Hannaford Employee Reviews

Great Place to work!
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Essex Junction, VTDecember 18, 2016
Everyone there is great to work with. The management is considerate and coworkers are a delight. The work is intellectually challenging and keeps you going, going, going. There are plenty of opportunities to move up, as well as great pay raises within the first year you work there. There's lots of room to grow.
Pros
Great Management, Good working enviorment, Occassional free food, Good pay
Cons
Usually only part-time
busy and fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Keene, NHFebruary 16, 2017
I learned that this is a fast paced and fun place to work. The team and the customers are friendly and I was always busy helping someone. The management were helpful and always around when I had questions. They are very understanding and quick to give praise or helpful tips.
Pros
frequent rest breaks
Cons
not enough hours for me.
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  West Lebanon, NHFebruary 3, 2017
Management is extremely friendly. They treat all employees with respect. Work hard and there's the possibility of promotion.
Pros
Friendly management and customers
Cons
Start everyone off part time
Productive and busy
Front End Associate (Current Employee) –  New Hartford, NYJanuary 27, 2017
This job is not bad it could be better, it gives yearly raises. Management is average if not slightly above average. Hardest part of the job is the retrieval of carts everyday.
Maintenance associate
Maintenance associate (Former Employee) –  Damariscotta, MEFebruary 1, 2017
It was very physical work,which was both good and bad. I started part-time, and later became full time. Management treated me very well, but my options within the company were limited. I have made lasting frienships with fellow employees, and I take pride that I did my job well.
Pros
Co-workers, exercise, benefits for full-time
Cons
Public restrooms, sometimes too exhausting, not a regular schedule.
Friendly and Fast-Paced Environment
Service Leader (Former Employee) –  Old Town, MEAugust 16, 2016
Being employed at Hannaford was a wonderful 3 years. I gained unmeasurable amounts of knowledge while working there. Hannaford as a company constantly praises those who provide exceptional customer service and let them know they are an asset to the store as a whole. The management at the Old Town Hannaford is remarkable and are confident leaders who you feel comfortable around.
Very fun place to be at, amazing people.
Night Stocker (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, MEFebruary 16, 2017
Very quick pace, management is always very happy to have the few people that they do, very fun place to work at, and always wanted to be at work. They have high expectations that you have to work very hard to to reach but can always have room to make them. Very productive.
Pros
Free lunches, buy you all kinds of different foods and drinks.
Cons
Compensation
good job, poor atmosphere
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Clinton, MADecember 22, 2016
well my shift would be 9pm-530amish, but i would come in an hour early to get ahead start on separating the load for the rest of the crew, That was a responsibility of mine. I learned leadership. Management never went out of their way to make sure associates were content and had no issues. Coworkers always came to me on issues instead of management due to no confidence. The job itself was simple and great but poor management/ double standards/ low morale made it hard to get motivated. Making associates laugh/relaxed and going home after a hard nights work
Pros
Simple, personal responsibility
Cons
double standards
A pretty good company to work for
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Upstate NYJanuary 4, 2017
Employees are generally treated kindly and respectfully. Flexibility in scheduling seems good. Like most retail employers, most benefits are provided only for full-time employees and starting pay for hourly-pay employees is largely in the range of $9 to $10.50/hr. There is some sick and holiday pay, even for new employees. A minus is that unlike some retail employers, there is no employee shopping discount. One positive that seems rare among many corporations is that Hannaford seems to truly care about the needs of both its employees and its customers and, unlike most other grocery retailers, it normally doesn't use marketing tricks or gimmicks. Opportunity for department or geographic relocation is good. Over all, Hannaford is a good place to work.
Pros
An over all respect and concern for employees, company ethics, flexible scheduling, transfer opportunities
Cons
Hourly employee starting pay relatively low, minimal benefits for part-time employees
Busy place to work
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Essex Junction, VTJanuary 28, 2017
A typical day at Hannaford for a customer service representative is running around helping both associates and customers solve problems. I learned how handle bad situations where customers are complaining or upset. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with upset / distraught people. The most enjoyable part of the job was the regular/ nice customers that make your day just a little better. Also, having wonderful co-workers is a plus. As for management, the current customer service manager at this Hannaford did not manage the employees well. Unfortunately, the work environment was very unorganized, and messy.
positive work environmnet
Kitchen Associate - Store #8351 (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 20, 2017
Good pay (based on experience) Management willing to work with your schedule. Positive attitude from the majority of co workers.
Pros
involved in community. good pay, health benifits
Cons
poor work ethic from younger employees
Good with students
Deli associate (Former Employee) –  Biddeford, MEJanuary 9, 2017
Higher-ups in management are good with working with students, making sure they can balance work and education. A typical day at work involves stocking, cleaning, and interacting with customers in a fast-paced environment. Coworkers tend to be pleasant, and help each other get through department tasks while managing customer flow. Management is detached at times and does not always make sure employees are able to complete all work on time. Managing customer service and department tasks (i.e. cleaning, restocking, etc) is the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part is interacting with regular customers.
Pros
free k-cup coffee in break room
Fun place, small pay scale, hard to advance
Assistant Grocery Manager/Interim Grocery Manager (Current Employee) –  Wynantskill, NYFebruary 17, 2017
Tough to reach management level and once there pay does not match the strain you put in on a daily basis. The company culture is warm and helps compensate for the lack in pay.
Great co-workers, fun environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Winthrop, MEAugust 24, 2016
Thought it was good at first, job gets old real quick, hired me as full-time only to find out I was really hired as "part time", only good thing about it is the co-workers, you don't get as many hours as they say you will, won't get paid as much as they say you will.
Pros
awesome co-workers, clean atmosphere, uplifting environment
Cons
Management is unsteady, lots of favoritism, low pay, little to no advancement, randomly automated hours.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Alton, NHFebruary 15, 2017
They work with you and your schedule. You get a pay raise every six months based of an evaluation. The employees are great to work with and the employers treat their employees with respect. Always a chance to advance.
Repetitive workflow
Night Shift Associate (Former Employee) –  Brattleboro, VTNovember 14, 2016
Went to work around 9:00pm at night and stocked shelves until 7:00am in the morning. The job became very repetitive and the adjustment of working nights really took a toll on me. I did enjoy the other employees I worked with but most of the time you worked most the night without really talking to others. Great company but the position was just not for me.
Pros
Able to work alone most shifts, good benefits, had the daytime to handle anything I needed to handle
Cons
Had to adjust to working night shifts, pay could have been better, not a lot of interaction with co workers
deplorable work enviorment.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Maine, MENovember 16, 2016
In the few years that I was employed for Hannaford, I saw that there was no room for any type of advancement. From what I saw, they treated their seasoned employees horrible. If you were young and beautiful, you were all set with most management.
A very upbeat environment.
Bakery/Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Glens Falls, NYFebruary 8, 2017
During my time at Hannaford I was able to grow and learn so many ways. The store management was great. There was always an opportunity to learn, whether it be in the department you are working in or cross-training in a different one. There was never a point in the day that there wasn't something to be done. The Bakery and Deli departments, much like other Fresh Departments in Hannaford are very fast-paced. Always working hard to make sure we provided the best customer service possible and offered products to suit all of our customers needs.
Ok
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  West Sand Lake, NYFebruary 13, 2017
Decent place to work, compensations could be improved. Its retail so customer service is a must. Management can be difficult at times, it is dependent on a store to store basis.
Each store is different but Kennebunk is the best
Receiver, Scan File, Maintenance Lead (Former Employee) –  Kennebunk, MEAugust 6, 2016
My direct supervisor was amazing. Realized that it was just a job and was big on making sure that you were balancing life and work well. Actually cared when you had an issue at work or in your personal life. Lots of room for growth and personal advancement. Not every store or management team is the same but Kennebunk was awesome.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hannaford. Our community is ready to answer.

78%