Hannaford Employee Reviews in United States

Fast paced work environment
Front End Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterville, MEFebruary 27, 2016
While I enjoy my time at Hannaford's its a job vert limited by nature. There's little to no chances to move up in the career ladder and full-time positions are nearly impossible to come by. Unstable work hours and little to no raises leave me wanting more from my job.

Many of the people who work here are students, ranging from high school to college, with several older associates mixed in. There's no delegation between age groups(i.e. younger associates also have changes to achieve leadership positions just as older, more experienced associates).

The most enjoyable part of the job is the customer service. Handling and dealing with individual customers with the chance to improve their day, mood, opinion on the store or even their life is what keeps me from leaving right away. Unforunately we're still very limited in assisting customers in a more hands on way by the regulations and rules of the business.
Pros
Fair breaks and lunches, excellent customer service interation
Cons
Very limited raises, strict regulations, unstable hours, little to no job stability, few holidays
Fun place to work
Cashier and Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Saint Albans, VTFebruary 18, 2016
Co-workers are extremely friendly and there is plenty of ability to advance, but management is a bit poor, and benefits are lacking.
Pros
Extremely flexible towards scheduling, free lunches on occasion
Cons
Unfriendly management in some departments, benefits aren't provided with employment.
Management and associates worked well togather
Porduce Associate (Former Employee) –  Wells, MEDecember 17, 2015
Management and associates worked well togather to meet common goal of good customer service.

Management rewarded performance with financial benefits when warranted.

Continuous training on customer service was mandatory for all managers and associates.

In depth training of department products was provided prior to working on the floor.
Pros
Scheduling of work hours was done in a collaborate manner with associate.
great place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New HampshireMarch 18, 2016
Its a good company to work for. people are nice and you get benefits. there is opportunity for advancement. Company that you can work for for years.
Easy work, flexible hours, calm environment
Front End Associate (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHJanuary 4, 2016
The part time job at Hannaford is better than most, shifts are easily traded, given away, and acquired. This sets them apart from most other, more demanding and less employed companies.
Pros
paid break, simple tasks, not too much heat from management
Cons
no benefits for part time, salary progression is very slow.
Great job. Great career opportunity
Manager Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Delmar, NYDecember 23, 2015
Great place to start a retail career. Work hard and advancement will be offered to you. Salary positions in the stores often require 50-70 hours per week.
Cons
Changing company ownership has changed culture
Good place to work but management was very rude
Grocery Store Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Yarmouth, MEDecember 10, 2015
I enjoyed working there and was starting to work my way to a higher position but I was lied to about a raise and I had my hours randomly dropped some weeks without warning to "save money"
Pros
nice people
Cons
not treated like a person
No work advancement
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Milford, MAMarch 26, 2016
I worked there for almost ten years no work advancement. Management only cares for themselves. Employees were nice but very mistreated by management. I would not recommend. No acknowledge for good accomplishments. The hardest part of the job is being held responsible for things you have no control over and having to act as supervisor and manager when management is not ready available. Cart retrieval was the best part of this job.
Pros
The employees
Cons
Mistreatment by management, under paid, short breaks
A fun, great place to work
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Amsterdam, NYAugust 14, 2015
This is a fun place to work. Great people, both on management and entry level, good benefits including a 401k plan, insurance as well as paid vacation time. They have a plan for those interested in taking it to the next level and are open to people working in multiple departments. As a bonus, there are often treats in the breakroom from ice cream to hot dogs as well as the occasional drawing or potluck. For those looking to help with charity, they offer the option to donate a portion of your paycheck to The United Way as well as another to help fellow associates in need should they fall on hard times.
Love working with the public and helping people.
Assistant Manager of Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYJuly 18, 2015
A typical day is over seeing approximately 20 associates a day and taking care of customers. I typically have management duties that I have to do daily like paper work, checking on the bookkeeper, weekly scheduling, running labor, and occasionally doing payroll functions. I am currently running Hannaford to Go and enjoying it. I get along with all my fellow associates and I am told that I am a good listener along with a great person to work with. I enjoy working with the people that I do and getting to know customers. I try to learn each of their names.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
Medical benefits are not the greatest.
Wasn't too bad for my first job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hudson, MAJanuary 23, 2016
A typical work day would depend on what time of the day you would come in for your shift. If you opened the department you would be there getting everything set up for the day. You would deal with all the customers usually and provide the best customer service that you could, even with the customer being a jerk over nothing. Management went downhill really fast when they kept bringing in new managers for the department. I actually got fired because my new manager didn't like me, didn't give me any hours, told HR department that I have failed to contact him and I abandoned my job.
Much public interaction and human skills required; advancement potential
Manager of Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Falmouth, MEJune 25, 2015
Hannaford possesses management that generally practices professionalism in their interactions with subordinates. The management team does have a more laissez-faire attitude with peers, which can lead to a more balanced work day. Compensation is average for the industry; neither the best or the worst (Save a Lot usually rated lowest, Whole Foods usually rated best in my research). Advancement potential is there, but like most retail operations, competition is stiff as the labor pool is large. This can lead to frustration for many as there are often fewer positions available than there are well qualified candidates. This can lead to stagnation and lower morale. Overall, I rate Hannaford as a better-than-average company for whom to work.
Pros
Manager outings, annual bonuses for salaried managers
Cons
Expensive and poor quality health insurance; often large periods of time required for advancement
great place to work for my first job
Light housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 20, 2015
The place was very organize. The coworkers were always polite and helpful when needed. Their I would clean bathroom, bag items for customers, and grett each customer with a smile and a thankyou for coming.The hardest part of the job for me was having to leave . This most enjoyable part to me was meeting all the guest and getting to know them like family.
Pros
people, pay, benefits
Cons
shortbreaks, late co-workers
flexibility
Cake Decorator (Current Employee) –  Riverside, Portland, MEMay 28, 2015
Hannaford is a great company to work for if you have a second job. They truly are flexible with your hours and accommodating days off.
A typical day consists of regularly scheduled breaks and general corporate company rule following.
Management is generally friendly, though outliers exist in any environment.
Co-workers are generally helpful, though the above applies here too.
The hardest part of the job is the feeling of being considered only as a number to the company. If your manager is a good manager they will keep morale up, but it takes a toll.
The most enjoyable part of the job is making the customer who ordered a special cake that I designed beam with appreciation when the cake is revealed. That makes your day.
Pros
Friendly environment, regular customers
Cons
minimal raises, excessive silly rules
Hanna fords Supermarket retail
Cashier and Cart Worker (Former Employee) –  182 Summer Street, Kingston, MAMay 18, 2016
Hannafords first off was my 1st official, actual real job (umpiring I don't really count as a job so much as an activity). At Hanford's I went through a extensive amount of training via videos or lessons on a computer before I actually began as a cashier. However as I cashier I was relayed on to do and get groceries and customers done very quickly but also effectively. Also I organized shopping carts when asked to. This experience of a cashier gave me much better people skills from always greeting all types of people in all types of moods, ranging from very happy to a mad and bad mooded person just looking to take some anger out on someone.
Pros
Flexible hours, easy breaks, good experience
Cons
Lot of pressure on doing things incredibly fast
Interesting Experience
Customer Service Leader and Book Keeper (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHJanuary 12, 2016
In my time at Hannaford I was able to come to a concrete conclusion about the nature of the store. Although there are many locations that may vary in employee experience due to management, the Concord location provided me with a valuable experience in the "how not's" in employee management. My hard work and dedication to completing my job in an exemplary fashion may have led to promotions, but the promotions revolved strictly around more responsibility for little extra pay. Rather than rewording employees for hard work, managements response to these quality employees was to abuse them for all the work they could exert, rather than rewarding them as an incentive to continue working in this fashion, as well as to motivate others to follow in the footsteps. To conclude, I gained valuable experience in customer service management. This experience was not learning how to manage employees, rather the exact opposite, what not to do in creating an effective and efficient customer service sector.
Pros
Gained Promotional Experience
Cons
Was abused for hard work and dedication to company sucssess
Good job with good people.
OVERNIGHT STOCK CREW CHEIF (Former Employee) –  Waterville, MEOctober 1, 2015
Hannafords was a wonderful place to work a majority of the time that I worked there. Advancement is easy. All you have to do is work hard and look happy to do it. Managers are always wiling to work with their associates to find them what position in the company would be best for them. Full time positions are very limited, but they are always willing to schedule you around your needs. Management is very good to its associates, however, overnight workers tend not to be heard, as they aren't often seen or spoken to.
Pros
Flexible, easy advancement
Cons
Witnessed a lot of favoritism
Good place to Start a job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Latham, NYApril 23, 2016
A typical day at work at Hannafords is standing outside of my lane, Greeting Customers as they come by and ask them if they're ready to check out. If they are, ask them if they found everything that they were looking for, did they have any coupons or reusable bags, did they check their eggs and did they want their meat separate. Management is o.k. for a job like this they worst part of the job is that if it's a slow day, the time drags on, sometimes they forget about you having breaks until like 15-30 mins before your shift finishes. Most of my co-workers are great there, fun to be around and talk to when you can. I've learned to gather more customer service skills and be able to have fun with customers.
Pros
Occasionally free lunches
never get bored.
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NHJuly 25, 2016
We would run the Q, count it, label it, give it to the Rph to check. Answer phones, wait on customers, resolve Insurance problems, call Dr. with questions on rx's. then put orders away, enter orders for the next day, we had what we called a T-schedule (time) that all techs went by and had different positions during the day. So no tech was doing 1 job all day long. We all got along. I did the schedule for the department, a lot of days off, out early, start later type of things. I retired after 32 years happily, and now I need a change.
Pros
Rph's would buy us Chinese food or Pizza when we had an outstanding day
Cons
there was never any food left over!
Not difficult, but boring.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hampton, NHFebruary 22, 2016
Working at Hannaford is not difficult, and I think that might be why I find it so boring. When I first started working there, I enjoyed each day at work and left in high spirits. Fast forward almost a year, and I dread going to work, and when I'm there I cant wait to leave. The reason for this, for me at least, is because there are no challenges, and there is rarely any excitement. I plan to seek a new job that will teach me new skills and continue to challenge me each and every day.
Pros
Nice Co workers, nice management
Cons
Low pay, repetitive, you dont learn anything after a few months, not challenging

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hannaford. Our community is ready to answer.