Hampshire College Employee Reviews in United States

See reviews about:
Prep Cook
Part-time Cook (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAFebruary 2, 2016
It was an ok company to work for, but I decided that I wanted to something else. The work station I was assigned was acceptational and it was a decent job
Fantastic supervisor, work environment, and responsibilities
Humanities Intern (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAJanuary 14, 2016
At Hampshire, I create posters for events and new courses regularly. I also attend faculty meetings, assist faculty in publicizing their work, and help students connect with their professors.

My supervisors are supportive, positive, and extremely helpful. I am not just an intern, I'm a valued member of the Humanities program.

I love helping students and faculty interact with one another and thinking of new ways to promote the Humanities program.
Pros
Opportunity to gain experience in Photoshop, event planning, student engagement, and higher education, great supervisors
Cons
Very modest pay
Mission driven institution
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJanuary 27, 2015
Mission driven institution education for change. Community is actively engaged in the governance structure and committed to fostering the core values of social justice and diversity.
Great learning possibilities
Assistant Event Planner (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MEJanuary 18, 2015
Had a fantastic mentor who taught me what it was like to be in the events industry. I came into work and checked hundreds of emails from people who were looking to book an event at the Red Barn or bring their camp to our facilities. I learned how to manage my time and plan events with coworkers. The most difficult part of the job was only being there for a summer, and so I wish that I had more time getting to know the business. I absolutely loved working with clients and planning their events.
Enjoyable, friendly working Environment
Teachers' Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAOctober 7, 2014
As a Teachers Assistant at Hampshire College I was expected to work independently with college students to help them refine their project ideas and push them in a suitable creative direction. We divided the students up amongst the three TA's into focus groups and would discuss their progress from class to class. I would also meet with each student independently as they worked on new material for the course, or I would lead a class wide critique. I found that students responded more positively to class critiques, where they received a greater variety of feedback from their peers rather than meeting solely with their teacher. My experience here reinforced my preference for peer-based learning, wherein students are allowed to pick and choose the kind of feedback that best suits the way they work. I appreciated the responsive mode of teaching used by the professor, and always felt heard. The most challenging part of the job was maintaining each person's interest in their own projects, as many of them had never produced a clearly defined 'series' of work. However, I took great joy in working with each student to help them develop their own expressive languages.
Pros
highly informative, friendly and highly educated staff, spatious working environment.
Cons
unpaid.
Progressive College looking out for it's students.
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJuly 23, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that I was making the campus a better place to be.
Excellent Employer, Poor Pay
Research Assistant/Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAAugust 26, 2013
As this was a work-study job, it did not pay that well. But Hampshire is a great place to work for with other amazing people.
Extremely supportive and flexible for continuing education
Graphic Designer and Web Assistant (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAMarch 30, 2012
After working for Hampshire for 3 years I decided to make a career change. My supervisor was supportive of this decision for the next 2+ years allowing me an extremely flexible schedule throughout the two year process.
Pros
culture/values
Cons
very independent department, not much team-building

4.7