Hamilton County

Hamilton County Employer Reviews

Depends on where in the county one works as to the culture
Family Law Paralegal (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHMay 10, 2014
Over 10 years of employment-some courts/departments are better than others.
Behind the curve with style of management and compensation
Director of Operations (Current Employee), Noblesville, INAugust 31, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: political barriers
Each day started with checking and responding to important e-mail. Investigated complaints from public safety agencies. Worked with vendors to coordinate repairs, upgrades, and new installations of equipment. Attended meetings with various public safety representatives, and political leaders of the communities in Hamilton County.

Developed good communication – more... skills and the ability to make presentations in front of groups. Gained knowledge in budget management for a department with nearly a 7 million dollar budget. Experienced the opportunity to manage a large staff of diverse personalities and job skills.

As a government employee, the management oversight is the Board of Commissioners. They have a limited knowledge about how each department functions, and decisions are influenced by political pressure. This managerial structure makes it difficult to make changes and receive approval for expenditures. It is difficult to get the necessary resources to perform effectively.

The administrative team functions well as a team, however there is some division among the different squads of employees. Establishing a teamwork environment for 60 employees is a major challenge. As a newly consolidated center, it was staffed by employees of the 3 dispatch centers in Hamilton County, and several employees from dispatch centers in the regional area. Merging a large group of people from various centers has proven challenging.

The most challenging part of the job as an administrator is trying to convey to a group of politicians what the needs of the department are and to obtain the needed funding. The political representatives from each community in the county are responsible for paying a percentage of the budget for the department. Everyone is concerned about being conservative with spending, which becomes a barrier to provide the necessary resources to the dispatch center. Most politicians do not truly understand the nature of the job of a 9-1-1 dispatcher, so they fail to understand the needs.

The most rewarding aspect of the job is the ability to help other people and make a difference in the lives of employees and citizens. There are many instances where bad things happen to people and there is nothing that we can do to help, but there are other times where we get the opportunity to intervene and make a significant difference in someones life. It is always personally rewarding to be supportive of my staff. When my primary responsibility was to answer calls in dispatch, it was always rewarding to be able to provide assistance, support, and compassion to people in need. – less
A fantastic place to work.
Certified Teacher /Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Chattanoga, TNMay 13, 2013
I loved teaching young people. A typical day at work was long and never boring. The job required lots of commitment and passion for your profession.
They did there job
Child Care Provider (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHNovember 5, 2012
Pros: watching them eat and seeing them all playing together.
Cons: when they took a nap.
Working with kid I enjoyed. I know that every child is different. I was basicly self employed. I didn't have to deal with anyone, but except the kids children that I cared for. The hardest part of my job was to see a child neglected and me not really being able to do anything about it. The best part was preparing the children for school and they were – more... ready when there time came to go to school. – less
GOOD BENEFITS
9-1-1 TELECOMMUNICATOR (DISPATCHER) (Current Employee), Chattanooga, TNJuly 7, 2012
THE MOST DIFFICULT PART OF THE JOB IS THE CONSTANT ROTATION OF OFF DAYS.
Provided home health care
Home Health Aide (Former Employee), VariedFebruary 13, 2012
Pros: variety of people, situations, no boredom here!
Cons: travel in winter could be difficult.
Interesting job with a regular change in clients/cases, providing variety and interaction with different people. Worked with Hamilton County nurses, who helped make you better at your job by providing relevant advice, back-up, etc.