Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 1,138 reviews matching the search
It helped me gain knowledge
Cashier (Current Employee) –  North Richland Hills, TXApril 7, 2016
this job helped me multi-task better because we were a high volume store. I had many responsibilities. The hardest part of my job was lack of management. Some co-workers didn't seem to understand the job. There wasn't proper training. I used to love my job there. It just became difficult to overwork myself for such little pay and be constantly told I need to work harder.
Pros
gaining knowledge
Cons
management, lack of pay
Not that great in my opinion
associate/ Cashier/ Freight Crew (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 10, 2016
I was on freight crew and we worked 1000 pcs plus of freight twice a week people on freight at the time felt like family it was everyone around us (management , morning crew, the managers etc.) that always had an issue, it was my first job but still for the year i was there wasn't the best time I've had for a job for the amount i was getting paid.
Pros
people were close
Cons
management was sneaky and suspicious
Fun workplace
Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 1, 2016
Fast paced, customer service a must, not alot of internal promotions.
They expect you to put them over your family at all times and do not appreciate it.
Pros
good benefits for full time
Cons
low pay no training
Entergetic, fun environment, typically decent pace
Retail Clerk - Sales - Logistics (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaNovember 1, 2016
Depending on who the manager is on duty is, typically determines how much ''drama" goes on. Generally a good environment and tensions stay low. Good part time opportunity, just use common sense on the small things and the large things typically follow.
Pros
Always something to do to stay busy
Cons
Low sales (per store) = few hours. Full time associates use bulk of hours
You will always be busy and doing something. Enjoyable.
Logistics Associate (Current Employee) –  Murrieta, CAMay 17, 2016
Repetitive remedial work. Very easy after 2-3 months of working when u learn the store and where everything goes and what they are. Co-workers very friendly and supportive. Poor management however freindly. Ive learned alot about the products and significantly increased my skills since working there (I.E = Customer focus, action oriented, Composure, Etc). Hardest part is lazy co-workers and picking up all the slack. Most enjoyable part of the day is when i see customers leave happy after helping them.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Poor Leadership
Working as a team, to ensure acurate productivity
Office Support (Current Employee) –  Dillon, SCNovember 15, 2015
I work as an office support for this company. I enjoy my work, I like working within a team to meet and excel the company's expectation of us. The duties itself isn't hard, yet it's demanding and it offers a lot of new challenges daily in which we tackle with pride. I'm grateful to be given the opportunity to be promoted to work as an office support and I enjoy the benefits and responsibilities that comes with the job.
don't cause waves
AM1 (Former Employee) –  Dillon, SCMay 16, 2016
If you ever cause waves with management - your career is up for Termination or no advancement.

Management tends to take your improvement ideas - and if they are implemented, they take the credit.

HFT is a good/progressive company but they need to pay attention to what employees are saying and give credit where credit is due.
My Worst experience in retail!!!
Manager (Former Employee) –  WNYJuly 26, 2016
I was hired as a Manager to set up the new store being built in a nearby town. I was given little to no training other than awful computer based learning narrated by a woman with an annoying English accent. When I was in my training stores prior to my store opening they used us as free labor did not train us only if it helped them. My District manager was a complete joke, during the process of store set up he showed up once, then once we officially opened he would critique things done during set up and when I pulled up floor plans for our store he said they were wrong and I didn't know what I was doing. The DM never gave a compliment on sales or when things were done, rather critique and insult you in front of other associates. DM would micromanage everything and would want an email every time a task was completed and at what time and by whom. Just a complete joke of a company. This was the worst retail experience of my life. The scheduling was terrible and had little to no time with my family. STAY AWAY VERY FAR AWAY
Pros
Good employees
Cons
Non existent lunch breaks, DM was a joke, schedules were terrible
fun and active work place
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Union, NJOctober 4, 2016
Needs work with management but an overall great place to work coworkers are fun and great to be around the hardest part about working there was the egos of the management if you weren't in that kind of position then you were belittled
Dysfunctional company.
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CANovember 13, 2015
Dysfunctional company. Son of Owner is nothing like his exceptional father that founded the company. He doesn't seem to care about the workers. Poor communication between different departments causes many delays in production. I would not recommend to a friend.
Pros
Decent benefits.
Cons
Huge rift between Upper management and lower level employees
Wonerful place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mt. Pleasant, TXAugust 30, 2016
I completely enjoyed working at Harbor Freight. The managers were always helpful and knowledgable. Alot of fun. Team meambers were friendly and cared about eachother. I learned alot about tools and how they are used. I really hated to leave this job. The biggest problem I had was that I could not get enough hours to survive on. Otherwise I would still be employees with this company.
Pros
Fun and friendly. Helpful team. Energetic.
Cons
Not enough hours for the small pay.
Easy job but store manager will stress you out and will not lift a finger when he needs too
Retail Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAJuly 14, 2016
The job is easy its the management that makes the job hard. they want unskilled labor and will treat skilled labor badly as if they know nothing. Pay is only 7.75 per hour there are other jobs you can make more.
Pros
helping customers
Cons
Many things to keep you busy and overall a great place to work for.
Logistics Associate (Former Employee) –  York, PAAugust 8, 2016
A typical day at work for me was mostly stocking, but what I learned from this job is that getting the job done doesn't just rely on the floor level workers to maintain a positive out look and to continue being productive even though work has hit a slow period of the day. It is and should be required from all employees that work for any company. The management team at the harbor freight I worked at gave me a wrong vibe starting after two weeks of being there because not only from what I saw, treating the warehouse stock employees poorly, two management members would single out some of my co-workers for not picking up the pace and yet most of them when there not busy or even wanting to take there own multi-breaks would always be on there phone. For me, have a successful business means a lot because when it all breaks down and you find the one thing you strive with your company the most for, is the customer satisfaction. without customers buying from businesses. We wouldn't be here and even though certain customers are not having a good day or did not have a good experience. I still try to take time to apologize and talk to them. even if its little. Because a little, can go a long way.
Pros
Friendly Co-workers, interaction with customers
Cons
no idea what the hours will be for next weeks schedule.
Fun place but no chance to advance.
Freight Associate (Current Employee) –  Nampa, IDAugust 16, 2016
Harbor Freight is a fast growing company but there is very little chance for advancement. They do try and promote from within but prefer part time to full time employees.
Pros
Decent environment.
Cons
The freight is very heavy and not many hours.
Hft
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTOctober 13, 2016
This job was okay, I had fun working with the people there. I made some cool friends, but the management sucked. They play favorites, and they dont do much rewarding. One cool thin though is that you get extra cash depending on how many memberships you sold.
Petty children!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJune 14, 2016
Never in my life have I seen such juvenile behavior from grown adults! Tag teams trying to get people fired, management overlooking drug use on the job. I am honestly glad it's under new management!
Harbor Freight Tools
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOJune 26, 2016
Sales floor work such as customer service, price coordinating, stocking shelves and cashiering. I learned how to price coordinate and cashier. Management was a unstable. Co-workers were enjoyable and a plus about the job. The job was fairly easy and not very difficult. The most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers and being able to help customers.
Pros
Co-workers, customer service.
Cons
A mix of industrial and chaos
Real Estate Paralegal (In-House) (Former Employee) –  Calabasas, CASeptember 23, 2015
Corporate office is disorganized and priorities are out of whack. The "executive assistants" have spacious, private offices while the managers, paralegals, etc. have open spaces where you can hear every conversation and privacy is non-existent. Not a professional environment - dress is beyond casual, communication between supervisors and others is poor and benefits aren't anything special.
Pros
It's in the valley and co-workers are generally nice
a laid back job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MONovember 9, 2016
This is a job that I wouldn't really recommend to a lot of people. Some days it is very relaxed work other days it can be very fast paced. The management isn't the best and some of the people are the nicest to work with.
Very Comfortable Work Environment
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MISeptember 4, 2016
Comfortable work environment with generous breaks and lunch breaks. The crew and management were all very friendly and helpful. I really enjoyed my time working with them.
Pros
friendly, calm environment, helpful
Cons
the days went slow

2.9