and some that were neglectful and abusive. Even when brought to the attention of management not only was nothing done, you were now seen as a trouble maker. Our job as a nurse is to advocate for the patients. But when one stands up to doctors that withhold information or down right lie to the patient and family, your time there will be limited.
Pros
large hospital with lots of opportunities for learning
Cons
dishonest, self serving drs. terrible management
Very challenging environment
Physical Therapist Assistant/Rehab Tech (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLMay 12, 2015
Very challenging work environment. Very difficult supervisors, very difficult low level patients. Individual skills are not rewarded. Very good coworkers, but over stressed. Most difficult part of the job is dealing with the supervisory staff.
Great place
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLMay 25, 2015
A typical day involves providing quality care to patients; interacting with patients and their family; interacting with co-workers. The most enjoyable part of my job involves caring for patients and their family.
Halifax Health is a work friendly environment to be with decent pay and great benefits.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJanuary 16, 2015
A good place to learn and grow at.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLApril 22, 2014
Atypical day at work could start out hectic for the first four hours and balance out to a comfortable night at work after the first four hours. I have learned the importance in team work, organizing and prioritizing. I can honestly say that I have worked with some excellent team members. The importance of our unit is to eliminate all I's and adopt we mentality; therefore, strengthening our work unit. The hardest part of my job has been attending the funeral of my fellow co-worker who left behind her young children. And, the most enjoyable part of my job has been providing care to our aging population. It give me great privilege to attempt to say thank you to all my seniors who made it possible for me to be in here today.
Environmental Aide (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLMay 10, 2013
Housekeeping for Halifax I have to admit is not the perfect job. But I learned a lot of things and had quite an experience.
benefits
Cons
n/a
Great place to work, wonderful nursing team and doctors
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJune 26, 2014
Cardiac intervention unit at Halifax Hospital fast paced unit with lot of variety of patients: chest pain,CHF, COPD,post cardiac catheterization with or without interventions, post pacemakers/ICD, post cardiac ablations. These patients are requiring a lot of teaching and communications with families.
Pros
i like my current place
Cons
moving to nc close to children

2.9