Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa

Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa Employee Reviews

Fast paced, not for everyone
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Easton, PAJanuary 11, 2018
This is an excellent place for recent graduates to gather experience. However, it is not as beneficial for seasoned therapists. Experienced therapists are not aptly compensated for their experience. There are tier systems to get mini raises, but pay is still not competitive.
Pros
building rapor and client base, Owners involved and gave parties and dinners.
Cons
fast paced
Terrible front desk
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Emerson, NJJanuary 6, 2018
The front desk does not listen to the needs of the therapist. People are overbooked even when they have stated that they cannot handle any more clients for the day. Therapists are treated very poorly by the girls doing the booking and it's extremely disrespectful and changed the entire environment of the job. They are the most unfriendly, rude, childish bunch of adults I have ever met. I would not recommend anyone takes a job here until the staff has been flushed!!
Pros
Cons
People are treated extremely unfairly
Let go within the month
Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Northville, MINovember 5, 2017
I was hired with the understanding that I would receive 30+ hours per week after completing training. For the 4 weeks I was employed with Hand and Stone, I was told REPEATEDLY that I would not only be getting more hours, but that they were also in the process of hiring two more front desk girls. About 4 weeks into my employment, I received a phone call from the manager stating that they did not have enough hours to go around, and was fired on the spot. I left an otherwise steady job to work here, and am now scrambling for employment.
Pros
easy job, friendly staff
Cons
low pay, poor management
friendly co workers
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VASeptember 15, 2017
My time spent at Hand & Stone was neither positive nor negative it was just not the opportunity for me, I enjoyed the staffed and the clients however the location was a little to secluded from the rest of town.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Location, hours
Not a place i would recommend to work
Spa Associate (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYAugust 9, 2017
Management was fine in the beginning but than towards the end it seemed to be a a little childish and mangers were talking behind customers and associates back.
Overall good experience
Spa Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington Township, MIAugust 6, 2017
I thought it was a receptionist job but when I went in for my interview they told me it was more than that. I had to be outgoing and really like getting to know the guests. That was kinda hard at first cuz I am kinda shy. But in the long run it really helped me grow as a person. I learned a lot about business working there too. They taught us statistics and what it takes to be good at sales. You can make a lot of money if you can learn how to sell memberships. The package they sell is pretty good. Who wouldn't want a massage every month. A lot of my coworkers were nice. But it stinks when you get stuck working with someone who is lazy. Some people would just be on their phones all day and then I would get stuck doing most of the work.
Pros
Nice customers. Good learning experience. Can be good money.
Cons
Lazy coworkers. Sometimes stressful when it's really busy.
I love h&s
Spa Associate (Current Employee) –  Seminole, FLJuly 3, 2017
I have been a Spa Associate with Hand & Stone for a few years at different locations. Both are excellent! I adore the staff, pay is well, you feel safe, they are accommodating, hands down the best job I ever had. Would be nice to have more benefits, we do receive discounted services and great products! All-in-all, Hand & Stone is a wonderful company to be a part of!
Pros
Discounted services and products, atmosphere, co-workers and management, locations, etc!
Cons
Benefits... only downfall
Good environment to earn commission
Spa Associate (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAJune 22, 2017
Working for hand and Stone was fun although the management needed some work. It was great making a lot of commission and being able to make our own schedules.
Cons
No breaks
Terrible place to work
Spa Associate (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHApril 22, 2017
By far the worst job I've ever had. The management had terrible communication skills, they expected me to read their minds. I was treated like a personal assistant by everyone who worked there except for the other spa associates. Way too much pressure to sell memberships to clients. I would get blamed for certain things that weren't my fault on a daily basis ( phones weren't ringing, no one would buy gift cards etc.). Management was trying to micromanage every little detail and everyone. Rude clients. The owner has no business running a spa.
Pros
location and leaving
Cons
Management team
Esthetician (Current Employee) –  Delran, NJApril 19, 2017
Great place to work for the newly out of school or the experienced therapist. The manager and owner at the Delran location are very fair and easy to work for. They do care about their employees, which makes for a comfortable work environment. I love my clients and love what I do.
Pros
flexiable schedule
Cons
No benefits, no paid time off
NEEDS REAL managments
Receptionist/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Washington, MIFebruary 25, 2017
great co workers, clean place, but takes money away if you don't take breaks, 90% of the front desk job is damage control, too much of the spa was put in sales associates hands, I used to close by myself so much, and money means everything
Pros
you sit down
Cons
no time to breathe
A good place to start
Licensed Esthetician, Hand & Stone Spa (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 17, 2017
As a new esthetician, H&S is a great place to build from. The other practitioners are extremely helpful and we work to build each other up daily. Daily, we're responsible for setting up our work space, performing esthetic services and providing clients with great customer service, then breaking down our room at night and performing all proper disinfection protocols. In our downtime, we help with laundry or with keeping the rooms stocked with supplies.

H&S is a franchise, and at mine benefits are not offered. For this reason, I wouldn't recommend a long term career here. Learn the essentials of your trade, but then go somewhere that cares more about your financial wellness.
This is a great place to begin your massage career and get experience working on people without the hassle of having to do all your own marketing.
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  St Pete, FL, Carollwood, FL, Wesley Chapel, FLFebruary 13, 2017
My very first massage job was at Hand and Stone. The training and support from lead therapists was excellent. I started at a place that had only been open 2 years so there was a few managerial glitches as they were trying to find the right person for the job. I stayed busy and was able to build my clientele fast and have steady pay within the first month. My co-workers were awesome and like a second family. My confidence and experience as an LMT was boosted tremendously. I highly recommend this place if you are just starting out or if you are not really business minded, or if you just want to have a life outside of work and still make a decent living since they do all the marketing and business aspects for you.
Pros
Steady pay, good training and job security
Cons
No room for advancement, only pays 30% so you have to do alot of massages to make more $ and it's hard on the body
No room for advancement
Esthetician (Current Employee) –  Commack, NYFebruary 2, 2017
A wonderful place to work with great people and clients, but no benefits or room for growth. It's a very easy job and good for someone who is just starting out!
Pros
Good clients, fun co workers
Cons
No benefits, room for growth
East Cobb The Avenue is a nice location.
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAJanuary 30, 2017
I enjoyed my time while I was employed here. There were slow days & extremely busy days just like any spa. Pick your work days wisely because of that fact. Managment could be a lot better & more attentive to the needs and requests of employees. The current Front desk needs help balancing the books as well. Other than that it's a good place to work.
Pros
Discounts around the Avenue plaza.
Cons
Booking balancing.
Do Not Work Here!
Therapist (Current Employee) –  Danville caJanuary 2, 2017
Very poor manage place. That's why they have therapist coming going. People who nothing about the spa industry should stay in there corporate job. Working here was like being in a circus! Only the managers and owners were the clowns!
Pros
Good place to start
Cons
Pay was awful
Pros and cons
Front Desk Coordinator/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PANovember 29, 2016
Pros• free monlthy massages and facials easy job for the most part.

Cons• doesn't pay well at all you get $10 for a membership if you sell one for commission .
They push you to sell memberships constantly . If you don't meet there standards for selling they will start giving you a report card lol and telling you they have to make changes soon because you aren't selling . And everyone is replaceable .It is a good job for someone that's in high school or college .
No knowledgeable leadership
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAOctober 21, 2016
Sorry but nothing about this spa is healthy, which is sad because thats what we promote! Manager intentionally causes issues abd will be quick to get you fired with no probable cause. Owners are blind to fact that therapist keep business going and a lack of care for their concerns. I seen several employees talk down to, fired, and treated as if they have no value that include myself. The moment you speak up for yourself or try to justify any wrong doing you're out the door.
Pros
Free services
Cons
Management, gossip, racism, & more
Amazing massages and facials. Very welcoming enviornment
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WIAugust 5, 2016
You can get a little more pampering done at this spa, which would include foot scrubs, cold stone facials, and aromatherapy options. Great from the start when you walk in, they take your jacket and offer you a relaxing herbal tea while you wait for your therapist to be ready. The mood in the rooms is very inviting and relaxing. You defiantly leave there feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. All therapists are very informative in their field,
Front Desk Receptionist
SPA RECEPTIONIST (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAAugust 3, 2016
Checked in and out clients. scheduled clients. entered all information in to computer, scanned all papers into computer.
Pros
Layed Back

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6