Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 1,258 reviews matching the search
Good Company Alright People
Logistics Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Palatka, FLFebruary 4, 2017
Very busy, consent going.
I've learned a lot actually on how to do certain things with the company, pricing, knowledge of product. More of cash handling.
The management can be up and down. Can be there for you when needed in work life & understanding, but has a hard time separating home life with work life.
Workplace culture- busy, depending on attitudes can be fun, easy going or can be very stiff and hard to handle.
Hardest part is communication, or lack of. Handling some customers at times..
I am always worried I'm going to be fired.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wyoming, PAFebruary 9, 2017
Every day is a struggle.
Not enough time for any task to get properly done and then if not done in allotted time you get told you are cutting corners and slacking off by your higher ups. Very poor training atmosphere. Every day the staff worries if they will get written up for trival things or if they will even have a job the following day. You get told one thing when they bring you on board and blindside you with another. I have a great wharehouse manager but they put way too much stress on him and I'm worried he will quit.
Pros
If you need a day off you usually get it.
Great Job & Pay, Not so good management or employees.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Southgate, MIJanuary 24, 2017
This is a great place to make money hourly and commission base pay, easily learned the product and sold warranties to make extra money. Repetitious pitches to customers made working easy. BUT...The employees and management was HORRIBLE...older employees become jealous when your sales are higher than there's. Myself being new to the team realized very fast that these people did not like new employees or change and worked ways to get me fired. the small amount of employees that we're team players should of had raises and had more knowledge of the business than the managers.
Pros
paid vacation and sick time, good pay.
Cons
poor management, favorite other employees, gossip.
productive and fun environment
Cahier (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 26, 2017
Working at Harbor Freight has been enjoyable the staff always trys to make every ones job more enjoyable. The hardest part of the job is probably when we get really busy during our parking lot sales and the lines get really backed up even though everyone is on the register but customers still get mad that they arent getting out of there with their product fast enough. But besides that its a great job.
Pros
free lunch sometimes in the break room
Cons
you only get a 30 min lunch break
Fun place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Corona, CAFebruary 12, 2017
fun and relaxed workplace yet always on top of everything that needs to get done. Great work environment with awesome associates.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INFebruary 20, 2017
Awesome workplace environment. Great associates with amazing attitudes. Great customer service skills. Always ready and willing to help out customers whenever needed. Loved working for harbor freight because it was a great place to be employed. Everyone was ready to give a helping hand as needed. No one judged you on anything you may have done wrong.
Decent benefits and hours
Retail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJanuary 26, 2017
Harbor Freight is not the best place for everyone, they aggressively push their paid membership and if you can't sell enough of them to meet goal, you get punished. They did offer benefits to part time employees however, not many places do. The hours were decent but only if you were good at selling the memberships would you get more hours.
Pros
paid vacation and sick leave
Cons
short breaks, aggressive sales tactics, bad management
Enjoyable
Senior Logistics Associate (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJanuary 3, 2017
Day consisted of assisting customers, filling homes for product, loading merchandise for customers
I learned about the products we were selling and what items sold most frequently
Management was approachable and willing to help when needed
There was a strong team of people there I enjoyed working with
The hardest part of the job was when work slowed down and all the tasks of the day were finished
Staying busy and dealing with customers, answering their questions and leaving them with a positive experience
Great place for advancement and compensation
Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEJanuary 18, 2017
Harbor Freight is a company that is constantly growing and people who show their worth and work hard will be promoted, and paid accordingly. I have gained so much knowledge and confidence while working for Harbor Freight and truly value everything I've learned from the company; to help make me a better manager and employee in my next career.
Pros
Compensated well, and a room for advancement
There's always something to do
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Tupelo, MSDecember 28, 2016
What you do for the day depends on what shift you're on. Morning shift you do inventory, pull products from the warehouse, stock them on shelves. Help the customers with customer service and carryout. Sunday night you unload a truck to prepare for the next week and restock the entire store.
The most enjoyable part of this job was making people smile.
They coworkers all got along. The managers for the most part were nice.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Different shifts
HFT is too cheap for its own good!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Calabasas, CADecember 18, 2016
The Corp Leadership Team is either blind to what is going on or they don't care. Most people will leave within two years of coming to work here. Most people are not given the facts of what they are coming into prior to being hired or once you get hired leaders will go back on what they committed. The "values" that HFT talks about are not followed by those at the top. Everyone that I know, working here, are looking for another job.
Pros
Free coffee in every breakroom
Cons
Penny pinching in every other way!
It's cool and all but hours can be redicouls
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  2100 Lebanon pk Nashville tnJanuary 30, 2017
Cool but hours can be bad and turn over is the worst. Some of my managers are really cool my store manager can be mean but you get threw. It's cool and all but I don't make enough to have my back pulled two times for improper team lift and if management you will get yelled at on a daily
Pros
Cool people, laid back, easish
Cons
Still has its heavy lifting, get ready to be chewed out for everything
Great advancement opportunities
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 2, 2017
There is much room for advancement quickly. You have to work hard and become a subject matter expert and be willing to work crazy hours and handle an unstable, unsteady work force. Teamwork is a must. Develop yourself and your subordinates and you will do fine.
Pros
Discount, generous PTO, great benefits
Cons
Little training (mostly OJT), Mangement can be undependable, Normal retail
safety, dirty
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 10, 2017
The problem here is the location. the particular store i worked at could flood during heavy rain, there was very little space to safely store product in the warehouse, and the store had high turnover so that there were very few people to do the work needed. The store was supposed to have 25 employees and it has never had more than 12 or less including management. The store manager did two things only. He either was on a call or loaded product into customers cars. He may have planned out merchandise locations in the store, but beyond that he was an over paid lot associate. The store had horrible plumbing, flooding, and customers were allowed to spit chew on the flood. This made the whole place smell 24/7.
Pros
food on over night shifts, job security
Cons
dangerous warehouse, understaffed, low pay
Hard working but fun enviorment
Senior Associate of logistics (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYDecember 12, 2016
A typical day at work consist of either unloading a truck that consist of anywhere from 10000 to 15000 pounds to stocking the shelves properly for store openings. My co-workers are mostly energetic and pretty pleasant to work around. The hardest part of my job is staying up all night. the most enjoyable part was the look on customers faces when I can help them work thru whatever projects they may have.
Pros
Corney job parties down to earth co-workers laid back work enviorment
Cons
Half hour braks being swamped with a unbearable amount of work and disgruntale employeesA
Hard work. Gives you that sense of accomplishment at the end of the night.
Logistics Crew (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDDecember 12, 2016
A usual shift is from 6pm to 2am to unload and sort the product from the truck. The biggest thing to learn from this job is organizational skills from stocking shelves and putting away overstock in the adjacent warehouse in a timely and neat manner. Management is top notch. From being able to goof off a bit to coaching and helping the crew get through the night. I'd say the hardest part of the job is trying to help customers with questions when you still haven't fully grasped the layout of the store. Or with questions about a certain tool you have never used before.
Pros
Employee Discounts, Comfortable Enviroment
Cons
Late Hours, Part-Time position
Great place to work but not enough pay
Associate logistics (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 19, 2017
I really liked working with tools and my co workers were great but the pay was unlivable. uh hello... foodstamps? Some of the management were super lazy and would dump the work on us underlings. I like this companies goal and overall vision but will be glad to get a better paying job.
Pros
great people, customers and product prices
Cons
pay, lack of benefits, management played games
Great job with questionable management practices
SENIOR SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IADecember 9, 2016
Management in this place is a joke. Men got paid more than women for the same job(s). Loved my customers, the work I did, my coworkers (non-management) and the money I made but the managerial atmosphere was a complete and utter mess. My employment was abruptly terminated due to an issue for which the company cannot provide proof.
Pros
Earn PTO, Possibility of commission payments
Very nice place to work at.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 11, 2016
This place was very nice, friendly and helpful in all areas of job site.
Management was one of the best I ever worked for, and opportunities all the time. We all work together, as a team like it should be. There were hardly a bad day at this place and we all loved it. We were more than co-workers, we were family! I really miss this place.
Pros
They took care of their employees.
Cons
Healthcare was not that great.
Pretty good for a start
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAFebruary 14, 2017
I had my first job here. The place is often hiring, so the management and the employees are willing to help a new hire out, especially if one makes the effort to learn. The place is pretty good at preparing one for subsequent jobs, because one will get experience in a little bit of everything. The schedule can highly variable, but they worked with me on my hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9