Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc.

Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 1,202 reviews matching the search
Multitude of tools and toys
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 29, 2016
Harbor Freight Tools is a great place to not only sell hardware merchandise but learn from the professionals themselves as they come in and look over the tools of the trade. A typical day an employee will be stocking merchandise on the shelves and working one on one with customers. If you have alot of knowledge about tools then this might be just the right place for you. If you do not have a lot of knowledge don't worry, you can learn as you go and the professionals and customers are always willing to teach a thing or two about the tools they are looking for and the projects they are working on.
Pros
Friendly employees, great benefits
Cons
may have to lift heavy equipment
The story is not finished!
Store Manager / Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 10, 2016
I loved working for HFT. I will miss the people that helped me move up the corporate ladder and those who maintained the culture. The opportunities the company gave me I will cherish. I look forward to the doors that have opened because I have worked for such an expanding and always learning organization.
productive work place
Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Dillon, SCAugust 29, 2016
Its hard and fast paste, but you'll learn more with the right people to guide you. the pay is ok but they need raises. everyday it was something new with the loading and unloading.
Pros
friends
Cons
short breaks
fun place to work, poor management and employer/employee relationship
warehouse manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 30, 2016
this was my first warehouse job and i loved doing my job and looked forward to going to work. however even though i was promoted to warehouse supervisor i never had one review , although i was promised a 30 day review and pay increase upon being hired, and promised a substantial pay increase once my promotion was official, i never received any review or pay increase. my supervisor did not do his job or follow through with anything he told me i would get. He was very unprofessional and disrespectful and therefore i quit my job. the most enjoyable part of this job was the warehouse environment, just doing the job. the hardest part of the job was dealing with a supervisor who lied and was unprofessional and disrespectful. This was the first time i have experienced anything like this that made me want to just quit a job.
Pros
fun environment and job
Cons
poor employer/employee relationship, dealing with a boss that didn't know how to do his job
Productive workplace with a lot of great people and customers!
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boaz, ALOctober 6, 2016
I believe this would be a great job for someone looking to work while in school or just starting their work journey.It is a great place to learn much needed customer service skills with the training programs they provide for you. Starting pay is almost minimum wage but they do offer commission incentives that will play a big role in your pay if you are dedicated to learn and master customer service skills and basic product knowledge.
Pros
Great management and associates
Cons
Few hours and low pay
Great place to start
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 23, 2016
This job can be fun, but no advancement if you are looking to advance very fast. Unless you can get hired as full time, no benefits. Nothing more to tell. Work for the company and find out if it is for you.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
No benefits
Very nice place to work at.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 11, 2016
This place was very nice, friendly and helpful in all areas of job site.
Management was one of the best I ever worked for, and opportunities all the time. We all work together, as a team like it should be. There were hardly a bad day at this place and we all loved it. We were more than co-workers, we were family! I really miss this place.
Pros
They took care of their employees.
Cons
Healthcare was not that great.
A good starter job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  York, PASeptember 20, 2016
Most of my peers didn't care to show up to work half the time; with the store being understaffed, call offs didn't make the day easy. Multitasking got tricky when you need to answer the phone, help the person in line, and direct unpleasant customers to where the product they are looking for is. The sales and name collection aspect was tricky when customers don't care and it is a major part of your job, especially if you want to advance within the company. Other than that management was cool, and my peers made the day better.
Pros
15 min breaks, 30 min lunches
good work place with a strong attitude
Warehouse Assistant/Retail (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLSeptember 14, 2016
A typical day at work was fast paced , I learned that doing the best I can will always make a difference, the management was very good I've also learned a lot from them and how things are supposed to be, my co-workers were good people everyone had a good attitude about what they were doing and was confident, the hardest part of the job was being exhausted but sometimes that what made the job more enjoyable knowing I can complete the tasks no matter what.
Decent place to work with excellent benefits
Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TX 75081October 2, 2016
I find myself ready to pull my hair out at the end of most days due to under-staffing in order to meet payroll quotas. Also, being required to switch between 1st, 2nd, & 3rd shifts during the week, every week, causes extreme exhaustion due to the lack of a consistent sleep pattern. The company does however, offer a decent health benefits package for full-time employees & accrued PTO for all employees.
Pros
Health Benefits & PTO
Cons
No consistent work schedule, under staffing
Great job with questionable management practices
SENIOR SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IADecember 9, 2016
Management in this place is a joke. Men got paid more than women for the same job(s). Loved my customers, the work I did, my coworkers (non-management) and the money I made but the managerial atmosphere was a complete and utter mess. My employment was abruptly terminated due to an issue for which the company cannot provide proof.
Pros
Earn PTO, Possibility of commission payments
Casual and Fun Work Environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hinesville, GA 31313December 28, 2016
Part time less than 24 hour work week unless you're in management.
Highly interactive with customers.
Management is very helpful when you need it.
Hardest part of the job is knowing where every products are located
Best part of the job is working and interacting with customers.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Not enough hours
Pay for Performance
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, FLDecember 30, 2016
Excellent company to work for. There is a lot of opportunities for advancement with a clear path to success. Harbor Freight continues to grow with employees in mind. I would and have recommended this company to everyone that I know.
Pros
Growing Company, Daily Oporations Laid Out For You.
Cons
Decent place to work inorder to learn different techniques.
Supervisor of Sales (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 7, 2017
A typical day for me would be learning new things. I learned lots of great knowledge from my customers and employees. Management needs still has room for growth, but overall pretty good. Funny/product knowledgeable associates. MOST enjoyable part of the job would be creating a WOW experience for the customers.
Fast Paced work environment with inconsistent benefits
Retail Cashier (Current Employee) –  Avondale, AZ 85323May 8, 2016
I have worked here under three different managers and all of them had a different idea about what policy is. You can make some really good money selling memberships or extended service protections but if you aren't into suggestive buying, it can be hard to make ends meet. The minimum is 8.25 and in the beginning I got minimum 20 hours plus I was called in early or was asked to stay late if we were busy enough. We get paid biweekly so at one point I would get 500-600 dollars every two weeks and i was on track to be able to afford school and things I needed. But, once I stopped selling memberships and extended service protections, I am now reduced to 13 hours a week. a third of my paycheck has been cut despite me being employee of the month and all because I am not the best sales person, even though I always have good name collection, am a fast cashier, and have never been written up for any kind of misconduct.
Pros
Best Opportunities to get extra cash based on your sales potential
Cons
don't always get a break because it is too busy, don't always leave exactly on time, not many opportunities for promotion, short staffed, inconsistent management
Great Place to work
Call Representative (Former Employee) –  Dillon, SCAugust 25, 2016
A day at Dairy Queen was always busy. Calls were being answered constantly and sometimes barely had enough time to breath. I learned fast that the better you knew your script then the conversation would go smoother. Management was awesome because they never had a complaint about our team. We always met our goals every month. The hardest part of the job was selling credit cards and magazines. This to me was not hard. The most enjoyable part of the day was when we would take our lunches outside.
It had a good atmosphere most people, employees and customers, were respectful, anddenjoyed a good laugh when appropriate.
Cashier- Interaction (Former Employee) –  Fairview Heights, ILOctober 10, 2016
Typical day of work depended on my responsibilities for the day. Some days I was a cashier helping customers with purchases returns and product exchanges. Other days I was working the floor answering customer questions, keeping the sales floor stocked, and acting as a backup cashier. Sometimes I worked the overnight trucks and stock re-calibration. There were also days were I was responsible for resetting the sales floor, and making sure all prices were accurate.

Skills that I learned included customer relations, I helped management in leadership-like responsibilities, and general retail skills to keep the store running in most aspects of local significance.

Management was always willing to work with my scheduling to make sure I could do well in school. Coworkers were genreallry respectful and fun to be with, but rarely did they stay around for more than a few months.

The hardest part of the job was the inconsistent schedule working anytime of day or night in the same week was difficult.

I enjoyed working with the customers and seeing my daily assignments getting finished.
productive hard work
aux coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dillon, SCSeptember 20, 2016
a typical day at work can be hard but at the same time its what you make it. while being here i learned how to manage others as well as be a team player. management there can be rude but its only because of the stress. co-workers are tough to get along with sense no one sees how important the job at hand is. the hardest part of my job is simply the bad attitudes i deal with on a daily. the most enjoyable part of the job is getting the job done in a timely fashion.
Professional, and clean place to work
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lima, OHDecember 21, 2016
The store was always kept clean by all of the employees, including the store manager. Everyone in general had a good attitude at work and like being there. The hardest part of the job was truck days, but that was not very hard as we all worked on processing the new product together as a team.
Pros
Great management to work for.
Cons
Not having a structured schedule
Ok part time job
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 29, 2016
It's a alright job just there to pay my bills but need something a little better that help me and is better with my schedule but over all be a good part time job
Pros
Getting some free meals
Cons
Lack of management and don't work with schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9