Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc.

Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc. Employee Reviews

Great place to work, especially for students.
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee), Pueblo, COAugust 1, 2015
Pros: During parking lot sales and over night shifts, store manager provides food.
Cons: If you need a full time job, you need to be in a management position.
Harbor Freight is a great place to work. Very flexible on hours, especially for students and parents. Work day consists of replenishing product, interacting with customers and clean up. The management team is very sensitive to each individuals needs.
Busy and Positive
Cashier (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Socially Open Management
Cons: Nothing aside from the abrupt end.
They always had something for me to do or learn how to do. On top of that, they were understanding when a mistake was made. Overall it was a very up-beat and welcoming work place. Definitely a learning experience, spanning from resume filler to social skills. I learned everything from how to properly unload a truck to how to run a register and answer phones according to company policy. It gave me an opportunity to exercise my social skills with a wide variety of customers and it softened up all of the edges in my conversational skills.
Harbor Freight is a great place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXJuly 29, 2015
Employer with great advancement potential if your willing to relocate. Company is still trying to find itself and management styles differ greatly by region and district.
warehouse
warehouse (Current Employee), Lemon Grove, CAJuly 25, 2015
Pros: losing weight
Cons: low pay
I have to unload trucks. I also have to stock the floor, and put away overstock. Have to scan totes. Work the freight. this company isn't the best. I want to leave that's why Im looking for a better job
Job sucks
Receiving Associate/Salesman (Current Employee), Hattiesburg, MSJuly 24, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Everything but PTO
Pay is terrible and management is beyond idiotic.
Truck day is long and barely any breaktime. Low hours because management wants a big bonus.
Only good benefit is Part time employee earn PTO fast.
Boring workplace with extremely heavy work volumes
Customer Service Representative/Technician (Former Employee), Dillon, SCJuly 23, 2015
Pros: N/A
Cons: N/A
This job was boring and paid very low wages. blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, ehhaoidf khlksdhf oadifhsdiofg lsddkhflisdhf idflk ofiihdfhlksdj
poor
Stocker, picker (Former Employee), Moreno Valley, CAJuly 22, 2015
Pros: good hours
Cons: management
When I work at Harbor Freight I worked through an agency, I would pick and stock. I learned to use a RF scanner and how to pick orders. The management wasn’t that good. They have favorites and it wasn’t enjoyable to work there at all. My coworkers were fun to work with and talk too. The hardest part of the job was the begging because the warehouse had just opened and we didn’t have any product to ship or stock. I didn’t really enjoy working at this warehouse.
Daily workload as an Operations Assistant Store Manager
Operations Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Muncie, INJuly 22, 2015
Pros: closed early around 7pm
Cons: all tasks were off hours
managed 20-25 employees, P&L, schedules, assigning tasks, opening/closing of the store, direct hire/fire, ordering products, shipping/receiving, daily/yearly inventory.
Fun place to work. Great Customers.
Cashier (Former Employee), Mesa, AzJuly 22, 2015
Pros: Learning about the different tools they carry.
Cons: The distance I had to travel to get there.
Upon arriving at work I usually tried to get my extra duties out of the way before getting on my register. On days when I was one of the opening cashiers there were always a lot of things to get done before opening the doors. The training lasted a couple of days and was very hands on, via the computer. There is also a tutorial of sorts accessible from your cash register if you need it. The management is very approachable and if you're having any difficulties they do all they can to help resolve them. They also offer access to a computer in the office in the event you want to refresh your training.
I wasn't employed there long enough to get anything other than my initial probationary review, and that went alright.
The other people I worked with on the floor were fun yet professional and took a great deal of pride in the store and what the customers thought of it.
There are several times a year that they have parking lot sales. We all worked hard setting things up and keeping an eye on things during the sale. The one's that happened while I was there were very successful and everyone worked together really well.
I was terminated, but it happened because of a misunderstanding. We had just gotten a new store manager and he didn't know any of us yet so when everything went down the way it did, he did what was company policy and I was let go. The company policy allows for 3 shortages or overages on your drawer in a 6 month period. You receive write-ups for each, and if there is a forth during the 6 months, you get written up and it's reported to corporate in California. – more... It is then up to them what happens to you. Usually you're terminated. On this particular day, a customer came in returning some jacks and jack stands. First he went to one of the other registers but that cashier didn't have enough money to do the return, so he came to me. I did the return, but mistakenly returned the lesser expensive merchandise. My manager noticed my mistake and came to correct it for me. That, in and of itself wasn't a big deal. After he finished he told me not to forget to have my supervisor void the first return. Otherwise my drawer wouldn't balance. I would be almost $40.00 over. We got busy and I did forget to have him take care of it and we left together at the end of shift.
The next day when I came into work my new store manager called me in and gave me my write up. Unfortunately, he had already sent it in to corporate. Had he known me, he would have probably waited until he talked to me first and it would have been straightened out without involving corporate. I understand that he was simply following policy. The Assistant Manager offered to explain the situation to corporate but I told him it was ok. I was already looking for a job closer to home that paid more, so I just let it go. – less
Sales of both product and service
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee), Lansing, MIJuly 20, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job was working directly with the many hundreds of customers I grew friendly with in my ten years of employment with Harbor Freight.
great place to work if you love tools and working with your hands
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee), Wheat Ridge, COJuly 20, 2015
very fair managers, very helpful co workers, alot of co worker drama amongst one another a little bit of scheduling issues but nothing to bad.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee), Tucson, AZJuly 20, 2015
Very helpful management. Also a team members are helpful as well when it comes to training the newbies. Fast paced environment that allows you to keep your mind busy the whole time and stay active.
It was ok
Lead Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Ocala, FLJuly 19, 2015
I like the job but the compensation was nothing I really enjoyed. I was not getting paid enough to do the things I did and the chances for advancement were just not their.
HORRIBLE JOB!!!!!!
Retail Cashier (Former Employee), Aurora, IllinoisJuly 17, 2015
Pros: half hour lunch, 15 minute break
Cons: low pay, not enough hours and having to fight for hours, bad management, new things or rules every other day.
I've worked at this place for a year and to be completely honest out of all the jobs I have had in my whole life: this job is the worst job I have ever had!!!! The minute you come into the door to start your shift already the managers or head cashiers put major pressure and stress on you to get name collections (as in getting customers to sign up for the free coupons & catalogs in their mail), that is the main thing they focus on to give out hours to employees. Yet they also stress the fact that not only do they need name collections but replacement or protection plans (they call them ESPs.) and Inside Track Club membership (ITCs.). You have to watch both your p's and q's around other employees, basically keep a tight lip; anything you say around the head cashiers could easily get you in trouble or wrote up. When I first started working there a year ago; my hours were from 27-30 hours a week and it was great working there since then it went from great to bad to worse along with my hours being literally chopped from 27-30 hours it went down to 20-15 hours then 15-5 hours a week basically it was pointless to even bother coming into work. Plus the management doesn't bother to tell employees about new things such as point system for attendance; they love keeping their employees in the dark about such things this way its easier to get rid of them in the long run. There is also empty promises for advancement as in moving up in positions; don't even consider the fact of even being able to do other things besides cashier at this place. Once you applied for the job of cashier; that's it you are not going to be considered to be promoted or advanced to other positions such as warehouse or pricing, you'll be stuck as cashier there forever. My advice: look elsewhere for a job with promise of promotion or advancement; don't even consider applying for a job with this company once you're in a position such as cashier or warehouse; you're stuck there for good!!!!
Learned something new everyday
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJuly 17, 2015
Pros: fun evironment
Cons: Overworked
Retail is def retail, due to lack of hours, managers were always overworked. However with the employees we had, work was fun. The district managers doe not have the right concept of work life environment. it was a leaning experience
Worst company in my 30 years of working
Sales Assoc (Former Employee), Fort Collins, COJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Good Discount
Cons: No breaks, late lunches, berating, threats, unsafe conditions, injuries
Harbor Freight was the worst experience I have ever had, and this includes working fast food. Daily threats of write ups and firings to me and my co-workers for doing our jobs. We did not lay about, we didn't find a place to take naps, we all worked hard and still were admonished because we could not unload a truck filled with 20,000 items. Some pieces were hundreds of pounds, and we had no machinery to lift it. Fire exits were constantly blocked, pallets were stacked 3 and 4 high in the warehouse, literally teetering over our heads. There were even times when the store manager would rip open one of the lower pallets to get at something making it even more dangerous.

This company produces garbage, literally garbage. So many customers said they would "use it once and throw it away." They knew the poor quality of most tools made by this company.
NA
Store Manager (Former Employee), Kannapolis, NCJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Good bonuses.
Cons: the hours you put in are not worth what you get out.
Company is focused on cutting everything to the bone to make more profit when they should focus on staffing and customer service. As a manager you may be there for 7-8 hours at a time by yourself because of cuts which makes it extremely difficult to help customers, run a register, get items out of the warehouse and do customer loading.
The product you sell is substandard compared to the name brands on the market and you will have to deal with a lot of upset customers.
good sale's
pricing coordinator (Former Employee), montgomery, alJuly 13, 2015
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: short lunches
fast pace.
more about certain tool's.
I had two terrific manager's.
pretty good co-worker's
n/a
price change's and audit and working with customer's.
good job for young adults
Sale Associate (Current Employee), Albany, NYJuly 12, 2015
good place to work at. Not many chances to advance management could be better. Not much workk-life balance. Compensations and bonuses are offered.
Bleh...
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Kenneth City, FLJuly 11, 2015
Pros: Nothing
Cons: Poor scheduling and treatment, unsafe
They overwork you for the very few hours they schedule you and pay you the very minimum. Incompetent management. If you are hired expect to be asked to do any and everything. Blatant disregard for safety protocols.

1 2 3 4 5

About Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc.

In 1977, Harbor Freight Tools had a mission to make it easier for working people to get the best value possible on top-quality – Read more

Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc. Salaries