Hampton University Employee Reviews

Unable to evaluate some areas- teach hybrid courses
DNP, CPNP- Adjunct Part-time faculty (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAFebruary 18, 2017
No problems with organization. Salary is poor considering the work required. I do not have a lot of interaction with other employees since I teach hybrid courses.
Pros
able to perform job from home
Cons
salary
Average
Dormitory Resident Staff (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAFebruary 15, 2017
Came in at posted hours, guests ranged from very nice to completely terrible depending on your luck. Ok environment to work in.
Good opportunity, compensation very poor
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAFebruary 5, 2017
My position was Office Manager, without the excellent Director I worked for I would have left within the first year. Benefits are 100% on the employee, poor management financialy.
Pros
Pay for a portion of your education
Cons
Salary, Benefits, Management
great
Interim Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 11, 2017
I was a student and I was not compensated for the position that I held. It was one that was voluntary after the professor told me he had selected me to assist.
Fun place to work
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VADecember 12, 2016
Very quiet environment
Learned more technical skills
Communication and helping students is very different experience
Dynamic in training future officers in the Army
Senior Military Science Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 28, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of physical fitness training with the Cadets, teaching them the fundamentals of Army Leadership. Enjoyed developing future leaders.
Pros
Inspiration and development of the Cadets.
Cons
Not enough time to spend with the Cadets.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VASeptember 23, 2016
After clocking into work, we conduct roll call, shift change, sign out our patrol cars and hit the streets running. I learned that people need help more then they think and how cruel some people can be when you're trying to help them. My co-workers always had my back, it was like a brother/sisterhood. The hardest part of my job was interviewing victims who had been sexually/physically abused.

The most enjoyable part of my job was helping people.
Pros
Team Work
Cons
Stressful
productive
Maintenance/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAAugust 2, 2016
a usual work day begins with cleaning the student center wiping tables and clean them off, sweeping the area, moping the area. some dishes, and storing frozen food from truck.
I enjoy my Job but management sucks
Police Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJune 8, 2016
A typical day for me is very smooth because i work 3rd shift. I have learned a lot of things far as how to work all the different systems it's a lot to learn but if you pay attention it is also easy. Ive learned to multitask better and improved my typing skills.Management is the worst their is a lot of non/mis communication and a lot of unfair favoritism. I really enjoy the people i work with, the hardest part of the job is trying to keep up wit everything when u are working alone on a busy night, the most enjoyable part of my job is when its a quiet/ smooth night.
Pros
Free Meals
Cons
who's in Management
Nice University
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAMay 17, 2016
My day is typically busy because I'm in the Business Office. Everyone comes through the business office throughout the day. My co-workers are helpful
Captain
Women's Basketball Captain (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAMay 15, 2016
Great opportunity as a captain of a division one program to be rewarded for your leadership and communication skills. Chance to impact program in beneficial way and also get compensated through free college tuition.
Great place
Chaplain's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAApril 12, 2016
Maintained the records for the chapel . The hardest part was dealing with the brides as they where planning their weddings
Pros
quiet work environment
Cons
paid monthly
hampton university
Campus Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAMarch 22, 2016
I enjoyed being an police officer looked forward to going in to work every day.Interacting with the public and students,being around other officers at work was wonderful.
Productive and fun enivornment in a learning facility
Physical Plant (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 31, 2016
A typical work day I perform the same duties multiply times a day. The management doesn't like to provide employees with supplies needed. Also make many mandatory days last minute. Students are very respectful and kind.
Pros
A hour lunch
Cons
Not enough employees
Hampton University Helpdesk Internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 31, 2016
Pleasant working environment, and great supervisor. My Trainer, along with the other techs in the IT helpdesk department, all were very pleasant to team up with. I really enjoyed the hands-on learning environment and day-to-day challenges with ticket issues, PC repairs, laptops and various installs.
Pros
good cordial community
Cons
n/a
Administrative Assistant to the Assistant Dean, School of Liberal Arts
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VADecember 30, 2015
Serves as the senior assistant to the Dean, School of Liberal Arts. Provides support to 7 subordinate departments with an annual budget forecasting. Manages files and data for over 60 faculty members while supervising 4 student workers. Resources field building relationships, streamlining processes, managing complex schedules, developing and reviewing business correspondence, overseeing inventory, conducting research, handling expense reports and supervising employees. Maintain integrity of confidential documents and communications.
Cons
No promotions
Very Productive
Basketball Summer Camp Counselor/Coach (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VADecember 13, 2015
Above Average Worker/Teacher. Job consists of being a coach to the sport of Basketball, as well as teaching life lessons as a life coach. Implying the sport fundamentally, with real life lessons. Through adversity and life goals.
Fun experience
Utility Worker/ Usher (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VADecember 1, 2015
This job allowed me to use my people skills and opened the path for things that I never thought I would have experienced such as meeting celebrities.
Not what you'd expect
Manager, Information Systems (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 6, 2015
The culture is one that keeps people from advancing in their respective career fields. They tend to not offer up training to employees on specialized information systems and expect you to figure it out. No real plan/vision for IT here.
Enjoyed the work, no room for advancement.
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VASeptember 10, 2015
I love the work here, but there is absolutely no room for advancement and if you are able to advance within the company your salary doesn't advance with the position. You are only able to get a 10% raise regardless of the position in which you are applying. The company is a great place to work if you're in the right department. There are some people who abuse their power and forget that they are human just like anyone else. I liked the people I got the chance to work with for the most part but every job has a few bad apples. The best thing about this job was my independence to do my work without being micromanaged. I think that if they paid you for the work they expect done it would be easier to let the abuse of power to not be much of a concern; but in actuality they don't pay you enough for the volume of things they want done it's not a fair environment. Lastly, there is no break room, and you can't eat in the office so that leaves your car which isn't a good alternative.
Pros
Hour lunch
Cons
Abuse of power, compensation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hampton University. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval