Halloween City Employee Reviews in United States

Unorganized Managment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, UT 84405April 11, 2016
A typical day of work would consist of repairing items, repricing items, and being a cashier. My manager would favor the employees, letting others slack off because they were her friends. She would also assign blame. When the area manager would tell my manager she needed to change things, or that she wasn't doing things properly, she would assign the blame to the employees that she didn't like much. The hardest part of the job was working with unhappy customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to see all the new costumes and decorations.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
short breaks, stressful environment
Amazing work inviornment with fun and friendly employees
Cashier, Floor assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MIApril 26, 2016
Halloween City was an amazing experience. Everyone was friendly from the other employees to the management. Another pro is all of the interesting people you meet there, those who love Halloween and go all out on costumes and decoration or those who have no idea what they want but want it big! and Halloween city employees are there to assist an any was possible. On weekends we were allowed to wear the costumes while helping the customers to help give them idea of what they want and for a more friendly environment when shopping.
Pros
able to wear costumes
Cons
only a sesonal job
Fun and Exciting Environment!!!
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYMarch 23, 2016
I absolutely loved working at Halloween City. It was fast paced most days. I loved helping customers find costumes and accessories to make their Halloween and memorable one. There were times I helped create costumes with customers out of other costumes when what they had in mind was not what we had available. Made some lasting friendships after the season ended. The hardest part of the job i would say was probably when it was super packed the closer it got to Halloween. But otherwise the job was pretty straightforward. Sadly the job was only seasonal but I would love to work there again.
Fun and Hard Working
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pocatello, IDMarch 14, 2016
Working at Halloween City was both extremely fun and tiring, the people I worked with were nice and funny and if I could I would work there for the rest of my life just because it was a place where I was able to be myself and still be responsible about my work, plus it was my very first job so it helped me with work experience and my confidence.
Pros
Fun working environment, friendly coworkers, confidence boost.
Fun work place, friendly co-workers
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 12, 2016
Halloween City was actually a fun place to work. I worked with a variety of different types of people. There was never a dull moment there. Our manager was also great! The best part of the job was closer to Halloween when us employees got to dress up as different characters each day. But the hardest part was on the day before, and the day of Halloween, the store was super busy, like Black Friday busy. Everyone was being pulled five different directions by customers trying to get that last minute shopping done.
Pros
Flexible schedule, off in time to get dinner done before husband came home from work.
Cons
Extremely busy
Super fun!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West VirginiaApril 15, 2016
I had a great time working here! I had fun seeing all of the different costumes and decorations. I loved piecing outfits together for customers. I loved that I could wear the hats or funky headbands or the boas during my shift. There were two things that I did not like about this job: working the fitting room and walking along the road with the Halloween City sign. Every time I was placed on the fitting room, I felt like dying. It seemed like 50% of the people that were trying on costumes had no intention whatsoever to buy them. And they always picked out the costumes that were super hard to fold and put back in the bag. Plus, there were some people that had some serious body odor and when they would hand me the costume, I wanted to burn it and charge them for it. Whatever you do, refuse the fitting room!
Pros
Fun environment, play with costumes
Cons
Rude customers & the terrible fitting room
Great seasonal job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJanuary 3, 2016
Worked consisted of stocking shelves with merchandise each day and displaying the merchandise in a presentable, simplified layout for the benefit of customers. I learned how to organize the merchandise into appropriate sections based on which target markets the store meant to sell to; I also learned how to use a cash register for the first time, which was much more simple than I expected. Management was pleasant on average except in times of store rushes. The co-workers were lively and responsible people who did their jobs as needed. The hardest part of the job was to deal with store rushes. The most enjoyable part of the job was walking down the isles and looking at the variety of costumes that the store had to sell.
Pros
Employee discount, flexible hours
Cons
distraught managers
Productive and fun work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 9, 2015
A typical day at work started off slow in the morning and when child came in without parents items were broken and or stolen, by the child or the parent themselves. I learned even child pick up their parents bad habits. Management she had to work other locations, but came or called when needed. The hardest part is telling a customer they are stealing costumes, by shoving two costumes in one bag while they are in line denying the facts. The most enjoyable part of the job was wearing costumes on Halloween.
Pros
Get to wear costumes to work
Cons
Had to buy the costume from work.
Interesting Job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Covina, CADecember 1, 2015
A typical day was opening up the store counting out registers to get the day started.
I learned how to make bank drop offs and how to open up the store.
Management was a great and I was proud to be apart of the team. Working and supervising my fellow coworkers was something new and it taught me about authority.
Hardest part of the job was that it was only seasonal I wish it were longer. Most enjoyable was seeing the satisfied customers.
Productive Workplace
Cashier/sales associate (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro orNovember 19, 2015
I loved working as a seasonal employee at Halloween City.
I got along well with my co-workers and it was safe to say that I was very happy during work.
I enjoyed working as a cashier and helping our customers find everything they were looking for. I answered questions and helped build our customers costumes. I loved my manager, she taught me many things when working in retail and I really appreciate everything she taught me.
Pros
workplace
Cons
n/a

Want to know more about Halloween City?

Ask a question
Fast-Paced And Challenging
Market Manager (Former Employee) –  Central MANovember 23, 2015
Truly a decent company to work for. There is a lot more physical demand than what you could expect, from building stores to tearing them down. But there is a lot of corporate support and team players involved.
Opportunities to move forward are very bleak, as this was seasonal.
Pros
A good amount of productivity and great environment
Cons
No insurance coverage--use of a personal vehicle
Active and entertaining enjoyable place to work!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJanuary 17, 2016
A typical day working at Halloween City is constantly picking up trash from the floor, cleaning, directing costumers into specific locations of merchandise, and putting up costumes where they need to be. I learned how to multi task, work at a very fast pace, how to handle the dressing rooms, and good costumer service skills. The management was successful, we usually had the main manager and two other managers working all the time due to how busy the store would be. My co-workers were all helpful, and positive, fun people to work with! The hardest part of the job was trying to get the entire store cleaned by a specific time. The most enjoyable part of the job was successfully helping costumers find the exact items that they needed.
Pros
Getting a discount on costumes, having flexible schedules, and having fun managers and former co-workers.
Cons
Having to constantly be picking trash up from the floor.
Seasonal Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYDecember 9, 2015
Halloween city varied in the amount of customers that came in, we changed a lot of displays, kept the store looking clean, helped out parents and adults pick out the right costume for them. The management was terrible, my co-workers were no exception. The hardest part about the job was keeping the job, the most enjoyable part was the holiday itself.
Wonderful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTFebruary 1, 2016
I loved working with Halloween City. It was so amazing to have an environment that felt so positive and that I have done so well in. Working there helped me create friendships and create business partnerships that will last a lifetime.
Pros
Positive Outcome, Wonderful staff
Cons
N/A
Enjoyed my experience
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIFebruary 9, 2016
Was only seasonal but it was rewarding and a good new experience of retail and I would have wished it was not seasonal. My associates were always happy and loved Halloween so it made it easier to get things done.
Pros
relaxed fun place work place
Cons
Not permanent
Great company to work for. I enjoy helping families and little one dress up for halloween every year.
general manager (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CADecember 23, 2015
My days were very busy and high paced. Goes perfectly with who I am. I prefer a busy day to a slow day, more people I get to enter act with the better. I learned so much this season at Halloween City. Most important thing I learned and will take with me everywhere I go is how to Manage a full team. How to make the job fun and successful at the same time. My employees were amazing and I kept my whole crew the entire season (which is not easy to do being a seasonal, minimum wage job). The most enjoyable part of my job was and always will be the interaction with the customers wether it be phone calls about an item or face to face interaction. My day was successful if my customers walk out, or hang up that phone happy.
Pros
Getting different ideas of costumes and party ideas. Family costumes are great!
Cons
It was not easy to get ahold of payroll with time clock issues.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAMarch 1, 2016
A day at work at Halloween city was educating, I learned customer service skills and retail skill, along with communication skills. Management was organized and well mannered. My co-workers were very well put together, hard workers and easy going.
Very fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORFebruary 14, 2016
Very fun & upbeat seasonal job. Lots of fun even when it's busy & chaotic.Very rewarding to take part in building up a store thats empty & assembling racks & seeing the finished built up & running store.
Pros
Discounts, get to dress up at work
Cons
only seasonal
Halloween City
Cashier, Customer Service, Stock (Former Employee) –  St. Clair Shores, MIJanuary 7, 2016
Consisted of meeting different people everyday.
I learned about communications.
managers were kind, helping, motivational.
hard workers, dedicated.
maintaining different work place at once.
seeing everyone smile and having fun while working/shopping.
Mostly fun seasonal work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXOctober 18, 2015
A pretty basic seasonal retail position. Wages were fair, though benefits were basically non-existent.

My manager was good at her position, but not very approachable. She was very strict and you could be fired for the smallest and most minor things. It felt like we had to walk on eggshells around her.

It was a lively environment, and there was plenty to do, though the destruction of merchandise by customers can get annoying.

A nice start-up position.
Pros
Fun place
Cons
Strict boss, seasonal and temporary

4.2