Hampton University Employee Reviews

Really Chill Job...Until it stops being chill
IT Support Intern (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VANovember 26, 2017
Really Chill Job...Until it stops being chill

Large workloads are few and far between depending on what building you get, which gives u time to improve your knowledge, but when there is work there is allot of work
Pros
Long Luches
Don't do it!
Administrative Assistant / Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VANovember 16, 2017
I only worked for Hampton because i need the experience for higher education. I was terminated after my boss was fired and only because he brought me into the system.

If you decide to work there keep your mouth close and do not talk to anyone in reference of being their friend. They will turn on you. Working at Hampton is worse that working for corporate america.

Hampton has a huge turnover; worst than public school. You will see that i was not lying about those in Administrative roles who abuse their power. They call it being, "think skinned".

The name, Hampton University is historical, and that's what people are draw to. Do not be fooled.

The students are great and they have never been a problem because they are typical college students. Just be aware of those in administrative role that abuse their power.

You will also meet hard working staff members, but be careful they might betray you to get on someone's good side.

The pay is terrible but i needed the experience. Also there is no room for advancement unless someone dies.

NEPOTISM IS BIG AT HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!
Pros
Building relationships with students
Cons
The pay is terrible
Not a retirement home by the sea!
Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VANovember 3, 2017
Tradition! Pride!
Fantastic faculty, staff and students.
The most rewarding work experience of my entire career.
Responsibility and accountability without resources and authority.
Pros
Opportunities to match your ambition
Cons
Limited opportunities to grow along a transparent career path.
it was a wonderful opportunity one I will cherish
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 31, 2017
like any educational institution it is designed to benefit the persons that utilize the services of that facility. I honestly thrive in a educational background so I enjoyed it
Security guard
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 3, 2017
Check student id and decal check tag enter and leave
Walk to differ building and check all window and doors escort doctor harvey to differ place on and off campus take package to differ areas on the campus.Help student when lost and directed student to differ place on campus check all employee that enter the ground check each building and doing writing of parking tickets and return to the offices.Being at differ gates and if need more security we would get a call for lt.Jones
If longer hours and with differ in site handlers.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Shortbreak
I enjoyed learning on the job training
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 2, 2017
The hardest part of the job was learning the workplace culture. The best part of the job was helping the students and meeting great people on a day to day basis.
Pros
helping the students
Cons
the workplace culture
Time to move on
Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 1, 2017
Working at Hampton, University was a great stepping stone and place to enhance my experience as Carpenter. I became close to my co-workers. When given a task, we as a team made sure that the task was completed diligently and successfully.
Pros
Co-worker/ Family Relationship, Experience gained
Cons
Salary, raises
Enjoyed working in the transportation department, it was so much fun
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VASeptember 29, 2017
Administrative duties/kept fleet of vehicles ready for travel with maintenance/fuel/detailing. Kept record of travel destination. Like driving the cars
Pros
hours/driving the cars
Cons
pay/benefits
N/a
Lead/ Heavy Duty Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VASeptember 28, 2017
Hampton University is not a place where you can advance. The pay has always been an issue. The staff has always been underpaid and overworked. It's a good organization with good perks but other than that I wouldn't recommend Hampton University as a place of employment.
Working at HU
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VASeptember 13, 2017
I aided the the department in many different events and tasks to collect money for student scholarships and donations for the university. I put me in contact with a lot of high profile people and that meant I had to keep a lot of things confidential. Even though my time there has ended I miss being there at times very much. Working for HU can be very enjoyable.
Pros
Campus life/Some activities/Some perks
Cons
Some long hours/Some cut throat people on staff/high turnover
Horrable
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VASeptember 9, 2017
The management at this location is horrible. I will never work there again. Pay is low and there is little to no room for advancement. Mandatory over time and some days they wont let you leave until they say its okay, even when you worked your scheduled hours. A normal work day is 9hrs with an hour lunch but they sometimes try to keep you past 12hrs or threaten to fire you.
Pros
An hour lunch and a full time job postition
Cons
Everything else
A Good Place to Work
Receptionist of Buildings & Ground (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VASeptember 5, 2017
It's a good job for someone just starting out. It's an good place to work and the work place culture is friendly. This company aloud me to get on my feet. This company pushed me to do more with my life. And..... I am.
Friendly but low pay
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hampton Va 23668August 29, 2017
Job for people who are not looking for great pay but something to fill your time and enjoy young people.
Great job. If interested in fu t thering your education. Remission tutition.
Pros
Lax
Cons
Low pay
Pirate Pride
IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  Computer CenterAugust 10, 2017
The "Home By the Sea." The campus is friendly, family oriented, and provides a culture of high expectancy of personal growth academically and socially.
Pros
Nice location by the water.
Cons
Low salary
Pretty Cool
Social Media Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAAugust 8, 2017
I worked as an intern for about 3 months. I was a student working with the Athletic Marketing Team. It wasn't a whole lot just something students could do who wanted an introduction in the world of sports marketing. The culture was great, and we had a lot of fun. No compensation but its something to put on your resume as a student and can set you up for a real internship afterwards.
Pros
fun
Cons
structure
Job. descriptions
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJuly 19, 2017
We as housekeepers provide a clean environment for the students and staff. all year long. Our job duties are maintaining the bathrooms on each dormintory and lobbys. We also clean the academic bulidings as well. Maintaining the restrooms, offices.
Pros
No free lunches
Cons
two 15min. breaks paid and one hour lunchbreak
Loyal and Dedication in described for this organization
Adjunct Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJuly 15, 2017
I enjoy my profession and I love working with the students and the faculty. However, my daily routine involve providing research for students and faculty. Provide one-on-one instruction for students and faculty in use of online catalog (SIRSI WebCat) and various databases. Provide reference services to user community as scheduled including evenings and weekends. Provide library services and provide reference text books and videos to support educational training requirements
Pros
I enjoyed working and assisting the Hampton University students with their research and project.
Cons
I would like to make more money for my part-time job.
Enjoyed my employment
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJune 30, 2017
My job was secure and stable, but it was not financially conducive. I was employed there for over 3yrs and I had no savings to fall back on, nor could I go on vacations.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Pay
Great environment. mediocre benefits
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJune 22, 2017
Love the culture and people. Have a lot of opportunities to be involved in the university. The benefits could be better and pay is on the lower end of the scale.
Pros
culture
Cons
benefits and pay
Great place
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJune 8, 2017
I loved it! The staff was friendly and eager to help others. I looked forward to help prepare for graduation and other events. Small family atmosphere.