Hanjin Shipping Employee Reviews

Run into the ground
Account Manager-Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 3, 2016
Unfortunately, Hanjin has become the unsupported shipping company by the Korean Development bank, instead only choosing to continue to fund the Hyundai group for continuation. The industry has been plagued by oversupply and lower demand since 2008, and our bankruptcy is a sign of things to come in the carrier industry. Due to such, a majority of the staff has been laid off on the last day of September, and should close up operations by middle of November.
Pros
Time management, ability to work independently to secure new business
Cons
lack of structure and support from management
Great group of people to work with..
Senior Inside Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILSeptember 18, 2016
Assisted daily tasks with managers, outside sales reps and co-workers.
Learned a lot of international / transportation business.

Enjoyed working with our local management and co-workers.

The hardest time of our job was during bid season which is February thru May.. All the import bids and contract filings were completed in this time frame.

Enjoyable part of my job was the co-workers and location.
Pros
Easily to approach management; great benefits
Cons
Not much room for growth
Great culture, busy environment, productive each day
Booking associate (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZSeptember 12, 2016
I enjoy working for Hanjin shipping for many reasons. It helped me learn the fundamentals and details of importing and exporting goods internationally. Each day was a new goal set to accomplish the very detail oriented task at hand. To create a booking, there are many factors. You have to make sure the routing, commodity, and container size fit the criteria of being shipped, which takes many processes. I would continue to work for Hanjin Shipping if the company did not file for bankruptcy. We have a limited time until the entire company will be laid off.
Pros
Free Health benefits
Cons
Company went Bankrupt
Productive and good place to learn
Senior Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZSeptember 6, 2016
Almost everyday very busy in the same way.This is very sensitive industry, never can't say "will do it tomorrow", action has to be done right away.
Learned a lot about this industries, now I have a strong confident label about Export, Import, Customs, Port, also learned about Account receivable function under a good management along with very good quality co-worker. Hardest part of the job was to work with my manager.However always I overcome the situation by my good patience and error free job.
Pros
Free Medical Insurance
Cons
15 min break every 2 hours
Great company to work for
Booking Associate (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZOctober 24, 2016
Typical day included creating and updating bookings for customers and freight forwarders by email and phone. Workload was steady and handled as a team effort. Hanjin was a great company to work for in virtually every aspect. The environment was very relaxed and professional, even in times of heavy workload and chaos. Hours, benefits and management were all great. No late nights, no weekends, no unexpected overtime. Everyone worked together and got the job done. Very little "office gossip" issues. Management was friendly and always willing to help. Pay was above industry standard, and only increased with proof of relevant higher education/experience in the industry. It's a shame the company had to file bankruptcy and won't be around much longer.
Pros
Benefits, pay, management and environment
Cons
Bankruptcy
Global steamship line
Key Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJSeptember 5, 2016
Hanjin was very well organized and professional. I was a Key Account Manager for a handful of our largest export accounts as well as some global accounts in the Northeast region. It was my responsibility to lead our sales effort for these accounts by communicating with key decision makers on the customer side and coordinating with our sales reps and inside sale reps.
Traffic Corrdinator
Traffic Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZSeptember 27, 2016
I have loved working for Hanjin Shipping. This experience has given me a great deal of pride and respect for myself. I have gained a vast knowledge of the shipping industry. I have enjoyed my coworkers and working with my truckers in the Pacific Northwest.
Pros
Excellent Benefit Package
Cons
The company went bankrupt
Productve workplace
Accounts Payable Associate (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZSeptember 6, 2016
Great starting step for recent graduates. Fun coworkers who are helpful. They provide monthly department lunch. Learned basic logistics operations from the company.
Pros
Free department lunch
Solid Place to Work
West Coast Maintenance & Repair (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZMay 28, 2016
Great people!

A little slow to start, there is no training but the pay is reliable and the benefits are great!

Dealing mostly with damage equipment, you realize the immense scale of international shipping and learn to control the short comings in the industry.
good work area
Senior Traffic Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 23, 2016
hours are good - pay good open door policy to supervisors it is rare with management.
we (in each department) are always helping one another

Want to know more about Hanjin Shipping?

Ask a question
stepping stone with great benefits
Operations (Former Employee) –  GAOctober 17, 2014
Great entry level way to gain industry experience, awesome benefits paid by company. There is too much turnover & little room for advancement. Company is poorly run and losing tons of money, HQ in Korea is clueless...outlook for long term survival is not good. Get your experience & move on like everyone else.
Pros
awesome healthcare benefits paid by company, monthly company lunches
Cons
low salary, hire young college grads who get experience & move on quickly, weak opportunity for advancement
Coordinator/Customer Service Out Bound Documentation Rep
Coordinator/Out Bound Documentation Rep (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJAugust 3, 2014
Responsibilities for rates and data base management of documentation for outbound customer cargo destined to Asia, Middle East and South America and Europe.
• Filing export declaration to customs. Entertain inquiries as to vessel arrival and departures, all aspects of customer service. Investigate and do Revenue Debit Notes, fault as to whose office is in charge or would charge. Making third party billing for customs fines and other issues for misleading, demurrage, penalties.
• Support sales at any given time, usually involving sales issues, customer inquiries, and shipping information.
Great Company with great Benefists
Inside Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oakbrook, ILJanuary 23, 2014
A typical work day would be creating service contracts and processing amendments, providing rate quotations to customers, and problem solving.

I have enhanced my Microsoft Office skills.

My co-workers are team players.

The hardest part of my job is the financial situation of the industry.

The most enjoyable part of my job is problem solving.
Pros
Free Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
export customer service and dispatch
Import/Export Intermodal Dispatch Specialist (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJAugust 13, 2013
spent more than a decade with this company and like anything else it has it's pro's and cons. A stable company, strong benefits but limited opportunities for growth or self fulfillment.
Pros
good benefit package, work environment
Cons
management approach
fast paced international shipping company
Rail Tracing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZSeptember 20, 2014
Typical days included hundreds of emails, phone calls, and numerous detailed status reports for management review.
Pros
healthcare, co-workers
Cons
poor training, lack of communication, limited advancement opportunities
Global Shipping
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 20, 2012
This company was great as far as providing 100% covered medical and dental benefits.
great co-workers
Some flexibility
Learned a lot about the shipping industry
Relax working environment
SALES ADMINISTRATIVE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 19, 2013
. Regular working hours
. Management from Korea
. Co-works are all nice and cooperative.
Pros
good health insurance and vacation days
Quite and calm environment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco ,CaMarch 30, 2012
I learned a lot about shipping products overseas and the company overall was a very nice place to work
Good place
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJMay 30, 2014
Good place to work. Could have given permanent position.It could had stayed opened longer time.
Fast work environment, stressful
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  AlpharettaJune 2, 2014
Very high volume of emails. Stressful work days. Straight salary, no commission.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hanjin Shipping. Our community is ready to answer.