Hannaford Employee Reviews in United States

Fast paced work environment
Front End Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterville, MEFebruary 27, 2016
While I enjoy my time at Hannaford's its a job vert limited by nature. There's little to no chances to move up in the career ladder and full-time positions are nearly impossible to come by. Unstable work hours and little to no raises leave me wanting more from my job.

Many of the people who work here are students, ranging from high school to college, with several older associates mixed in. There's no delegation between age groups(i.e. younger associates also have changes to achieve leadership positions just as older, more experienced associates).

The most enjoyable part of the job is the customer service. Handling and dealing with individual customers with the chance to improve their day, mood, opinion on the store or even their life is what keeps me from leaving right away. Unforunately we're still very limited in assisting customers in a more hands on way by the regulations and rules of the business.
Pros
Fair breaks and lunches, excellent customer service interation
Cons
Very limited raises, strict regulations, unstable hours, little to no job stability, few holidays
No work advancement
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Milford, MAMarch 26, 2016
I worked there for almost ten years no work advancement. Management only cares for themselves. Employees were nice but very mistreated by management. I would not recommend. No acknowledge for good accomplishments. The hardest part of the job is being held responsible for things you have no control over and having to act as supervisor and manager when management is not ready available. Cart retrieval was the best part of this job.
Pros
The employees
Cons
Mistreatment by management, under paid, short breaks
Wasn't too bad for my first job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hudson, MAJanuary 23, 2016
A typical work day would depend on what time of the day you would come in for your shift. If you opened the department you would be there getting everything set up for the day. You would deal with all the customers usually and provide the best customer service that you could, even with the customer being a jerk over nothing. Management went downhill really fast when they kept bringing in new managers for the department. I actually got fired because my new manager didn't like me, didn't give me any hours, told HR department that I have failed to contact him and I abandoned my job.
Great job. Great career opportunity
Manager Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Delmar, NYDecember 23, 2015
Great place to start a retail career. Work hard and advancement will be offered to you. Salary positions in the stores often require 50-70 hours per week.
Cons
Changing company ownership has changed culture
Interesting Experience
Customer Service Leader and Book Keeper (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHJanuary 12, 2016
In my time at Hannaford I was able to come to a concrete conclusion about the nature of the store. Although there are many locations that may vary in employee experience due to management, the Concord location provided me with a valuable experience in the "how not's" in employee management. My hard work and dedication to completing my job in an exemplary fashion may have led to promotions, but the promotions revolved strictly around more responsibility for little extra pay. Rather than rewording employees for hard work, managements response to these quality employees was to abuse them for all the work they could exert, rather than rewarding them as an incentive to continue working in this fashion, as well as to motivate others to follow in the footsteps. To conclude, I gained valuable experience in customer service management. This experience was not learning how to manage employees, rather the exact opposite, what not to do in creating an effective and efficient customer service sector.
Pros
Gained Promotional Experience
Cons
Was abused for hard work and dedication to company sucssess
Good job with good people.
OVERNIGHT STOCK CREW CHEIF (Former Employee) –  Waterville, MEOctober 1, 2015
Hannafords was a wonderful place to work a majority of the time that I worked there. Advancement is easy. All you have to do is work hard and look happy to do it. Managers are always wiling to work with their associates to find them what position in the company would be best for them. Full time positions are very limited, but they are always willing to schedule you around your needs. Management is very good to its associates, however, overnight workers tend not to be heard, as they aren't often seen or spoken to.
Pros
Flexible, easy advancement
Cons
Witnessed a lot of favoritism
Average place to work, good 1st job
Front End (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NHJanuary 23, 2016
Typical day is going to work and cashing out customers, help bag and then pushing carts. Pretty straight forward job. Management is hit or miss (sometimes they don't get that people who work there are just high school kids saving up $ and this isn't their career)
Pros
Good 1st job, nothing to hard
Cons
Bad Hours, No Advancement for a while
Management and associates worked well togather
Porduce Associate (Former Employee) –  Wells, MEDecember 17, 2015
Management and associates worked well togather to meet common goal of good customer service.

Management rewarded performance with financial benefits when warranted.

Continuous training on customer service was mandatory for all managers and associates.

In depth training of department products was provided prior to working on the floor.
Pros
Scheduling of work hours was done in a collaborate manner with associate.
Fun place to work
Cashier and Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Saint Albans, VTFebruary 18, 2016
Co-workers are extremely friendly and there is plenty of ability to advance, but management is a bit poor, and benefits are lacking.
Pros
Extremely flexible towards scheduling, free lunches on occasion
Cons
Unfriendly management in some departments, benefits aren't provided with employment.
great place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New HampshireMarch 18, 2016
Its a good company to work for. people are nice and you get benefits. there is opportunity for advancement. Company that you can work for for years.

Want to know more about Hannaford?

Ask a question
Easy work, flexible hours, calm environment
Front End Associate (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHJanuary 4, 2016
The part time job at Hannaford is better than most, shifts are easily traded, given away, and acquired. This sets them apart from most other, more demanding and less employed companies.
Pros
paid break, simple tasks, not too much heat from management
Cons
no benefits for part time, salary progression is very slow.
Not difficult, but boring.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hampton, NHFebruary 22, 2016
Working at Hannaford is not difficult, and I think that might be why I find it so boring. When I first started working there, I enjoyed each day at work and left in high spirits. Fast forward almost a year, and I dread going to work, and when I'm there I cant wait to leave. The reason for this, for me at least, is because there are no challenges, and there is rarely any excitement. I plan to seek a new job that will teach me new skills and continue to challenge me each and every day.
Pros
Nice Co workers, nice management
Cons
Low pay, repetitive, you dont learn anything after a few months, not challenging
A supportive and productive place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NYSeptember 10, 2015
Enjoyable work with multiple tasks to make the work experience more interesting.

Supportive and available management that cares about the work environment and growth of the associates.

Friendly environment but very professional.

Management is supportive and encourages personal and professional growth and there are always opportunities for advancement.

The most enjoyable part of the job by far is the interaction with customers. The hardest part is when technology fails, i.e. the register scales don't work, etc.
Pros
Various tasks keep work from being monotonous
Cons
Only 3 days notice of next week's schedule makes it hard to plan personal activities for days off.
Excellent place to work for a first job
Center Store Associate/Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHFebruary 25, 2016
The typical day is that of normal work for a center store associate. Stocking shelves, interacting with customers and making sure customers needs are met. I learned from this job effective ways to communicate with people and I was able to further my development into the workforce. Management is very willing and accessible to talk to. The management is there for the customers needs as well as my own, by that I mean able to ask questions and there would be an answer to it. My co - workers were awesome and very team oriented. The one thing that is hard with an entry job like this one is all of the younger people that are still in high school and this is their first job. Once they get past that point it isn't that much of a hassle. The hardest part of the job is the customer service and the most enjoyable part is the customer service. The reason why it is both is from the interactions that happen with customers. When it goes bad and there isn't anything thing that I can do for them and have to say "I'm sorry but we don't have that particular product..." it makes me feel bad because we were not able to help out the customer. It is enjoyable when the customer asks for a product and they find it, that is good for me because it helps reassure that I do know what I am doing for my job. I would also like to add on about the enjoyable part is that advancement opportunity is very readily available in the form of responsibilities.
Pros
Ability to know product and price
Cons
Customers can be very negative
Much public interaction and human skills required; advancement potential
Manager of Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Falmouth, MEJune 25, 2015
Hannaford possesses management that generally practices professionalism in their interactions with subordinates. The management team does have a more laissez-faire attitude with peers, which can lead to a more balanced work day. Compensation is average for the industry; neither the best or the worst (Save a Lot usually rated lowest, Whole Foods usually rated best in my research). Advancement potential is there, but like most retail operations, competition is stiff as the labor pool is large. This can lead to frustration for many as there are often fewer positions available than there are well qualified candidates. This can lead to stagnation and lower morale. Overall, I rate Hannaford as a better-than-average company for whom to work.
Pros
Manager outings, annual bonuses for salaried managers
Cons
Expensive and poor quality health insurance; often large periods of time required for advancement
Good Experience
Center Store Assistant Clerk (Current Employee) –  Greenwich, NYMarch 2, 2016
The management team at Hannaford is very professional and organized. Tasks can differ within the hour and always seem to be getting done. I have learned the logistics behind man power and task management. The most enjoyable part of the job is the positive attitude that is created from the higher ups in the company and works its way down. The peers of mine at Hannaford are all very professional and personable.
Pros
Free food on Occasion
Cons
Inconsistent Work Schedule
Good place to work but management was very rude
Grocery Store Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Yarmouth, MEDecember 10, 2015
I enjoyed working there and was starting to work my way to a higher position but I was lied to about a raise and I had my hours randomly dropped some weeks without warning to "save money"
Pros
nice people
Cons
not treated like a person
flexibility
Cake Decorator (Current Employee) –  Riverside, Portland, MEMay 28, 2015
Hannaford is a great company to work for if you have a second job. They truly are flexible with your hours and accommodating days off.
A typical day consists of regularly scheduled breaks and general corporate company rule following.
Management is generally friendly, though outliers exist in any environment.
Co-workers are generally helpful, though the above applies here too.
The hardest part of the job is the feeling of being considered only as a number to the company. If your manager is a good manager they will keep morale up, but it takes a toll.
The most enjoyable part of the job is making the customer who ordered a special cake that I designed beam with appreciation when the cake is revealed. That makes your day.
Pros
Friendly environment, regular customers
Cons
minimal raises, excessive silly rules
This was a fast-paced job that required a lot of attention to detail.
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Topsham, MEFebruary 27, 2016
This was one of the best places I have ever worked. I liked most of the people that I worked with and I felt like most of the management really cared about me as a person. I loved how fast-paced this work environment was, I like to keep busy. I also enjoyed the wide variety of customers that I was able to interact with on a daily basis.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
mandatory breaks
A fun, great place to work
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Amsterdam, NYAugust 14, 2015
This is a fun place to work. Great people, both on management and entry level, good benefits including a 401k plan, insurance as well as paid vacation time. They have a plan for those interested in taking it to the next level and are open to people working in multiple departments. As a bonus, there are often treats in the breakroom from ice cream to hot dogs as well as the occasional drawing or potluck. For those looking to help with charity, they offer the option to donate a portion of your paycheck to The United Way as well as another to help fellow associates in need should they fall on hard times.