Hamline University Employee Reviews

It was okay there
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 28, 2017
Hamline suffers from many of the issues higher education faces. A lack of funding forces schools to fill valuable positions with adjunct professors and has little research to grow the programs or keep professors excited. Within these challenges though, the faculty were involved, energetic, and research was at least possible.
Good opportunity
Law Librarian & Associate Professor of Law (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 11, 2017
Life at Hamline University was interesting. Left before the changes occurred when Hamline University School of Law merged with William Mitchell Law School.
Simple, yet busy workplace
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJune 7, 2017
This place of employment involved student workers making food at a grill. This was meant to be a simple job, yet it was often irritating with its constant busyness, and unreliable coworkers that would often call in sick or simply not show up at all. Regardless, I learned that I had to be persistent and work my hardest regardless of hour difficult the situation could be. The most enjoyable part of this job was the manager that would make each night a fun experience.
Pros
Good hours, free meals
Cons
Confusing time clock system, unreliable coworkers, extremely busy
Great Student worker environment
Student Athletic Trainer (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 1, 2017
Great place to work as a full-time student. The hours were flexible and you were able to pick which practices or games you wanted best. Very fun job and got to interact with athletes from all sports.
able to do homework at desk
Welcome Front Desk Worker (Current Employee) –  Anderson CenterApril 28, 2017
working at the front desk is an easy job that allows a student to get homework done. Management was sub par, student managers and supervisor doled out punishments that were far beyond the transgressions of the workers.
Excellent work assigntment.
Cook Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 25, 2017
Work day started at 7am-4pm
What did I learn--Coordination of many establishments as a team; reducing wastage and theft.
Management--overall excellent.
Workplace culture--A team effort to feed 3,000 plus students, staff and faculty in five different eating establishments.
Hardest part of the job--Making sure enough supplies, equipment and student staffing was in place to keep all establishment running smoothly.
Most enjoyable part of the job--The feeling of a job well done at the end of a day, because of the staffing and management above and under my control.
Pros
excellent pay and free meals.
Cons
Breaks were too short at times and employees sometimes late to work.
Productive workplace
Accounts payable coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 31, 2017
I loved working for Hamline except for the job security was becoming a great concern, I learned so much from Hamline about AP and I have no regrets working there! The hardest part of the job was probably Fiscal Year End but made the job interesting as well. The most enjoyable part of the job was we were a small group in accounting and that creates a great team work relationship and everyone is usually smiles!
Pros
Great atmosphere and great environment
Cons
Job security was becoming an issue
Integrative Physiology Lab
Sports Medicine Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 4, 2017
Rewarding experience in a clinical lab setting. Worked directly with people and directly in data analysis. Access to future research presentations (Like NCUR).
Too long ago to judge
Director of Security (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 8, 2016
Too long ago to make an informed judgement as my employment was well over 30 years ago. However, I am still an alum and have been able to observe the positive growth at Hamline.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Too far from home
Competitive environment
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNSeptember 15, 2016
Most of the workers were student-athletes, so the level of competitive among us was high. Always striving to achieve excellence either working at the front desk or customer service.
Fun atmosphere working with college students/beautiful campus
Accounts Payable (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 26, 2016
check in all incoming Check requests, purchase orders etc. Everything is date stamped in. Review accuracy for all vendor check requests and expense reports and the processing of graduation awards and so on, Year end assistance on 1099's. student refunds twice a week and a main check run once a week. Answering budget manager questions, vendor questions, emails and phone calls resolving any issues that may arise or missing payments and so on.
Pros
Love the job I do!
Cons
No raise in 5 yrs job security
Friendly Work place
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 8, 2016
Co-workers are all friendly and very task oriented so by them talking with me on breaks about all the things they are getting done in their day it motivates me to get the most I can done as well. It's an environment where everyone is on task and always happy.
Pros
Co-workers bring snacks
Cons
Paper work piles up
Hopefully Getting Better
ITS Service Desk Transition Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 9, 2016
A New president of the university was brought in 3 months before I left. Hopefully that will improve some of the issues endemic in the culture. The recession hit colleges hard and often more is asked of you than what your job or pay rate entails.
a very entertaining place to work for
Specialty Cook (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 28, 2015
the hardest part of my job is knowing that I have a certain amount of time to prep and began cooking before lunch. other than that its a nice environment, fun atmosphere, and a chance to learn and develop many skills in the kitchen.
Pros
free lunch and benefits
Cons
preparing a large amount of food with no prep cooks
Learned a lot of valuable skills
Accounts Payable Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJune 19, 2015
It was my job to enter data, file, and review invoices. I learned data entry, and office administrator skills. My supervisor was always supportive, and a blast to work for.
Fast paced, progressive workplace
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 7, 2015
As a security officer at Hamline University, a typical day would consist of opening or securing/closing buildings, patrol of the grounds by foot, bicycle, or vehicle, and ensuring the safety of the students, faculty, staff, and guests.

Responding to calls for help or service was the number one priority in the department. That being said, communication between dispatchers and officers, as well as between officers, was very important.

The most challenging part of the job was balancing calls and daily duties during busy times, to be sure that all assigned job duties were complete by the end of the shift.
The most rewarding part of the job was knowing that my assistance was helping others.
McVay Youth Program: after school program for urban youth
Fellow Mentor & Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 4, 2014
McVay is a great place to work and I enjoyed my time there very much.

Typical day:
5:45-6--Return participants to domiciles and return staff to University
Tutoring
Tutor (Former Employee) –  1536 Hewitt Ave, St Paul, MN 55104July 23, 2014
-Assist Teacher during Transition periods
-Sit down with one or two students who need help
-Assist teacher in demonstrating something for the class
-Walk around the room to make sure everybody is working
-Split in to groups to perform group activities
University Life is Great!
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 12, 2014
Working for university is great. Pay could be more but that is negotiable. Great facilities.
Great institution to work for and coach at.
GOLD HEAD COACH (Current Employee) –  Lakeville, MNMay 12, 2014
Daily work with our teams catchers and hitters to develop our players to the greatest of their abilities.