Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc. Employee Reviews

Great place poor management
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Pico Rivera, CADecember 30, 2017
Loved the work environment and employees. They offered overtime a lot. They gave you PTO time. I oversaw warehousing and storage practices and housekeeping
January 4, 2018

Glad to hear you had a positive experience with Harbor Freight Tools, and learned and grew with us in Pico Rivera. We wish you the best of luck in your career goals, and please stay in touch!

Good job to work
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ARDecember 30, 2017
My uncle refereed me to harbor freight & the staff welcomed me with open arms & I worked fair hours & had fair paying being they didn't start me off at minimum wage which $7.25
January 4, 2018

We're glad to hear you had a positive experience with Harbor Freight Tools, and appreciate you sharing your story. Best of luck in your career!

retail
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MODecember 29, 2017
it really depends on the day on what harbor freight what I could either work in the warehouse or I could be a cashier. The management was ok the could do better with communication. the hardest part is learning the store. the enjoyable part are the customer
January 4, 2018

We appreciate you giving your feedback and for your hard work with us in Florissant. We wish you luck in your career goals!

Stressful, Odd Hours,
Senior Logistics Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MODecember 29, 2017
No set schedule. Fast paced, constantly moving. Lifting and carrying is required. Attention to detail is a must. Rough beginning if the employee isn't in shape,
January 4, 2018

Thank you so much for providing your feedback, and we appreciate the hard work you did in Springfield. We wish you the best of luck in your future career goals!

Harbor freight
Logistics Associate (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYDecember 28, 2017
Nice honest people working for evil overlords hellbent on destroying normal sleep patterns while simultaneously refusing benefits and maintaining completely unpredictable schedules.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
Horrible scheduling
December 29, 2017

Sorry you did not have the experience you desired at Harbor Freight. We will share your feedback with the appropriate team members and best of luck in your career goals!

It was a good learning expeirence to put under my belt.
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCDecember 28, 2017
Over all it was a very nice place to work and I worked with a great team but when the new manager came in he started showing favoritism towards certain employers.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
long work hours sometimes when it isn't nessacary
December 29, 2017

Thanks so much for providing your feedback, and thanks for all your work with Harbor Freight Tools. Best of luck in your career journey!

Not a career place
Sales Associate / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surprise, AZDecember 27, 2017
Managers are clueless mishandle money then write up employees for the mistakes they make. Employees are treated like cattle. If I could give negative stars I would. Only way you will get hours is flirting with managers if you know what I mean.
Pros
N/a
Cons
dishonesty, disorganized, disrespectful people.
slow
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZDecember 27, 2017
this is a very good place to work if all you need is a part time job. they are flexible with hours if you talk to them. its not a hard job i just needed more hours and wasnt getting them.

awesome coworkers and bosses
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Medford, ORDecember 26, 2017
I loved all the coworkers and managers at harbor freight. Super fun job. Not too hard or too easy. Everyone was really good at teaching you how to do your job
December 29, 2017

That's great to hear! We appreciate the work that you and the team in Medford, OR do to bring value to the hardworking, and we look forward to seeing you in the stores!

Everything besides the pay and hours is excellent
Logistics Associate (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNDecember 22, 2017
Harbor freight is among the best places I've ever worked at in terms of fun atmosphere and laid back co workers. As with any place the management will very heavily affect your experiences. As a part timer the popularity game is played too much with how the hours get given out. Sometimes it feels like you way too hard for what you get in return. I would say this job, at least the part time positions, would be great as a second job or maybe a side job to have while in school as the schedule is flexible although it is never the same which may be bad for some people. DO NOT depend on this job as your main source of income to pay the bills you will be in debt. The pay is 7.95 starting and unless you get promoted to supervisor or above you will not get a good raise. Expect a 10 to 15 cent raise. All that negative being said, I love working at harbor freight, you get breaks every two hours and the PTO is very good you even get about 72 hours as a part timer.
Pros
laid back, 3 breaks per 8 hour shift.
Cons
pay, hard to get hours as part timer.
December 29, 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback which will help us in our continuous improvement at all levels of employment. We appreciate the work that yourself and the whole team in Kingsport do to bring value to the hardworking, and we will see you in the stores!

Poor culture
Logistics Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILDecember 20, 2017
Culture of gossip and back stabbing, poor manager, cannot ask manager questions without being torn down, poor hiring decisions, bad processes..........
December 29, 2017

Sorry you're not having the experience you desire with us, please know that your district manager would be open to hearing your feedback as well!

Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHDecember 19, 2017
Very friendly work place also competitive bonuses insensitives great customer interaction fun and friendly crew not hard work at all and a balanced work to life schedule
Pros
Free breakfast
Cons
Unloading truck
December 29, 2017

Thanks so much for your feedback, and for being a part of the Harbor Freight family. Good luck in your future career goals!

Enjoyable workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Parkville, MDDecember 19, 2017
Busy environment.
Easily-obtainable bonus/commission
Paid time off after probationary period
Available overtime
Convenient ADP site and Direct Deposit
Pros
Free buffet-style breakfast/lunch/dinner during major store sales promos (sidewalk sale, etc)
December 29, 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback, and good luck in your career journey! Keep in touch!

Overworked and underappreciated.
Logistics Associate (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIDecember 18, 2017
My biggest issue with this company is the fact that logistics employees are overworked. There is never a minute to rest for us. Between processing truck, setting planograms, stocking shelves, doing recalibrations, sweeping the floor, doing price changes, all while also trying to pitch extended service plans to customers on the sales floor.
It doesn't help that often times there is 2 sales employees per every logistics, so we often are trying to process trucks, which usually take 8 people with only 4-6. If employees complain about having to stay 3-5 hours after their initial shift was supposed to end, the store manager replies with, "Well, you should expect to stay late", or "You should have worked harder then".
We can't get enough people into the store to work because the hiring process for the company takes anywhere between 2-4 weeks to even offer the applicants a position and get all e-learning done.
Pros
Never a dull moment
Cons
Never time to rest
December 29, 2017

We really appreciate your feedback and know that your managers and district manager would be open to hearing this as well! We will be sharing this with the appropriate team members, and thanks again for your work.

Use to be a Productive and fun work place
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCDecember 17, 2017
It use to be a productive and fun work place until recently, some of the new store managers that they are bringing in are telling the associates that work is not a place to enjoy and have fun. The customers are also not enjoying there shopping experience with this new outlook of no fun.
Pros
All associates wether part-time, or full time immediately earns paid time offf when they start working
Cons
The way your talked to by store managers
December 29, 2017

Please know that your manager and district manager would be open to hearing your feedback, and we thank you and the team in Greensboro for your hard work!

Good starter job
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXDecember 16, 2017
It's not a hard job and overall the environment and atmosphere are welcoming and helpful. The problem is it doesn't leave much room to improve yourself. You have to get lucky in order to be advanced and they don't look towards giving you decent raises based on performance. Overall it's fine for someone just getting started in the working world but it's almost a dead end job with not enough pay to be worth investing much into.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Random shifts/No Consistency
December 29, 2017

Thank you for your work with us at Harbor Freight and we appreciate your feedback, which we will share with the appropriate team members. Harbor Freight Tools is committed to continuous improvement and that includes our efforts in our new Role Clarity program. We wish you the best of luck in your career journey!

No career advancement
Store Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CADecember 15, 2017
If you are a opinionated person this is not the place to work. They want manager that put there head in the sand and just do what is told of them. If you have question, comments, keep them to your self upper management doesn't want to hear about it. Career advancement is not based off what you bring to the team or the results you deliver but who you know and who likes you.
December 29, 2017

Thank you very much for your feedback which we will use for continuous improvement at this location. We wish you the best in your career journey!

Is A mess and the Management are bullies and clueless
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hillsborough County, FLDecember 14, 2017
If your seeking growth and advancement from this place save yourself time and trouble and move on. Most stores within this company are in very ghetto areas and trashy strip malls. If you will like to be overworked and under paid to meet Management 's bonus quotas by selling "ESPs and sign customers up to be harassed with a flooded storm of emails and coupons and become ITC member for $29.99 a year, so Managements bonus can keep on track and increase their pockets while you work on call Part-time hours. Then Harbor Freight Tools is your calling. Other than that stay clear of this place at all cost, if you enjoy not being stressed out daily.
Pros
Always an opening for a new employee, because of the amount of people who quit
Cons
No work balance, short breaks, slow promotions and lack of proper training
December 29, 2017

Thank you very much for your feedback, which we will be sharing with the appropriate team members. Harbor Freight Tools is committed to our role clarity program that prepares associates for what is expected in promotions and moving up in our company. We are sorry you did not have the experience you wanted, but we do wish you the very best in your future career goals!

Friendly
Logistics Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 13, 2017
Its a fun and friendly environment to work for. They have a awesome paid time off programs.company really cares about its employees and family.i would recommend this work.
December 29, 2017

We appreciate you sharing your feedback, and are happy to hear you're enjoying our programs! We'll see you in the stores!

Terrible & Toxic Work Environment
Logistics Associate (Former Employee) –  Littleton, CODecember 12, 2017
This was a part-time job. I was employed as a Logistics Associate. Our main duties were to safely unload weekly truck shipments, distribute merchandise to the sales floor, stock the warehouse and assist customers who needed help. We were also expected to sweep and clean the store, assemble shelving when necessary and on occasion set up tables for outdoor tent sales. In short, there was always work for the "logistics" group to do. Cannot say, from what I experienced, the same for the other main group the "sales" people-who BTW were paid the same.

Problem was that our store was grossly undermanned and store management was weak at the top. This put a high workload on a small crew of logistics people who did the bulk of physical work at the store. Standing your entire shift-with breaks-but nonetheless constantly moving medium to heavy freight from truck or warehouse shelves, up and down ladders was the norm. It wasn't rare to be carrying a heavy item and being stopped by a customer who needed assistance. The bulk of queries being "where can I find?." If they had just looked up and read the large print signs that were clearly marked "Screwdrivers" when they first walked in it would have made my day.

The workplace culture was fun at times, I mean you had to laugh out load somedays. Logistics people had to have a sense of humor. We worked weird hours, early morning, evening and even through the wee hours--all in the same week and for the same miserable pay, with no shift differential. Not laughing about that. Like I said we were grossly undermanned and this just
  more... wore you down.

There was an extremely high turnover rate here at the store. Some people, managers included quitting right in the middle of their shifts. Yep, it was something to witness, almost laughable.

From what I see, people come and go here. If you want a career, forget about this place. But if you need to find a temp job, choose sales and not logistics.
Pros
Discounted tools
Cons
Job
December 29, 2017

Thank you for sharing, we're sorry you did not have the experience you desired at Harbor Freight, but we wish you the best of luck in your future career goals!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9