Hand and Stone Massage and Facial Spa

Hand and Stone Massage and Facial Spa Employee Reviews

The perfect place to work...if you hate yourself
Lead Massage Therapist (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: awesome massage therapists
Cons: everything else
The owners only care about the money, and pressure you to bend the rules. They overbook you on a regular basis. They schedule you with "problem clients" even after you've made it clear they were inappropriate, and you refuse to work on them again.

The other massage therapists are usually wonderful people to work with, although the occasional backstabber shows up (but that's true anywhere). The great co-workers, however, do little to balance out the awful owners.
love the staff
Spa Associate (Former Employee), Mays Landing, NJJanuary 22, 2015
The objective is to sell memberships. You are competing with other employees to do the same thing, not many associates last long there because in order to stay you must sell at least 25% in a month. When a lot of people are not interested in purchasing a membership it affects your percentage. There is no manager to keep track of business. The owner is a certified jerk. Referred to me as a "p***y b***h". He demonstrates poor management. The only thing I enjoyed about this job was the staff i worked with. I would not recommend getting a job here.
Not a Professional Place
Esthetician (Former Employee), Willow grove, PADecember 2, 2014
Pros: nice clean place
Cons: no benifits, don't treat you equally
I am an Esthetician for 4 years now and recently I left my old job because I was looking for a change. So I saw their job post and send my resume. I got a call and was scheduled for an interview. She selected me right on the interview day, I filled up the application and scheduled for hands on interview and I cleared that too. So, I got a call after 2 or 3 weeks for the protocol training. I went there at 8am which lasted till 3 pm. Then there was other training for dermalogica where I found out the other girls got paid for the first day training and they were getting paid for this one too. So, I emailed her and she asked me about the location after that I never received anything.
I mean it was a complete waste of time! They wasted my 3 whole months which I could have used to find other jobs.
I don't know if they are being racist or what but that was unfair. If I was doing the same thing as others then they should have treated me like others!
I am glad I didn't get this job!!
Awesome people!
Esthetician/Marketing (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCOctober 7, 2014
By far the best employers I've had. And management was great too! I loved everyone I worked with, we made a boring day so much more fun! Everyone was absolutely a joy to be around. They always did the best they could to make sure we were happy and taken care of. I miss them a lot!
Awesome working envirment
Spa Manager (Former Employee), Winter Park, FLSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: enjoyed going to work everyday
Cons: cuts in commisions and bonuses
Loved working with clients and employees. Enjoyed going to work everyday. Loved being an environment that helps heal. Always gave 110% to everything I did at the spa, with the clients and with the employees.
Very relaxed work environment.
Massage Therapist (Former Employee), Columbia, SCAugust 13, 2014
Pros: massages.
Cons: lunch breaks vary.
Great place to work for new and experienced Massage therapist.
You could work for worse.
SA (Former Employee), IllinoisAugust 3, 2014
Pros: clientele, coworkers, beautiful spa
Cons: regional manager
I was with them just a brief time and the actual job itself was decent. Not terribly difficult or taxing, but the constant belittling by the "Regional Manager" was ridiculous. The biggest push of the position is membership sales. Not hard if you know how to talk to people. I love meeting the new people and seeing old faces. Kildeer is a beautiful location and it is a shame it just didn't work out.
Great co workers, basically no pay
Massage therapist (Current Employee), Naples FloriaJuly 15, 2014
Pros: people i work with, credit card tips are not included in pay check, flexible hours, very sweet managers
Cons: front desk "senior" sa has a constant attitude, there is no money, can't leave have to sit there, you don't get paid unless you have a client and it's not much
very slow, especially off season, granted it is a new spa. only get paid $16 a massage, if you have no clients you don't get paid. You can't be on call or leave, management frowns upon that. Good for therapists just getting out of school. management works with your hours, they don't work you like a horse, they are understanding and friendly. This is a job if you want extra cash, definitely not to make a living.
Awful management.
Massage Therapist (Current Employee), Algonquin, ILJuly 5, 2014
Pros: don't force you to do anything you don't want to, usually a 15 minute gap, laid back atmosphere
Cons: horrible management, disorganized, rude management, 45 day time off request rule
I liked this place when I first started working there as a Massage Therapist. I thought the pay was about average (I was wrong. The pay is well below average. We get paid commission only, no base hourly wage.) I was fresh out of school and just needed a job. I now HATE HATE HATE working here and I am looking to leave ASAP.

The management is AWFUL. They care nothing about their employees even if they keep saying that. The new 45 day rule just went into affect. They want a 45 day notice if you need a day off. 45 days! Thats insanity. AND, when you do send in an email requesting time off, you wait indefinitely for a response. You will have to keep emailing until you get it confirmed.

We now have a 'script' that we MUST say to every client at greeting, whether it is a new client or returning. We have to inform them as they head into the hallway that we are entering a 'quiet zone' and would like it if they could refrain from talking in the hallway...

Is this 5th f***ing grade? No. Theres absolutely no reason you shouldnt be able to whisper in the hallway. There is music playing in the rooms. It would be very unlikely for a client to feel like their session was "disturbed" by someone talking.

They keep bragging about how well they are doing as a business, and how they are "constantly turning away clients!" So what was wrong with the old rules? NOTHING. All they care about is money.

By the way, the entire spa went a good 2 months without a manager at all. We've been running around like chickens with our heads cut off. It's been insane.

I really, really hate this place. Tread carefully.
An Afforadable Spa for Massages and Facials
Receptionist/Office Assistant (Current Employee), Winchester, VAJune 21, 2014
Pros: when you are first hired and are allowed one free massage and one free facial
Cons: absolutely no benefits, and hours are kept very low as to pay as little as possible.
A typical day at work consists of welcoming and checking in clients coming in for services, entering and filing intake forms, setting up appointments face-to-face as well as online, and updating and logging the daily business reports.
Having fun getting to meet new people
Massage Therapist (Former Employee), MayslandingApril 16, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: there was nothing i didnt like
I learned that being on time is a key. Also making sure all job responsibilities are done correctly
Enjoyable workplace
Massage Therapist (Former Employee), Hamilton, NJApril 4, 2014
A typical day would be performing consecutive 50-120 minute massages, approximately 6 before receiving a break. Both the management and my coworkers were wonderful, they immediately made me feel welcome. The most enjoyable part was promoting health and wellness benefits to my clients based on their individual needs.The hardest part of my job was getting clients to follow through with suggestions to small changes in their activities of daily living that would benefit their overall health and wellness.
Busy Location With a Great Atmosphere
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: discounts
Cons: no benefits
Learned and implemented marketing and management strategies, much product knowledge of skincare lines, as well as massage techniques and classifications. This location has a lot of high phone call volume, so most days were filled with answering calls from clients wanting to make appointments. Great therapists and esthetician staff.
A relaxed atmosphere in which to work
Massage Therapist (Current Employee), Goodyear, AZNovember 2, 2013
Pros: wonderful coworkers
Cons: not really any
You walk in check your work schedule and set up your room. See what needs to be done during a down time. The management and staff are wonderful to work with and everyone are very helpful with each other.

I have learned so much from working here and meeting a variety of people.

Hardest part can be when the client doesn't tell you everything and you find out half way through the massage.
relaxed workplace
MASSAGE THERAPIST (Current Employee), Longwood, FLJuly 24, 2013
Pros: set scheduling
Cons: not enough business
-typical day is doing your scheduled services and doing laundry
-learned how to keep a steady flow of regular clients
-new management
-co workers work together as a team
-hardest part of the job is waiting hours between clients
-most enjoyable part: clientele and coworkers
Please ask in nterview
Sales Manager/Administrative and Sales Associate (Former Employee), Lacey, WAMay 18, 2013
Sales Manager/Administrative and Sales Associate December 2011 – March 2013
Received Employee of the month June 2012
Manage multiple phone lines
Respond to customer concerns
Enter data in millennium software
Proficiently utilize Microsoft Office Suite
Greet clients and scheduling appointments and meetings
60% conversion rate or higher
Membership sales
Great owner,but manager ruins it
Front Desk and Esthetician (Current Employee), Costa Mesa, CAFebruary 11, 2013
Pros: great location
Cons: horrific managment, low pay
If the owner ran it, it would be ideal,but he doesnt.The woman who runs the establishment has no regard for his money and doesnt keep up with the board and what the regulations are henceforth wasting his money. She's a know it all that knows nothing,if he got rid of her the place would be golden.

Hand and Stone Massage and Facial Spa Salaries