Hampton City Schools Employee Reviews in United States

A typical day at work
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAMarch 17, 2016
A typical day at work began at 7 am with phones ringing from teachers seeking substitutes. Sometimes I would have to arrange 25-30 substitutes out of 100 teachers before 8 am in the morning which made the start of my day very stressful. I also had a 50 mile one way commute, which made this the hardest part of the job. I learned that I am very capable of multi-tasking, filling in as a team player when needed. Management was very supportive. Co-workers were very family oriented. The most enjoyable part of the job was contact with parents/students/teachers which I found very rewarding.
Pros
Makes you feel like you make a difference everyday
Cons
Sometimes too busy to have a break just to eat... many days at my desk..
This was a progressive school division where the class sizes were larger than the neighboring school divisions.
Educator for grade 3 students (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAMarch 20, 2016
A typical school day at work here was very busy but still pleasant. The hardest part of the job was that there were many extra duties to be achieved along with your co-workers. I learned here that I love a challenge and working with my students in small groups on the subjects they have more trouble with. The most enjoyable part of the job was recess and the class team competitions. Management was not in the classrooms often yet they did call for staff meetings once or twice a week after school.
Pros
Free lunch for all students, a small community school, school plays
Cons
Short planning time, old ventilation system that caused dust
Best Place Ever
Video Broadcast Tech (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAMarch 24, 2016
Great place to work no real problems wish it was here in florida.. great hours benefits and pay. Was like a family.Learned alot there. Loved doing football games
Pros
Great place
Cons
Fun and interesting place to work
SECRETARY I (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAFebruary 17, 2016
Busy and fun and enjoyable to work at. There lots of excitement daily but overall a great place to work at with great benefits .
Pros
hot lunches
Cons
having to sign a yearly contract
Enjoyable work environment
Secretary II - Athletics (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJuly 29, 2015
I learned so much while working at Hampton City Schools. I feel my talents & skills were used every single day. I loved working with the students. Seeing their progression through their school years was a high light of my tenure with the school system. When I attended their sporting events and saw the pure joy of them seeing me there to back them was nothing short of a blessing. The co-workers, administration, staff & teachers all cared for the students in like manner. I miss it.
Pros
The students
Cons
Long hours. Leaving the job.
Good environment
Food Service 1 worker (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAMarch 2, 2016
Working with great people and learning new methods of cooking. I also manage to move up with them starting on fruit and being moved to a cook.
Pros
Off on weekends
Cons
No benefites
Supportive staff and management
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VANovember 22, 2015
o Assisted teacher with classroom instruction.
o Processed grades into the computer.
o Maintained files for students.
o Escorted children to and from classroom.
Very productive and I love working with the children.
Early Reading Intervention Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAMay 14, 2015
I look forward to working with my children. Time management is very important. My co-workers are very supportive. The hardest part of my job is that I have to work in the classroom in a small group and it is very distracting and the children cannot focus with everything else going on in the class. The most enjoyable is when my children learn a new skill and master it.
Teaching little ones to read
Early Reading Intervention Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VASeptember 27, 2015
It is always so fun to wake up and go to work, just to be with my little ones. I love teaching them to read using different. ways.
Pros
Fulfillment
Cons
Part time
Stable position with good benefits and adequate salary
Early Childhood Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VirginiaAugust 14, 2012
Hampton City Schools offers stable employment, adequate compensation and good benefits. The administration is competent and has shown flexibility and care for individual employees.

The working conditions are good. Facilities are clean and well maintained.

Institutional growth and change are evident and are undertaken for student benefit. Some employees are resistant, but change will occur for student benefit.

Overall, this is a good place to work. I love my job and appreciate all of the consideration afforded me as an employee.
Pros
compensation, benefits, opportunities for advancement, many highly motivated and professionally qualified co-workers
Cons
hectic schedule, some unmotivated co-workers
Working In Hampton City Schools Has Been Amazing
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJuly 17, 2012
HCS is an awesome place of business in which I have learned many things about teaching and further working with children. A typical day at work may just be going over assisgnments in class, having recess, and or free time, then lunch. The management there are determined to assist every child and parent to the best of their ability. My co-workers are very helpful and we opporate as a team. The hardest part of the job may be classroom management for some. The most enjoyable part of the job is watching the students when they really understand what you have been teaching them and they can execute it.
Pros
getting to know the staff, students and parents
Cons
short breaks, no benefits
Hampton City Schools
English as a Second Language (ESL) Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VASeptember 10, 2014
Each day I taught reading, writing, and speaking skills. I learned how to create lesson plans and work collaboratively. I learned time management and how to plan with a team. The most difficult part of was classroom behavior management. The most enjoyable part was learning words in different languages and tasting food from different cultures.
Teaching/Coaching was a thrill.
Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 15, 2015
Early to school. Late to get home. Working four or so jobs within the district to make ends meet. But at the same time enjoyed making a difference in the lives of inner city children. Teaching was a great career while my children were finishing up their high school education. I was afforded the opportunity to be with them throughout those years. College education of my children forced me to go into a different career path.
Pros
great relationship with inner city children
Cons
force reduction
The exciting part of working with Hampton City Schools is learning whats new and what is out with the old.e
Substitute Custodian Worker (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VADecember 6, 2012
Everyday is a good day!

There are no benefits.

In management Hpt have good instuctors.

The hardest of the job was to clean with no trash bags.

The enjoyable part of the job is when ever thing in he schools is clean and safe for the students to return back to school the next day!
Pros
the city gives you chances to explore whats new.
Cons
there are no benefits. and time is being taken
The last few years ant down hill fast. Not a fun place to work
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAAugust 10, 2014
Good people to work with. At first great work environment, changed after a few years. Hours were fine, benefits were the best around . Great compensations package if you could stay long enough to receive it.
Pros
i had a great staff.
Cons
upper management lost sign of the total mission
Frequent change in administration
Graduation Facilitator/Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAApril 26, 2015
Staff was promoted based on friendships, on merit. Roughly 20% of the staff left the county just last year to obtain jobs in neighboring counties.
Pros
I was allowed to move up to Graduation Facilitator before the new administrative staff took over.
Cons
Lack of constistancy in leadership
This is a warm working environment where diversity is promoted.
SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 8, 2013
A typical day starts with the saying of the National Pledge by every body and a moment of silence which provides one a moment of reflection. These are followed by two lessons for 90 minutes each sessions and a 25 minutes lunch and a 90 minute planning between the subject teachers and the special education teacher. In this planning, a review of the lessons are done and corrective actions are designed and new lesson plans are made. The last 90 minutes are used for the last lesson of the day.
The management encourages diversity and creativity. Training is promoted to improve performance of teachers. Co-workers are always willing to help others who need help. I learned to be a team player. I enjoyed the once a month dinner which is organized by the teachers and encouraged by the management.
Pros
diversity is encouraged and maintained.
Cons
increased class size was making teaching a little difficult.
Teaching
Physical Education and Health Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VANovember 6, 2013
I work with students in grades Kindergarten through fifth grade. I teach Physical Education and Health. Each lesson throughout the day is combined with Fitness and Health concepts.
Pros
great staff cooperation
Cons
frozen pay scales, no raises
Enjoyed teaching kindergarteners.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAApril 3, 2015
The day began with a series of songs, designed to promote the retention of everyday basic skills such as the days of the week, the months of the year, counting, the alphabet, and good manners. Later, specific lessons were implemented to target specific skills.
Pros
the stories that kindergarteners tell
Cons
three flights of stairs
Great
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAApril 1, 2015
Great place to work if you love children, have a minimum of an associates degree, and have great patience. I was only a substitute but i enjoyed my time there as I was there for so long as a part time and seasonal employee. Go for it!

4.4