Hallmark Employee Reviews

Great for young people or retired people
Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Macclenny, FLMarch 3, 2017
Hallmark is a good company however there's little room for advancing your career unless you relocate. Management is good and very hands on. Jennifer works with my schedule but ask me to remain flexible which is difficult sometimes. Their pay is below average to average with not many benefits for PT people. I enjoy working solo and having the support of my manager. I just wish they had more opportunities for growth and the pay was better. They change procedures a lot which is confusing but my manager is always great about helping me and explaining stuff. I feel appreciated which is nice but would like more pay.
Pros
Flexibility, good management
Cons
They change how to do things constantly and no benefits or upward potential
Great company with reactive security practices
Control Center Operator - Security Operations (Former Employee) –  Liberty, MOJanuary 15, 2017
Hallmark Cards is not what it used to be by far. Don't get me wrong it was a great place to work up until they froze my pay and added more responsibilities. Hallmark takes no proactive measures to ensure employee safety. They only put policies into place after something happens. The security staff at Hallmark were all professionals when I left with many part time retired police officers and state patrolmen on staff. Security management had all these professional law enforcement minds with years of experience to tap for ideas and never did. Security management now is a joke. An Engineer has no business leading the security department. He could barely do his job when hallmark fired the existing security manager and made him the security manager.

So glad I left. Now they are hiring people with no security experience at all and the whole department has gone to pot. The few people that were there when I was hate their jobs and are just holding on for the retirement benefits. Really sad!
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Don't take security seriously
No sick days
Order Processor (Current Employee) –  Liberty, MOJanuary 9, 2017
Hallmark has a no sick day policy, as well if you don't have any accountable PTO or PTO in general they will threaten you for termination. I've had pancreatitis for over a month and I can't use any PTO because I don't have enough in my PTO bank. (Paid time off) they also won't let you take VTO if you need it, which is (voluntary time off) they go by seniority always, so that means no room for advancement opportunities.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
poor management
Fast passed job with lots of walking
Order Processor (Current Employee) –  Liberty, MOSeptember 8, 2016
Lots of order processors all trying to work quickly and efficiently to ship their work while being in a confined space for that many people. Overtime is daily and even covers most weekends. Management makes sure you understand that you getting your work done is more important that the two 15 minute breaks you have. They do provide a half hour unpaid lunch though.
Pros
on site cafeteria, pays decent, healthcare benefits can be good if you chose the right one
Cons
no social life because you are always working overtime, if you are not fast enough or make too many errors there is no raise nor job movement
Ok job. No benefits. Low,pay. Low hours.
Merchandiser/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  MidwestFebruary 9, 2017
Hallmark doesn't seem to be in touch with its work force. Corporate makes random decisions that seems to have little foresight. They hire majority of part time workers so they don't have to provide any benefits or a great deal of pay. Pay is really low. No,incentives to perform well. Management seems to care less than the actual workers. No real attempts are made to improve sales. Mediocrity will rule the day.
Pros
Independent
Cons
Pay, no benefits, no way to achieve or be promoted.
Loved my coworkers; little chance for advancement
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Whitehall Township, PAFebruary 22, 2017
I loved my time working for Hallmark Heritage Shops. The upside: great coworkers, flexible boss, fun place to work, nice customers, laid back atmosphere. The downside: the owner did not give raises no matter how long you'd worked there unless you got a promotion. Everyone was paid minimum wage regardless of experience. Opportunities for full-time work were also limited.
Pros
laid back, flexible
Cons
no benefits, minimum wage only
Great first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rockton, IlMarch 8, 2017
This was my first long lasting job and overall it was good, I was eased into customer service, and was able to feel comfortable there. I worked there a little over 8 months and the people that came in were pretty good to work with. I love hallmark products so my biggest problem was spending all of my money there. It didn't allow raises and we were stuck at minimum wage, but it was my first job and I did not have a problem with that.
Translation Reject Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 12, 2017
I audited orders processed from the everyday pass and re-input corrections. Worked with competitive orders changing their stock number over to a Hallmark stock number. Trained new employees on order input. Processed special writing instrument orders and worked with systems analyst group to solve order problems.
Pros
Grreat lunch room! Fresh food every day.
Cons
did't have a great salary base
Best place I have worked
Department Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSMarch 8, 2017
Manufacturing plant that was surprisingly family oriented. Very supportive of family time and needs. Good benefits. Entry level position caused tendentious but was moved to a clerical position as soon as possible. Training was great. Good work environment. Frequent overtime available.
Pros
Benefits and pay scale was great. Job security was great.
Happy postive work environment
Retail Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 21, 2017
Started the day with smiles and positive attitudes with all employees that continued throughout the day. Sometimes had to work with upset customers or frustrated ones but always ended up taking care of the customer and they left happy and the employee usually felt relieved and still had a positive attitude because they had just learned how to take care of the situation at hand if it were to arise again. Hardest part of the job was sometimes with product coming in getting it out in store in timely manner and Unconsolable customers (where a few).
The most enjoyable part of the day was usually everyone leaving with positive attitudes and looking forward to coming back the next day
Pros
promotional give aways, meeting designers
Cons
retail hours at holiday time

Want to know more about Hallmark?

Ask a question
Depends on the location you work at
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAMarch 8, 2017
I believe all Hallmarks are privately owned; and the one I worked at had horrible owners. They were very unprofessional and treated their employees horribly. They closed down after I quit.
Pros
Good salary, awesome merchandise
Cons
Horrible management, privately run
No room for advancement
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Murrysville, PANovember 8, 2016
Doesn't pay well or no benefits. The work life balance was good and job culture was fun. Also liked working with employees
flexible hours but pay isn't good and not much chance to move up
Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MO 64141January 18, 2017
its a good relaxed retail job , except for holidays which can get hectic and its mandatory you work the day before and after a major holiday.. no bonuses or pay raises.
Pros
flexible hours, good part-time
Cons
not enough hours, pay
Nice place of employment, Excellent employees to work with
Order processor (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTAugust 3, 2016
A typical day would consist of filling various orders for locations that sold Hallmark products. They are a very employee friendly company to work for and stressed safety in and out of the workplace and well as a strong code of ethics. Hallmark believes in an open door policy with their employees so we always felt comfortable going to management with any questions and concerns. Hardest part of the job I had at Hallmark was packing cartons in their season section of the distribution center. The most enjoyable part of working there was being able to participating in special projects to improve our jobs, with ergonomics and safety.
Pros
reward program for going above and beyond what is expected of us.
Cons
changes in retirement benefits, insurance, and closing of Enfield Distribution
Love this job
Assistant Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 8, 2017
Went to my stores and did my job and able to work during the week and no weekends. They redid all there areas and got everyone close to home and not a lot of travel. There was weekends and a lot of Holidays that we had to work after this. I know this is a card company and expect this. At this point I was having to work lots of stores because lots of people had left the company. The company at this time would not hire any more people until they where done with restructuring the company. It became to much I could not get any help and at this time I was a Territory Assistant I was over about 25 stores.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
long hours, weekends, holidays
They are horrible to work for
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYMarch 7, 2017
Not the best company to work for if you want the management to appreciate you for the work you do for them I only got complements from the customers for how great I was with them. And when I customer would lash out at me for no reason I got yelled at by the manager in front of people instead of taking into the office to talk. Would never work for this company again I worked so hard for them did what they asked and got let go from them because they didn't have the room in their company anymore.
Pros
Great Discounts on Merchandise, & wonderful Customers
Cons
Not enough pay, Schedule Sucked & Management
Fast pace work with ALOT of mandatory OT
Order Processor (Former Employee) –  Liberty, MOMarch 25, 2017
Good job for someone with no family or kids. It literally takes all of your time with the OT and management is HORRIBLE they don't care about your life.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Overtime, management
Don't work here
Order Processor (Former Employee) –  Liberty, MOFebruary 13, 2017
Nooooo people are the problem management do manage good for seasonal not career. I wouldn't waste my time . Work is slow. Good discount. Ppl don't get along high turnover
Pros
Hall 20 percent discout
Cons
Drive is far
Ok job if all overtime was voluntary!
Order Processor (Current Employee) –  Liberty, MODecember 4, 2016
Have been working mandatory ot including weekends since the end of August! You have to do it, make it up, or get fired. Isnt so bad when only 8 hours are required of you. Body feels exhausted every weekend sometime too tired to work and calling in because of all the ot. Would never miss work if i was only working 8 hours or ot was voluntary. Or ot didnt last months at a time.
Pros
Good pay, flex schedules
Cons
Too much mandatory overtime, cafe serves same food constantly, accountable for calling in on chargeable ot days, could be fired for not doing mandatory ot
No way to advance
Lead RM (Former Employee) –  Peru,IlMay 22, 2016
I don't have much else to say,other than I worked for them for 16 years,was the cleanest store in the area,no incentive to do better.when I started we got paid vacations,then they got rid of those,we only got a quarter raise in July,no more sometimes less or none at all.New people usually got hired in close to what I was making after years.I never called in sick,did all I was supposed to do.wm management sucks,they treat us as scum,always have an excuses why they can't give you the space you are supposed to get.cant enjoy holidays anymore as Hallmark expects you to work every day before and after. Customers are. So rude.Rarely able to take breaks,Then there was the big job incentive,so we could get more hours,what a joke,they offered you a store,if you didn't take it you were just out of a job,plus you were to share half the not enough hours with a newbie.always had to fight for bin space with WM. Caused me so much grief I had a stroke at work,was forced to quit.
Pros
Cons
No extra anything.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hallmark. Our community is ready to answer.