Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc.

Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc. Employee Reviews

Pretty good plce to work, decent pay and good benefits
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee), NCAugust 5, 2015
Pros: Decent job/ pay/benefits, if your a manager
Cons: cashier or team members have a pretty bad job, not good pay or benefits
Is really only worth it if you are in a management position, they will give you full time usually almost 40 hours a week AFTER lunch breaks so no lost time there, they give a standard %5 pay increase every – more... year review as long as your doing a good job.
If you are anything other than management, forget it, you will barely get part time hours, bad pay, and no benefits. But if you are management, its pretty good, I banked about 150 PTO hours in a about a year and a half – less
Harbor freight experience
APAC Customer Service (Former Employee), North HoustonAugust 4, 2015
A typical day at Harbor freight would be greeting customers prompt warranties for customers with warrantied items. I would also ring up customers and thank then for shopping. I also conditioned the store and put items away.
Productive pros and cons
member of management (Current Employee), orlando florida1August 4, 2015
Pros: benefits fun customers
Cons: reprimanded for name capture
fun place to work but there is a lot of script to be memorized and a lot of responsibilities. Management likes to do PMR's for everything.
getting to know the people that work there and customers
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee), Casper, WYAugust 4, 2015
I learned that there are companys that feed our marketing chain and that everyone works together to sale merchandise and keep customers happy
Productive and safety environment
Auditor (Former Employee), Dillon, SCAugust 3, 2015
I learned how to check skus and quantities on boxes and labels to determine and audit products that where being shipped out. We practiced several work safety tips. The hardest part of my job was works 12 hours a day sometime. I really enjoyed working with my co workers to complete a task.
Sales
Cashier greeted (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 1, 2015
Busy work place opened and closed
management ok at the time I worked there
Safety first
friendly customers and coworkers
Great place to work, especially for students.
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee), Pueblo, COAugust 1, 2015
Pros: During parking lot sales and over night shifts, store manager provides food.
Cons: If you need a full time job, you need to be in a management position.
Harbor Freight is a great place to work. Very flexible on hours, especially for students and parents. Work day consists of replenishing product, interacting with customers and clean up. The management team is very sensitive to each individuals needs.
Busy and Positive
Cashier (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Socially Open Management
Cons: Nothing aside from the abrupt end.
They always had something for me to do or learn how to do. On top of that, they were understanding when a mistake was made. Overall it was a very up-beat and welcoming work place. Definitely a learning – more... experience, spanning from resume filler to social skills. I learned everything from how to properly unload a truck to how to run a register and answer phones according to company policy. It gave me an opportunity to exercise my social skills with a wide variety of customers and it softened up all of the edges in my conversational skills. – less
Harbor Freight is a great place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXJuly 29, 2015
Employer with great advancement potential if your willing to relocate. Company is still trying to find itself and management styles differ greatly by region and district.
warehouse
warehouse (Current Employee), Lemon Grove, CAJuly 25, 2015
Pros: losing weight
Cons: low pay
I have to unload trucks. I also have to stock the floor, and put away overstock. Have to scan totes. Work the freight. this company isn't the best. I want to leave that's why Im looking for a better job
Job sucks
Receiving Associate/Salesman (Current Employee), Hattiesburg, MSJuly 24, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Everything but PTO
Pay is terrible and management is beyond idiotic.
Truck day is long and barely any breaktime. Low hours because management wants a big bonus.
Only good benefit is Part time employee earn PTO fast.
poor
Stocker, picker (Former Employee), Moreno Valley, CAJuly 22, 2015
Pros: good hours
Cons: management
When I work at Harbor Freight I worked through an agency, I would pick and stock. I learned to use a RF scanner and how to pick orders. The management wasn’t that good. They have favorites and it wasn’t – more... enjoyable to work there at all. My coworkers were fun to work with and talk too. The hardest part of the job was the begging because the warehouse had just opened and we didn’t have any product to ship or stock. I didn’t really enjoy working at this warehouse. – less
Daily workload as an Operations Assistant Store Manager
Operations Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Muncie, INJuly 22, 2015
Pros: closed early around 7pm
Cons: all tasks were off hours
managed 20-25 employees, P&L, schedules, assigning tasks, opening/closing of the store, direct hire/fire, ordering products, shipping/receiving, daily/yearly inventory.
Fun place to work. Great Customers.
Cashier (Former Employee), Mesa, AzJuly 22, 2015
Pros: Learning about the different tools they carry.
Cons: The distance I had to travel to get there.
Upon arriving at work I usually tried to get my extra duties out of the way before getting on my register. On days when I was one of the opening cashiers there were always a lot of things to get done – more... before opening the doors. The training lasted a couple of days and was very hands on, via the computer. There is also a tutorial of sorts accessible from your cash register if you need it. The management is very approachable and if you're having any difficulties they do all they can to help resolve them. They also offer access to a computer in the office in the event you want to refresh your training.
I wasn't employed there long enough to get anything other than my initial probationary review, and that went alright.
The other people I worked with on the floor were fun yet professional and took a great deal of pride in the store and what the customers thought of it.
There are several times a year that they have parking lot sales. We all worked hard setting things up and keeping an eye on things during the sale. The one's that happened while I was there were very successful and everyone worked together really well.
I was terminated, but it happened because of a misunderstanding. We had just gotten a new store manager and he didn't know any of us yet so when everything went down the way it did, he did what was company policy and I was let go. The company policy allows for 3 shortages or overages on your drawer in a 6 month period. You receive write-ups for each, and if there is a forth during the 6 months, you get written up and it's reported to corporate in California. It is then up to them what happens to you. Usually you're terminated. On this particular day, a customer came in returning some jacks and jack stands. First he went to one of the other registers but that cashier didn't have enough money to do the return, so he came to me. I did the return, but mistakenly returned the lesser expensive merchandise. My manager noticed my mistake and came to correct it for me. That, in and of itself wasn't a big deal. After he finished he told me not to forget to have my supervisor void the first return. Otherwise my drawer wouldn't balance. I would be almost $40.00 over. We got busy and I did forget to have him take care of it and we left together at the end of shift.
The next day when I came into work my new store manager called me in and gave me my write up. Unfortunately, he had already sent it in to corporate. Had he known me, he would have probably waited until he talked to me first and it would have been straightened out without involving corporate. I understand that he was simply following policy. The Assistant Manager offered to explain the situation to corporate but I told him it was ok. I was already looking for a job closer to home that paid more, so I just let it go. – less
Sales of both product and service
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee), Lansing, MIJuly 20, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job was working directly with the many hundreds of customers I grew friendly with in my ten years of employment with Harbor Freight.
great place to work if you love tools and working with your hands
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee), Wheat Ridge, COJuly 20, 2015
very fair managers, very helpful co workers, alot of co worker drama amongst one another a little bit of scheduling issues but nothing to bad.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee), Tucson, AZJuly 20, 2015
Very helpful management. Also a team members are helpful as well when it comes to training the newbies. Fast paced environment that allows you to keep your mind busy the whole time and stay active.
It was ok
Lead Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Ocala, FLJuly 19, 2015
I like the job but the compensation was nothing I really enjoyed. I was not getting paid enough to do the things I did and the chances for advancement were just not their.
HORRIBLE JOB!!!!!!
Retail Cashier (Former Employee), Aurora, IllinoisJuly 17, 2015
Pros: half hour lunch, 15 minute break
Cons: low pay, not enough hours and having to fight for hours, bad management, new things or rules every other day.
I've worked at this place for a year and to be completely honest out of all the jobs I have had in my whole life: this job is the worst job I have ever had!!!! The minute you come into the door to start – more... your shift already the managers or head cashiers put major pressure and stress on you to get name collections (as in getting customers to sign up for the free coupons & catalogs in their mail), that is the main thing they focus on to give out hours to employees. Yet they also stress the fact that not only do they need name collections but replacement or protection plans (they call them ESPs.) and Inside Track Club membership (ITCs.). You have to watch both your p's and q's around other employees, basically keep a tight lip; anything you say around the head cashiers could easily get you in trouble or wrote up. When I first started working there a year ago; my hours were from 27-30 hours a week and it was great working there since then it went from great to bad to worse along with my hours being literally chopped from 27-30 hours it went down to 20-15 hours then 15-5 hours a week basically it was pointless to even bother coming into work. Plus the management doesn't bother to tell employees about new things such as point system for attendance; they love keeping their employees in the dark about such things this way its easier to get rid of them in the long run. There is also empty promises for advancement as in moving up in positions; don't even consider the fact of even being able to do other things besides cashier at this place. Once you applied for the job of cashier; that's it you are not going to be considered to be promoted or advanced to other positions such as warehouse or pricing, you'll be stuck as cashier there forever. My advice: look elsewhere for a job with promise of promotion or advancement; don't even consider applying for a job with this company once you're in a position such as cashier or warehouse; you're stuck there for good!!!! – less
Learned something new everyday
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJuly 17, 2015
Pros: fun evironment
Cons: Overworked
Retail is def retail, due to lack of hours, managers were always overworked. However with the employees we had, work was fun. The district managers doe not have the right concept of work life environment. it was a leaning experience
Employees