Hand and Stone Massage and Facial Spa Employee Reviews in United States

A very calm and relaxed gataway
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Bedminster, NJJuly 7, 2016
I learned how to schedule people, check people in and out and pick up phone calls. Knowing how many different services we have. Many different codes. How to schedule the therapists and estheticians.
It used to be good....
LMT (Former Employee) –  Happy Valley, ORJune 27, 2016
It used to be good.
Then the new owners took over and ruined everything.
Management was horrible. Extreme favoritism among leads and management. The tier system is freaking joke.
They said they wouldn't lower our pay - they LIED.
I had over 10 years experience and seniority; they lowered my already pathetic pay down, almost $2!
They tried to make up for it by paying more for upgrades. Please.
They over work you. They take your ideas and do not acknowledge you for it.
They have diluted the company - at least for Oregon and Washington.
They were so desperate, they were asking Washington LMPs, to get their Oregon licenses ( they said they would pay for the license), and work in Oregon.
People were quitting in great succession.
The regional manager was even calling people who had previously quit, and had even been fired, to come back, because they needed to rebuild the staff!!! They all said no.
The ONLY thing these people care about is the request rate. They do not care about the employees.
Even the clients could feel a difference: the atmosphere is different.
The front desk people are rude, and you can't get an appointment.
And word is getting out.
They're turning into Massage Envy and that's not good.
The corruption goes all the way to the top.
This place should be shut down.
Pros
Free waxing for employees. Loved my coworkers. We were like family.
Cons
Too many to list. See review.
Horrible customer service
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Rockledge, FLJune 16, 2016
Customer service is horrible. ,Manager on staff Very rude. I would never ever recommend anyone to hand and stone, Staff needs to be more knowledgeable on the info they provide to their customers, instead of just trying to force them to sign up to become a member. I felt I was given false and misleading info re member services, and manager or staff was not helpful in any way.
Great job for starting after graduate
Licensed Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCMay 1, 2016
I worked in the Hand &Stone Massage and Facial almost 1 year. I loved this professional, positive, energetic, supportive, and safe team environment. I worked with great spa management team, my co-workers became my friends. We helped and supported each other.
Pros
Ongoing training, flexible work schedules based on your availability, great product line, mostly free services for employees, discount on product
Cons
low salaries and benefits, sometimes, when we had back-to-back clients, we had not time for break
beautiful spa, many nice people working there
LMBT- current employee (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 26, 2016
good place to start, however management consistently requests that therapists do unethical things that are flagrant policy violations and corporate merely says its up to the franchisee to enforce things. favoritism is very appparent- the spa managers relationship with another employee made her an intolerable twit, and really tanked the morale. clients even made jokes about it. very embarrassing
Pros
discounted services
Cons
no benefits
Low morale
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Clifton, NJFebruary 26, 2016
A typical day at the spa for a receptionist is pretty much the same as in any other spa. Daily duties may include but are not limited to: opening the spa, picking up phones to book appointments, checking-in/out clients coming in for services, maintaining the waiting area, and helping with laundry on busy days. The spa does not have any housekeeping personnel, so flipping rooms and washing towels is on front desk staff and therapists. So, nothing too complicated, and sounds like something anyone can do. Also, the main perk is that you do get good discounts on products and services. This might seem like a perfect job for a college student, looking to earn some extra cash, but be aware: the morale in this place is lower than the paycheck you will be getting. The manager is disrespectful and a bully, and more often than not uses profanity towards his/her subordinates, which is extremely unprofessional. Save yourself, and look elsewhere. There is a reason why they're desperate to hire and you don't even have to go through a real interview to get the job.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Low morale
Bad Manager
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 16, 2016
The coworkers are nice and I like them. I can't stand the asst manager.

work is easy. dont do too much during the day because its usually slow. nights are more busy. got trained and retrained and rreretrained.
Good team work environment.
Lead Esthetician (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCJanuary 24, 2016
I have enjoyed my three years with Hand and Stone.
The management is very willing to work with employees.
There are many reward and incentive programs for employees.
Save Yourself....
sales associate (Former Employee) –  FloridaNovember 27, 2015
They're permanently short staffed at the front desk which makes them desperate to hire. Thus, the people they hire are poorly chosen. For the amount of work you do the pay is not worth it. It is sales driven so you must attain and offer to every person who comes in the door that isn't already one. And every time they come you have sell it to them. That is doable if you work with professional staff. Also, owner doesn't deal well with not getting her way or embarrassment. She is very moody! You never know which personality you'll get. The therapist are unprofessional but are kept on payroll. If you plan on working part time forget about it unless it's for school. Even if you by a small chance are offered a promotion don't expect a decent raise.
Pros
Employment
Cons
Owner, Coworkers
Upbeat, friendly enviroment with knowledgable staff
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Brandon, FLNovember 24, 2015
Worked at various locations as a LMT. You will not find a better company that is geared toward patient care and the ability to grow and expand
Caring, loving management.
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Easton, PAOctober 20, 2015
My experience at Hand and Stone has been incredible so far. Management is considerate of your schedule outside of work and also your stamina is such a physically demanding career.
Relaxing, clientele based work environment where customer service is key.
Senior Spa Assoicate (Current Employee) –  Delran, NJOctober 19, 2015
Calm, relaxing workplace where one on one client service is important. Everyone gets along great and team work is imperative. Personally connecting with each client is part of my everyday task and to make sure they leave happy with their experiemce.
Co-workers
Esthetician (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXSeptember 22, 2015
Overall, the employees make this a great place to work. Great sense of community and you do what you love. Management supplies plenty of product knowledge education.
Long hours little pay
Spa Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 19, 2015
The amount they offer as pay isn't worth the responsibilities they ask of you. No promotions, no raises. Long weekend hours.
Stressful
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Clermont, FLAugust 6, 2015
Hand and Stone is like most massage establishment where you have to great guests, go over their symptoms, preform massage, clean your room and do laundry.
Spa Sales Associate
Spa Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  FloridaJune 19, 2015
This is a corporate business, so there's a lot of focus on sales. Management is unstable, we had different managers throughout me being there. Co-workers were great, huge turnover with therapists. Low pay for therapists.

A typical day would be coming in, sitting at the front desk until someone calls or comes in for their appointment. You're expected to sell a membership to each and every new client that comes in, if they are already a member you are expected to sell them on getting a upgrade. If your sales are low, they will fire you (or at least threaten to fire you).

Of course, it all depends on where you work and with who you work. The job is pretty simple, most difficult customers all had the same problem: membership cancellation, not wanting to put their credit card on file when booking appt, upset about time being cut off in their service, etc. Easy and boring job. Not very stimulating and extremely pushy with sales. There's also not much room for promotion, I had co-workers who were there for over a year and a half and no talk of raise or promotion.

You can also get away with getting massages and facials while on the clock (or off) and not having to pay for it, if you are an employee. The managers don't really accept it, unless they tell you to do so for training purposes, so you have to be smart about it. I made a lot of really great friends working there and a lot of the regulars are extremely nice. I would have stayed if management wasn't so pushy and unstable.
Pros
commission, "free" massages/facials
Cons
no raises, extremely sales focused, you're replaceable, no raises
Great Managers/Co-Workers....sucky everything else.
Spa Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington StateJune 18, 2015
I really enjoy my co-workers and LMT/Estheticians, they are wonderful and do a great job (for the Cruddypay they get).
I dislike the two-faced manager and how he treats other employees, particularly the LMTs. He is so cheap, he refused to give raises to those that deserve them. He doesn't care if LMTs are quitting and feel like they are second class.
The membership sales goal is slightly unfair, especially if they don't sign up because of a bad massage or facial. The spa Associate should not be punished for this.
There are no benefits/intensives to do well.
Pros
Free Monthly Services
Cons
No Benefits/Sales Goals are Ridiculous
its a job.
esthetician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, scJune 10, 2015
This company was my first job ever. For a first time job I learned so much and my co workers were amazing. I worked here for about a year and a half. They will work you to death. Which if you are in need of money is good. I had a big problem with management. They hired a first time spa manager, she was very nice but had no idea what she was doing. The managers tend to favor the desk staff and always do for them and not the other staff. Always out of supplies and after a year most of everything I used was broken. The pay is ok but not great for how much you put in. Consist pressure from company to meet there crazy standards. I did everything I could to get this place to hear my complaints. When I put in my notice did they finally start offering me what I wanted after months of telling them. would never do it again they almost had me burned out in this profession.
Pros
experience, hour break
Cons
no benefits, low pay, bad management
Awful
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Royersford, PAMay 29, 2015
I worked at Hand and Stone for a few months and the owner is ridiculous. She makes you shove memberships down peoples throats and gets angry at YOU if the person does not want to join the spa. DO NOT APPLY if you want to keep your sanity.
Pros
I love the company and the hours.
Cons
The owner of Royersford is not a good business owner.
Love working here except for the unprofessionalism
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 12, 2015
I absolutely love working there. I love most of the people, the clients and even the whole atmosphere. I did not love the un-professionalism from management. I really dont think the owner had a clue about half of the stunts that was pulled there by management.

2.3