Hampton City Schools Employee Reviews

Quick and knowledgable
MEDICAL CLERK/RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 30, 2018
Ensured that students and faculty received basic health care if necessary and documented everything that happened and filed accordingly. Doubled as a receptionist as well.
Great training
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 27, 2018
Work can be stressful depending on which school you are located in. Be firm. Some managers are great and helpful, some are disrespectful. The culture needs improvement.
A good start
Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 26, 2018
A good school system to work for. The expectations where good. The school system took care of the employees. The environment allowed for collaboration.
Collaborative and team oriented organization in which to work and grow.
Curriculum Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 5, 2018
HCS is a great place to learn and grow, expand your skills set, and work collaboratively with a great team of people. High will, high skill individuals who are passionate about what they do have multiple opportunities within this organization to thrive.
Great co-workers
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VADecember 22, 2017
Salary is not suitable for a Master's degree and no real opportunities to get promoted or new lateral positions. Workplace can be stressful and a lot of work outside school hours with no compensation or pay. Little incentives and teachers have to wear too many hats and have to pay for supplies themselves due to budget. Met some great co-workers and everyone works hard to help students.
Pros
Great Co-Workers
Cons
Short breaks, little compensation, lots of budget cuts and out of pocket expenses
The job was great
Food serving (Former Employee) –  Hampton VirginiaNovember 2, 2017
The job was great I enjoy cooking for the kids I enjoy preparing the food for the kids I enjoy in Iraq with the children's talking with the children's some of my employees was just amazing to work with and they was team players through it how I was a team player
Pros
We only took about 30 minutes break to eat our lunch
Cons
It was a short period of time it will no longer carry a time to eat
Work Environment
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 24, 2017
A typical day of work involved teacher social studies at one of the high schools. I learned more about effective classroom management
and lesson planning strategies. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my students and seeing them accomplish their goals.
Productive Workplace
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 4, 2017
My overall experience with Hampton City Schools has been a successful experience. The atmosphere is nice and friendly. I enjoy working with my colleagues. I have had some tremendous supervisors. Everyone seems to work together for the cause of our students. The hardest part of the job is getting some students to see how important an education is for their future, and that they must have a vision of where their education is taking them as far as career goals. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I work with an awesome group of people since my tenure here of 20 years with Hampton City Schools. A few of my positions has been riffed due to budget, but we have such a great support with our Division Leadership Team and HR, they have always accommodated me in placing me in another department.
I loved seeing the kids everyday
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 4, 2017
Must of my runs were special needs children. I loved getting to know each one of them. I loved being off from work when the schools were closed for holiday' s that meant I was off when own kids were out of school.
Pros
Being off from work during holidays and incliment weather
Cons
Regular runs with reglar kids was very challening for me.
Fun workplace with children
Cook (Current Employee) –  hampton virginiaAugust 28, 2017
I enjoy working at this job due to exciting children and a wonderful work team. I enjoy cooking and serving the children and staff. I'm grateful to have a great supervisor and staff. I enjoy helping others in need especially children to brighten their day.

Want to know more about Hampton City Schools?

Ask a question
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAAugust 28, 2017
Every morning you would have to get up early and drive to the shop, get your assignments, and then get to work. Everybody is nice and helpful. The hardest part of the job was just the getting up at 5 am every morning. I enjoyed being busy and being active the entire day.
I loved working with children
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAAugust 9, 2017
I was a teacher's assistant. I assisted the teacher with the children in a typical day. I also performed clerical and instructional work related duties .Collaborate with teachers in both written or oral formats regarding students
Nine years of service
Music Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJuly 14, 2017
This was the best job I have ever had, period. The children responded well to my instruction and our product became outstanding and I made several good friends among the staff, leadership, and community.
Unfortunately the senior leadership opted to change curriculum models and relegated my position to 50% (half-time position). This isn't enough to support my family.
It was a truly a major disappointment to lose that job.
Pros
Great People, Great Support from Staff, great opportunity
Cons
Leadership integrity problems, no loyalty to honorable service.
Very challenging but rewarding job.
4th Grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJuly 12, 2017
A typical day being an elementary teacher is non-stop. The atmosphere gradually gets tense as the school year progresses due to state testing. The hardest part of the day is classroom management. The workplace is full of suppport and encouragment which gives teachers the motivation to endure when challenges arise.
Pros
The success of the students standardized test scores.
Cons
Curriuclum constrants makes it very hard to be creative.
Very Supportive of its Teachers
Language Arts Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJuly 5, 2017
Hampton City Schools is a nice place to work. Although I've only taught in Hampton City Schools, I feel that the district "has my back" and has always been more than kind and fair to me.
Pros
Plenty of workshops/seminars/training to aid teachers
Cons
The pay should be higher
Challenging Work Environment
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJune 20, 2017
I was met with various challenges during my position as a special education teacher. While I enjoy professional development, there were an abundance of meetings, in-services, and professional developments on a weekly basis. As a result, planning time was almost non-existent. My time to complete IEPs, hold meetings, and plan my instruction were expected to be completed during my 40 minute planning time. On the other hand, my co-workers were great and most of the administration was flexible and understanding.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
abundant inservices, lack of planning time
Productive work environment.
Elementary Principal (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJune 13, 2017
This is a very good division to work for and with. There are great mentorship programs for new hires and multiple opportunities for advancement. Professional development opportunities are often job embedded and they are always aligned to support student needs. The work environment is welcoming and supportive.
Teacher
Instructional Leader Kindergarten & Pre-k Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAMay 31, 2017
This is a great district to work in. Administrators are very supportive, they have new schools and technology. Support is given to new teachers. They treat students and teaqchers fair and the compensation is also very good.
Pros
support, academics
Cons
n/a
Enjoyable experience
Main Dish Cook, Cashier, Server (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAMay 22, 2017
Early mornings and short work days is what this job consisted of. I learned to work with diversity in the school system. My favorite part of this job was working with the children and making them smile.
Not great
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAMay 16, 2017
The hours were long and thankless. The support structure was limited, or absent. The pay was average for the area. Administration and teachers have a high turnover rate, and it isn't because of the students.