Hannaford Employee Reviews

Not fun or enjoyable
Deli Assistant Manager Trainee (Current Employee) –  Kennebunk, MEMarch 9, 2017
Low skill, low wage work. Company already knows who they want to promote ahead of time and if you are not that person then you are out of luck for job advancements.
Benefits are hard to get and are locked behind years-of-service requirements. IE: basic benefits are not given out until 2 or more years of employment.
Vacation and paid time off packages for veteran employees do not match up to other local employers.
Scheduling is a constant issue.

Hannaford is good for someone who is starting out, but look elsewhere for a career.
Pros
Free food on occasion
Cons
Wages and benefits
A pretty good company to work for
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Upstate NYJanuary 4, 2017
Employees are generally treated kindly and respectfully. Flexibility in scheduling seems good. Like most retail employers, most benefits are provided only for full-time employees and starting pay for hourly-pay employees is largely in the range of $9 to $10.50/hr. There is some sick and holiday pay, even for new employees. A minus is that unlike some retail employers, there is no employee shopping discount. One positive that seems rare among many corporations is that Hannaford seems to truly care about the needs of both its employees and its customers and, unlike most other grocery retailers, it normally doesn't use marketing tricks or gimmicks. Opportunity for department or geographic relocation is good. Over all, Hannaford is a good place to work.
Pros
An over all respect and concern for employees, company ethics, flexible scheduling, transfer opportunities
Cons
Hourly employee starting pay relatively low, minimal benefits for part-time employees
easy to move up
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYMarch 10, 2017
I started as a seafood clerk and with in the first three months applied for a partime flex deli position and got a 2 dollar raise. I went to work and was on counter most days unless I worked nights then I was in the back cleaning some nights were super busy which ment more cleaning but we had a good crew so we always worked together and got it done the most enjoyable part of the job for me was how well everyone worked as a team and the managers were easy to talk to.
Pros
easy to move up with company
Great Place to work!
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Essex Junction, VTDecember 18, 2016
Everyone there is great to work with. The management is considerate and coworkers are a delight. The work is intellectually challenging and keeps you going, going, going. There are plenty of opportunities to move up, as well as great pay raises within the first year you work there. There's lots of room to grow.
Pros
Great Management, Good working enviorment, Occassional free food, Good pay
Cons
Usually only part-time
Maintenance associate
Maintenance associate (Former Employee) –  Damariscotta, MEFebruary 1, 2017
It was very physical work,which was both good and bad. I started part-time, and later became full time. Management treated me very well, but my options within the company were limited. I have made lasting frienships with fellow employees, and I take pride that I did my job well.
Pros
Co-workers, exercise, benefits for full-time
Cons
Public restrooms, sometimes too exhausting, not a regular schedule.
Repetitive workflow
Night Shift Associate (Former Employee) –  Brattleboro, VTNovember 14, 2016
Went to work around 9:00pm at night and stocked shelves until 7:00am in the morning. The job became very repetitive and the adjustment of working nights really took a toll on me. I did enjoy the other employees I worked with but most of the time you worked most the night without really talking to others. Great company but the position was just not for me.
Pros
Able to work alone most shifts, good benefits, had the daytime to handle anything I needed to handle
Cons
Had to adjust to working night shifts, pay could have been better, not a lot of interaction with co workers
busy and fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Keene, NHFebruary 16, 2017
I learned that this is a fast paced and fun place to work. The team and the customers are friendly and I was always busy helping someone. The management were helpful and always around when I had questions. They are very understanding and quick to give praise or helpful tips.
Pros
frequent rest breaks
Cons
not enough hours for me.
Very fun place to be at, amazing people.
Night Stocker (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, MEFebruary 16, 2017
Very quick pace, management is always very happy to have the few people that they do, very fun place to work at, and always wanted to be at work. They have high expectations that you have to work very hard to to reach but can always have room to make them. Very productive.
Pros
Free lunches, buy you all kinds of different foods and drinks.
Cons
Compensation
Helpful Workplace with Career Opportunities
Front End Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Saco, MEMarch 19, 2017
Hannaford is a great place to start a new career. There are career advancement opportunities, helpful coworkers, annual pay raises, and they offer a wide variety of skills that can be mastered to better yourself as an individual.
Safe company to work for/ Job security
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEMarch 22, 2017
I enjoy working for Hannaford but would like to grow into a career that I can advance in. Fellow coworkers are, for the most part, easy to work with. Great benefits.
Pros
Considerate customers, employee incentives
Cons
Inconsistent hours
Okay place to work, ideal as a first job
Front End Associate (Current Employee) –  Lunenburg, MAMarch 14, 2017
As a retail establishment, it is better to start here as a high school/college student as the pay is not great and there are not many benefits offered. Overall, good first part time job, not great as a career option.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Alton, NHFebruary 15, 2017
They work with you and your schedule. You get a pay raise every six months based of an evaluation. The employees are great to work with and the employers treat their employees with respect. Always a chance to advance.
Productive and busy
Front End Associate (Current Employee) –  New Hartford, NYJanuary 27, 2017
This job is not bad it could be better, it gives yearly raises. Management is average if not slightly above average. Hardest part of the job is the retrieval of carts everyday.
positive work environmnet
Kitchen Associate - Store #8351 (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 20, 2017
Good pay (based on experience) Management willing to work with your schedule. Positive attitude from the majority of co workers.
Pros
involved in community. good pay, health benifits
Cons
poor work ethic from younger employees
productive and inviting
cashier (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, VTMarch 10, 2017
Hannaford is a very good company to work for. They give a decent amount of hours and work with your schedule. The costumers are very kind as well because you get to know them. My only complaint id that I feel we should get some kind of discount.
Pros
good costumer service
Cons
no benefits
ehhh
Service Associate (Former Employee) –  S Portland, MEFebruary 25, 2017
The job itself was very rewarding but the compensation is not very good and the small town talk really ruins the job atmosphere. It causes a lot of problems with no privacy and everyone telling everyones business completely disregarding HIPPA violations.
Ok
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  West Sand Lake, NYFebruary 13, 2017
Decent place to work, compensations could be improved. Its retail so customer service is a must. Management can be difficult at times, it is dependent on a store to store basis.
ok place
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Colonie, NYMarch 5, 2017
ok place to work... They have ok benefits... Sometimes you get to cross train in the different departments. Delays in internal promotions.
Bakery Associate (Current Employee) –  VermontMarch 15, 2017
A typical day for me includes opening at 4am and baking and making sure everything gets out on the floor at a reasonable time for customers, cake decorating, or closing the department which includes everything will be ready for whomever will be opening the next day. I've learned how to interact with customers through working with customer service, and I've learned how to decorate cakes through their bakery. The management is currently constantly changing for for the last few months we've had no manager, meaning I've had to pick up a lot of slack to maintain the bakery department and try to keep it running as smoothly as possible. The hardest part has been balancing work life and a social life, my main struggle being I put work ahead of anything else, while the most enjoyable part would have to be constantly learning to skills and gaining new knowledge.
Friendly and Fast-Paced Environment
Service Leader (Former Employee) –  Old Town, MEAugust 16, 2016
Being employed at Hannaford was a wonderful 3 years. I gained unmeasurable amounts of knowledge while working there. Hannaford as a company constantly praises those who provide exceptional customer service and let them know they are an asset to the store as a whole. The management at the Old Town Hannaford is remarkable and are confident leaders who you feel comfortable around.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hannaford. Our community is ready to answer.