Hannaford Employee Reviews in United States

An ok job with friendly people and flexible hours
Center Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Milton, VTJune 15, 2016
A typical day at work for me is mostly just stocking shelves and making sure they look nice for the customers. I didn't really learn any new skills there, but I did learn to be more of a people person. Management for the most part was friendly and understanding. Co-workers were also nice, with a few exceptions of those not willing to work. The hardest part was the job just being mundane, while the most enjoyable was being able to manage yourself.
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
lots of time spent on your knees
Working at Hannafords.
Cashier, shift leader and office help. (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, VTJune 8, 2016
Hannaford wasn't a bad place to work. The people I worked with were very friendly and helpful when I first started. Their teaching program was very useful because I am more a hands on person. I like to see it done once and then I pretty much have that in my head. I need to have some one train me and then I need to work it out by myself. Then I get what I am suppose to do.
Pros
We did get uniforms from the company.
Cons
We paid for our own lunches.
Very customer service oriented
Front End Associate (Former Employee) –  Glens Falls, NYJune 2, 2016
Working as a front end associate at Hannaford Supermarkets is very customer oriented. Pleasing the customer is the main objective. The people I worked with were generally friendly. The hardest part of the job is going to get carts from the parking lots. The most enjoyable part of the job is the connections one can make with customers and co workers.
Pros
Customer service skills increase
Cons
Short breaks, long hours on feet
Excellent place to work, where employees work together as a team and family.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Clinton, MA 01510June 29, 2016
I loved working at Hannafords. All of my coworkers worked together as a team to get the job done. My managers were kind an understanding, and wonderful teachers. It was a pleasure to work with a bunch of hardworking individuals. During my time at Hannafords I learned great customer service skills, and I've become great at multitasking.
Good stepping stone in Working
Front end Associate (Current Employee) –  Northwood, NHMay 17, 2016
Hannaford's was my first real job getting paid, my previous work was volunteer. It taught me work place responsibility as well as how to have friendly customer service and how to work with what can sometimes be difficult customers which can be the hardest part of the job. Management was friendly and kind and I got along well with them as well as my co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job would be talking with customers and co-workers, due to the fact i'm a talkative person.
Pros
Coupons for doing well that can be used toward items in the store
Cons
Hours can be odd
As a cashier..
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, MAJune 2, 2016
Days get busy, so I learned how to work at a fast, accurate paste. My co-workers are on task but at times they can be off task. The hardest part of the job is to always try and attract customers even when it's a slow day. I enjoy that you make extra on sundays, but I can say the management needs improving because they are disorganized at times.
Pros
breaks, lunches, covering shifts, requesting days off, time half
Cons
can be inconsiderate
Only here for money, regret ever being a shift leadee
Deli shift leader (Current Employee) –  Carmel, NYMay 9, 2016
Mangers are. Lazy, too much gossip with manager and assistants. Hard workers are often in and out and the lazy workers stay for a long time , when I started the deli and became shift leader I do regret it I stepped down and they still hold me responsible and really poor training and I've worked there for 2 years and still looking for another job. All about MPP no one knows what that's is and manager talk bad about their own crew to other departments.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Poor management
Hanna fords Supermarket retail
Cashier and Cart Worker (Former Employee) –  182 Summer Street, Kingston, MAMay 18, 2016
Hannafords first off was my 1st official, actual real job (umpiring I don't really count as a job so much as an activity). At Hanford's I went through a extensive amount of training via videos or lessons on a computer before I actually began as a cashier. However as I cashier I was relayed on to do and get groceries and customers done very quickly but also effectively. Also I organized shopping carts when asked to. This experience of a cashier gave me much better people skills from always greeting all types of people in all types of moods, ranging from very happy to a mad and bad mooded person just looking to take some anger out on someone.
Pros
Flexible hours, easy breaks, good experience
Cons
Lot of pressure on doing things incredibly fast
Unfriendly environment with terrible managers
Cashier/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Maine, MEMay 3, 2016
I used to work for a Hannaford in Maine. I quit my job there because of the way the managers treated me. Although managers did treat me terribly, I also saw that other employees were given poor treatment. They make no accommodations to make the work environment fun. I do not recommend this job. I have seen mistreatment of employees in other Hannaford stores around the state. Even when the "big managers" came into the store, they were still not friendly and you felt degraded. I could rant on for hours about how horrible my experience was with Hannaford.
Cons
Poor managers
Worst place ever!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Clinton, NYMay 25, 2016
Management is bad, The training you get is the worst ever. They play favorites, and some of the workers there abuse drugs and nothing ever gets done about it. They expect you to give up your life for the store and could care less about you. They try their best to cover up the truth and make it look like a great place to work but it's all lies.
Pros
Customers are friendly.
Cons
Bad managment, no work life balance
Busy job where I assist my cashiers and customers with any of their needs.
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Malta, NYApril 28, 2016
I enjoy keeping busy with my cashiers and customers. I assist with regular check out, western union, money orders, bill pay, and other things that arise at any given moment. I enjoy my customers a great deal, I have always risen to the opportunity to help others in whatever way I can. The only down to the job is the uncertain hours. I work mostly second shift and then early the next day, this makes it hard to have a normal life.
I would like to be in the medical field again, in any capacity. Helping others is my calling.
Pros
Learning daily about people and what goes on within a grocery store.
Cons
Terrible hours
Good place to Start a job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Latham, NYApril 23, 2016
A typical day at work at Hannafords is standing outside of my lane, Greeting Customers as they come by and ask them if they're ready to check out. If they are, ask them if they found everything that they were looking for, did they have any coupons or reusable bags, did they check their eggs and did they want their meat separate. Management is o.k. for a job like this they worst part of the job is that if it's a slow day, the time drags on, sometimes they forget about you having breaks until like 15-30 mins before your shift finishes. Most of my co-workers are great there, fun to be around and talk to when you can. I've learned to gather more customer service skills and be able to have fun with customers.
Pros
Occasionally free lunches
Productive workplace, always something to do.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rockland, MEApril 13, 2016
Working as a front end cashier, you are always busy doing some type of job. When it is busy, you will either be on the larger cash register, or the smaller one that is the 14 items or less. You will also be scheduled to go out and push carts to stock them back up inside for customers to use while shopping. You will sometimes be asked to get an item for someone, to bag someones groceries and to go put an item back on the shelf.
Pros
Always get breaks on time.
Cons
Pushing carts in bad weather.
My career at Hannaford as been and rewarding.
Front End Associate (Current Employee) –  Buxton, MEApril 7, 2016
I learned more about customer service and working with a great team. I have worked at the Service Desk and do cashier duties, along with bagging. Carts are something that is done daily, cleaning, putting away product and count tills also. Management is great with helping us with work and with our needs as people. The hours are hard, because it is retail and it is everyday of the week. I really enjoy the team environment and our customers.
Pros
getting paid extra on sundays and appreciation days.
Cons
part time does not get medical or dental offered.
Great job!
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brandon, VTJune 6, 2016
Hannafords is a great job! You handle money daily and interact with the public. My co-workers are great at working as a team and being respectful to customers. One thing I've learned about this job is there's always someone having a bad day and your gonna get the bad end of it don't stress it! I love how positive the energy is there!
Pros
meet great people
Cons
no employee discount
work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAMay 23, 2016
a typical day at work would be on the cashier or bagging. wasn't the best job butt I needed the money, I got to interact with others and work together. I learned a lot of communication skills, but the hardest part of the job was pushing carriages. the most enjoyable part of the job was helping customs and being able to speak to others.
Pros
breaks
Cons
no free lunch or discounts
all my co-workers were great and very understanding of my pregnancy
Bagger/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waterville, MEMarch 30, 2016
A typical day consisted of standing in one spot and bagging groceries. it was really hard but i loved being around people. Helping others is what im meant to be doing. My co- workers were very understanding if i needed to sit and take a break due to my pregnancy at that time. My most enjoyable part of the day was actually feeling appreciated, a genuine thank you goes a long way!
Pros
friendly work environment
Cons
Minimuim wage pay
A very interesting group of people that work well together.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 13, 2016
On a typical day I am usually working at the customer service desk dealing with returns, complaints, paying bills, etc. The day usually goes by faster when it's busy. I have learned that not every day will be a great day, and you have to take the good and the bad and make the best of it.
Pros
Being able to meet new people
Cons
Short breaks, no discount
Great People, Flexible Job
Part tim Cashier (Current Employee) –  Uxbridge, MAJune 27, 2016
I work part-time at the front end. I'm currently in college but started working there in high school. Awesome managers, great owner, and friendly people to work with. Super flexible making it perfect for a student at any level. I played 3 sports and was involved in many clubs while also working during my high school years here.
No work advancement
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Milford, MAMarch 26, 2016
I worked there for almost ten years no work advancement. Management only cares for themselves. Employees were nice but very mistreated by management. I would not recommend. No acknowledge for good accomplishments. The hardest part of the job is being held responsible for things you have no control over and having to act as supervisor and manager when management is not ready available. Cart retrieval was the best part of this job.
Pros
The employees
Cons
Mistreatment by management, under paid, short breaks