Hamline University Employee Reviews

Fun atmosphere working with college students/beautiful campus
Accounts Payable (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 26, 2016
check in all incoming Check requests, purchase orders etc. Everything is date stamped in. Review accuracy for all vendor check requests and expense reports and the processing of graduation awards and so on, Year end assistance on 1099's. student refunds twice a week and a main check run once a week. Answering budget manager questions, vendor questions, emails and phone calls resolving any issues that may arise or missing payments and so on.
Pros
Love the job I do!
Cons
No raise in 5 yrs job security
Productive workplace
Accounts payable coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 31, 2017
I loved working for Hamline except for the job security was becoming a great concern, I learned so much from Hamline about AP and I have no regrets working there! The hardest part of the job was probably Fiscal Year End but made the job interesting as well. The most enjoyable part of the job was we were a small group in accounting and that creates a great team work relationship and everyone is usually smiles!
Pros
Great atmosphere and great environment
Cons
Job security was becoming an issue
Competitive environment
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNSeptember 15, 2016
Most of the workers were student-athletes, so the level of competitive among us was high. Always striving to achieve excellence either working at the front desk or customer service.
Too long ago to judge
Director of Security (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 8, 2016
Too long ago to make an informed judgement as my employment was well over 30 years ago. However, I am still an alum and have been able to observe the positive growth at Hamline.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Too far from home
Highly insecure; no support from upper management
Specialist  (Former Employee) –  St. Paul campusJune 20, 2013
Hamline is going through an extremely unsteady time. High turnover throughout the university, especially among upper management, has affected the culture and employee job satisfaction. It is financially unstable and mismanaged from the top down. Upper management and human resources do not support employees and compensation is comparably low.
Pros
Close coworkers
Cons
Mismanaged, unstable, low compensation
Hopefully Getting Better
ITS Service Desk Transition Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 9, 2016
A New president of the university was brought in 3 months before I left. Hopefully that will improve some of the issues endemic in the culture. The recession hit colleges hard and often more is asked of you than what your job or pay rate entails.
a very entertaining place to work for
Specialty Cook (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 28, 2015
the hardest part of my job is knowing that I have a certain amount of time to prep and began cooking before lunch. other than that its a nice environment, fun atmosphere, and a chance to learn and develop many skills in the kitchen.
Pros
free lunch and benefits
Cons
preparing a large amount of food with no prep cooks
Friendly Work place
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 8, 2016
Co-workers are all friendly and very task oriented so by them talking with me on breaks about all the things they are getting done in their day it motivates me to get the most I can done as well. It's an environment where everyone is on task and always happy.
Pros
Co-workers bring snacks
Cons
Paper work piles up
Fast paced, progressive workplace
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 7, 2015
As a security officer at Hamline University, a typical day would consist of opening or securing/closing buildings, patrol of the grounds by foot, bicycle, or vehicle, and ensuring the safety of the students, faculty, staff, and guests.

Responding to calls for help or service was the number one priority in the department. That being said, communication between dispatchers and officers, as well as between officers, was very important.

The most challenging part of the job was balancing calls and daily duties during busy times, to be sure that all assigned job duties were complete by the end of the shift.
The most rewarding part of the job was knowing that my assistance was helping others.
Enjoyable place to work
Program Assistant - Graduate School of Education (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 17, 2014
Enjoyable place to work, very flexible. Need more opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Enjoyable work environment
Cons
more room for advancement
Very organized
Office Assistant, Dean of Students Office (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 28, 2014
little busy work day.
Learned to handle things well.
Very organized management.
Nice co-workers
Cons
Reliable workplace in a challenging environment
Religion Teaching Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 11, 2014
I have had three jobs at Hamline University, all of which have been great learning experiences for me. As a teacher's assistant, I stepped into my leadership shoes and learned how to work with students who were in a position that I had been in many times before. As a lab prep assistant, I learned how to make the lab setting as safe as it could be while challenging myself and working efficiently. As a teaching apprentice, I got even more leadership experience and really went out of my comfort zone to show myself as a leader in the class.
Administration
Office Assistant, Dean of Students Office (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 5, 2014
Gained a lot of experience working in an executive office at the University.
Nice People
Program Administration (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 20, 2013
Job security is low. Employees are worried about that and daily activity is affected by that.
Pros
fun
Cons
job security
McVay Youth Program: after school program for urban youth
Fellow Mentor & Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 4, 2014
McVay is a great place to work and I enjoyed my time there very much.

Typical day:
3 PM--Pick up staff
3:30--Arrive at site and get ready for the day
4--Leave site to pick up participants
4:30--Most participants have arrived by this time
4:30-5:30--Homework help, youth projects, games
5:30-45--Clean up
5:45-6--Return participants to domiciles and return staff to University
Good experience and expand on knowledge
Volleyball event manager (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNAugust 23, 2012
The skills I have gathered from my responsibilities at Hamline will allow me to be successful in many ways in different areas. I have continued to be able to lead and direct peers as well as students to get things done in a correct and timely manner, I have also been able to expand on my own thoughts and Ideas. I have always worked as a part of a team and enjoy doing so.
Learned a lot of valuable skills
Accounts Payable Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJune 19, 2015
It was my job to enter data, file, and review invoices. I learned data entry, and office administrator skills. My supervisor was always supportive, and a blast to work for.
Productive, fun and friendly enviroment
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 25, 2013
Good place to work. Daily activities consisted in trouble shooting, account managing and coming up with new ways of developing learning material. Creating online courses and multimedia content. Developing media like images, videos, websites and interacting material.
A Nice Opportunity
Lecture transcriber (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNMarch 8, 2014
I transcribed lectures for the disabled and it was a very fulfilling experience. The pay was small but I was helping those in need so it did not matter.
Pros
Personal fulfillment
Cons
none at all
detail oriented
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 11, 2014
Everyday I learned something new, and able to tackle complex task, I was able to use my skills on the job. I was able to work independently and being a self starter, instead of being dictated on what to do.
Pros
developed skills
Cons
No social encounters

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hamline University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2