Hampton City Schools Employee Reviews

Frequent change in administration
Graduation Facilitator/Special Education Teacher (Former Employee), Hampton, VAApril 26, 2015
Pros: I was allowed to move up to Graduation Facilitator before the new administrative staff took over.
Cons: Lack of constistancy in leadership
Staff was promoted based on friendships, on merit. Roughly 20% of the staff left the county just last year to obtain jobs in neighboring counties.
Enjoyed teaching kindergarteners.
Teacher (Former Employee), Hampton, VAApril 3, 2015
Pros: the stories that kindergarteners tell
Cons: three flights of stairs
The day began with a series of songs, designed to promote the retention of everyday basic skills such as the days of the week, the months of the year, counting, the alphabet, and good manners. Later, specific lessons were implemented to target specific skills.
Great
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Former Employee), Hampton, VAApril 1, 2015
Great place to work if you love children, have a minimum of an associates degree, and have great patience. I was only a substitute but i enjoyed my time there as I was there for so long as a part time and seasonal employee. Go for it!
Teaching/Coaching was a thrill.
Science Teacher (Former Employee), Hampton, VAJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: great relationship with inner city children
Cons: force reduction
Early to school. Late to get home. Working four or so jobs within the district to make ends meet. But at the same time enjoyed making a difference in the lives of inner city children. Teaching was a great career while my children were finishing up their high school education. I was afforded the opportunity to be with them throughout those years. College education of my children forced me to go into a different career path.
Fun. if you like kids
Instructional Assistant/One-On-One (Former Employee), Hampton,VANovember 9, 2014
Hampton city schools is a great place to work. They are trying. Compensation is not that great but they generally care about the employees.
Great place to gain experience in education and professionalism
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee), Hampton, VAOctober 8, 2014
In my experience, it is the teamwork in the schools that produces a conducive learning atmosphere for the students. The hardest part of the job is dealing with student behaviors, however when administrators support the staff with student consequences and reinforce the codes, it makes it easier for educators in the classroom The most rewarding part of working in the school system is seeing children develop and succeed.
Hampton City Schools
English as a Second Language (ESL) Teacher (Former Employee), Hampton, VASeptember 10, 2014
Each day I taught reading, writing, and speaking skills. I learned how to create lesson plans and work collaboratively. I learned time management and how to plan with a team. The most difficult part of was classroom behavior management. The most enjoyable part was learning words in different languages and tasting food from different cultures.
Learned all that I know from HCS
Teacher (Current Employee), Hampton, VASeptember 8, 2014
Great school system to work for. I learned many valuable strategies and techniques throughout my career.
The last few years ant down hill fast. Not a fun place to work
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Hampton, VAAugust 10, 2014
Pros: i had a great staff.
Cons: upper management lost sign of the total mission
Good people to work with. At first great work environment, changed after a few years. Hours were fine, benefits were the best around . Great compensations package if you could stay long enough to receive it.
Fun, exciting and rewarding
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Hampton, VAAugust 2, 2014
My summer experience was a great one. Fun-loving and hard working staff.
Productive, challenging but fun place to work
Lead Custodian (Current Employee), Hampton, VAJune 9, 2014
Pros: getting to work in a place with a good environment.
Cons: not having enough time for a break. wanting to make sure that everything is done.
I open the school building in the morning, clean the offices and bathrooms before the students arrive. Once the students arrive it's time for breakfast. Keeping the floor clean of food and spills, and taking out the trash. This is a fast pace of work but yet very challenging.

I have learned to stay on top of my work, and not let my work get on top of me. Working smarter and not harder is the key. I like to plan things out before an event happens.

The staff members are very helpful in the cafeteria with the students. They don't mind lending a hand, when I'm off doing other things to keep the building safe. They are team players and we work very well together.

The hardest part about my job is working in the summer time. There is less manpower and a lot of heavy lifting and moving. If there were more than two people working the job could be finished a lot faster. Stripping and waxing floors while very hot in the building.

The most rewarding and enjoyable part of my job, is seeing the students return in September. The smiles and hugs that I receive from my children makes it all worth while. Meeting the new students and letting them know, that I will be there for them. They are our future leaders.
Elementary School Teacher (Current Employee), Hampton, VAMay 23, 2014
A good place for a starter job however is sometimes lacking in compensation for its employees.
Very Stressful as a school secretary
Administrative Secretary I (Former Employee), Hampton, VAMay 17, 2014
Never a momen'ts peace
Constantly on the move
A great job if you enjoy working with young children all day
Nice staff
Lead Custodian 1 (Current Employee), Hampton, VAMay 1, 2014
Pros: nice staff
Cons: to many tasks
Train employees and clean school, get alone well with co- workers
Educational environment with opportunity to influence student productivity
Volunteer (Current Employee), Hampton, VAFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: interaction with students
Would coordinate and facilitate various projects such as Reading Is Fundamental program or whatever classroom needs that were presented. Assist students in selecting reading materials and helped teachers with multiple projects. Great environment to interact with the students and to learn about our young people.
Excellent place to work.
Assistant Secretary (Current Employee), Hampton, VAJanuary 19, 2014
Pros: love working with children.
Cons: part-time schedule
Answer multiple phone lines and controls time sheets and inputs payroll for substitute teachers. Data administrator who enters attendance corrections in school Matrix, tracks class schedule and bus route.
Teaching
Physical Education and Health Teacher (Current Employee), Hampton, VANovember 6, 2013
Pros: great staff cooperation
Cons: frozen pay scales, no raises
I work with students in grades Kindergarten through fifth grade. I teach Physical Education and Health. Each lesson throughout the day is combined with Fitness and Health concepts.
Fun to work with but can be serious when it comes to planning, meeting, and teaching
Substitute Licensed Teacher (Current Employee), Hampton, VAOctober 16, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: healthcare bebefits
I have a Virginia Teacher's License, Post Graduate Professional for elementary grades. My goal is to be a full time teacher. I enjoy substituting as it allows me to work with many different people in several schools and grades.
Special Educator Instructor (Former Employee), Hampton, VaSeptember 20, 2013
Pros: free goodies
Cons: misbehaved kids
Interesting day
I learned from my students
Management Didn't do much, you were pretty on your own
The hardest part was no administrative support
The most enjoyable part was celebrating students success
Productive and fun place to work.
Special Education Teacher/ Inclusion (Former Employee), Hampton, VAAugust 27, 2013
Pros: excellent school system
Overall good place to work, good benefits and working conditions.

Hampton City Schools Salaries