Hallmark Employee Reviews

Awful
Order Processor (Former Employee) –  Liberty, MOFebruary 22, 2017
Sign in, go to work typical day. If you're sick they won't let you go home. If you don't have any PTO and you leave for an emergency forget it bud... you're fired
Loved my coworkers; little chance for advancement
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Whitehall Township, PAFebruary 22, 2017
I loved my time working for Hallmark Heritage Shops. The upside: great coworkers, flexible boss, fun place to work, nice customers, laid back atmosphere. The downside: the owner did not give raises no matter how long you'd worked there unless you got a promotion. Everyone was paid minimum wage regardless of experience. Opportunities for full-time work were also limited.
Pros
laid back, flexible
Cons
no benefits, minimum wage only
Happy postive work environment
Retail Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 21, 2017
Started the day with smiles and positive attitudes with all employees that continued throughout the day. Sometimes had to work with upset customers or frustrated ones but always ended up taking care of the customer and they left happy and the employee usually felt relieved and still had a positive attitude because they had just learned how to take care of the situation at hand if it were to arise again. Hardest part of the job was sometimes with product coming in getting it out in store in timely manner and Unconsolable customers (where a few).
The most enjoyable part of the day was usually everyone leaving with positive attitudes and looking forward to coming back the next day
Pros
promotional give aways, meeting designers
Cons
retail hours at holiday time
Very sad
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaFebruary 21, 2017
Ordered cards, put orders out, straightened cards. 2-3 hours 3 days a week. Only hire part time. Not enough hours to complete everything. Managers come and go. They really could care less about their employees. A lot of work for very little pay. Best part was getting a ornament every Christmas.
Pros
Ornaments
Cons
Several
I was sorry to see it end.....
Accounting Controller (Former Employee) –  Wayne, PAFebruary 19, 2017
I had hoped to finish out my career with the Hallmark franchisee owner that I worked for. Sadly the economy and the expansion of Hallmark into local food chains and drug stores destroyed that.
Pros
The working enviroment was great!
Job descrption
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Marshall, MNFebruary 15, 2017
Did stocking, inventory, open and close the store, customer service.

I pretty much was in the store by myself and the hours were ok.
Pros
self manage the storre
Cons
Pay was not up to the wage
Don't work here
Order Processor (Former Employee) –  Liberty, MOFebruary 13, 2017
Nooooo people are the problem management do manage good for seasonal not career. I wouldn't waste my time . Work is slow. Good discount. Ppl don't get along high turnover
Pros
Hall 20 percent discout
Cons
Drive is far
Ok job. No benefits. Low,pay. Low hours.
Merchandiser/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  MidwestFebruary 9, 2017
Hallmark doesn't seem to be in touch with its work force. Corporate makes random decisions that seems to have little foresight. They hire majority of part time workers so they don't have to provide any benefits or a great deal of pay. Pay is really low. No,incentives to perform well. Management seems to care less than the actual workers. No real attempts are made to improve sales. Mediocrity will rule the day.
Pros
Independent
Cons
Pay, no benefits, no way to achieve or be promoted.
fun, keeps you going
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mission, TXJanuary 30, 2017
It the kind of job that keeps you going at all times. I am the type of person that have to be moving at all time doing something. Lifting boxs that are at lest 50 pounds each. I like to fix stuff that needs to be fixed.
Part time employer
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Haltom City, TXJanuary 25, 2017
My experience with Hallmark was short-term, but for the time I worked as a retail merchandiser, my impression was that the company is fairly conservative and a decent employer.
Fun loving environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 25, 2017
The ladies that I worked with were amazing. Very clean environment. Everyone worked very well together. This location is no longer open.
Pros
discount on products, friendly environment
retail is retail
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CAJanuary 24, 2017
Very busy, sometimes more work than time allotted, some store employees were helpful and generous and some were not, management was awesome.
Cons
No coverage if you missed a day
Decent first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Strongsville, OHJanuary 23, 2017
The team I worked with was amazing. The hours were not consistent. Employee perks were not that great considering the high cost of most merchandise. Store closed and I lost my job because of lease problems. Most shifts were very slow and I was usually very very bored.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Little hours, low pay
Great place to work, learned much about retail
LEAD ASSOCIATE-KEYHOLDER (Former Employee) –  Chicago Ridge, ILJanuary 23, 2017
Again, thoroughly enjoyed working in the Chicago Ridge Hallmark store. Loved the employees, customers and manager. Quickly learned the roll of lead associate with many responsibilities and having no previous experience with the cash register.
For some unknown reason, was let go prior to Christmas rush. Manager felt it was taking too long to learn everything. Wrote it off as a personality conflict somewhere. Was a total shock and to this day still don't understand what truly went wrong.
I did have problems with the cash register but was coming along, was a lot to learn and oftentimes the computer end of register was slow or locked up. Very frustrating, time consuming and lead to customers waiting. Not good.
Great experience but bad result. Chalked it up to experience.
Creative environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIJanuary 22, 2017
I was able a lot to decorate for the holidays, and arrange displays when new products came in, and as i am an artsy soul, I loved doing that. There was an excellent employee discount as well, which was a constant temptation; I wanted to buy everything in the store.
Pros
Employee discount, decorating
flexible hours but pay isn't good and not much chance to move up
Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MO 64141January 18, 2017
its a good relaxed retail job , except for holidays which can get hectic and its mandatory you work the day before and after a major holiday.. no bonuses or pay raises.
Pros
flexible hours, good part-time
Cons
not enough hours, pay
Hallmark
Cashier, Team Member (Current Employee) –  Colonial Heights, VAJanuary 17, 2017
Hallmark has an amazing system of teaching customer service to others. In addition, how to create an amazing work environment with your fellow team members and management staff.
Great company with reactive security practices
Control Center Operator - Security Operations (Former Employee) –  Liberty, MOJanuary 15, 2017
Hallmark Cards is not what it used to be by far. Don't get me wrong it was a great place to work up until they froze my pay and added more responsibilities. Hallmark takes no proactive measures to ensure employee safety. They only put policies into place after something happens. The security staff at Hallmark were all professionals when I left with many part time retired police officers and state patrolmen on staff. Security management had all these professional law enforcement minds with years of experience to tap for ideas and never did. Security management now is a joke. An Engineer has no business leading the security department. He could barely do his job when hallmark fired the existing security manager and made him the security manager.

So glad I left. Now they are hiring people with no security experience at all and the whole department has gone to pot. The few people that were there when I was hate their jobs and are just holding on for the retirement benefits. Really sad!
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Don't take security seriously
Very slow and boring
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJanuary 13, 2017
Hallmark is a very slow and boring as a job. Usually only one employee so not much interaction. Very tedious and repetitive and you are only allowed behind the counter when checking someone out otherwise you always have to be dusting, organizing cards, etc.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Not a lot of hours, boring and slow, lonely
Enjoyable work environment.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYJanuary 12, 2017
Overall a low stress environment, a wonderful customer base and a cooperate office that is easy to deal with. Systems are archaic, and policies feel dated.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hallmark. Our community is ready to answer.