Hallmark Employee Reviews

Dying Company
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Middletown, NYMay 24, 2017
Good job to have if you do not require a lot of hours. Business has slowed due to the dying need of cards. Each store is independently owned so every store is different. Many stores have closed.
Pros
Lots of products sold
Cons
Lack of hours
Wonderful experience with this company
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Marshall, TXMay 23, 2017
A great job if you're retired, mom of young children, a student, or just wanting something to earn a little extra spending money. I worked here while going to college with a child under 2. The hours are very flexible, and the job itself is not overly challenging. The only cons are dealing with store management, and leaving everyday covered in glitter. My supervisor was absolutely wonderful, always willing to help and answer questions, very understanding of time I needed to miss for something school related or to tend to my child. Had great experience with the other workers in my area. I would recommend this job to anyone looking for something part time.
Pros
Flexible hours, work at your own pace
Cons
Store management
Productive and fun place
Sales Associate/ Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 23, 2017
Great place to work.
Working with the public and helping them get
the cards or gifts they need.
Very organized and easy to get along with the other employees
Pros
an hour for lunch
Cons
Healthcare
Beautiful place to work!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXMay 23, 2017
I work for the best manager in the world! My co workers are the greatest group of women to work with,we work as a team! New merchandise every day! Everyday is like Christmas,opening new stock.
Pros
No stress, Christmas time is like living in a fairy tail, beautiful, every thing you could possibly want for a unique gift
Cons
Pay is low
Only good if you have someone to pay your bills
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 22, 2017
Working in stores such as Walmart and Walgreens on holidays, especially Black Friday. Poor management. Constantly called on days off. Not for hours to be worked. I know everyone has different experiences with different managers. Dealing with stolen merchandise. Cleaning up after customers. Lucky to get 2-5 hours per week in the summer. As per my title, if you want this job have someone with a good job to pay your bills because you'll be homeless
Pros
Flexible hours, work alone
Cons
Not dependable income, poor management
You're better off collecting cans.
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 21, 2017
You can only work certain hours, and like 2 days a week. I was assigned to two stores that had horrible turnout. The walgreens managers, not your actual boss expected you to get 6+ months worth of cards out in 2 hours. When the holidays come, you're expected to put together displays with unclear instructions. I ended up fired as it became too overwhelming and I had no help. It's set up to fail.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
see above.
High Paced Always Changing
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Allen, TXMay 20, 2017
Upbeat atmosphere, where you are able to connect with guest on a personal level. Management is lacking in stores, Store Managers are left to do it all it being the only full-time position in the retail stores.
Culture is unique it being still owned and ran by the Hall Family. The disconnect would be the communication from corporate to retail.
Pros
Discount, People Connections
Cons
Long Hours
great place to work. a lot of gift products and a large selection of cards
Sales Assosiate (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILMay 20, 2017
A beautiful place to work with lots of fun product and loved reading all the cards. great,faithful customer base. low pay and not much room for advancement. The customers were the high point and I really enjoyed setting up the seasonal cards as well as the new incoming card lines. I also really enjoyed operating the cash register and entering data into the computer.
Pros
discounts and a relaxed small business feel to it
Cons
a working lunch and no breaks. low pay
fun job but weird management
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXMay 20, 2017
My manager really ruined the job for me. We had a dress code and she refused to comply to that. She was more of a boss than a leader. Even at other locations it seemed like
whoever was manager just ran it however they wanted to.
Pros
good customer service experience
Cons
low pay
Fun and slow paced place to work.
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Carroll, IAMay 19, 2017
This job is fun to do and pretty simple and straight forward. I enjoy dealing with the customers and the other employees. My boss is pretty great not a lot of conflict.
Pros
great discount, calm enviorment
Cons
no full time hours
No compassion
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, GAMay 18, 2017
I enjoyed my job with Hallmark until they let me go because I spent my moms last few days alive at her side. I will never recommend Hallmark to anyone. Nor have I purchased a card since they treated me like that
Pros
Cons
Lack of compassion for loss
Awful management
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Parma, OHMay 17, 2017
I see all the reviews here people say they have good managers and were left alone a lot. My experience with this company and the manager of my previous territory was completely the opposite. She never left me alone. She would always visit my store even when I had already gone to it for the week. She would always check to see if I made a mistake always around when she had other stores to visit. Not a good experience. Was a complete and total waste of my time and job search.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Manager
Good job if your look for approx 6 hour in the summer ,if you are working with a teammate to 15 during week before and after holidays.
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 17, 2017
Fast pace, long standing on feet, heavy lifting of boxes, and raises stink! I worked for the company 7 years with a raise every year but still only ended up with a $1.05 raise the whole time. Not going to get rich at this job. You only get paid mileage if you go over a certain amount and that only happen if you help on installations, which is once in a blue moon. You have to go over 15 mile to get paid mileage and the store you are sent to normally are not that far.
Pros
Good if you have a husband that works and you want spending money.
Cons
Dealing with store management, pay, working on holidays
Interesting and challenging
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Southington, CTMay 15, 2017
A tremendous amount of work and responsibilities which is fine with me but a VERY limited time to be able to accomplish all that needed to be done. Difficult.
Pros
Interesting and challenging
Cons
Impossible limit of time.
hallmark work
Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSMay 14, 2017
loved the work the people and the pay was amazing i was going to be hired full time but some paperwork got messed up and i am now looking to work there again
Depends on the co-workers
Key Holder/Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Massapequa Park, NYMay 14, 2017
This job is fun because there are a lot of new products to look a, however, mine was in a very slow mall which made the days drag on. If you are planning to work here I recommend submitting an application with a friend.
A fine temporary job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Olney, MDMay 14, 2017
This job is ideally suited for students seeking temporary employment for a minimum wage salary. The tasks needed are easy and the work hours flexible, and the work environment is low impact and friendly. It makes a great first job! However, a more experienced employee may be bored by the pace of work and frustrated by the inability to move upwards past a supervisor position.
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
No upward mobility
Flexible schedule
MERCHANDISER (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAMay 14, 2017
Glitter all over you, and inability to find stock within stores on route, heavy boxes were the down side. The upside is that you could move your schedule aroud to a certain degree as long as holidays were up when time.
Pros
Meet people
Cons
Frustration with find stock
Only two good managers out of more than 25 years of service
exempt employee (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 13, 2017
I was a Hallmark lifetime employee. Like so many others, I was laid-off due to automation. Hallmark tends to like to hire external young/millennial employees vs. promoting tenured employees which is a real shame.

The company culture and senior management team is incredible, but middle managers are not. In 25 years of service, I had TWO managers that were outstanding and the others were only marginal and a few were downright BAD.

Great company with good benefits when it comes to 401K match and profit sharing and discounts on products and other things in the community. As a company, Hallmark is incredibly generous from a financial and volunteer spirit standpoint. Kansas City is rightfully proud of having Hallmark in our own backyard.

Hallmark has provided me a lot of wonderful opportunities that I would not have had should I have not worked at this incredible company. It was a sad day when I left.
Pros
401K match, discounts, company is filled with really NICE people
Cons
hires external millennial candidates vs. filling from the inside
fun, peaceful place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 12, 2017
you are surrounded by christmas ornaments and stuffed animals, and cute little nic nacs :)

the people are usually nice and you get a lot of recurring customers who collect items.

Most of the customers are just there to pick out a card so they mainly like to be left alone. i loved unpacking shipment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hallmark. Our community is ready to answer.