Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc.

Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc. Employee Reviews

No perks, crazy upper management, bad pay
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  TxFebruary 9, 2016
When I first started here, was cool. I accepted the low pay because I truly liked the job and my co workers. My immediate manager and co manager were cool and approachable; they didn't allow any drama while at work. Then their came the slacking co workers, favoritism, and iffy supervisors. There was also an air of racism. They already had their minds made up who would be assistant to the head cashier, and who wouldn't. More people quit in one week then most workers on other jobs did in a year.
The last straw came when upper management came to direct the opening of a new store: they were rude, contemptuous, back biting, and disorganized. They would instruct you to do one thing, then turn around and tell you NOT to do it. I had to go to my manager several times to complain about their insults, bad attitudes, and raised voices.
Too many co workers there also wanted to be managers and supervisors. How many does it take to run one store? Horrible.
Pros
Cool immediate manager, fun enviroment (in the beginning), laid back atmosphere, nice co workers
Cons
Terrible pay, upper management stinks, racism, favortism, disorganized, high turnover, hardly any hours
Calm work environment with outgoing employees
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Dillon, SCFebruary 9, 2016
The day consisted of clear uniformed approach to customer service. All while maintaining a clean and productive work environment.
The most enjoyable part of this job were the relationship and team cohesiveness with fellow employees.
The hardest aspect of this job had to be the salary that came with the position.
The most enjoyable part of the job was that I enjoy customer service and helping people. So it gave me the opportunity to fill other peoples needs.
Pros
THE ABILITY TO ASSIST CUSTOMERS AND THE WORK ENVIRONMENT.
Cons
THE SALARY
Great working experience
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 8, 2016
clock in review my daily task for the day.
each day I learn something new on our daily down load which is our task and understands more of the company .
Store management is great very outgoing and give great advice.
All co-workers are very respectful and have are great a help.
Hardest part of my job is probably is making sure my area is clean.
Most enjoyable is having a amazing and different customers come in the store and ask questions about us.
Pros
commission
Cons
short break
exciting
Cashier and Salesperson (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCFebruary 7, 2016
loved learning and interacting with others. learned and found out things that I have never knew about tools and very exciting place to work at.
Fun fast paced work environment
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Clifton, COFebruary 3, 2016
great place to learn the basics of warehouse work, easy going laid back co-workers, hardest part is the lack of hours enjoyable part is working working with different customers daily
Pros
easy fast paced friendly environment
Cons
poor hours
Workplace was blase
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saddle Brook, NJFebruary 2, 2016
It was repetitive and I didn't feel respected as an employee or a person.

People easily take advantage of other people working and slack off.

Most enjoyable part of the day was getting to interact with customers.
If you like being unorganized.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJanuary 30, 2016
Shedules were horrible, never got out on time, management was always fighting with eachother, the place is never clean or organized. lets just stop there.
Pros
Cons
everything
Love my job
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Dunkirk, NYJanuary 30, 2016
I love my job working in the warehouse! Wish I could get more than 5 hours every week or every other week. When hired was told minimum of 15 hours.
Pros
Great customers and discount.
Cons
No hours
Crazy and Cool
Price Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Corona, CAJanuary 29, 2016
Your always busy! There's always something to do and never a dull moment.
You have your regular customers and then your not so friendly customers. Shoplifters love this store and we offer free items!!!
The best part is working with great people!
Pros
Commission from extended plans
Cons
breaks and lunches are never as scheduled
Easy and flexible place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  North Syracuse, NYJanuary 27, 2016
A typical day at Harbor Freight Tools is smooth and easy. This store seems to be busy most days, so there is very little down time. Keeping busy makes the time go by fast. My least favorite part of the job is cleaning. Every night there is a lot of cleaning that gets done.
Pros
Work schedule
Cons
No health benefits
Sales
Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 26, 2016
Good Company. Good Management. Hardest part is selling.Overall good company. Co-workers are fine, but everyone has there own personality. I have learned how to fully interact with customers.Most enjoyable part would be returning customers acknowledge you and the great choices you helped them make. I hope this review helps in your decision making or interview process
thievery
warehouse (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAJanuary 25, 2016
I currently work at harbor freight, and the hours are not there, and one of the checkers stole money from me, and lied about it. Avoid at all costs. Slumlord company.
Pros
Cons
management seems like they don't care about what goes on.
avoid at all costs
Warehouse/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 22, 2016
The corporate structure at the freight only allows for a tiny handful of people to work near full time (34-38 hours). all the other workers are only going to get 15-25 hours a week. The morale is depressing and the work is hard. They have metrics that must be met on the register and breathe fire down your neck if you aren't meeting them. You have to constantly pester people for their phone# and address. And you are constantly being measured on how many warranty's you sell per hour and get grilled if you dont meet their standard. The tools are cheap and constantly break down and fail so you have to deal with irritated people all day. Working in the warehouse also isn't a picnic . It is a disorganized mess and constantly poses a safety threat. It is literally bursting at the seams with boxes and you have to constantly move heavy dirty half ripped boxes around just to get to what you need while playing hop scotch over boxes that litter the floor. Keep in mind that these observations occurred during my time there. It is possible that improvements have been made.
Pros
its close to a great restaurant that makes the best gyros
Cons
too many to list
Physical Work
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 22, 2016
The day usually started off at 5:30 a.m. to offload new merchandise into the warehouse where it was scanned and then distributed to the storefront. One truck usually held thousands of items, some of them weighing hundreds of pounds. I quickly learned tools and products that I wasn't familiar with and the locations of these in the storefront to better help customers. I generally had one or two coworkers that helped me organize and clean the warehouse. Keeping all of the product separate in order to find it when necessary proved to be a challenge. My immediate supervisor was always there to give me advice or answer any questions. After my shift was finished, it was amazing to see how much we had stocked and organized in a short time making it easier for the employees and customers to find what they need.
Pros
Good workout, Great supervisors, learned new things about tools
Cons
Insurance could have been better
Great Customers and Work Environment
Cashier, Taking (Current Employee) –  Lima, OHJanuary 22, 2016
Overall, I love the customers that come in, the environment is good, management is not as organized and helpful when needed or issues come about. On a normal work day, I am greeted when I walk in sometimes depending who is working that day. I head back to the lockers where I grab my name tag and put away my purse and phone. Then I go to the time clock and clock in, there I read the daily download of what is going on for the day and sales. Then if I am closing that night, I go to our electrical room where we store cleaning supplies and broom. I take that to the front where I relieve the cashier for that shift. I take over taking care of customers, answering phones, calling back for product that customers are wanting that are to big for them to carry, straighten up end caps of aisles, front facing product so it can be seen, and daily cleaning that is required to be done before shift is done. The hardest part of my job is getting customers to add protection plans on their products or having them join our membership program.
Pros
customers are excellent
Cons
management and employees
Productive and very organized,
Warehouse Associate, Stock, Unload (Former Employee) –  Palm Springs, FLJanuary 21, 2016
Harbor Freight was a great place to work, good environment. Liked the management and would most definitely work there again.
Pros
Part-Time benefits
Cons
Some hours were odd hours
Fun place to work
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Dillon, SCJanuary 21, 2016
Harbor Freight was a great and exciting place to work, I learned a lot about different packing and tools. The coworkers and management was very nice and easy to talk to.
Productive and friendly work environment
Cashier and Assistant Pricing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJanuary 21, 2016
Work is very fast paced with friendly co workers and management that will work with you. I learned how to exhibit great customer service as well as salesmanship basics. The hardest part of the job was the heavy lifting but making the customers happy even made that somewhat enjoyable. My favorite part of the job was getting to interact with my customers.
Pros
Friendly Environmen
Cons
Short Breaks
Great place to grow.
Cashier/Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAJanuary 20, 2016
Got a lot of experience working here. Its a great place to learn and grow and get experience. You can learn in every department.
Harbor Freight Tools
Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 19, 2016
I enjoyed working here I was averaging about 20 hours per weeks and I got paid by-weekly I stopped working here because I found a better opportunity.