Hannaford Employee Reviews in United States

Great company to work for, positive work environment, healthcare, and they care about their employees
Customer Service Associate. Grocery associate (Former Employee) –  Enosburg Falls, VTJuly 17, 2016
Hannaford was a great company to work for, I was there during high school and they worked with my schedule very well with school and sports. A typical day at work, I would after school, go change and punch in, usually my first task of my shift would be to check all of the quick seller items. The milk, gallons of water, eggs, and bread. Once stocking those items I would move onto dairy repacks, on Monday Wednesday and Friday, there would be a truck arriving and I would be unloading the truck, after unloading the truck I would break down every single pallet and put them on certain carts for each isle just so the night crew had it a little easier. I learned a lot while working at hannaford, I learned how to be a people person, how deal with rude and angry customers, I learned how to do everyone's job around me.my coworkers were pretty great we were all about the same age and all friends with eachother so therefore everyone worked really well with eachother. The hardest part of my job was when I would show up to work and the higher up sent down a new shelf arrangement, and my bosses would be staring at it, then when they saw me they would hand it to me and walk off to go do something else, doing everyone else's job and not getting the recognition for it was the hardest part hence why I left the store at the start of my senior year of high school, the most enjoyable part of the job was the people, my coworkers were phenomenal and I enjoyed working with every one of them.
Pros
They worked with my school and sports schedule very well.
Cons
They would only give me 7.5 hours after school instead of the full 8
great place to work
Service Leader (Former Employee) –  Claremont, NHJuly 13, 2016
Great first time job for employees, everybody is willing to help you if you need assistance for anything, always busy,
Pros
room for advancement
Cons
nothing gets done about harrassment
very fun clean warm and welcoming place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJuly 12, 2016
a very well organized company, trained well. workers are all friendly and easy to work with! team work is huge and as a team we accomplish all tasks needed to fulfill our job and serve customers to the best of our ability, but i would like something new.
Pros
nothing
Cons
short breaks.
Fun working environment
Front End Service Leader (Current Employee) –  East Hampstead, NHJuly 11, 2016
great staff to work with. I have learned how to effective manage a small group of people in order to help the business grow. Management always helps when needed. Hardest part to the remain calm when a busy rush comes in. I love working with everyone.
Great place to work!
Produce Associate (Current Employee) –  Exeter, NHJuly 7, 2016
Very fun and upbeat place to work! Everyone is extremely friendly and the store is busy enough to make the time fly by. Everyone works really well together and there is always enough to be done that you stay busy.
productive
Overnite Associate (Former Employee) –  Saugus, MAJune 29, 2016
good company great if u like to work with customer service and u also have the ability to move up quickly. They offer competitive pay and the management team is very attentive to your needs
Pros
free lunch/dinner
Cons
medical insurance
Fun place to work
Produce Associate (Current Employee) –  Brattleboro, VTJune 29, 2016
Working produce at Hannafords is enjoyable work. It contains a variety of tasks and and is populated with friendly associates. It's quite possibly one of the best minimum wage jobs that exist.
Pros
Multiple breaks, good environment, interesting work
Cons
Low pay
Excellent place to work, where employees work together as a team and family.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Clinton, MA 01510June 29, 2016
I loved working at Hannafords. All of my coworkers worked together as a team to get the job done. My managers were kind an understanding, and wonderful teachers. It was a pleasure to work with a bunch of hardworking individuals. During my time at Hannafords I learned great customer service skills, and I've become great at multitasking.
Great work place culture, friendly people and helpful management
Front-End Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bangor, ME 04401June 29, 2016
On a daily basis i would assist customers with their groceries and ring up their items in a timely fashion while keeping the customer happy and try to make sure they leave with a smile.
Great People, Flexible Job
Part tim Cashier (Current Employee) –  Uxbridge, MAJune 27, 2016
I work part-time at the front end. I'm currently in college but started working there in high school. Awesome managers, great owner, and friendly people to work with. Super flexible making it perfect for a student at any level. I played 3 sports and was involved in many clubs while also working during my high school years here.
Great Community
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHJune 24, 2016
While I did not like the scheduling and working weekends, I miss this job a lot. The people are great and the customers are great too.
Pros
meet great friends, friendly management, free snacks in the break room
Cons
poor scheduling, work weekends
Fun job
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clifton Park, NY 12065June 24, 2016
It was fun learning new things, my co-workers were pretty awesome to work with. The hardest part of the job was meeting our customers' demands in timely manner. The most enjoyable part of this job is to give little kids free cookies and see the smile on their face.
A good company depending on your position, not so great if you're part of night crew
Assistant Stock Crew Manager (Former Employee) –  Bridgton, MEJune 16, 2016
Before joining Hannaford, I worked for another major New England supermarket chain where I received awards, recognition, and a good working relationship with managers and co-workers. 10 years to be exact, before moving on to take on other positions with other companies for a few years to broaden my skills. After being downsized, I applied to work for Hannaford because I thought it was the perfect fit for my experience and be a fresh start. I was proven wrong, bigtime.

It could have been the particular store I worked in, but it seemed like Night Crew was always treated like second class, whether it was from management or other co-workers.

Here's the Summary-
PRODUCTIVITY: You and your crew are measured by how many cases you can stock per hour. Each night a report is prepared to show how many cases are coming on delivery (if it is a designated delivery night). It also shows labor hours in comparison to workload. Some nights you would have a surplus on labor hours, therefore more tasks above and beyond were expected to get done. The expected amount of cases per hour to get stocked is realistic, this is where it ends. Everyone on the crew also has other tasks to do, such as throwing out trash/cardboard, organizing dunnage, cleaning up aisles once done, etc. the time given to do those tasks is not given. It was also expected that we "block" the store after working all freight, this is when we pull items forward on shelf and labels out so it makes the store look great for customers. It's able to be done, but the assigned fixed time is ridiculously low. So when everyone is
  more... finished, we fill out R/E sheets to show a percentage of productivity effectiveness. Almost everyone is unable to meet the required percentage rate because various tasks take longer that what is expected by management. Everyone, including myself always tried the best they could each night to meet their goals, but always fell short. Managers would come in when the store opened and either I or the Stock Crew Manager would have to give a report on what was accomplished. Very rarely was management satisfied, even if all freight was worked and the store looked great. An example would be "We had extra time to do 2 repack carts" - Their response would be "Given the time you guys should have done 4 repack carts". If your crew did 6, they'd expect 8, and so on. We were constantly labeled as "inefficient" and "not meeting expectations".

CO-WORKERS: Most everyone on the crew was pleasant to work with, we treated others with respect. Some of the part-time help was no help at all and gave awful attitude if you even gave the simplest task to do or give a helpful tip. There were some co-workers, particularly a few that came in early in the morning that worked in other departments were very arrogant, rude beyond belief, and clearly suffered anger management issues. There was always childish drama pointed at me or my crew if we didn't answer the front door quick enough (sometimes we're very busy at the moment, like receiving a truck out back, so be patient, calm down and don't lose your temper at me). The same people were always looking to point out trivial mistakes that you do when it isn't their business or obligation to do so. There were also people who would go to the HR manager and exaggerate concerns.

MANAGEMENT: Reading other reviews I see favoritism is a problem at other stores and it isn't any different here. If you're part of the clique you will never get written up or coached on your mistakes. I myself have made a few errors here and there that didn't cause significant monetary/business loss (i'm human). Because I wasn't "In" with certain managers I would get written up and others would get a free pass for the same exact thing. An example of this would be if I left a empty shopping cart in the aisle, I would get a write up. Sometimes I would come in for my shift and the Closing Manager would do the same, except it would be filled with cardboard/trash and it would be perfectly fine. Night Crew was always getting blamed for equipment such as the powered pallet jack breaking down when it didn't even happen on our watch. Another thing I would hear after every sentence from managers is: "Does that make sense?". Yes, I can comprehend. Sometimes I felt like I was back in 1st grade on a hooked on phonics lesson the way I would get talked to.

COACHING: Every miniscule mistake, you would get a write-up or a culmination of instances would lead to one. This could be anything from forgetting to put a broom back to accidently taking the overnight keys home after a long night and forgetting they were in your pocket. I even got a write up because the receiver didn't think the dairy cooler floor was dry enough after hosing down the milk racks. If any of my subordinates did little errors (they're human too) I was expected to write them up too. The result is that my employee file looks like a rap sheet. I felt like this was a waste of time and only was in place to validate the jobs of management above me. They wouldn't have jobs because so much of their time is spent criticizing instead of actually helping.

COMPANY EFFICIENCY/TECHNOLOGY: An computerized ordering system that automatically orders products that aren't needed. The result is a lot of wasted time going through high amounts of repack and profit loss through shrink. Would be better off to have a full time dedicated inventory manager for each store, like it was during the old days.

PAY/BENEFITS: Low pay commensurate to the workload/responsibility. Benefits, time off with pay was reasonable, including sick time. Any unused sick time was paid out at end of year.

CAREER ADVANCEMENT: None such possibility. It is preached, but after working at this store for nearly 2 years, I was denied a transfer to another store for a good opportunity. I was denied due to one manager's sole opinion and his concern was only for himself.

In closing, I decided to leave my job. I felt like I was getting used and not valued to our Night Crew operations. I wasn't going to waste anymore of my time. I was always told that Night Crew is the most important team in the store due to the amount of inventory we handle. When it came time to need help from Store Managers, they were never there to fulfill that promise, only be unsatisfied with what we did accomplish.
Pros
Time off w/pay, benefits
Cons
Management, Favortism, High Pressure/Negative Envronment
Fast paced, yet laid back environment.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Farmington, MaineJune 16, 2016
The biggest issue I have is with scheduling. Not just with the shifts.
At Hannaford, carts go out faster than they come in. Most of the time, the shift leaders do not take the time to notice that there are no carts available to the customers, which leaves one unfortunate employee to scramble to collect enough carts to use. Also, the shift leaders are biased on who they send on carts. They usually send the youngest people outside. If someone is employed at this type of a company that is slightly older, they should be capable of performing every task that their fellow co-workers have to do. They shouldn't be left with the easiest part of the job while everyone else does the hard labor in the hot sun or freezing conditions.

Also, the shift scheduling. I have had several occasions where I've been scheduled during a college class that I clearly had requested off 6 months prior. It was a hassle to have to cover my own shift that I had fairly requested off with more than the a week's notice. It was very unfair to have to choose between either missing a three-hour lecture, or lose hours for the week.
Pros
Great management.
Cons
Scheduling issues are a hassle.
An ok job with friendly people and flexible hours
Center Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Milton, VTJune 15, 2016
A typical day at work for me is mostly just stocking shelves and making sure they look nice for the customers. I didn't really learn any new skills there, but I did learn to be more of a people person. Management for the most part was friendly and understanding. Co-workers were also nice, with a few exceptions of those not willing to work. The hardest part was the job just being mundane, while the most enjoyable was being able to manage yourself.
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
lots of time spent on your knees
Cons of Hanford
Customer Service Leader (Current Employee) –  Middletown, NYJune 10, 2016
When I first started at Hannaford, I thought that I would really enjoy working here because I enjoyed working at another grocery store so much. But I was very wrong. The management is extremely harsh and judgmental. They will look for anything to suspend you for.
A great place
Cashier/Front End Associate (Current Employee) –  Lunenburg, MAJune 8, 2016
The people are great, when they say you are part of the Hannafords family they mean it. it can be hard to keep smiling when a customer is rude, but it is important to not take it personally.
Pros
Great, fun people you work with
Cons
hard to get hours
Good Work Environment
Full time Deli Service Leader (Former Employee) –  Camden, MEJune 8, 2016
Everything was pretty simple. I loved working with my co-workers. I would always make sure every customer has a smile on their face. I never really had a hard time.
Pros
fun work environment
Cons
lazy people
Working at Hannafords.
Cashier, shift leader and office help. (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, VTJune 8, 2016
Hannaford wasn't a bad place to work. The people I worked with were very friendly and helpful when I first started. Their teaching program was very useful because I am more a hands on person. I like to see it done once and then I pretty much have that in my head. I need to have some one train me and then I need to work it out by myself. Then I get what I am suppose to do.
Pros
We did get uniforms from the company.
Cons
We paid for our own lunches.
Amazing place to work!
Front End Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterville, MEJune 7, 2016
Amazing company to work for! There is not one single thing that I would or could ever complain about! Managers are incredible! Co workers are just coworkers. for a first job, Hannaford is a perfect place! You move up quickly if you do your job right.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hannaford. Our community is ready to answer.