Hamilton Relay Employee Reviews in United States

Great
National Marketing Programs Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 11, 2016
It's a fantastic company where because we work hard, they are very good about making sure we have a work/personal life balance.
Worst job ever
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAMarch 28, 2016
The job itself was fairly easy and it was not bad. The thing that made the job bad was HORRIBLE management. From the supervisors up to the center manager and then corporate ALL HORRIBLE!! Supervisors had the worst attitudes, never really wanted to help any of the agents. They did not care about employees having a personal life and personal emergencies. Your life either revolved around the call center or it didnt matter. The management picked favorites. The sups and center manager were all in together so if one did not like you they all did not like you for whatever reason. Center manger barely knew how to do his own job. Never had answers to questions when agents needed them. The environment was more so like a prison instead of a work place. Corporate was not there for agents either. Corporate would always side with management over the agents even if management was wrong. when we had complaints there was no confidentiality. Management would sit around and gossip about what was brought back to them privately by and agent. Their turn over rate is EXTREMELY high. People are constantly quitting because they can not stand to work in an environment that the Albany, Ga Relay center has. There is no way to advance fairly. They use people that have been there for years for what they need and then never advance them to higher positions. Instead they give higher positions to someone who has been there for 2 weeks fresh out of training. It is sad. It was by far the WORST company I have ever worked for. I would not even think about going back there. The list of negative things this company  more... portrays can go on for days. Look elsewhere if you are looking for a decent job and decent management. I can promise you that you will NOT find it at this establishment.  less
Pros
free health benefits for FT employment
Cons
short breaks, no freedom, bad management
peaceful and calm enviroment
Captionist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 2, 2016
Hard to stay awake at the computer all day.. lol very professional, challenging at times as far as being to type as fast as one talks, thank goodness for the pause pedal.
Pros
overtime unlimited
Cons
short breaks, no cell phones on the call floor
Relaxed environment once you have it down. Laid back.
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 16, 2016
I never made it out of training and was extremely disappointed. I felt it was a great fit for me. I barely failed the final test but home office would not make an exception. I loved how laid back everyone was. It is a small group of people currently as it is a fairly new office in this location. Tight knit group, family feel. Job consisted of merely captioning live phone calls via Dragon voice recognition for the hearing impaired for a CapTel service. Accuracy and speed, being able to keep up with everything the caller said, verbatim, and getting Dragon to understand you correctly was required.
Pros
Laid back, close knit group.
Cons
Getting a good balance between accuracy and speed on my calls.
Very poor management. Employees overworked and under paid
Maryland Relay Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 17, 2016
They requires too many work hours without proper compensation. A typical work day was exist of driving sometimes fours hours to an event waking up at 4:00 am the morning or earlier. It took away from family and social time.
Long, slow, and boring BUT good money.
Communication Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAJanuary 4, 2016
Too many messy people. Managers showed favoritism to those they wanted. The rules were not followed by everyone, including the Leads.
productive work place with family oriented enviornment
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 10, 2015
Working for Hamilton was a challenge for me from beginning to end. Coming from a fast paced enviornment of constant moving to sitting was hard to adapt to and effectively get used to. The co workers were very helpful as well as the leads and supervisors in explaining the goals and objectives of the job. The use of the ttys system was very complex at first but with proper coaching and the room for error and growth i was able to make improvements at a rapid speed. The hardest part of this job was not interacting with anyone over the phone but mimicking the computer and i am a people person so limited interaction was a challenge for me. I learned a lot about myself as a person on this job as a captioning assistant, I discovered my passion to help those in need is true but more on a hands on basis, to be a part of the solution as a person on the visual side to see the smile verses imagine one there.
Pros
benefits, flexible shifts, friendly atmosphere
Cons
constant change in rules and regulations
Easy Stress Free Work
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albany, GASeptember 27, 2015
I enjoy working for Hamilton Relay but the CA pay is not sufficient compared to some competitors. I feel that the lunch breaks should also be longer when working 8 hour days . Other than these concerns It is a great place to work . A great job to have while in college because of the low stress of the work and environment.
Pros
Easy Work, Great Benifits
Cons
30 min. lunches not long enough for an 8 hour day
Little room for advancement unprofessional environment
Training Assistant (Current Employee) –  Frostburg, MDJuly 30, 2015
It was a very unprofessional work environment. There was no room for advancement do to this fact. Employers played "favorites" rather than choosing most qualified.
Very productive work place
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAJuly 26, 2015
Very calm and laid back work place. Understandable management. Nice and respectable co workers and also supervisors.
Boring and lazy desk job
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Frostburg, MDJuly 16, 2015
I sat in a chair staring blankly at computer screen and was speaking in monotone robotic voice. No human interaction, however this job improved on my computer skills.
Pros
healthcare benefits
Cons
boring environment
A poorly managed place that values very little about their employees.
Caption Assistant (Former Employee) –  Frostburg, MDMay 9, 2015
Hamilton Relay may possibly be a great company to work for but the Frostburg, Maryland, location is not representative of that. The management there has very little, if any, traditional managerial education. The management constantly lacks consistency to the way in which questions are answered, to how policy violations are handled and to how, if at all, advancement is possible. The favoritism at this location is more than disturbing as well. Several ideal candidates were overlooked for a management position so that a relative of a current manager could advance despite having no formal management training and other current employees having experience and education credentials. Also, they use a system for pay increases called "levels". This program allows you to apply for a 50 cents increase each quarter. However, you can only ever gain $2 total from your original rate at hire and each quarter they can opt to remove or take away your 50 cent raise from the previous quarter. Also, Hamilton Relay does not believe in rewarding their employees for merit or loyalty with an annual raise, even in the slightest bit, so someone who has been there 5 years could very possibly be earning the same amount as someone who has been there 6 months. This company does not care about you work/life balance whatsoever. This is evidenced in their scheduling. You are expected to work 2 out of 3 weekends every month and also shifts that greatly vary from your standard schedule and very little turnaround time in between those shifts. For example, you may generally work 8 am to 430 pm for 3 days  more... in the Monday through Friday schedule and then on the weekend you will be given a 10 am to 630 pm shift on Saturday and then Sunday you will be scheduled 130 pm to 10 pm and then back to 8 am the very next (Monday) morning. The management blames this on staffing, who have the set Monday through Friday 8 to 430 pm schedule. You won't know most of your co workers as there is very little down time, lots of stress and few people on break at the same time in addition to an alarming high turnover rate. They penalize you for things like propping your foot on the trashcan in you cubicle, having more than two magazines or books for downtime in your cubicle and they also do not hold themselves accountable as a company should when their computer equipment fails and causes you to miss a portion of a call or drop the call entirely. However, they will tolerate a manager having an inappropriate relation with another employee (who was not a manager) and then talking about their escapades on the call floor openly in front of employees. Ironically, management claims they strive to create profession environment but I fail to see the professionalism in a manager sleeping with a lower level employee and talking about to other employees on the call floor. The most enjoyable part of the day is the last 3 minutes when you are able to set your call line to block calls and clock out. Do not be fooled; this company is filled with incompetent individuals who do not value anything about their employees.  less
Pros
You constantly stay busy
Cons
Weak Benefit/Healthcare plan, Weak/incompetent management, Inconsistency in handling policy violations
Ok job, but not everyone knew what they were supposed to do.
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aurora, NEMay 8, 2015
Management didn't know what was going on most of the time. It was easy work, but the points system is unrelenting and in order to get on the levels program you have to work ALL the time - and not just your scheduled shift!!!
Its cool
Caption Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAApril 7, 2015
Benefits are great.. Attendance policy is a it too strict I mean if ou are 30 sec late from lunch you get a tardy and after so many you are fired.
BENEFITS
Cons
working until 2am
great co-workers
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Frostburg, MDFebruary 6, 2015
Management did not know how to communicate with captioning assistants, but other than that a great job experience for someone young and in school.
The Frostburg Location
Operator (Former Employee) –  Frostburg, MDJanuary 7, 2015
I loved it there. You get trained. I think it was fun. My training class even won a pancake breakfast for getting 100% on a test.

After training I was nervous but excited to start on the floor. I loved busy days and down days. You would get regulars and they may be on calls for at least an hour. It may be exhausting sometimes but if it's a slow day it may not be that bad. I love the two breaks and lunch in between.

In this area the pay is pretty good, in my opinion, since you can provide for yourself without much help or any at all.

I loved deaf culture, although some people may not have cared or they lived too far away to go there when they aren't scheduled to work. Despite the fact you still are on the clock, some people didn't want to travel just to be there for 2 hours. I taught myself some ASL and was able to sign with the friendly deaf friend I had there :) Thank you.

Before working there you take a typing, spelling, and grammar test. Which is easy but some people may have problems with. After that you have an interview, as long as you pass the test. When hired you start training and you get monitored and have test to keep up with your accuracy.
Pros
benefits, positive energy, breaks.
Cons
sitting.
If you have a love for the hearing impaired you will love this job.
Communication Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 24, 2014
You are on the phone 95% of the time helping individuals who need your assistance to place important phone calls such as doctor appointments, pay bills or just may want to reach out to a family member. I learned that hearing impaired individuals want the same independency as hearing individuals. The co-workers were hard workers, the management was not at all that great. I enjoyed assisting with phone calls.
Very productive and quiet enviroment
Captionist Assistant (Former Employee) –  baton rougeAugust 11, 2014
Great work facility, good people and professionalism, great benefits, a good place to work and study at the same time. good structure and guidance,.
Pros
bonuses when you are on time and never absent
Cons
short breaks
Love the service that Hamilton stands for.
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 18, 2014
Love and appreciate the service that Hamilton represents to the deaf and hard of hearing community. There is a gap that is connected by the captioning assistance.
nice place to work
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 23, 2014
Everyone is friendly. We just come in and get the job done. I feel good that I am helping someone who is hearing impaired. I appreciate they are depended on me to be accurate in my captions and I take it seriously.
Pros
bonuses