Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc.

Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc. Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Madison Heights, MIDecember 15, 2015
typical day is standing behind a cash register, ringing up customers. my co-workers are fun to work with, we get along. management staff are easy to talk to. customers for the most part are nice.
Pros
paid time off even if you work parktime
Cons
short breaks, no vending machines
Good Part-time work
Sales Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lomita, CADecember 14, 2015
I learned very much from my first part-time job. There is not much room for advancement depending on where you work. Depending on your store management may or may not be the best. I worked with great managers who were moved and unfortunately left because of my last manager.
fast place and enjoyable enviroment, with opportunity to learn and grow
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, ARDecember 11, 2015
Customer service is our main priority.
there is something to learn about our product everyday.
the management is professional and helpful
Pros
positive atmospher
Cons
when dealing with high dollar items and limited warranties, it is sometimes hard to please every customer
The hardest part of the job
Cashier/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CADecember 8, 2015
The hardest thing i had to do was get along with my coworkers. No one seemed to help me or even want to cooperate with a new employee. I had no help when it came to customers and I was new.
Not a good employment experience
Assistant Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCDecember 8, 2015
HFT is a low end price point hardware and tool store. They provide minimal training and put way too much emphasis on service plan add on selling at the register. Would not recommend this job to a friend.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Short or no breaks and "hit quota or else" management attitude
Over worked and under paid!!!
International Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Dillon, SCDecember 2, 2015
Basically the whole plant is ran by the associates but the upper Management get the pay. We are all here because we have families to provide for.
Pros
Cons
They only notice you when the Big people come in from California. They be scared then.
fun
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 1, 2015
fun relax great work environment
a lot of things
great fun chilled
chilled
knowing what all the tools were used for
people
Pros
learned a lot about the business
Cons
Wanted to learn more about the tools
Bad Leadership
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston, PANovember 29, 2015
Could be a nice place to work and grow....but it isn't. Middle and upper management really just a culture of what you are doing wrong. No empowerment of managers or associates. Compliance,compliance, compliance. The beatings will continue until morale improves.
a fun enjoyable place to work.
Overnight Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 23, 2015
overnight stocker,unloaded trailer,which was the hardest part as we sold large generators an tools.working along side with coworkers an management. the most enjoyable part was working an assisting customers.
fast paced and instructive
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CANovember 21, 2015
fast paced and instructive environment. quotas are reasonable and easy too keep up with,great benefits with incentives
Always something new
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  East Peoria, ILNovember 19, 2015
I was the store manager and liked the work at Family Dollar but just didn't like the hours I put in. I was working an average of 60-70 hours a week. It actually was the best job that I have had in the last few years. Just needed a better district manager too help me work through things in stead of him telling me I am the store manager figure things out. So that is just what I did. I was doing my job and his job also.
productive and busy
Retail clerk (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 17, 2015
fun and calm place to work around if you like tools. the hardest part of the job is keeping up with merhandise on busy sale days. i enjoyed my management team.
Pros
great hours
Cons
busy
n/a
Assist customers (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLNovember 16, 2015
It was early morning shifts and overall it was a pretty decent job to work at even tho hours were pretty bad. Friendly co-workers and i learned alot about warehouse type jobs
Working as a team, to ensure acurate productivity
Office Support (Current Employee) –  Dillon, SCNovember 15, 2015
I work as an office support for this company. I enjoy my work, I like working within a team to meet and excel the company's expectation of us. The duties itself isn't hard, yet it's demanding and it offers a lot of new challenges daily in which we tackle with pride. I'm grateful to be given the opportunity to be promoted to work as an office support and I enjoy the benefits and responsibilities that comes with the job.
Delughtful day
Retail Cashier (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 15, 2015
Always fast-paced and very busy with customers going in and out. As well as taking care of them and providing the best customer service you can. Going as far as helping them with certain products to just saying hi to acknowledge their presence in our store. Management is always willing to jump in when we don't know the answer to something needed by our customers or are at least willing to help them at best of their abilities. Hardest part of my job I would say is when someone is having a bad day and your just trying to give them the best customer service and lighten their day a little and it seems to have no affect. Most enjoyable day would be the opposite of my hardest part, being my customers they can just make your day with an instant. Its the reoccurring faces and knowing how they are what their doing and the projects they are working on whether its home projects or if its work projects.
Pros
Good employees
Cons
Full-time is only 30 hours
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CANovember 14, 2015
Harbor Freight Tools is a unique workplace that brings a lot of culture together. People can be working on the improvement of their own physical property, or they could be getting little toys for holidays. People are all around for their own reason, and its always an interesting story.
Dysfunctional company.
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CANovember 13, 2015
Dysfunctional company. Son of Owner is nothing like his exceptional father that founded the company. He doesn't seem to care about the workers. Poor communication between different departments causes many delays in production. I would not recommend to a friend.
Pros
Decent benefits.
Cons
Huge rift between Upper management and lower level employees
Work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CANovember 13, 2015
Working for this company sucks!! Its like torture having to come into work for little minded managers. The pay sucks the only way to make a decent amount of money is selling memberships and extended service plans (FYI sucks). The managers don't appreciate you, the scheduling sucks if you're good at your job and have the most memberships and service plans they schedule you for less hours and they always call you on your day off expecting you to come into work because someone was a no show. Co workers aren't that friendly it's like high school all over a lot of drama and a lot fake "friends"
Pros
💩
Cons
💵
Life a Harbor Freight Tools
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VANovember 10, 2015
A typical day at HFT involves running a cash register, stocking shelves and other normal day to day activities.
I have learned a lot about tools, and how to work as a team.
They are very relaxed and as long as I got my tasks done they were very nice.
I have grown to be friends with a lot of my co-workers. Most are not college educated.
The hardest part of my job, was dealing with customers who thought just because I am a women I do not know anything about tools.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the interactions I have with different people everyday, and being able to use my knowledge to help the people around me.
Pros
PTO for non full time employees.
Cons
The regulations have changed so much, they are always becoming more ridiculous, and complicated
Good pay
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Saddle Brook, NJNovember 9, 2015
I cant say too much but a great place to make the money you want. You control most of your paychecks with selling add-ons. Very flexible schedule
Pros
GREAT PAY
Cons
NONE