Hannaford Employee Reviews

Great place to work.
Produce Manager (Former Employee), vermontAugust 27, 2015
Good place to work if your looking for advancement opportunities. Corporate management could use a rehab but local store managers are good people.
Great place to start out with
Cashier (Former Employee), Gardiner MaineAugust 21, 2015
I loved working as a cashier, but there are some downfalls. Some of the cashiers have to go out and get carts, in my opinion, the baggers or other people who don't have training, should be the ones to restock the carts. Another thing, when I was being trained, the first person I was trained with, just made me read everything and didn't explain it or asked me if I had any questions. I'm a visual learner, and the second person who trained me was amazing. She didn't just make me read everything, but explained it as we were training. Plus, another thing is that some of the cashiers are very messy and don't clean up after their station. Most of them throw away perfectly good bags! The most frustrating this about being a cashier is the Wic and Wcc checks. Its hard enough that we have to spend More time having to look and then scan. Plus some of the ideams can go in as wic approved, but its not. Another big problem about working at Hannaford, is that the technology NEEDS TO BE UPDATED!!!! Especially the card scanners. Other then that, the employees are friendly, the service leaders and okay, but some of them are very rude. And management, sometimes, doesn't know what they are doing.
grocery store life
Customer Service Leader (Former Employee), Delmar, NYAugust 20, 2015
working at a grocery store isn't all bad but then you have managers who play favoritism, give positions to people who aren't qualified, the typical grocery store life. just go to work and go home.
this job has ups and downs
Unloader/Stocker (Current Employee), Queensbury, NYAugust 17, 2015
i love this job because i work nights and the people i work with help time go by smoothly but its harder to get hours now and they have no benefits to offer
A fun, great place to work
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Amsterdam, NYAugust 14, 2015
This is a fun place to work. Great people, both on management and entry level, good benefits including a 401k plan, insurance as well as paid vacation time. They have a plan for those interested in taking it to the next level and are open to people working in multiple departments. As a bonus, there are often treats in the breakroom from ice cream to hot dogs as well as the occasional drawing or potluck. For those looking to help with charity, they offer the option to donate a portion of your paycheck to The United Way as well as another to help fellow associates in need should they fall on hard times.
Productive and adaptive work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Winthrop, MEAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Friendly atmosphere, and easy to move up in positions
Cons: Only aloud 2 breaks during a seven hour shift
Co workers and managers are very friendly, and we learn new life lessons each day. While we take our jobs very seriously we also try to engage in social conversations during our down time. I have learned that it isn't a bad thing to be yourself and to appreciate what you have. I have also brushed up on some of the skills that are required for management positions.
not impressed.
Center Store Associate (Former Employee), Brandon, VTAugust 10, 2015
Pros: I love working in stock and I enjoyed the job and the coworkers, just not the crew leader.
Cons: Each day I was more tired and just couldn't seem to grasp a good schedule.
The store was dirty, the back room is very small and dirty and crowded, the crew leader was very rude and had poor hygiene. This was the first time I had ever tried working a night shift anywhere and I discovered it was not for me.
Fun atmosphere with flexible hours
Customer service and produce associate (Current Employee), Standish, MEAugust 8, 2015
A very fun place to work, with sponsored activities throughout the year. The best and worst part is the schedule, which changes weekly. On one hand it creates a very flexible environment that allows for students to work around their classes. On the other it makes planning events with family and friends difficult because you never know if you're actually working or not.
Great workplace
Customer Service Leader (Current Employee), New Hartford, NYAugust 5, 2015
Constantly moving whether it is to cash someone out, help a customer, return reshops, pull carts, clean registers, or make change amongst other things. I've learned names of a wide variety of produce that I did not know existed. I learned new items that are sold in our store and their location. I learned how to process refunds, lottery winners, manual entries for lottery, cash checks, money orders, western unions, and to use a register. All of the coworkers are very pleasant and helpful if unsure of certain things during a transaction. The hardest part of the day is probably making sure that everything is counted and put away when closing the service desk or closing the store because you want to make sure you have everything printed out that is suppose to be printed out and all the tills put away. The most enjoyable part of the job is pulling carts, I enjoyed this break from being inside constantly and enjoying the fresh air.
Difficult Deli Dept. Management
Deli Associate (Current Employee), Queensbury, NYJuly 26, 2015
Pros: Holiday parties with free food, pizza, wings or baked goods.
Cons: no discounts on products for being an employee, favoritism present
Great place to work if you don't want to advance much. I have many years in this company but it is very hard to move ahead. The customers make your day. Most of the co workers I work with are like family to me. The hardest part of the job is that I never received recognition for my accomplishments and was often purposely overlooked because I was not a supervisor or above. No supportive management within the Deli Dept. Definitely not all about the numbers but you do grow in your skill levels. A lot of "in house" politics going on.
Great Company
Assistant Grocery Manager (Former Employee), NewHartford,NYJuly 18, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: none
Good to work for. Little room for advancement though. Good workers and customers. Nice benefits. Breaks and meal policy followed properly.
Fun and loving workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), Williston, VTJuly 8, 2015
Pros: The PEOPLE!
Cons: Standing in one place for lengths of time.
I loved working at Hannaford, they always show their employees appreciation, and hire internally before looking elsewhere to give employees more of a chance for advancement. They are fair honest hard working people. Good mannered and polite. There are often activities for the employees and they believe in giving back to the community. They smile upon community service, donations to organizations, and give back to local schools. The only thing I disliked is that my position as a cashier my responsibilities were limited so when it is not busy, you can become a little bored just standing at your lane waiting for customers.
work place
Cashier/Cumtomer Service/Service Clerk (Former Employee), Schenectady, NYJuly 1, 2015
It was fun most of the time but is a store and things had to get done
we had fun time like family picnics and they had were we can use are card to the great Escape discount the store is always clean
Much public interaction and human skills required; advancement potential
Manager of Customer Service (Former Employee), Falmouth, MEJune 25, 2015
Pros: Manager outings, annual bonuses for salaried managers
Cons: Expensive and poor quality health insurance; often large periods of time required for advancement
Hannaford possesses management that generally practices professionalism in their interactions with subordinates. The management team does have a more laissez-faire attitude with peers, which can lead to a more balanced work day. Compensation is average for the industry; neither the best or the worst (Save a Lot usually rated lowest, Whole Foods usually rated best in my research). Advancement potential is there, but like most retail operations, competition is stiff as the labor pool is large. This can lead to frustration for many as there are often fewer positions available than there are well qualified candidates. This can lead to stagnation and lower morale. Overall, I rate Hannaford as a better-than-average company for whom to work.
Good place to work for
Cashier/ Deli Associate (Former Employee), East Greenbush, NYJune 25, 2015
This job was okay depending on which department you work for. Cashiering wasn't that good, but deli was fun. I would fill in for meat department once in a while and that was fun too. Scan file is kind of fun, average difficulty but its tedious though.
Fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Cashier/ Customer ServiceJune 22, 2015
Hanaford is a great first job for young adults still in high school. They are great with having flexible hours and schedules.
Good Place to work
Customer Service Leader (Former Employee), Rockland, MEJune 17, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: None
Managed full service deli in large grocery store.
Helping customers, great coworkers.
A great place to work and meet people
Hannaford
Deli Associate (Current Employee), Colonie, NYJune 16, 2015
worked here for over 4 years and was promised an advancement into management and in pay and never got it.I would not recommend working for this company,
Hannaford
Supervisor (Current Employee), Albany, NYJune 12, 2015
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
I most enjoy the customer interaction at hannaford and my other associates. Management, however, could be a better job of recognizing hard workers. I don't feel that the associates make enough money for what they do.
flexibility
Cake Decorator (Current Employee), Riverside, Portland, MEMay 28, 2015
Pros: Friendly environment, regular customers
Cons: minimal raises, excessive silly rules
Hannaford is a great company to work for if you have a second job. They truly are flexible with your hours and accommodating days off.
A typical day consists of regularly scheduled breaks and general corporate company rule following.
Management is generally friendly, though outliers exist in any environment.
Co-workers are generally helpful, though the above applies here too.
The hardest part of the job is the feeling of being considered only as a number to the company. If your manager is a good manager they will keep morale up, but it takes a toll.
The most enjoyable part of the job is making the customer who ordered a special cake that I designed beam with appreciation when the cake is revealed. That makes your day.
Headquarters