Hand and Stone Massage and Facial Spa

Hand and Stone Massage and Facial Spa Employee Reviews

Love this company
Lead Esthetician (Current Employee) –  New City, NYSeptember 19, 2017
H&S provides wonderful opportunities for growth and development. Paid training and the ability to continue education at no cost to the employee. Clients are usually very happy with overall price and value of service
Spa Associate (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PASeptember 6, 2017
This was a very laid back place to work. The building was very nicely decorated which made it a great atmosphere for their clients along with employees. This company had great staff that are super friendly.
Poor Management
Assistant Manager/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 26, 2017
When I started working at Hand and Stone it was a fun place to work and I looked forward to going to work. The most enjoyable part of the job were the clients and seeing them weekly/monthly.
There was a change in management and the work environment went down quickly. There was a lack of trust and I learned to look out for myself. The owners of the spa are also not trustworthy.
I would not recommend this job to anyone because I would not want others to be treated unfairly.
Pros
Getting a free service monthly
Cons
Poor Management/Lack of trust
Hand and stone is a great environment-the troy location
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIAugust 23, 2017
Sumit the owner is a positive person with a positive attitude and I appreciate his demeanor in a boss. I have enjoyed [working here and would recommend to other therapists to do so.
Pros
get to do spa treatments to lengthen your career
Cons
wish the tier system was easier to understand
Do not work for this company!
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 18, 2017
Poor ownership
Poorly managed
Spiteful and deceitful staff
Unhygienic

I did not enjoy working here and do not recommend

DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY
Pros
Being able to help clients
Cons
Unprofessionally managed
Not enough time between clients
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLAugust 18, 2017
They are flexible with hours, and give you a dependable stream of clientele, but there is only 5-10 minutes between clients to turn the room. It feels a little bit like a massage factory, and moral is pretty low.
Pros
steady, dependable clientele and flexible hours.
Cons
not enough time between clients
Horrible Owners and Management
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Peachtree City, GAAugust 15, 2017
The owner doesn't have a clue about owning or running a spa, and he keeps hiring manager's that don't know anything either. The front desk are incompetent. The owner fired all of the black employees in one week.
Pros
Sprouts is next door
Fun starter job
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLAugust 8, 2017
Good starter job with room for growth. Very sales oriented but good compensation for high sales. Good training and guidance. Would recommend to anyone.
Nice place, just wish it were more professional and team oriented
Lead Esthetician (Current Employee) –  Warrington, PAAugust 8, 2017
I have great clients, and i can choose my own hours to work. The owner is great. I would like to have a present manager to help make hand and stone more professional and run more smoothly.
Pros
Owner is great, tips are nice and you can set your own hours
Cons
Not always full schedule, lack of teamwork
Nice place to work.
MASSAGE THERAPIST (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJuly 14, 2017
Nice place to work. You can get a lot of experience seeing a lot of people. Management is great, workplace is very nice. Everyone works together as a team.
Pros
Good experience in spa modalities
Productive and fun loving work environment
Esthetician (Current Employee) –  Middletown, NJJuly 13, 2017
Positive work environment with knowledgeable clinicians great therapists with a healing touch. Product knowlagement on going training in education for skincare products with paid education
Pros
Paid education
Relaxing work environment
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NJJuly 10, 2017
Health and wellness headquarters at hand and stone. Where massages and facials can bring a form of relaxation to anyone on a budget without sacraficing quality of service.
Welcoming and supportive at first, intimidating and annoying afterwards
Spa Associate (Former Employee) –  FloridaJune 26, 2017
I used to work at a restaurant for a year and a half prior, and I was great with customer service and would have to offer people to sign up for loyalty cards so selling something like a membership is not new to me. However, this job is 99% focused on membership sales and 1% focused on how well you do every other part of your job. I completely understand that it is an important part of the job as it was stressed to me in training, but it is absolutely ridiculous how much they focus on it. Some people simply do not want to pay monthly dues for a massage every month, and they push that you ask people until they say "no" to you three times and personally I just feel like I am pestering them or being rude especially if they say they cannot afford it, I am not going to keep pressuring them to sign up!

I absolutely loved the staff, but the owner acted like it was the FBI or something. She would constantly watch the cameras and text us throughout the day about why we moved appointments or why we did not just get that person to sign a membership and were pressured constantly to sell more memberships. At first I was really excited about the job and thought management was supportive and understanding but I had not even seen the owner since I started training and she provided no support when I asked for help with memberships at one point.

Again, LOVE the staff and working there, but the pressure to sell memberships and being constantly watched on cameras and questioned all day was ANNOYING.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WIJune 26, 2017
This is a good place to start your career. It's a entry level sales job.You will learn a lot from how to sell people things to dealing with those same people in different situations.
If starting your massage career avoid places like hand and stone and massage envy. these companies exploit new therapists starting out.
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Longwood, FLJune 26, 2017
The pay was decent, but management was unprofessional, and the owner is very unprofessional. The front desk has favorites on who they want to book and the therapists are treated as expendable instead of valued employees. Also, the therapists are not protected from inappropriate customers, instead the customer is switched to another therapist. My advice for new LMT's trying to start career, work at chiropractor office, much better work environment.
Pros
flexible schedule, good pay
Cons
bad management, poor treatment
no comment
Lead Therapist, Trainer (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJune 23, 2017
Again with the mandatory review of a place I used to work. Seriously? If I thought it was great I'd still be there. The manager sucked and the owner didn't care about anything but the bottom line.
Enjoyed clients
Esthetician/Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJune 20, 2017
Services given to clients was fun: massages, facials, body waxing. Paychecks were great as well as the tips. The downside to this specific location was the management.
Loved it
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJune 14, 2017
Great company, fabulous management! Couldn't be happier with my experience at hand and stone, sadly I moved and couldn't stay with the company. By far one of my favorite jobs!
Pros
Tons
Cons
Not really any
Don't work at this location
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJune 10, 2017
My coworkers were awesome and so were the owners but the manager is what really made me leave. She is more focused on sales than the clients and employees. She also expects miracles and nothing is ever good enough for her. I would work for a different location as long as the manager is not the same.
Pros
Coworkers and clients
Cons
Pay, manager, and extremely sales driven
Great for Starting Out
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAJune 9, 2017
The Hand & Stone in Marietta is an excellent business for those fresh out of school, or whom need a part-time job with steady clientele. Management is friendly and easy-going, which translates well to the rest of the staff, who operate more like a family.

The only major drawback is the pay. Hand & Stone is a franchise much like Massage Envy; they thrive by underpaying therapists. Expect to receive about $17 per massage.
Pros
Great environment and staff, steady work, reliable equipment
Cons
Low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hand and Stone Massage and Facial Spa. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5