Hamilton County Employee Reviews

High standards, micromanagement
Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 4, 2017
Common core has brought high standards, and coaches dictate the smallest aspects of lesson plans, even to experienced teachers with Masters' degrees. Burnout and disillusionment runs high, because most teachers work incredibly hard without recognition.
Interesting
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 9, 2017
Everyone is ready to start the day. My supervisor is exceptional in that she takes control immediately as soon as she gets in the office. I start the day making sure that messages are retrieved from the phone. Newspapers are picked up. Emails answered and late filing done. The hardest part of the job is to make sure you know where everyone in the department is. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping others and being a team player.
Pros
Supervisor
Cons
Monotony, no challenges, and lack of opportunity for growth.
Loved my job
Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 18, 2016
very great business to run enjoyed all my daycare kids I still love them till this day even though they are all grown now they will always be my babies
Great part time job
Recycling Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hamilton County, TNAugust 31, 2016
I thoroughly enjoy working with the county. Everyone from management to regular personnel are great to interact with. Management is very accommodating and makes work more pleasurable. I gave compensation the lowest star only because I am part time employee and do not receive benefits...not sure what is offered. As far as job advancement is concerned....I surely hope that I will advance.
Pros
Great People
Cons
No benefits for part time
Great Place to Work
Deputy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, TXApril 5, 2016
Everyone at the Courthouse are very nice and great to work with.
Everyone willing to help each other. Great co-workers and boss
meeting new people
Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, KSFebruary 5, 2016
Preparing food for the residents and hospital patients. How to a variety of different foods, like bland diets, diabetic foods, for examples. We had fun while working together and had pleasant talks with each other. Saying good bye because I lost my home,
Talking with the residents.
Pros
samples of food
Cons
health care
fun place to work
Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 8, 2015
five star company enjoyable place to work, love with with my co worker confidentially, loyal to staff, friendly environment.
Children
School age child care (Former Employee) –  Hixson, TNNovember 3, 2015
I would get to work about 245 and get all the games and video games out. then at 315 we would go get the children and take roll call then have snack then it was homework then outside activities til six.
Mismanaged with toxic culture
Planning Administrator (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 19, 2014
Does good work, but badly mismanaged and a very unhappy culture.
Depends on where in the county one works as to the culture
Family Law Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 10, 2014
Over 10 years of employment-some courts/departments are better than others.
Behind the curve with style of management and compensation
Director of Operations (Current Employee) –  Noblesville, INAugust 31, 2013
Each day started with checking and responding to important e-mail. Investigated complaints from public safety agencies. Worked with vendors to coordinate repairs, upgrades, and new installations of equipment. Attended meetings with various public safety representatives, and political leaders of the communities in Hamilton County.

Developed good communication skills and the ability to make presentations in front of groups. Gained knowledge in budget management for a department with nearly a 7 million dollar budget. Experienced the opportunity to manage a large staff of diverse personalities and job skills.

As a government employee, the management oversight is the Board of Commissioners. They have a limited knowledge about how each department functions, and decisions are influenced by political pressure. This managerial structure makes it difficult to make changes and receive approval for expenditures. It is difficult to get the necessary resources to perform effectively.

The administrative team functions well as a team, however there is some division among the different squads of employees. Establishing a teamwork environment for 60 employees is a major challenge. As a newly consolidated center, it was staffed by employees of the 3 dispatch centers in Hamilton County, and several employees from dispatch centers in the regional area. Merging a large group of people from various centers has proven challenging.

The most challenging part of the job as an administrator is trying to convey to a group of politicians what the needs of the department are and to obtain
  more... the needed funding. The political representatives from each community in the county are responsible for paying a percentage of the budget for the department. Everyone is concerned about being conservative with spending, which becomes a barrier to provide the necessary resources to the dispatch center. Most politicians do not truly understand the nature of the job of a 9-1-1 dispatcher, so they fail to understand the needs.

The most rewarding aspect of the job is the ability to help other people and make a difference in the lives of employees and citizens. There are many instances where bad things happen to people and there is nothing that we can do to help, but there are other times where we get the opportunity to intervene and make a significant difference in someones life. It is always personally rewarding to be supportive of my staff. When my primary responsibility was to answer calls in dispatch, it was always rewarding to be able to provide assistance, support, and compassion to people in need.
Benefits
Cons
Political Barriers
A fantastic place to work.
Certified Teacher /Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chattanoga, TNMay 13, 2013
I loved teaching young people. A typical day at work was long and never boring. The job required lots of commitment and passion for your profession.
They did there job
Child Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 5, 2012
Working with kid I enjoyed. I know that every child is different. I was basicly self employed. I didn't have to deal with anyone, but except the kids children that I cared for. The hardest part of my job was to see a child neglected and me not really being able to do anything about it. The best part was preparing the children for school and they were ready when there time came to go to school.
Pros
watching them eat and seeing them all playing together.
Cons
when they took a nap.
Good benefits
9-1-1 TELECOMMUNICATOR (DISPATCHER) (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 7, 2012
The most difficult part of the job is the constant rotation of off days.
Provided home health care
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  VariedFebruary 13, 2012
Interesting job with a regular change in clients/cases, providing variety and interaction with different people. Worked with Hamilton County nurses, who helped make you better at your job by providing relevant advice, back-up, etc.
Pros
variety of people, situations, no boredom here!
Cons
travel in winter could be difficult.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hamilton County. Our community is ready to answer.