Hampden-Sydney College Employee Reviews in United States

Fun workplace
Study Abroad Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampden Sydney, VAApril 12, 2016
Had a good time working at H-SC. Professors and coaches are easy to work with and friendly. Many good options for students to make money.
Not productive workplace, loud
Astronomy/Physics/Calculus Tutor (Current Employee) –  Hampden-Sydney, VAMarch 12, 2015
Typically a tutor sits in a designated classroom that is open to all students, usually in the evening for a couple hours. Students are encouraged to come to you with questions regarding relevant current coursework, i.e. homework help or test preparation. The hardest part of the job is dealing with students who have no business being in a given class to begin with - the tutor feels like they have to build up this student's knowledge from the ground up in limited time with limited resources. An example would be a physics student who has yet to take a calculus course. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I get to get my own homework done during slow periods.
Pros
get own homework done
Cons
limited hours
A very good college if one takes advantage of the opportunities it offers
Computing Center Student Technician (Current Employee) –  Hampden-SydneyMarch 31, 2015
This is the college I attended as an undergraduate. The professors are very good at teaching and engaging with students. The only thing I didnt like was how expensive its tuition is. But, its a private liberal arts education, so that's to be expected.
Great Working Environment
Head Resident Adviser and Basketball Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamdpen-Sydney, VAFebruary 3, 2015
Typically I meet with the Dean of Residence Life Once a Week
Then I would attend basketball practice everyday
I learned time management skills, communication skills, interview skills for my team
Helping Students improve their speaking skills
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Hampden Sydney, VAJuly 19, 2013
I enjoyed working as a speaking tutor.

For three hours a week I handled appointments with students listening to a range of speech topics.

Hardest part of the job was keeping the twenty minute limit with each student when there were more issues to discuss
Pros
money while i went to school, independent work enviornmen
Cons
low hours
Good people to work around
IT Technician/Telecommunications Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fuqua Computing CenterMay 28, 2014
I learned the way things need to be done and in which order (prioritizing). I learned to make purchase orders and how to talk to customers in a happy and understanding manner. The hardest part of the job is sitting around waiting for scans and installs to finish.
Good College Job
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Hampden Sydney, VAJuly 17, 2013
Working for the college can help with books and meals off of campus. I learned how to build expansive theater play sets, building platforms and tables. A typical day maybe cleaning, organizing, and building using power tools. Not really too hard or time consuming. Can advance in pay the years after you start.
Pros
great for pocket money
A great place to work with an amazing culture and reputation
Assistant Men's Lacrosse Coach (Current Employee) –  Farmville, VAApril 26, 2013
A typical day at work is spent breaking down film, watching & scouting.

Practice preparations

Recruiting

On game days helping set up the field and ensuring it is ready to go for game time.
Pros
great people & atmosphere
Enjoyable work enviroment.
Manager (Debbie Maxey) (Former Employee) –  Hampden Sydney, VAMay 3, 2013
The people there are very friendly and it was a very easy job for me to do. Learned many new things there such as jenzabar, and many other office work. It was the best job I ever had.
Great schoo
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VANovember 13, 2012
I loved my time at HSC and wish i could live the past 4 years over!
Pros
challenging and productive place to be
Cons
not always rewarded for your triumphs
Fraternity
Presidents Leadership Council Inaugural Member (Former Employee) –  Hampden Sydney, VAMarch 4, 2014
It was a fraternity. We had fun together. Hung out all the time.