Hannaford Employee Reviews

work place
Cashier/Cumtomer Service/Service Clerk (Former Employee), Schenectady, NYJuly 1, 2015
It was fun most of the time but is a store and things had to get done
we had fun time like family picnics and they had were we can use are card to the great Escape discount the store is always clean
Much public interaction and human skills required; advancement potential
Manager of Customer Service (Former Employee), Falmouth, MEJune 25, 2015
Pros: Manager outings, annual bonuses for salaried managers
Cons: Expensive and poor quality health insurance; often large periods of time required for advancement
Hannaford possesses management that generally practices professionalism in their interactions with subordinates. The management team does have a more laissez-faire attitude with peers, which can lead to a more balanced work day. Compensation is average for the industry; neither the best or the worst (Save a Lot usually rated lowest, Whole Foods usually rated best in my research). Advancement potential is there, but like most retail operations, competition is stiff as the labor pool is large. This can lead to frustration for many as there are often fewer positions available than there are well qualified candidates. This can lead to stagnation and lower morale. Overall, I rate Hannaford as a better-than-average company for whom to work.
Good place to work for
Cashier/ Deli Associate (Former Employee), East Greenbush, NYJune 25, 2015
This job was okay depending on which department you work for. Cashiering wasn't that good, but deli was fun. I would fill in for meat department once in a while and that was fun too. Scan file is kind of fun, average difficulty but its tedious though.
Fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Cashier/ Customer ServiceJune 22, 2015
Hanaford is a great first job for young adults still in high school. They are great with having flexible hours and schedules.
Good Place to work
Customer Service Leader (Former Employee), Rockland, MEJune 17, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: None
Managed full service deli in large grocery store.
Helping customers, great coworkers.
A great place to work and meet people
Deli Associate (Current Employee), Colonie, NYJune 16, 2015
worked here for over 4 years and was promised an advancement into management and in pay and never got it.I would not recommend working for this company,
Supervisor (Current Employee), Albany, NYJune 12, 2015
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
I most enjoy the customer interaction at hannaford and my other associates. Management, however, could be a better job of recognizing hard workers. I don't feel that the associates make enough money for what they do.
flexibility
Cake Decorator (Current Employee), Riverside, Portland, MEMay 28, 2015
Pros: Friendly environment, regular customers
Cons: minimal raises, excessive silly rules
Hannaford is a great company to work for if you have a second job. They truly are flexible with your hours and accommodating days off.
A typical day consists of regularly scheduled breaks and general corporate company rule following.
Management is generally friendly, though outliers exist in any environment.
Co-workers are generally helpful, though the above applies here too.
The hardest part of the job is the feeling of being considered only as a number to the company. If your manager is a good manager they will keep morale up, but it takes a toll.
The most enjoyable part of the job is making the customer who ordered a special cake that I designed beam with appreciation when the cake is revealed. That makes your day.
Repetitive work day with little contrast
Front-End Associate (Former Employee), Belfast, MEMay 20, 2015
A typical day at Hannaford included ringing up groceries at both express and regular registers and cleaning the registers during slow periods. Sometimes I worked in the service desk where I was responsible for taking calls and directing them to the appropriate person, orders for balloons and carpet cleaners, Western Union transactions, and handling product returns. I learned how to multi-task, as well as the art of customer service. This included not only dealing with customers who were rude for seemingly no reason, but also trying to turn their day around with kindness. The more ill-mannered a customer got, the bigger I tried to make my smile, though difficult to do. Generally it was easy to smile with my coworkers around, who made the workday much more enjoyable. They were one of my favorite parts of the job and I met many people who worked there that I still keep in contact with. The hardest part of the job was probably keeping myself engaged. While it was definitely easier with some customers, most of the time it was difficult to not let the monotony of the job get to me. After being there for three years, I felt that I needed to move on to something with more variation.
Hannaford is an enjoyable company to work for.
Assistant Bakery Manager (Current Employee), Londonderry, NHMay 9, 2015
No two days are ever the same at Hannaford! An exciting retail environment with associates that are fun to work with. Love working with customers and sharing ideas. Retail is hard work, but provides a rewarding experience.
Challenging atmosphere but rewarding
Produce Manager (Current Employee), Troy, NYMay 8, 2015
Hannaford is a great place to work. It is challenging at times but it is also very rewarding once you are able to get the hang of daily operations and what your upper management expects from you.
Great place to work. Great company standards.
Seafood Dept. Manager (Former Employee), Niskayuna, NYApril 27, 2015
Great associate teams right up to management. Fun days @ Hannaford. Many job duties in the seafood department with customer service, product knowledge & sanitation being the keys to success.
Great job for high schoolers or young adults to prepare them for the work field.
Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee), Essex Junction, VTApril 16, 2015
Working as customer service was a great way to prepare me for working in the hospital. Hannaford has great policies and is really kind to their employees. Great opportunity for students to work and earn a little income.
Poor pay, hours, and culture
Center Store Associate (Former Employee), Queensbury, NYApril 13, 2015
Pros: easy work
Cons: bad hours, no full time for new-hires
The job is great for someone who needs a job, at a time when there are no jobs.

There's no real chance for advancement, and, those who do have better pay/positions, don't really seem to appreciate how well-off they are. This perceived aloofness, by the average worker, on the floor, creates an aura of complacency.

Work ethic does not radiate from the base, and inspiration does not percolate from the top - there's a feeling of stagnation.
Great Place To Work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Greenwich, NYApril 12, 2015
Pros: Educational leave, company mandatory 15 minute breaks every 2.5 hours
Cons: little to no benefits unless full time
The typical day at work depends on how busy it is and what day of the week it is. I learned a lot from this job, the biggest thing that I learned would probably be how to not show that you are having a bad day in a customer service setting. The management of the store will come down to the sales floor and check out customers just like any of the cashiers. Overall the management doesn't think that they are better than the lower workers. The co-workers there are easy to get along with and very friendly. The hardest part of the job would probably be standing for long periods of time and dealing with troublesome customers. But on the flip side of things its the customers and friendly co-workers who make me want to come back to work day after day.
I LOVE Hannaford
Customer Service Leader (Former Employee), Kennebunk, MEApril 7, 2015
Pros: Wonderful company, good hours
I loved working for Hannaford. I was always happy going into work, They treat their employees very well. I learned leadership and much more. Management was amazing and helped with life problems as well. Co-workers were awesome to work with.
Job can range from basic part time to full time management advancement
Overnight stock crew (Former Employee), Sanford, MEApril 1, 2015
Pros: Various positions, flexible hours, advancement
Cons: Management frequently changes, most jobs routine
I simply worked the overnight stock position. As a job itself, it was ok and straightforward. However, Hannaford does offer career advancement for those interested. Thus, this job can be as basic as you want it, or can lead to new careers.
N/A
Cashier/Bagger/Runner (Former Employee), Taunton, MAMarch 23, 2015
Wonderful experience all over, Great customer service experience, great Coworker relations and same with management.
Not good managers
Assistant Deli Manager (Former Employee), Duanesburg, NYMarch 23, 2015
Pros: good pay flexible with schedule
Cons: depends on which store you work in some managers do not respect the older generation
Told your going to be trained to advance in company and then it never occurs. In beginning of service with the company things were fine.
Its a fun place to work with a lot of learning
Deli/Bakery Associate (Current Employee), Duanesburg, NYMarch 17, 2015
Pros: The people
Cons: Drama
Working at Hannaford has been great and full of learning. Its a great place to work and have fun at your job. Working with Hannaford I was able to learn how to do the orders so we get product in. My co-workers are fun to work with but there tends to be a lot of drama.

1 2 3 4 5

About Hannaford

Hannaford Bros. may have started as a fruit and vegetable stand in 1883, but it has expanded from its Maine roots to become an – Read more

Hannaford Salaries