Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc.

Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,053 reviews matching the search
Productive friendly easy environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Berlin, CTAugust 20, 2016
Harbor freight tools was a good job to have simply because it was easy. A typical day at work would be me being at my register ready to ring out customers. Usually an 8 hour shift, you had to remember coupon dates, sale dates, where the tools were located, return polices, and most importantly customer service. I got along well with my co-workers, being able to take the lead in times of need like when it got busy or a co worker wasn't up to par. The managers were great we had a good bond which I think is very important. Overall my experience at harbor freight was good.
Pros
30 minute breaks, sick time, good co workers
Cons
not enough pay, or hours
Not a good place to work.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAJuly 9, 2016
They start off by telling you what a great place it is to work, but with the management they have at this store, unless you are a favorite, you get NO hours. They say hours are based on sales, but in reality it is based on how many of their Inside Track Club memberships you sell. Doesn't matter how hard you work. Very stressful and management is very RUDE to the workers. They don't answer any of the calls to the register in a timely manner. Over half the people that work there get zero hours week after week. If you can find somewhere else that will hire you, go there cause this job is BAD!!!!!
Pros
Cons
No hours, rude management, favoritism
I enjoy working with my co workers.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 9, 2016
A typical day at work includes stocking the floor,dealing with customers,ringing sales and other duties as directed by management. When i served as Head Cashier I learned how to handle irate customers better. Management and co workers are easy to get along with. Hardest part of job is dealing with difficult customers but we can usually resolve issues through teamwork. I like the people i work with.
Pros
Good teamwork.
Cons
Not enough pay or benefits for part timers.
Stay away if possible.
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Dillon, SCJuly 24, 2016
Job is dangerous due to lots of power driven equipment going by you hundreds of times a day. Heavy freight falls over frequently. Management only cares about one thing and one thing only; get the trucks loaded. A lot of ex-cons are hired almost daily. Some of the worst language you would ever expect to hear and a lot of it comes from managers. Its not a fit place to work.
Pros
The exit side of the parking lot.
Cons
Dangerous
Generally fun place to work, but hard to survive on given unavailability of full time positions.
Warehouse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Belton, MOJune 26, 2016
Interaction with customers and usually co-workers is pleasant, and processing freight is easy enough provided the truck shows up on time, which it never does since we changed trucking companies. Averages about eighteen hours a week in my case, and Belton's three full-time employees get about forty-five, which frankly is terrible, but we seem to find a way to afford lunch.
Not that great in my opinion
associate/ Cashier/ Freight Crew (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 10, 2016
I was on freight crew and we worked 1000 pcs plus of freight twice a week people on freight at the time felt like family it was everyone around us (management , morning crew, the managers etc.) that always had an issue, it was my first job but still for the year i was there wasn't the best time I've had for a job for the amount i was getting paid.
Pros
people were close
Cons
management was sneaky and suspicious
Not a good company..
Retail cashier (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 18, 2016
Harbor freight at first was amazing. I loved it. Til I asked for a weekend off cause of personal business. And I even talked to the store manager and he still scheduled me then j talk to a manager and he switched the day for me. Then called and asked the next day I work and (not gonna mention his name) said okay from this time to this time and I went in there and the manager asked what I was doing and I'm confused like I'm here to work. Comes to find out he read a different schedule and then I had the whole week off. They said they will call me in. Yet no call. So I applied every where else and I left that place. I wanted somewhere where I can grow stay there for a few years but no. I never thought I would leave here and here I am. I work full time now.
Pros
Good first start
Cons
Horrible scheduling
Fast paced work makes the day go by
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJune 21, 2016
however, while the work is rewarding and the team members are usually good to work with, the management of HFT needs some serious recalibrating. They are far to focused on HOW things get done and not IF they get done. The Great Lakes District Manager is so worried about the way his stores look that they suffer in the performance category because his store managers are so worried about making it look good. Otherwise its an all right place to work, it just needs a tune up.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Neurotic Management
Great benefits and career opportunity
Front end Manager, Merchandising Manager, Pricing (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 29, 2016
A typical day at work was Managing sales, Inventory Control, Store Presentation, Sales adds and Managing employees with superior customer service skills and keeping track of store deposits and to ensure the store had the correct change and funds in the safe at all times. Everything about this job was enjoyable.
Pros
Bonuses and great benefits
Cons
Short breakes
Fun workplace with great coworkers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 9, 2016
Responsibilities included customer service, problem solving, retail checkout, cash counting, tidying store, etc. I enjoyed customers and co- workers. I was awarded a leadership star for taking initiative and working effectively. Being a cashier was, in my opinion, the best way to achieve a greater understanding on what providing great customer service takes.
Pros
Lunch breaks
Cons
healthcare
Harbor Freight Tools
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOJune 26, 2016
Sales floor work such as customer service, price coordinating, stocking shelves and cashiering. I learned how to price coordinate and cashier. Management was a unstable. Co-workers were enjoyable and a plus about the job. The job was fairly easy and not very difficult. The most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers and being able to help customers.
Pros
Co-workers, customer service.
A day at the workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAAugust 8, 2016
A typical day at Harbor Freight would be filled with lots of laughter, interacting with the customers. Sometime there might be people that come in the store that you have not seen in years, or there may be people that come into the store and you meet them for the first time. Working at Harbor Freight was a fun and interesting job. There was no Pros or Cons on the job. Everyone was treated equal.
Call Center Operator (Former Employee) –  Dillon, SCJune 4, 2016
We work very hard at Harbor Freight with heavy inbound calls I learned how to handle any type situation that came along with the customer's management was great also if I had any problems they were there on the spot to help out and the co-workers were the best. I still have many friends from Harbor Freight.. The hardest part of the job was when I left the company. Most enjoyable part of the job would helping customer's from all over the united states and making sure the customer were satisfied.
Pros
Great friends
Cons
When I left the company
Head Pricing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOAugust 24, 2016
Typical day at HFT checking pricing and pick tickets for merchandise. Filling my areas to keep well stocked. and POG's needing done.
Management changes a lot.
Co-workers are friendly and great customer service.
The hardest part of the job would be staying on top for audit/POG reports in district.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be staying busy.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
hours
Wonderful place to work, enjoyed my time there
Head Cashier/Manager (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJuly 25, 2016
This work environment was really great. I got to see new faces as well as some of the same people as in our regular customers became first name basis and enjoying the people and the company. I really enjoyed working here the 3 yrs I was here.
Pros
Working with the people i did and learning new skills
Cons
Sometimes the hours are exhausting but it was worth it
Company is a joke.
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  SCMay 31, 2016
My store manager was a very nice guy, but the rest of the management? I've never seen a management team this bad, no people skills and oozing favoritism.

You're told that if you're a "top performer" that you'll get more hours. Well what is the criteria to be a top performer because I've asked and was given the run around. In the end you'll work yourself to the bone only to have your hours cut and when you ask for more hours they'll say "can't sales are low" then why are you hiring people?

There are good people here but the company is trash. Their process for offloading a truck is an example of how disorganized this company this.
overall good workplace
Equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAMay 31, 2016
replenishing and putting away pallets is a typical day

i learned to advance my equipment operating skills

management was not so good they spend to much of their time in the office and not on the work floor

co-workers were good people

hardest part of the job is when pallets fall and you have to get off your equipment to pick them up

most enjoyable part of the job is your on your equipment your whole shift
Pros
company town hall updates
Harber Freight Tools
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 24, 2016
Harber Freight tools was challenging because you had to know a lot of tools and know what they do just in case if a customer asks but i learned a lot, different tools, what every tools does so that was the hardest thing about working their but i learned fast. once i learned work was much easier and i loved helping customer and explaining how they work so they get the best satisfaction. Management was really friendly, they were so flexible with your shift.
Fun and motivating
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAJune 11, 2016
Typical day at work varies depending on your department and your skill set. Learning curve varies once again depending on department. The management always seem to be trying out different systems even when they have a working system in place, they'll either change back or move on to something completely different. Communication about these things isn't always clear and can lead to confusion on the dock area. Co-workers are pretty easy going and will always lend a hand should you need it. Hardest part of the job is at the end of the day when all of the product is getting processed and they're trying to rush you to get finished but they also say don't rush too fast because you've to still be safe.
Pros
Free lunch every 30days safe
Cons
Dangerous and unpredictable workplace at times
poor management, low pay, mostly friendly co-workers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North Olmsted, OHMay 23, 2016
Store here is poorly stocked. Management seems focused on opening yet another poorly managed store in near future.
Training is mostly self-training. Management hands you a piece of paper and tells you to do what is described.
Management hangs out in their office most of the day doing very little.
Ordering is a worse story. Store is rarely fully stocked. Large shipment comes in every Friday. Unfortunately it is usually full of a lot of things which we already have.
The things we don't have are usually backordered.
This company is totally backwards.
Do not go to work for this company.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
bad management includes low stock and angry customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8