Hampton City Schools Employee Reviews

Excellent co workers, very organized
Special Education Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampton, Virginia 23669April 12, 2017
This job is challenging and very rewarding, obstacles to overcome everyday. The psychology of the job is very intriging and helpful in dealing with students. Managment is very appreciative on a daily basis. The hardest part of the job is behavior management.The most enjoyable part of the job is watching the students learn and become competitive in learning.
Pros
Grandmas sweet tea made fresh everyday for staff
Cons
Budget changes from year to year and not for sure if you will have a job for the upcoming year.
cool
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAApril 7, 2017
it was ok just the kids was nasty and not well behaved staff gossip and drama. older building mold and dust .pay was ok for monthly periods. and the lead custodian was problematic and rude
Pros
lunch
Cons
gossip
Pretty routine and great benefits
Driver (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 11, 2017
I enjoyed my interaction with the students, it was a fun and energetic environment to work in. The pay wasn't that great but my peace of mind was good
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 13, 2016
A good place to work. Gives people a chance. Very challenging at times. If you love working with kids this is the place to be. Everyday you learn something new.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Short breaks
Working with students is unpredictable, but it can be rewarding
Instructional Assistant Special Ed (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VASeptember 9, 2016
Like any jobs it has it ups and downs but all-in-all there are some really nice people working for the Hampton City School District but we're there to provide the students with their educational needs to help them get a jump start with there life choices.
Great place overall
Secondary School Counselor (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAMay 11, 2016
If you enjoy working with students and building relationships in a small community, this is the place for you. Benefits and compensation could be better.
Exceptional School System to work for!
Early Intervention Reading Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAMay 5, 2016
I am currently an Early Intervention Reading Assistant who helps children improve their reading and SOL/BENCHMARK scores in reading. It is a very rewarding job working with small groups of children who are excited about learning to read better.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Best Place Ever
Video Broadcast Tech (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAMarch 24, 2016
Great place to work no real problems wish it was here in florida.. great hours benefits and pay. Was like a family.Learned alot there. Loved doing football games
Pros
Great place
Cons
This was a progressive school division where the class sizes were larger than the neighboring school divisions.
Educator for grade 3 students (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAMarch 20, 2016
A typical school day at work here was very busy but still pleasant. The hardest part of the job was that there were many extra duties to be achieved along with your co-workers. I learned here that I love a challenge and working with my students in small groups on the subjects they have more trouble with. The most enjoyable part of the job was recess and the class team competitions. Management was not in the classrooms often yet they did call for staff meetings once or twice a week after school.
Pros
Free lunch for all students, a small community school, school plays
Cons
Short planning time, old ventilation system that caused dust
A typical day at work
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAMarch 17, 2016
A typical day at work began at 7 am with phones ringing from teachers seeking substitutes. Sometimes I would have to arrange 25-30 substitutes out of 100 teachers before 8 am in the morning which made the start of my day very stressful. I also had a 50 mile one way commute, which made this the hardest part of the job. I learned that I am very capable of multi-tasking, filling in as a team player when needed. Management was very supportive. Co-workers were very family oriented. The most enjoyable part of the job was contact with parents/students/teachers which I found very rewarding.
Pros
Makes you feel like you make a difference everyday
Cons
Sometimes too busy to have a break just to eat... many days at my desk..
Good environment
Food Service 1 worker (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAMarch 2, 2016
Working with great people and learning new methods of cooking. I also manage to move up with them starting on fruit and being moved to a cook.
Pros
Off on weekends
Cons
No benefites
Fun and interesting place to work
SECRETARY I (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAFebruary 17, 2016
Busy and fun and enjoyable to work at. There lots of excitement daily but overall a great place to work at with great benefits .
Pros
hot lunches
Cons
having to sign a yearly contract
Supportive staff and management
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VANovember 22, 2015
o Assisted teacher with classroom instruction.
o Processed grades into the computer.
o Maintained files for students.
o Escorted children to and from classroom.
Teaching little ones to read
Early Reading Intervention Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VASeptember 27, 2015
It is always so fun to wake up and go to work, just to be with my little ones. I love teaching them to read using different. ways.
Pros
Fulfillment
Cons
Part time
Enjoyable work environment
Secretary II - Athletics (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJuly 29, 2015
I learned so much while working at Hampton City Schools. I feel my talents & skills were used every single day. I loved working with the students. Seeing their progression through their school years was a high light of my tenure with the school system. When I attended their sporting events and saw the pure joy of them seeing me there to back them was nothing short of a blessing. The co-workers, administration, staff & teachers all cared for the students in like manner. I miss it.
Pros
The students
Cons
Long hours. Leaving the job.
Very productive and I love working with the children.
Early Reading Intervention Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAMay 14, 2015
I look forward to working with my children. Time management is very important. My co-workers are very supportive. The hardest part of my job is that I have to work in the classroom in a small group and it is very distracting and the children cannot focus with everything else going on in the class. The most enjoyable is when my children learn a new skill and master it.
Frequent change in administration
Graduation Facilitator/Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAApril 26, 2015
Staff was promoted based on friendships, on merit. Roughly 20% of the staff left the county just last year to obtain jobs in neighboring counties.
Pros
I was allowed to move up to Graduation Facilitator before the new administrative staff took over.
Cons
Lack of constistancy in leadership
Enjoyed teaching kindergarteners.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAApril 3, 2015
The day began with a series of songs, designed to promote the retention of everyday basic skills such as the days of the week, the months of the year, counting, the alphabet, and good manners. Later, specific lessons were implemented to target specific skills.
Pros
the stories that kindergarteners tell
Cons
three flights of stairs
Great
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAApril 1, 2015
Great place to work if you love children, have a minimum of an associates degree, and have great patience. I was only a substitute but i enjoyed my time there as I was there for so long as a part time and seasonal employee. Go for it!
Teaching/Coaching was a thrill.
Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 15, 2015
Early to school. Late to get home. Working four or so jobs within the district to make ends meet. But at the same time enjoyed making a difference in the lives of inner city children. Teaching was a great career while my children were finishing up their high school education. I was afforded the opportunity to be with them throughout those years. College education of my children forced me to go into a different career path.
Pros
Great relationship with inner city children
Cons
Force Reduction

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hampton City Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3