Hancock Fabrics

Hancock Fabrics United States Employee Reviews

Managers should train better
Floor Supervisor (Former Employee), Bradenton, FLMay 3, 2015
Pros: discounted merchandise
Cons: Rarely had enough management to cover store ICE
I received very little training despite the fact they promoted me to floor supervisor.
My typical day consisted of coming in mid day, managing associates, handling the register, tidying the store (restrooms included) stocking, receiving, taking special orders, assisting customers and nightly store closing procedures, including back office. Management was a bit on the lax side as far as training and the like, my co-workers were relatively enjoyable, I learned much about sewing and back office procedures. Hardest part of my job was dealing with ill tempered customers or management, how ever I much enjoyed how much I helped people
productive nice place to work at meet a lot of interesting people learned alot of ways fabrics can be used and how to decorate your house .
Retail Sales Supervisor (Former Employee), San Jose, CAApril 26, 2015
Pros: work with the public
Cons: there wasnt much i didnt like it was a nice place to work at
open the store up count out the cash draws turn on lights waite for any special orders for the day , let in my workers some times i will have store meetings before we open up the store make sure store is clean and safe for customers for the day . i think the hardest part of the day is when the store closes and we have to tell the customers to come back tomorrow .the most enjoyable part of this job is takeing a deep breath and say that i survived this day .
Good workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Richardson, TXApril 18, 2015
Pros: Weekly pay
The job had started out seeming difficult, but...once I've learned the ropes, I'd gotten the hang of it.

The workplace focused more on what I loved best. I like assisting the customers.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ballwin, MOApril 16, 2015
When you are surrounded by colors and things that you love, what's not to like? My co-workers were fantastic and our customers were easy to please so every day was a good day!
Cut fabric and assist customers with checking out
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), MemphisMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Getting to know regular customers
Cons: Sometimes no breaks, trying to accomplish ten different things at once because that is what is expected of you.
Typical day at work would be cutting fabric, checking customers out, and putting out freight all while trying to keep the store straight. Management at the store level is pretty good and then above that the only time you see them is if their bosses have arranged a store walk through then everyone is on pins and needles and tense.
Fun place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKMarch 10, 2015
Pros: being crafty.
Cons: low hours and pay.
Greeting and responding to customers while assisting them in selecting and purchasing merchandise.
I loved working in a place where all my crafty urges where at my finger tips and sharing ideas with like people,
Limited upward mobility
Store Manager (Current Employee), GeorgiaFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: employee discount
Cons: long hours, low salary
There is very limited upward mobility beyond a store manager. You would be a good fit for district manager if you do not have a family or even a life outside of the organization. Spring and summer months are the most challenging because payroll is always lacking. The best part of working here is that you meet people from all walks of life. You are constantly surrounded by creative people.
If you want fabric discounts, work here. Otherwise, not worth it.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Birmingham, AL; Florence, ALFebruary 16, 2015
I have loved the people I work with on a daily basis, but the bigger bosses are clueless about how a fabric/craft store's business day goes. They expect more work to be done than is possible, as all the store locations where I have worked have consistently been understaffed due to payable weekly hours given by the district and corporate managers. The company should have higher-ups who have actually worked in one of the store's locations so they know how demanding and time consuming the customer service is. On a happier note, it is one of the most personally rewarding jobs I have had; I have made many connections and have learned a great deal from my co-workers and the customers who frequented the stores. There's nothing quite like the satisfaction of being able to successfully help someone one-on-one.
Great people and customer
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHFebruary 15, 2015
The best part of the job was the people you worked with many have become long tome friends. The customers were long time customers ones you saw weekly and wonderful to work with. The long hours is the downfall of the job but is typical retail.
dont pay enough
Tugger and Production Worker (Former Employee), Tupelo, MSFebruary 3, 2015
Job does not pay enough for the work you put in. Management can sometimes not be fair to other races. Job is standing all day sorting fabrics.
A fun and upbeat place to work, that is always busy and has wonderful customers and employees.
Floor Supervisor (Current Employee), Fort Smith, ARJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: good employees, discount, awesome customers, fun crafts
Cons: short lunch, do always get breaks, pay, benefits
We help customers and even employees on items they will need to do a project. The people I work with are wonderful employees and even help me with advice I need, I have learned more about handling money and communicating with my district manager and other higher ups. I have learned how to sew and other projects just from working there. The hardest part of the job is helping a customer with something I am not entirely experienced with, but I help the best I can. If I do not know, I will find and ask someone who does.
workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee), crystal lake ilJanuary 1, 2015
Overall I have learned a lot with being with this company. Management could use some help right now. Hours are low and pay isn't stable from week to week. A lot to do in four hour shifts, need more hours to help with this situation. Also hiring people with no knowledge of sewing isn't good, often see them giving bad advice to customers or handing them to another associate.
nice and friendly people
Stock Clerk (Current Employee), VADecember 11, 2014
my co workers are real nice and the manger is nice all so its just they need more hours for there worker and the job its fast and nice and clean to work at
friendly enviroment to work in, nice bosses and co-workers
Fabric Counter/ Cashier (Current Employee), West Saint Paul, MNDecember 9, 2014
Pros: fun job
Cons: the upselling monthly contest you need to do every shift mandatory
I really enjoy this job but I don't work enough or make enough money to support my family.
Conflicting Expectations
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Metairie, LADecember 1, 2014
Pros: great customers
Cons: pressure to push sell
Working for Hancock Fabrics was a mixed bag. The company, upon hire, promotes customer service and personal experience for the shoppers, and this is something I love providing. Unfortunately once hired, the company seemed to emphasize push selling, shady promotions, and outside deals over customer service.

Though the customer service part was supposed to be key, our hours depended on sales of these other things. I understand that selling is the nature of the beast, but our in store sales meant nothing to the company. It didn't matter if an employee sold very expensive items or assisted a customer in making purchases. What mattered was that we asked for or collected a customer's phone number and name and scanned their "preferred customer" card (which did nothing but track their purchases), we push sold the featured item at the register, and the most "important" thing was "Designer Deals"...we get people to sign up for a "deal" that would cost them $10 a month to get discounts at other stores.

The pressure to sell these things and to collect and sometimes lie to the customers about their preferred cards was ridiculous. Hours depended directly on how many designer deals you sold. Also there were reprimands and threats.

On a better note, the products, the customers and fortunately my particular store's manager were the high points of the job. There is much joy in helping people realize their creative potential or helping with a problem. I like the customer's relationship with some of the people who have been there many years and see that it can be more than just a store. I think that once upon a time Hancock Fabrics used to be more like a family, and I wish that they would return to their roots.
Excellent coworkers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Council BluffsNovember 29, 2014
Pros: working with children
Cons: high stress
Everyday was spent caring for toddlers and preschoolers. I learned a lot about children's needs and stress management. The management at YMCA were very supportive and helpful with the daily routine and activities. My coworkers at the Y were great. We got along great and everyday was fun. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the differing stress levels of everyday. The most enjoyable part of working at the Y was being able to care for children.
Very busy job. I like the clients and co-workers. It is an ideal retail job, due to the creative nature of the clients, products and projects
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Bartlett TNOctober 25, 2014
An infinite number of clients, with skill levels ranging from novice to expert. All need guidance in one form or another.The holidays are understandably chaotic, but enjoyable, as customers share project ideas and tips.
Typical retail environment
Retail Associate (Former Employee), North Charleston, SCOctober 19, 2014
Pros: employee discounts
Cons: sometimes scheduling was haphazard and not posted in a timely manner.
This job is primarily physical and hours vary from week to week. It mostly involves working directly with customers.

I have been sewing and doing various needlecrafts since childhood, but there are always "new" methods and products being introduced.

Management was competent. For the most part co-workers were easy to work with, friendly, and competent at their jobs.

The hardest part of the job was standing for hours. The most enjoyable part was the co-workers.
Never the same duties daily
Associate (Former Employee), Citrus Heights, CASeptember 7, 2014
Pros: got to meet a lot of great people
Cons: not a full time job
I was able to get telephone skills i learned about different fabrics
Good Customer Service and average trainning program
Supervisor (Current Employee), Appleton, WISeptember 4, 2014
It is fun to work in an environment that has a great diversity of duties, and that cares about it's customer service.

1 2 3 4 5

About Hancock Fabrics

At Hancock Fabrics our mission is to be the authority in all things sewing. We entrust our brand to those who share our passion – Read more

Hancock Fabrics Salaries