Halloween City Employee Reviews in United States

Best place I ever worked for
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 1, 2016
I loved my job at Halloween city. The managers were amazing and extremely comfortable and kind. They listened to my concerns and ideas and gave me the freedom and trust to advance in my career.

Every day I would show up and they would assign me my cash drawer after that they trusted me to man the front of the store and I was given a walkie-talkie to contact other co-workers while I worked. It was a very laid back environment and extremely fun place to work.

My co-workers were very nice and helpful and hard working. They hired a lot of people on probation and I felt that was very kind of them. Some of the best co-workers I had were there for probation mandatory but they were very kind and hard working.

The hardest part of the job was keeping the storey clean and organized. We got extremely busy at times and it made keeping everything clean very difficult.
Pros
freedom, trust, kind co workers, nice managers, fun environment
Cons
occasional breaks, very busy, hard to keep organized (Still not bad cons)
Active and entertaining enjoyable place to work!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJanuary 17, 2016
A typical day working at Halloween City is constantly picking up trash from the floor, cleaning, directing costumers into specific locations of merchandise, and putting up costumes where they need to be. I learned how to multi task, work at a very fast pace, how to handle the dressing rooms, and good costumer service skills. The management was successful, we usually had the main manager and two other managers working all the time due to how busy the store would be. My co-workers were all helpful, and positive, fun people to work with! The hardest part of the job was trying to get the entire store cleaned by a specific time. The most enjoyable part of the job was successfully helping costumers find the exact items that they needed.
Pros
Getting a discount on costumes, having flexible schedules, and having fun managers and former co-workers.
Cons
Having to constantly be picking trash up from the floor.
Great seasonal job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJanuary 3, 2016
Worked consisted of stocking shelves with merchandise each day and displaying the merchandise in a presentable, simplified layout for the benefit of customers. I learned how to organize the merchandise into appropriate sections based on which target markets the store meant to sell to; I also learned how to use a cash register for the first time, which was much more simple than I expected. Management was pleasant on average except in times of store rushes. The co-workers were lively and responsible people who did their jobs as needed. The hardest part of the job was to deal with store rushes. The most enjoyable part of the job was walking down the isles and looking at the variety of costumes that the store had to sell.
Pros
Employee discount, flexible hours
Cons
distraught managers
Mostly fun seasonal work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXOctober 18, 2015
A pretty basic seasonal retail position. Wages were fair, though benefits were basically non-existent.

My manager was good at her position, but not very approachable. She was very strict and you could be fired for the smallest and most minor things. It felt like we had to walk on eggshells around her.

It was a lively environment, and there was plenty to do, though the destruction of merchandise by customers can get annoying.

A nice start-up position.
Pros
Fun place
Cons
Strict boss, seasonal and temporary
Happy atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newton, NJJune 8, 2016
I made lots of close friends with the people I met at Halloween City that I will keep for my lifetime. My typical day at work always left a smile on my face. I learned how to help customers, and how to organize the work place. The management was happy and friendly, and I never had to be afraid of talking about difficulties in the workplace. My coworkers always cheered me up after a rough day at school, and we were a great team. The hardest part of the job was the fact that I couldn't work often enough, but that was what made my time there valuable. My most enjoyable part of the job was the way the children smiled when I helped them pick out the perfect costume.
Pros
Happy atmosphere, first job
Busy and productive atmosphere
Seasonal Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAMay 16, 2016
At any moment you can be on call. Coming in you get assigned either to be a cashier or on the sales floor; sometimes both. We greet all customers and provide help to their needs.Working here I learned retail and sales. How to do inventory, sale products, and keep good communication among customers and co-workers. Also learned how to enjoy and have fun while doing my job. Though there were some challenges, retail was new to me to convince a customer why they needed a product with the right communication, started off difficult but became to over come it. Overall the working environment is really enjoyable.
Pros
Fun place to work at
Super fun!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West VirginiaApril 15, 2016
I had a great time working here! I had fun seeing all of the different costumes and decorations. I loved piecing outfits together for customers. I loved that I could wear the hats or funky headbands or the boas during my shift. There were two things that I did not like about this job: working the fitting room and walking along the road with the Halloween City sign. Every time I was placed on the fitting room, I felt like dying. It seemed like 50% of the people that were trying on costumes had no intention whatsoever to buy them. And they always picked out the costumes that were super hard to fold and put back in the bag. Plus, there were some people that had some serious body odor and when they would hand me the costume, I wanted to burn it and charge them for it. Whatever you do, refuse the fitting room!
Pros
Fun environment, play with costumes
Cons
Rude customers & the terrible fitting room
Amazing work inviornment with fun and friendly employees
Cashier, Floor assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MIApril 26, 2016
Halloween City was an amazing experience. Everyone was friendly from the other employees to the management. Another pro is all of the interesting people you meet there, those who love Halloween and go all out on costumes and decoration or those who have no idea what they want but want it big! and Halloween city employees are there to assist an any was possible. On weekends we were allowed to wear the costumes while helping the customers to help give them idea of what they want and for a more friendly environment when shopping.
Pros
able to wear costumes
Cons
only a sesonal job
Productive and fun work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 9, 2015
A typical day at work started off slow in the morning and when child came in without parents items were broken and or stolen, by the child or the parent themselves. I learned even child pick up their parents bad habits. Management she had to work other locations, but came or called when needed. The hardest part is telling a customer they are stealing costumes, by shoving two costumes in one bag while they are in line denying the facts. The most enjoyable part of the job was wearing costumes on Halloween.
Pros
Get to wear costumes to work
Cons
Had to buy the costume from work.
Unorganized Managment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, UT 84405April 11, 2016
A typical day of work would consist of repairing items, repricing items, and being a cashier. My manager would favor the employees, letting others slack off because they were her friends. She would also assign blame. When the area manager would tell my manager she needed to change things, or that she wasn't doing things properly, she would assign the blame to the employees that she didn't like much. The hardest part of the job was working with unhappy customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to see all the new costumes and decorations.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
short breaks, stressful environment
everything was awesome
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Albans, VTMarch 14, 2016
the management was incredible, the co workers were very sweet and there were no hard parts to the job because i was considered one of their best sales associates!
Pros
great pay and amazing management!
Cons
Fun and Exciting Environment!!!
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYMarch 23, 2016
I absolutely loved working at Halloween City. It was fast paced most days. I loved helping customers find costumes and accessories to make their Halloween and memorable one. There were times I helped create costumes with customers out of other costumes when what they had in mind was not what we had available. Made some lasting friendships after the season ended. The hardest part of the job i would say was probably when it was super packed the closer it got to Halloween. But otherwise the job was pretty straightforward. Sadly the job was only seasonal but I would love to work there again.
fun, entertaining workplace
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Canton, MIJune 8, 2016
Halloween City, was the most fun job I have held so far. getting to help customer with their needs in costumes was a blast. everyone their was so nice and fun to be around. The environment of the workplace made it a joy to go to work. Management was honest and fair, always giving us new positions to keep things interesting, Came out of their with so many new and improved skills, and some new life long friends.
Pros
Get to wear costumes, fun exciting people, breaks
Cons
its seasonal
Fun Enviornment
Assistant Manager-Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Westminster, COFebruary 15, 2016
Fun environment but company culture could use some work. They are a bit unorganized so if you start working here, you are your best advocate.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAMarch 1, 2016
A day at work at Halloween city was educating, I learned customer service skills and retail skill, along with communication skills. Management was organized and well mannered. My co-workers were very well put together, hard workers and easy going.
Fun work place, friendly co-workers
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 12, 2016
Halloween City was actually a fun place to work. I worked with a variety of different types of people. There was never a dull moment there. Our manager was also great! The best part of the job was closer to Halloween when us employees got to dress up as different characters each day. But the hardest part was on the day before, and the day of Halloween, the store was super busy, like Black Friday busy. Everyone was being pulled five different directions by customers trying to get that last minute shopping done.
Pros
Flexible schedule, off in time to get dinner done before husband came home from work.
Cons
Extremely busy
productive and fun workplace for Halloween
Store Clerk (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Holland, OHFebruary 8, 2016
A very fun place to work during the Halloween season. Fast paced and entertaining. Co-workers and Management were all great to work with and very helpful.
Pros
discount on inventory
Cons
seasonal and low hours
Interesting Job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Covina, CADecember 1, 2015
A typical day was opening up the store counting out registers to get the day started.
I learned how to make bank drop offs and how to open up the store.
Management was a great and I was proud to be apart of the team. Working and supervising my fellow coworkers was something new and it taught me about authority.
Hardest part of the job was that it was only seasonal I wish it were longer. Most enjoyable was seeing the satisfied customers.
attempt customer service and no one will be the wiser
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJuly 8, 2016
You are not really monitored to do well, nor encouraged for that matter.
As long as you answer questions for customers, stock items and, clean messes, no one in management will bother you. Hard work is not paid off.
Pros
fun enviroment, wear one of the costumes for halloween in the store
Cons
short shifts, no 8 hour shifts, expect 10-20 hours a week
Productive and laid back
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTAugust 25, 2015
Productive place to work but at the same time was laid back. Management was decent. No room for advancement or raises. Seasonal job.

4.2