Hannaford Employee Reviews

Pay/benefits were good, everything else was terrible
Assistant Overnight Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NHDecember 31, 2012
The work environment is poor and there are times when one can't understand how some of the workers a) were hired and b) have kept their jobs. But these are merely symptoms of the disease. Management is at the heart of this problem.

In terms of corporate-level management, employees are viewed not as resources or assets, but obstacles in the way of profit. The policies handed down seem arbitrary, and woe unto the person that draws any amount of overtime.

At the store level, the managers' primary job seems to be preventing themselves from getting in trouble with the District Managers and Regional VP. They are ruled by fear, and so they in turn rule by fear. The sole motivation of the employees in fear of the write-up. Room to grow with the company has been eliminated. They now take the Gilded Age approach of hiring from the outside, grinding everyone into the ground and then replacing them. Managers are insulting and flippant in their tone. As a result, the workers morale is through the floor.

Before the Belgians took over, it was a good place to work. Now there is literally no reason to work there. The only good things I can say about the place was that the pay/benefits were good and the commute was easy. That's all I can think of.

Cons: Lazy, unmotivated co-workers, who don't hesitate for a second to talk back to you, ignorant, arrogant management who do not understand how to run a grocery store, no-training (no joke; there were whole aspects of my job that were never went over with me), but still expect you to do things you were never trained to do, out of control neptotism
  more... to the point where it harmed the store, no help from management/management sabotage (deliberately giving you bad instructions to follow to insure you failed at your job), more time spent complaining about work not getting done than just shutting-up and doing work, out of control ordering that made load sizes way above what they were suppose to be (who do they think they are, Market Basket?), load sizes that are so big that they can't possibly fit in the backroom given, (but hey, if they actually ordered correctly, the stuff should fit in fine), why are the load sizes the same size as they were this time last year despite the fact the store sales are down 10% year-over-year?, constant changing of expectations/priorities, constantly understaffed, every procedure is timed, but the times given aren't realistic and if you can't do the procedures in the given, unrealistic, time allotted, you can get fired, selective accountability, grocery department consisted of seven different departments working against each other, management that spoke badly of the night crew in front of the day crew given them added incentive to mess with the night crew, management giving day crew instructions that would make the night crew's job harder to do, lack of u-boats or any other type of equipment to help get product to salesfloor, not enough people certified to use powerjacks/forklifts, even in a "supervisory" role, I was not allowed to deligate work, "work plans" that were made by management the day before and don't take into account if loads arrive late/sick calls, etc. that may affect said plan, completely incomprehensible vacation time system, time not given to clean up backroom, but if the backroom isn't cleaned up, you get disciplined, refrigeration system that fails too often, inconsistent load arrival times, whole days where no one for the grocery department would be scheduled(other than night crew), inconsistent load sizes (again, ordering), mangement who spoke of "standards" (anyone who has worked here would know what I'm talking about), but don't follow such standards when stocking (strange how the rules don't seem to apply to them now does it?), front end associates being brought in to work in grocery department during the day with no supervision, no supervision in the backroom at all during the day, grocery items being intentionally dissorganized in order to "free-up" rooom out back, jobs combined that don't make sense together (the receiver doubled as the guy who filled ice cream for example), a manager of non-foods in a grocery store, but no assistant grocery manager? really?, managers who didn't even know where items went in their own department(no, ice tea does not go in the same aisle as the water, try again), glorified office workers doubling as management, associates who have an inflated, overly high opinion of themselves, disscontinued items intentionally being put on repack because corporate won't take them back, but they also can't go out on the salesfloor, so why put them on repack? it just creates more work, inconsistent expectations for associates and how fast they should be working (for some associates, its acceptable to stock shelves like an old lady, for others, throwing stuff on the shelves like a mad man is unacceptable), over reliance on "RE Sheets" to determine how much work should be done, over reliance on write-ups and other paperwork in order to get people fired/demoted ("if it didn't get written down, it didn't happen"), lack of communication between day/night crew, over reliance on useless, non-hands on, time consuming, computer training in order to "complete" training of associates, (like knowing the sexual harrassment policy is suppose to make you a better worker?), managment never really knowing what work has gotten done and what needs to be done even if you have all ready explained it to them (and it really only takes two minutes to figure it out themselves, but they still don't take the time to do it), management spending too much time in offices/cubicles instead of out in the aisles getting their "hands dirty" (if they ever have to, they usually complain) management whining about having to deal with customers (you're in retail, what do you expect?), management whining in general, management not taking enough time to get to know you or your background, mailing termination papers to wrong address, having to request that I be payed for a payed vacation, being told that I may not be payed for my payed vacation, having to do work for managers when they're too lazy to do it themselves even though I all ready have enough to do, pallets that come off trucks way too dissorganized and take forever to "sort," designated "sorting area" was too small even by company standards making "breaking down/sorting" pallets a nightmare, trucks that leave after trailer is unloaded and take trailer with them, instead of "dropping" trailer in order to use as extra storage, store manager who blatantly ignored my doctor's orders for me not work and told me to work any way, then being told by another manager that the doctor's note said I was "pretty much cleared to work at 100%" (are we even talking about the same doctor's note?) being told that I'm not getting enough done despite the fact I'm injured, complete with papers being thrown at me (apparently the managers here double as doctors), being written up for not reporting an injury where I tripped over a u-boat with no end-rail, because they needed to be made aware of why it happened, so they could prevent another injury from happening, but yet, when I come in later that night, there's u-boats with no end-rails on them (glad they took that so seriously) and no accomedations were made for me as it related to my injury (I couldn't bend my knees, but yet they expect me to scale a pile of plastic pallets in order to open a door?), mangement who accuses you of doing things you didn't do with no proof just becase in their mind, it sounds reasonable that you would do something like that (that's all the proof you need at Hannaford), signing write-ups that are filled with out right lies and conjecture by the party doing the write-up (while the offense may warrant a write-up, added details such as your motivations for doing such an offense are completey fabricated) expecting associates with obvious physical/mental limitations to do work that they are not capable of doing, "low spots" or "holes" not being top priority, but instead the priorities are arbitrary such as "whatever aisle has the most re-pack" or "whatever aisles sells the most stuff," no associates scheduled to block aisles or work re-pack during the day (that's the night crew's job), if something needs to be done, but is not a task you "earn time for" on your "RE Sheet", associates/managers will just not do it, if something needs to be done, but its not something that your part of the grocery department is "suppose" to do, associates/management just won't do it, told to call "trucking" whenever a load arrives exceptionally late, but never given an answer other than "its on its way."

Did I leave anything out?
Pros
easy commute, pay was good, good amount of vacation time (though, i never understood how the system worked)
Cons
see review (there's so many that they didn't fit into this box)

Comment – February 28, 2013

do they drug test u there ???

Comment – August 25, 2013

Nope. No drug testing.

Productive environment
Center Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Hooksett, NHJanuary 26, 2013
A typical day would be me starting my day at 6 am and receiving the dairy load. I would sort out the load based on where the items belong in the aisle, then stock the dairy items to the shelf. This would take a few hours, and I would also keep track of the eggs and milk to make sure they do not run out. This has taught me time management because I need to be able to put up an entire dairy load in eight hours of less, while maintaing eggs and milk. The management depends on what store I work at, and for the most part they are pretty good at giving a helping hand if needed. At one of the stores that I worked at, my manager was very unorganized and would start to many projects at one time and struggled to finish them. I did not approve of his managing skills because he would often get upset and take it out on their employees. The employees that I worked with are all nice, easy going people. They made the job enjoyable to go to everyday because they gave me someone to talk to and joke around with. The hardest part of the job was to get the entire dairy load up on certain days when the load was larger than normal. The most enjoyable part is working with my co-workers because if it was not for them I would get very bored and it would make the days drag on.
Pros
food in the break room, often made lunch for us
Cons
pay
Repetitive work day with little contrast
Front-End Associate (Former Employee) –  Belfast, MEMay 20, 2015
A typical day at Hannaford included ringing up groceries at both express and regular registers and cleaning the registers during slow periods. Sometimes I worked in the service desk where I was responsible for taking calls and directing them to the appropriate person, orders for balloons and carpet cleaners, Western Union transactions, and handling product returns. I learned how to multi-task, as well as the art of customer service. This included not only dealing with customers who were rude for seemingly no reason, but also trying to turn their day around with kindness. The more ill-mannered a customer got, the bigger I tried to make my smile, though difficult to do. Generally it was easy to smile with my coworkers around, who made the workday much more enjoyable. They were one of my favorite parts of the job and I met many people who worked there that I still keep in contact with. The hardest part of the job was probably keeping myself engaged. While it was definitely easier with some customers, most of the time it was difficult to not let the monotony of the job get to me. After being there for three years, I felt that I needed to move on to something with more variation.
Good job for stoners and wannabe managers that couldn't do anything else in life
EOM (Former Employee) –  MaineFebruary 18, 2013
Worst store and divisional leadership I have ever witnessed in over 25 years in the work force. My store manager was pathetic and coached me to "kiss butt" in order to advance. I came in as an Evening Operations Manager Trainee without a lick of retail experience. It was an easy job but they treated it like it was supposed to be rocket science. I worked in two different stores and they were so different in every way. This is after I was taught "standards"...they preach this stuff and nobody really follows any of it. The DM was non-existent except to all the little pathetic followers that would walk around with him. He wouldn't give anyone else the time of day. I was coached to kiss the butts of the DM, ROSS and SM's in order to ever advance.
I liked working with the associates. We had some great people at that level and they would work hard for you if they respected you. I was respected more than most, so they made things pretty easy for me. I did learn that the people make the store and that they are some hard workers.
I would recomend Hannaford to stoners, high school kids, and people trying to get into management that could not hack it anywhere else in life.
Pros
the associates
Cons
pathetic leadership
Hard work,
Stock Clerk (over night) (Former Employee) –  Niskayuna, NYDecember 15, 2015
Clocked in
Checked in with management
Blocked store until the truck came in
Pulled pallets to the floor
After all of the pallet were out on the floor, I would start throwing my bulk isles(pet,soap,diaper) while the guys would sort the other pallets in the backroom.When they were done in the back I would help pull the boats to the floor. When I finish getting my bulk product to the shelves I threw my isles,which includes bins, floor displays and end caps.At the end of my shift I would make sure all of my plastic and cardboard was cleaned up,my bulk pallets were off the floor and properly wrapped.
As for my coworkers they were always trying to play a practical joke on each other such as, hiding boat or shopping carts in another isle or hiding their coffee. Our manager would sometimes be in on the joke himself.I would just stand back and laugh.
I think for all of us the hardest part of the job came when the truck was three or four hours late and it upset all of us because, we did not want to get in trouble for not being able to get our jobs done on time.We did not get in trouble for it and were thanked for doing the best we could given the situation.
Pros
Free work out.I did not have to pay to go to the gym
Cons
Trucks being late
Great place to start out with
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gardiner MaineAugust 21, 2015
I loved working as a cashier, but there are some downfalls. Some of the cashiers have to go out and get carts, in my opinion, the baggers or other people who don't have training, should be the ones to restock the carts. Another thing, when I was being trained, the first person I was trained with, just made me read everything and didn't explain it or asked me if I had any questions. I'm a visual learner, and the second person who trained me was amazing. She didn't just make me read everything, but explained it as we were training. Plus, another thing is that some of the cashiers are very messy and don't clean up after their station. Most of them throw away perfectly good bags! The most frustrating this about being a cashier is the Wic and Wcc checks. Its hard enough that we have to spend More time having to look and then scan. Plus some of the ideams can go in as wic approved, but its not. Another big problem about working at Hannaford, is that the technology NEEDS TO BE UPDATED!!!! Especially the card scanners. Other then that, the employees are friendly, the service leaders and okay, but some of them are very rude. And management, sometimes, doesn't know what they are doing.
hannaford
Customer Service Leader (Current Employee) –  Marlborough, MANovember 10, 2012
I started at Hannaford when I was sixteen years old, they are extremely accommodating to your needs and schedule. Also there is room for advancement if you try hard enough. I began as a cashier, then moved to the bakery nearly two years later. When I was short on hours, they allowed me to work in grocery and on the front end still. Now I am a customer service leader and things are extremely eventful. It is my responsibility to make sure that all front end associates take their scheduled breaks, while also maintaining customer service and performing audits on cash registers. At the end of the night it is my duty to remove all tills from the sales floor, and ensure that they are placed in the cash office for the morning book keeper. The most enjoyable part of the job is my regular customers who've known me for all of the years that I've worked at Hannaford, I've actually developed a strong professional relationship with many of them. The hardest part of the position is dealing with customer complaints in a friendly manner, regardless of how the customer is treating you.
Pros
hannaford constantly shows associate appreciation.
Cons
hours are constantly fluctuating
Friendly and fast paced work environment
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHNovember 19, 2013
Depending of the day of the week most days where typically steady. Saturday and Sundays were fast-paced, busy and sometimes, as a front end supervisor, you had to think fast on your feet and "own the solution" by figuring out how to satisfy the needs of the customer(s). Time management, team work, and a creative sense of problem solving are different aspects I learned/improved on during this job. The co-workers at my job were friendly and were always willing to help out, which is great. Working in a retail environment, such as a grocery store, situations can change quickly. Because of that, it was great to know that my fellow co-workers were willing to go the extra mile. One of the hardest aspects of the job, was being confronted by an angry/displeased customer. However, I found it to be a great way to further improve my customer skills. Working with many different people I grew to know and call my friends was one of the most enjoyable parts of the job.
Pros
if i forgot my lunch that was okay, i worked in a grocery store!
Cons
no insurance for part-time flex employees.
A good place to start, but not worth staying if you want to be happy and feel accomplished.
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHMarch 31, 2013
I was with the company for 8 years. They played games with me, led me to believe they needed me when all they wanted was me to do the work for them and credit others for it. I am tired of playing games with Hannaford. Sure it is a nice place to shop. The associates are friendly, but most are not happy. They are underpaid and unappreciated. They put on a facade and sweep all the bad under the rug, but at the end of the day, they go home just as they came to work. My co-workers were like a second family to me. The pharmacy department is managed well and the people there treat you with respect. However, the pharmacy is controlled by store management. Store management only cares about numbers, not people.They will do anything to look good.
Pros
certain benefits available for all associates; paid breaks; customer satisfaction guaranteed
Cons
associates are just numbers, not people; poor managment; no one exceeds expectations according to management

Comment – May 24, 2013

Couldn't have said it better

Great workplace
Customer Service Leader (Current Employee) –  New Hartford, NYAugust 5, 2015
Constantly moving whether it is to cash someone out, help a customer, return reshops, pull carts, clean registers, or make change amongst other things. I've learned names of a wide variety of produce that I did not know existed. I learned new items that are sold in our store and their location. I learned how to process refunds, lottery winners, manual entries for lottery, cash checks, money orders, western unions, and to use a register. All of the coworkers are very pleasant and helpful if unsure of certain things during a transaction. The hardest part of the day is probably making sure that everything is counted and put away when closing the service desk or closing the store because you want to make sure you have everything printed out that is suppose to be printed out and all the tills put away. The most enjoyable part of the job is pulling carts, I enjoyed this break from being inside constantly and enjoying the fresh air.

Want to know more about Hannaford?

Ask a question
the people i worked with were nice and reasonable to work for
Early Morning Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Pelham, NHOctober 5, 2014
the typical day would start at 2 or 3 in the morning and i would have to lift 20 to 50 punt bags of dog/cat food everyday i worked. i would get a great workout while working lifting heavy weight and working at a fast pace would keep me on my fast on my feet . i enjoyed helping customers with any help or questions, also i made a lot of friends while working is a customer service environment with co workers and customers that would regularly come to the store. the hardest part of the job would of been pulling 100 pounds of dog and cat food out on the floor at 2 in the morning , i never was trained for the electric pallet jack i had to use manual pallet jack to pull all that weight, but i still got the job done to my full potential with what i had to use to get it done properly.
Pros
easy labor, good environment
Cons
challenging speed 1 case in 1 minute is extreme in my opinion
Hannaford
Seafood/Meat/Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Clifton Park, NYMarch 8, 2013
A typical day at work would either start at 6:30 a.m. or even as late as 5 p.m. for a closing shift. In the mornings, I was in charge of everything seafood. When I started we used to have a frozen case, so I would start by building the ice case, then stocking product, make the department look presentable and clean to the customers. I learned many things about different cuts of meat and fish, as well as how to skin and fillet seafood. I got along with all management. They were all good people and friends. My co-workers were a diverse fun group and I met a lot of new people. The hardest part of the job would be, but really wasnt bad, would be breaking down the equipment and closing the department. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing my co-workers
Pros
free lunches, good atmosphere, learned many things, treated employees well. pay raise every 6 months
Cons
healthcare.
Fun workplace with lots of friendly people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Essex Junction, VTFebruary 11, 2013
The majority of what I did at Hannaford was cashier, but there were times when I did other things such as carts, and cleaning up and recycling the bottle area.

Management for almost all of the time I worked there was great, and I got along with almost everyone in the store. I even did some drawings for advertising in the meat department.

The hardest part of working at Hannaford was just the tediousness of my job. Working as a cashier for seven years got somewhat boring.

The most enjoyable part was seeing friendly people I worked with every day, and being very knowledgeable of the customers that came in often. I was on a first name basis with many people that shopped there.

The best part of Hannaford is the fact that they sell only local foods, and therefore support local farmers.
Pros
free meals for holidays, lots of incentives for working extra hours, provided work shirts
Cons
no benefits due to only working part-time, pushing carts in bad weather, low raises
Great Place To Work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Greenwich, NYApril 12, 2015
The typical day at work depends on how busy it is and what day of the week it is. I learned a lot from this job, the biggest thing that I learned would probably be how to not show that you are having a bad day in a customer service setting. The management of the store will come down to the sales floor and check out customers just like any of the cashiers. Overall the management doesn't think that they are better than the lower workers. The co-workers there are easy to get along with and very friendly. The hardest part of the job would probably be standing for long periods of time and dealing with troublesome customers. But on the flip side of things its the customers and friendly co-workers who make me want to come back to work day after day.
Pros
Educational leave, company mandatory 15 minute breaks every 2.5 hours
Cons
little to no benefits unless full time
A job where you can advance to new positions.
assistant deli/bakery manager (Current Employee) –  Madawaska, MEAugust 17, 2013
My typical day at work would start at 6 am until 3 pm. My main job would be baking muffins, donuts until lunch time. I would also order the country kitchen on line. Then I would wait on customers in the deli and put out my products that I had baked. During this time I would help over see other associates and any concerns or questions they may have. My day will end with panning up what needs to baked the next day. Some days out of the week my boss will not be working so then I do my typical job plus some of her job.
Pros
having my three weeks vacation, having every other weekend off, working the day shift, being trusted by the company, make decisions.
Cons
some of the customers i had to deal with were rude to the point of swearing at me, i am also in charge of writing associates up
Much public interaction and human skills required; advancement potential
Manager of Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Falmouth, MEJune 25, 2015
Hannaford possesses management that generally practices professionalism in their interactions with subordinates. The management team does have a more laissez-faire attitude with peers, which can lead to a more balanced work day. Compensation is average for the industry; neither the best or the worst (Save a Lot usually rated lowest, Whole Foods usually rated best in my research). Advancement potential is there, but like most retail operations, competition is stiff as the labor pool is large. This can lead to frustration for many as there are often fewer positions available than there are well qualified candidates. This can lead to stagnation and lower morale. Overall, I rate Hannaford as a better-than-average company for whom to work.
Pros
Manager outings, annual bonuses for salaried managers
Cons
Expensive and poor quality health insurance; often large periods of time required for advancement
An okay job..........more for a "starter job" than an adult
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Glens Falls and Saratoga, NYMay 8, 2012
Each store depends upon its manager. I worked in 2 different stores and found them to be like night and day. I did feel overall the younger generation (kids having their first job) excelled more than us older ones.(Older meaning over 25 yr. old.) They do cater to kids!!!! Kids get more advanement and they FAIL to recognize the GOOD qualities in ADULTS! The pay was HORRID more so if you had experience. They didn't compensate for that. One store worked around my schedule; the other did not. They were STRICT about the breaks due to NYS Labor Laws and stood to this! Vacation/holidays were there IF you could secure enough hr. to receive it.
Pros
all depended upon the store you worked in, fluctuated hr., vacation maybe
Cons
low wage, never compensated for experience, catered to the younger generation
Productive and fast pace work place
Night Crew Chief Trainee (Current Employee) –  Yarmouth, MEMay 17, 2012
I have learned basic management skills. Being a third shift manager allowed me to see the backbone of the corporation and now I am ready to venture forward in my career with something a little suttle, but still can be as fast pace. This job allowed me to see the back-breakers of the company. Working third shift does a number on the crew mentally and physically. I think the most enjoyable part of the day (other then going home of course) is the first few hours and the last few hours. When customers are just making their final purchases and when you get to see day break.
Pros
once a month free drinks, good meals on holidays, good benefits and good coworkers
Cons
third-shift, physically stressful, extremely face pace every night, no sun, don't see many people
Difficult Deli Dept. Management
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  Queensbury, NYJuly 26, 2015
Great place to work if you don't want to advance much. I have many years in this company but it is very hard to move ahead. The customers make your day. Most of the co workers I work with are like family to me. The hardest part of the job is that I never received recognition for my accomplishments and was often purposely overlooked because I was not a supervisor or above. No supportive management within the Deli Dept. Definitely not all about the numbers but you do grow in your skill levels. A lot of "in house" politics going on.
Pros
Holiday parties with free food, pizza, wings or baked goods.
Cons
no discounts on products for being an employee, favoritism present
flexibility
Cake Decorator (Current Employee) –  Riverside, Portland, MEMay 28, 2015
Hannaford is a great company to work for if you have a second job. They truly are flexible with your hours and accommodating days off.
A typical day consists of regularly scheduled breaks and general corporate company rule following.
Management is generally friendly, though outliers exist in any environment.
Co-workers are generally helpful, though the above applies here too.
The hardest part of the job is the feeling of being considered only as a number to the company. If your manager is a good manager they will keep morale up, but it takes a toll.
The most enjoyable part of the job is making the customer who ordered a special cake that I designed beam with appreciation when the cake is revealed. That makes your day.
Pros
Friendly environment, regular customers
Cons
minimal raises, excessive silly rules