Hamilton Relay Employee Reviews

I really did not like this job
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Frostburg, MDDecember 14, 2017
I am leaving this job because it is horrible, the management is very unorganized. They do not treat people like humans but instead robots, they constantly call you on your day off. If something happens that you have to call off, you are required to make it up and when they say, not when your available. They give you raises and then nit pick at every little thing you do so they can give you a bad review, then take your raise away. I was at almost $11.50 and they dropped me to $9. They don't like to go by availablity and schedule you pretty much whatever they want. They don't like to give vacation days and they don't like it when you have things outside of work and school that you have to request days off for, so they fight you on it and want several documentation of proof, they scheduled me for christmas after I ask for it off. You can not do anything but read( which you can never do because you don't even have time to breath between calls for 8 hours), they send people on breaks really early or really late, therefore you have to sit there longer. This is not a good place to work and I will not recommend anyone to go there.
Not a healthy environment
TSR Communication Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 13, 2017
My experience was that the training was okay - and even when I still didn't quite understand everything they passed me and told me "I was fine". Yet, I still had the impression I didn't know what I was doing and when I got to the floor (the actual job) "the cool management" treated me like a moron and "the uncool management" was kind to me. The atmosphere is like junior high school. If you're "cool" you get to treat "the uncool people" like garbage. It's very childish. And it goes all the way to the top. The rules change every day, based on the mood of the managers and who is running it that day. Turnover rate is ridiculous (likely because of this). People are constantly talking about looking for other jobs and "getting out this rat hole". And because of that, the manager that yesterday reamed you out for nothing is sweet talking you to work overtime because someone didn't show up for work (because they got another job and left without giving a notice). They pay is decent and if you work overtime, the money is even better. They pay your health insurance too. But that's about it. If you you are desperate for a paycheck and health insurance (i.e. if you can stand being abused until you find another job), this is it.
Pros
a paycheck, health insurance
Cons
abusive managers, abusive environment, large turnover rate which affects you, junior high level of attitudes
kind of boring but a job
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 8, 2017
there are definitely favorites and lack of professionalism but whats new. there is room for advancement but there comes along with it from what i witnessed stress .
quick paced environment
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 4, 2017
Hamilton is a good place to work. You have to be on time and pay attention to detail. At Hamilton's we help the death and hard of hearing so its important to pay attention to the captions
Pros
free health insurance
Cons
certain rules dont make sense
Highly reccommend
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 4, 2017
Being a captioning assistant is a hard thing to learn but once you're done with training its easy. This was a no drama, go and do your work, and go home kind of job. You're isolated from everyone in cubicles, captioning requires your undivided attention, and you can read between calls. Monthly bonus for perfect attendance and the Wichita location was very nice and new.
Pros
See review
Cons
Short breaks
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 25, 2017
I really enjoyed working for this company. I love helping people, and you get a chance to relay the conversation to hearing impaired individuals. Everything is very confidential, which gave people peace of mind.
Pros
Unlimited overtime
Cons
Short breaks, sitting the whole shift
Great
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 12, 2017
Great job to start off before you begin a career. I would recommend the job to any college student in need of paying off student loans. they have great benefits.
Hamilton Relay is an okay place to work
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, GASeptember 10, 2017
The pay is good but its a very competitive atmosphere. Stay to yourself and make your money. Take advantage of working overtime. Try to be as accurate as possible when captioning because they take their monitoring seriously.
Pros
Benefits, Schedule, Flexibility
Cons
Short Breaks, Favoritism, Holiday Pay
nice people to work with overall just extremely boring workplace and rude employees.
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 28, 2017
a typical day at work you usually would just get your headset and drink and go sit in a work space/computer and start relaying calls until your break and so on until your shift is over.
Pros
sometimes workers would bring snacks, and extra money for being on time and not missing any days.
Cons
short breaks, nasty bathrooms, rude management
Great job culture
Relay Operator (Current Employee) –  Frostburg, MDAugust 25, 2017
The job itself is stressful because you are required to memorize language for the calls we receive. However, when you are not taking calls you are allowed to read. The supervisors of each shift are not reliable, and policies on the floor are not upheld. For example, people will do things on the floor that is not allowed. However, the job culture is good. They work hard to make it more family-like.
High School Environment, Lacks Professionalism
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 23, 2017
Management at this company was not professional in the least bit. Members of management would make schedule adjustements, rule exceptions and break adjustments to people who where looked at as favorites. Details were always overlooked when I was employed here.
Laid Back
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 3, 2017
Working for Hamilton relay was very simple and to the point. The three weeks of training that the company does give you is well worth it if the individual does take advantage of it.
Fun place to work
Communications Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAAugust 3, 2017
A typical day here is being on the computer and phone and assisting tty users. Must be a good listener and able to type fast and accurate. Great customer service is a must
Good Company
Captioning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 2, 2017
I absolutely love my job and always recommend to people I believe are qualified. Hamilton has proven to be a good company and shows that they care for and value their employees.
Pros
Company paid health insurance
Cons
Nothing is perfect, there will always be cons to everything.
Requires a lot of patience
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAAugust 1, 2017
Requires a lot of patience and good listening and repetitive skills. Great training program to teach you the job. Hire in house first. Must practice confidentiality
Pros
Volunteer Hours
Cons
Hidden Monitoring
Great workplace, loved helping clients.
COMMUNICATING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAAugust 1, 2017
Enjoyed the job and helping others. Learned a lot about the hearing impaired community. Loved the games and interactions for the learning material to help understand the clients and the job better.
productive and very laid back company, and good work enviorement
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAJuly 30, 2017
the workers are very focused and well trained. This was the best job i have had since i started working. everyday would be laid back, no rude customers, we did not have to speak to the customer, or do any selling. we just provided captions for the hearing impaired.
Easy, study-paced work environment
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KS 67207July 27, 2017
The job overall is very easy going the only problem is the management running the company. The benefits are great they try and help get information for you but as far as the management team they can't get it together and everybody has something different they advise you on instead of coming together and making a solid decision and letting that stick. Unorganized.
Pros
easy, layed-back, bonuses and weekly attend bonuses
Cons
Bad unorganized management team
do not work here
Call Center Caption Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 26, 2017
They do not care about their employees! Horrible. No assigned seating. Horrible hours, No weekends or holidays off. Do NOT work here! Stressful test must be passed to get hired
Pros
easy job.. only repeating conversation
Cons
short breaks, strict
Enjoyed the work very much
Cap-tel Specialist (operator call center) (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 5, 2017
Hamilton's service to the deaf and hard of hearing is worthwhile and needed. Too bad the management doesn't feel the same way about it's employees. I will be glad to be more informative if a prospective employer would like more details.
Pros
Hourly rate and bonuses
Cons
Management or lack thereof.