Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc. Employee Reviews

No career advancement
Store Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CADecember 15, 2017
If you are a opinionated person this is not the place to work. They want manager that put there head in the sand and just do what is told of them. If you have question, comments, keep them to your self upper management doesn't want to hear about it. Career advancement is not based off what you bring to the team or the results you deliver but who you know and who likes you.
Is A mess and the Management are bullies and clueless
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hillsborough County, FLDecember 14, 2017
If your seeking growth and advancement from this place save yourself time and trouble and move on. Most stores within this company are in very ghetto areas and trashy strip malls. If you will like to be overworked and under paid to meet Management 's bonus quotas by selling "ESPs and sign customers up to be harassed with a flooded storm of emails and coupons and become ITC member for $29.99 a year, so Managements bonus can keep on track and increase their pockets while you work on call Part-time hours. Then Harbor Freight Tools is your calling. Other than that stay clear of this place at all cost, if you enjoy not being stressed out daily.
Pros
Always an opening for a new employee, because of the amount of people who quit
Cons
No work balance, short breaks, slow promotions and lack of proper training
Friendly
Logistics Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 13, 2017
Its a fun and friendly environment to work for. They have a awesome paid time off programs.company really cares about its employees and family.i would recommend this work.
Terrible & Toxic Work Environment
Logistics Associate (Former Employee) –  Littleton, CODecember 12, 2017
This was a part-time job. I was employed as a Logistics Associate. Our main duties were to safely unload weekly truck shipments, distribute merchandise to the sales floor, stock the warehouse and assist customers who needed help. We were also expected to sweep and clean the store, assemble shelving when necessary and on occasion set up tables for outdoor tent sales. In short, there was always work for the "logistics" group to do. Cannot say, from what I experienced, the same for the other main group the "sales" people-who BTW were paid the same.

Problem was that our store was grossly undermanned and store management was weak at the top. This put a high workload on a small crew of logistics people who did the bulk of physical work at the store. Standing your entire shift-with breaks-but nonetheless constantly moving medium to heavy freight from truck or warehouse shelves, up and down ladders was the norm. It wasn't rare to be carrying a heavy item and being stopped by a customer who needed assistance. The bulk of queries being "where can I find?." If they had just looked up and read the large print signs that were clearly marked "Screwdrivers" when they first walked in it would have made my day.

The workplace culture was fun at times, I mean you had to laugh out load somedays. Logistics people had to have a sense of humor. We worked weird hours, early morning, evening and even through the wee hours--all in the same week and for the same miserable pay, with no shift differential. Not laughing about that. Like I said we were grossly undermanned and this just
  more... wore you down.

There was an extremely high turnover rate here at the store. Some people, managers included quitting right in the middle of their shifts. Yep, it was something to witness, almost laughable.

From what I see, people come and go here. If you want a career, forget about this place. But if you need to find a temp job, choose sales and not logistics.
Pros
Discounted tools
Cons
Job
Avoid
Full Time Employee (Former Employee) –  Calabasas, CADecember 9, 2017
Micromanaging beyond belief.
Incompetent management.
Zero recognition or positive feedback.
Consistently negative archaic biannual performance reviews.
No advancement whatsoever.
Pay raises in ten cent increments every couple of years.

If you're a professional who is good at what you do, run away from this place.
Pros
Good medical
Cons
Everything else
Decent first job but poor management
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLDecember 8, 2017
Harbor freight tools is a very fast paced environment. There was always a line of customers. I unfortunately had very poor management most definitely the worst management I've ever had. Its also very dirty and no matter how many times you mop the floors it will always stay disgusting. A typical day at work would be standing for 8 or less hours with consistent customers. If other people are working you can have a 15. Not all customers a friendly, smell good, and speak English. Then after the store closes you have cleaning duties. The only enjoyable part of the job was that I had friends who worked there with me.
Pros
easy to get hired, no drug testing
Cons
busy, dirty, poor management
Fun times!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CADecember 7, 2017
I learned a lot about being a CASHIER and understanding how to communicate with customers. I had to sell memberships. We were more worried about selling warranties for the products they buy.
Pros
Learned a lot.
Cons
Rude boss
Great company with a lot of room for improvement
Management (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PADecember 7, 2017
Harbor Freight tools has a business plan that can not be matched, although they have shied away from an overall fantastic approach to more big box store. I loved my time with them although my time came to a close very fast due to a poor district manager
Difficult to plan social events
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WADecember 6, 2017
Hours are random, often 8 hrs between shifts for full time employees as well as part time. Often work is scheduled both day and night shifts in same week. Little tolerance for calling in sick. Runs on a point system. Very little consideration for prior experience in business. Entirely run by corporate decisions, no room for ideas.Two days closed per year, Christmas and New Years.

Wonderful company for customers. Very easy to return items, replace items, etc. Very easy for customers to take advantage of the company through there free items, exchanges, replacements, etc. Prices and sales are amazing.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Employee scheduling
Heavy and fast paced at times
Warehouse/Driver (Former Employee) –  Bricktown, NJDecember 6, 2017
Overnight hours. It was necessary for the job. Offload trucks, put inventory away in receiving/warehouse, fill inventory on shelves. Help customers with finding products and questions about merchandise.
Pros
Free workouts, no need for gym.
Cons
Little advancement, sometimes weird hours.
good if just starting to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Auburndale, FLDecember 5, 2017
cashier, help customers, stock shelf's, unload truck, operate forklift, sell programs, was a good place to learn about tools and equipment, good job for just starting out in the work field or for a student going through school
December 7, 2017

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us at Harbor Freight Tools! We wish you the very best in your future career goals.

Logistics Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Littleton, NHDecember 5, 2017
Great people working there, but very demanding on you and you body. Did not like closing one night and then being back to open in the morning. A typical day consisted of getting there 2 or 3 hours before opening and using a list of items sold the day before to fill the store foe the day. At night, you will face and flush and clean.
December 7, 2017

Thank you so much for providing such detailed feedback about your experience with Harbor Freight Tools. We appreciate the hard work you did while with our team in Littleton. Best of luck in your career journey!

Harbor frieght tools
Customer Service Associate / Retail Cashier (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 5, 2017
One of the best places to work for. The teamwork is awesome and everyone in some way does enjoy their job. With that being said the job isn't an easy one and can be stressful when short-staffed.
Pros
Great teamwork. Great work environment.
Cons
Stressful
December 7, 2017

We appreciate you sharing your feedback, we strive for continuous improvement in staffing and all areas of our retail. Thank you so much for your hard work in Memphis, and we wish you the very best in your future career goals!

Tool retail store
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSDecember 5, 2017
A typical day here is that you will either be a cashier or on the sales floor stocking and assisting the customers that walk in. Management is ok. Most enjoyable thing about this job is meeting new people and getting paid incentives for selling the protecting plan on the tools.
Pros
incentives for selling the protection plans on the tools
Cons
none maybe standing on your feet
December 7, 2017

Thanks so much for your feedback. Harbor Freight Tools works continuously to improve and deliver excellence at every level of employment. We wish you the best in your future career goals!

Harbor Freight is good for people that need it
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 4, 2017
If all you need is a job, then Harbor Freight is it. You could even set your sights on advancement. Its easy enough to get promoted, but the people in upper management can be real hinderances to staying long term.
Pros
Good time off acrual
Cons
Bad bad management
December 5, 2017

Great work place with lots of security
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Dillon, SCDecember 4, 2017
A typical workday at Harbor Freight was basically stressful but fun. Management made sure that they started off the day with some type of incentive to boost our moral and to encourage us to reach our goals for the day and then some. During my time at Harbor Freight I learned how to work hard to reach my individual goals on a daily basis. The workplace was very comfortable and it was also very loud. The hardest part of this job for me was keeping up with the changes. There were a lot of times when we were told one thing to do for the day and next day we would be told not to continue to do what we were told the day before but to do something different. Those times were the most stressful for me. The most enjoyable part of this job for me was the training that I received before going out on the floor. I enjoyed the trainer and the training because it was very informational and well taught.
Pros
Everyday incentives
Cons
Weekly changes
December 5, 2017

Thank you so much for providing such detailed feedback about your experience with Harbor Freight Tools. We are happy to provide a workplace that educates and trains its associates and prepares them for larger growth. We wish you the best in your future career journey!

Fast paced, Knowledgeable, friendly
Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Montclair, CANovember 30, 2017
Harbor freight was quick paced environment filled with friendly co-workers and communication. Management was nice and helped with any situation that was needed.

Good place to work.
Logistics Associate (Current Employee) –  Victoria, TXNovember 29, 2017
Harbor Freight is a good place to work, if you're looking for a second job. They don't give many hours, so it'll work with your other job. The downside is the 8.50 pay rate. Other than that mot a bad job.
Pros
Paid time off as part time
Cons
Low pay
December 4, 2017

Thank you so much for providing your feedback, and we are happy you're a part of our family in Victoria, TX!

warehouse/cashier
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VANovember 29, 2017
A typical day would be assisting customers in purchasing merchandise. Customer service heavy with poor wages and a big diverse staff. Hardest part of the job was working nights in the warehouse.
December 4, 2017

Thank you so much for your hard work in Manassas, and we wish you the very best in your future career goals! Harbor Freight Tools is committed to continuous improvement, which your feedback is going to help us continue to do.

good place to work good management
Merchandiser/warehouse (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXNovember 29, 2017
good environment only wish there wood be full time positions, good management and good team work, and also I liked to work there in the evenings or at night, plus I got to meet a lot of interesting people.
December 4, 2017

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9