Hanjin Shipping Employee Reviews

not a bad company
Export Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 22, 2017
Their office closed in my region, everyone was let go. Prior to being let go the experience was nice. It was an entry level position and helped me get comfortable in a new field.
Productive and fun place to work at
Export Equipment Control Coordinator / Analyst (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJune 29, 2017
Productive and fun place to work at. Lots of good cross training and relationship building. Room for growth and advancement. Would have recommended for anyone in the transportation field.
Logistics Coordinator
Logistical Representative (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 15, 2017
Went in, did my work, got paid.

Cannot remember much more as it was over 16 years ago and I only worked there a few months to have a job until I went to OCS in the Army.
Company has filed bankruptcy
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 22, 2017
This company has filed for bankruptcy. Operations have currently ceased. It is not known if company will resume operations in the future. However it was a good company to work for.
It was nice to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Newark, NJApril 12, 2017
This company was closed business because the operation is ceased by bankruptcy. However, it was nice to work and provided good circumstances for employees.
Great company to work for
Booking Associate (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZOctober 24, 2016
Typical day included creating and updating bookings for customers and freight forwarders by email and phone. Workload was steady and handled as a team effort. Hanjin was a great company to work for in virtually every aspect. The environment was very relaxed and professional, even in times of heavy workload and chaos. Hours, benefits and management were all great. No late nights, no weekends, no unexpected overtime. Everyone worked together and got the job done. Very little "office gossip" issues. Management was friendly and always willing to help. Pay was above industry standard, and only increased with proof of relevant higher education/experience in the industry. It's a shame the company had to file bankruptcy and won't be around much longer.
Pros
Benefits, pay, management and environment
Cons
Bankruptcy
Inside Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 4, 2016
A typical day at work consists of overseeing inside sales reps and assisting outside reps. Throughout the day various tasks are completed, including reading emails, answering phones, drafting service contract proposals/amendments, providing rate quotes, negotiating pricing offers and resolving customer issues.
Pros
Flexibility, Healthcare Benefits, Teamwork
Cons
Cross Training, Recognition
Run into the ground
Account Manager-Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 3, 2016
Unfortunately, Hanjin has become the unsupported shipping company by the Korean Development bank, instead only choosing to continue to fund the Hyundai group for continuation. The industry has been plagued by oversupply and lower demand since 2008, and our bankruptcy is a sign of things to come in the carrier industry. Due to such, a majority of the staff has been laid off on the last day of September, and should close up operations by middle of November.
Pros
Time management, ability to work independently to secure new business
Cons
lack of structure and support from management
Traffic Corrdinator
Traffic Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZSeptember 27, 2016
I have loved working for Hanjin Shipping. This experience has given me a great deal of pride and respect for myself. I have gained a vast knowledge of the shipping industry. I have enjoyed my coworkers and working with my truckers in the Pacific Northwest.
Pros
Excellent Benefit Package
Cons
The company went bankrupt
good work area
Senior Traffic Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 23, 2016
hours are good - pay good open door policy to supervisors it is rare with management.
we (in each department) are always helping one another
Great group of people to work with..
Senior Inside Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILSeptember 18, 2016
Assisted daily tasks with managers, outside sales reps and co-workers.
Learned a lot of international / transportation business.

Enjoyed working with our local management and co-workers.

The hardest time of our job was during bid season which is February thru May.. All the import bids and contract filings were completed in this time frame.

Enjoyable part of my job was the co-workers and location.
Pros
Easily to approach management; great benefits
Cons
Not much room for growth
Great culture, busy environment, productive each day
Booking associate (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZSeptember 12, 2016
I enjoy working for Hanjin shipping for many reasons. It helped me learn the fundamentals and details of importing and exporting goods internationally. Each day was a new goal set to accomplish the very detail oriented task at hand. To create a booking, there are many factors. You have to make sure the routing, commodity, and container size fit the criteria of being shipped, which takes many processes. I would continue to work for Hanjin Shipping if the company did not file for bankruptcy. We have a limited time until the entire company will be laid off.
Pros
Free Health benefits
Cons
Company went Bankrupt
Productve workplace
Accounts Payable Associate (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZSeptember 6, 2016
Great starting step for recent graduates. Fun coworkers who are helpful. They provide monthly department lunch. Learned basic logistics operations from the company.
Pros
Free department lunch
Productive and good place to learn
Senior Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZSeptember 6, 2016
Almost everyday very busy in the same way.This is very sensitive industry, never can't say "will do it tomorrow", action has to be done right away.
Learned a lot about this industries, now I have a strong confident label about Export, Import, Customs, Port, also learned about Account receivable function under a good management along with very good quality co-worker. Hardest part of the job was to work with my manager.However always I overcome the situation by my good patience and error free job.
Pros
Free Medical Insurance
Cons
15 min break every 2 hours
Global steamship line
Key Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJSeptember 5, 2016
Hanjin was very well organized and professional. I was a Key Account Manager for a handful of our largest export accounts as well as some global accounts in the Northeast region. It was my responsibility to lead our sales effort for these accounts by communicating with key decision makers on the customer side and coordinating with our sales reps and inside sale reps.
Solid Place to Work
West Coast Maintenance & Repair (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZMay 28, 2016
Great people!

A little slow to start, there is no training but the pay is reliable and the benefits are great!

Dealing mostly with damage equipment, you realize the immense scale of international shipping and learn to control the short comings in the industry.
Too much work, no regards for temps
West Coast Imports Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZApril 27, 2015
I was a temp employee while working for Hanjin, and that means I basically didn't exist to them. The company's headquarters are in South Korea, so the values are a lot more strict and unnecessary than your usual company in the United States. The work load was never-ending. They kept piling more and more reports, projects, and paperwork to do, and just when I thought I couldn't possibly fit any more into my daily duties, they decided to have me answer phones and respond to group email. Now, I am very good at managing my daily tasks. I have excellent organizational skills, I'm a fast and motivated learner, and I enjoyed the majority of what I did. It was a nice change of pace to have daily reports to run at such and such time of every day, or every other day. However, it got to be that I was basically forced to let some reports go for a day or two, just so I could catch up to the more important things. I have no doubt in my mind that this would not have been the case, had they not had us answering the phones on top of everything else we were scheduled to do. I don't mind answering the phones, but I had specifically told the agency I was going through that I did not want a customer service job where I had to answer phones all day. And for a while, it was strictly reports and emails. However once they decided to have me answer the phones, I simply couldn't manage my work load as well any longer. The main reason for this, is that it's very easy to lose your place in the middle of a big report/project, once the phone rings and you're dealing with question after question after question  more... from frantic and needy customers, who you can hardly understand, no less (over half of Hanjin's customers had very thick Asian accents). So, a simple phone call that would have normally taken two minutes to answer a few questions, would turn into a 10+ minute long ordeal, in order to fully understand exactly what each customer was asking for. This department should have a separate phone based customer service team, but instead they decide to overload each employee, creating a stressful work environment. If it weren't for the phones, and if they followed basic U.S management strategies, I feel this could've been the perfect position for me.  less
Pros
The generosity and personal care of some of the management
Cons
Corporate take over and unnecessary micro managing
Hanjin Shipping - Get your experience and go
Traffic Associate (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZMarch 31, 2015
While I found Hanjin to be an enjoyable place to work for the first 6 months or so, I found the position to be acutely unsatisfying afterwards.

A typical day at work included dispatching work orders to truckers, convening with upper management with regards to rates and answering numerous phone calls and emails regarding shipments. Emails can easily number in the hundreds daily. Difficulty in the job stems from perceived lack of support and meaningful communication with North American and overseas headquarters as well as dealing with frequent, malicious comparisons to other shipping lines by customers regarding shipping practices, though the validity of these claims cannot always be verified. The most enjoyable part of the job is forming and fortifying relationships with truckers so as to be on a first name basis with them. If you form a good relationship with a trucker, they will want to work with you as much as possible, but in pursuit of a lower bottom line, the company will regularly throw these truckers under the bus if they feel the truckers are getting too needy.

Benefits are likely some of the best you'll experience, with almost complete coverage. If you snapped both of your femurs, the most you would likely pay would be $100. Co-workers are friendly and you will likely be forming some good friendships if you work at Hanjin. Management and supervisors are agreeable and easy to build a rapport with.

While good for gaining experience in the logistics industry, I would recommend getting your experience and moving on to a company that treats employees more like
  more... employees and less like disposable commodities.  less
Pros
Excellent health insurance benefits, able to form meaningful relationships with co-workers and truckers, good platform for learning how the shipping industry works
Cons
Lack of training, low salary, very little room for promotion, lack of meaningful communication between office and HQ, work load may be overwhelming, especially during holidays or other "crush periods"
stepping stone with great benefits
Operations (Former Employee) –  GAOctober 17, 2014
Great entry level way to gain industry experience, awesome benefits paid by company. There is too much turnover & little room for advancement. Company is poorly run and losing tons of money, HQ in Korea is clueless...outlook for long term survival is not good. Get your experience & move on like everyone else.
Pros
awesome healthcare benefits paid by company, monthly company lunches
Cons
low salary, hire young college grads who get experience & move on quickly, weak opportunity for advancement
fast paced international shipping company
Rail Tracing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZSeptember 20, 2014
Typical days included hundreds of emails, phone calls, and numerous detailed status reports for management review.
Pros
healthcare, co-workers
Cons
poor training, lack of communication, limited advancement opportunities