HARBOR LIGHT HOSPICE Employee Reviews in United States

Former Employee
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 21, 2015
Our office was the only office in the Missouri market. I believe Harbor Light Hospice purchased this office because of a good deal they received and did not take the time to familarize themselves with the state laws and culture of the area. I worked there for several months, all the while being told we were doing a fantastic job. Our office was struggling with obtaining patients in the highly competitive St. Louis market. But as I stated earlier, we were constantly told how good of a job we were doing. February 27, 2015, employees were notified that the office had been sold and the new company only needed clinical staff. All non clinical staff no longer had a job after February 28, 2015. I understand the fact that Missouri is an at will state meaning this was all done legally. However, giving a person advance notice of 1 day is poor business management in my opinion. I would not recommend anyone to accept a position with this company.
Awesome Job
RN (Current Employee) –  Mishawaka, InMay 16, 2015
Great place to work. I work with the best team ever! Ask 95% of the people who work in this office, they will agree that we have a great team and an awesome mgmt team. We've had changes over the last year, changes that have made us better hospice nurses. Management has an open door policy for the staff and works very hard to make everyone as happy as possible.
Pros
Pay, great benefits, great mgmt team
Cons
Lots of miles racked up on vehicle.
Harbor Light Hospice
Volunteer Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Crown Point, INJuly 23, 2015
I have learned quite a bit from Harbor Light Hospice. I have learned the ins and outs of hospice, how one becomes eligible for hospice, how the services are covered, and how to work hand in hand with several disciplines.The hardest part of the job has been learning to become use to death and knowing that it is the end result for our patients. The best part of the job has been providing our patients with volunteers to provide a companionship for them in their last days.
great team
Case Manager / RN (Former Employee) –  ohioApril 26, 2015
Pulled in many directions through the course of the day, minimal to no support from management when a crisis comes up, often told to figure it out. Family health insurance is way to expensive, $600 a pay. Put a lot of miles on your car, work over most days.
Pros
great team and co workers
Cons
health coverage costs
Great team work environment
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Munroe Falls, OHMay 6, 2012
Great team support and interaction. Not enough PTO. RN's don't have enough time with patients.

Lots of driving and unexpected admission interruptions not scheduled.

Solid, hospice-philosophy, management leaders have left the company.
Pros
fair compensation
Cons
on call demand, less personalized patient care for rn's
Difficult to find volunteers
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJune 8, 2015
Fun job and I was able to take my pet to work daily, however was difficult securing volunteers in accordance with the requirements.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Difficult loosing patients and difficult finding and keeping volunteers
Caring
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Glen Ellyn, ILFebruary 10, 2015
Harbor Light Hospice is a really good place to work at. The management and staff are helpful. They take care of the employees and are always there to help.
horrible management, staff morale is low, marketing team is a bunch of pansies
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Crown Point, INJune 23, 2014
This company only cares about numbers. The executive director is worthless. Not only is she non approachable, she's cocky and weighs about 450 lbs. The company does not care for its employees. By far the worst company I have worked for. A lot of backstabbing, back talking and unprofessionalism.
Cons
low morale, unstable environment, bad management
enjoyed this job a lot
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  highland htsApril 17, 2013
great place to work,enjoyed staff and mgmnt,as well as the facilities that I traveled to,all aspects of job were acceptable,however they were weak in marketing and census would vary/drop at times leaving little to do,hardest part was probably recerts,most enjoyable was spending quality time with patients.
Pros
staff, management, location
Cons
low census, low pay
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Glen Ellyn, ILMay 13, 2013
There is no typical day at work at Harbor Light Hospice. Each day can be something new to do.
Look up groups, clubs and schools for potential new volunteers; look online for dog clubs, groomers etc., to find new therapy animals to visit hospice patients.
Co-workers were very supportive and helpful. Very friendly, as I encouraged each co-worker to give ideas to attract new volunteers.
The hardest part of this job is to retain volunteers. People come to give their time for many reasons, and sometimes do not have the time or energy to volunteer after interview and/or training.
The most enjoyable part of this job was to meet so many wonderful giving people. They came from all walks of life. Had many stories to tell from their own hospice experiences.
Pros
meeting wonderful people
Cons
on the go constantly; lots of mileage put on car
Excellent working experience
Hospice Aide (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 8, 2014
Very rewarding career. Great managment and wonderful coworkers.
Overall it was a very positive happy work environment
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INDecember 9, 2013
I was receptionist and administrative assistant in charge of ordering office supplies, filing medical records in patient files, distributing mail, I assisted in helping the marketing coordinator make marketing packets, tracking donations, sending out weekly letters to families in need of support, and thank you letters to those who made donations.
I learned how to file patient records and how Hospice works for those in need.
My co-workers were excellent. It was a very cordial and supportive environment to work.
The hardest part was receiving the calls that the patients was in the process of passing from this life.
The most enjoyable part of this job was the fulfilling feeling of helping people who were in such need of comfort and compassion. It was a service that I would like to repeat.
Pros
outstanding people that i worked with, the fulfilling feeling of being of service to those in need
Cons
the loss of the patients
Honored profession
Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Glen Ellyn, ILMarch 25, 2014
Averaged two admissions per day.
Increased knowledge and understanding of end of life issues, comfort care.
Increased knowledge of Dementia and other diseases and their declines
Core group of coworkers and sense of team.
Some people have commented to me over the year about hospice must be a "hard" job. I have felt that everyone has their niche' and in this type of care would you want the one caring for your love one to "get" this stage of life.
Always felt it was an honor to walk and work with these patients and families
hospice for the people
STNA (Former Employee) –  Stow, OHJune 20, 2012
good stna's but the nurses are very terribly they will blame you for everything. and mangement wont step up for the aides.
Pros
good money long driving hours.
Cons
bad management, bad nurses.
Easy going people to work with...
Hospice Nurse (Former Employee) –  Forsyth, ILMarch 21, 2014
Overall a great place to work. Can be stressful sat times, as it is in most jobs.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
paperwork done on own time
Hospice Demanding
Administrative Asst. / Office Support (Former Employee) –  Ontario, OHJanuary 19, 2015
A typical day was very stressful due to dealing with the families of ill patients
Excellent, Quality based care with a dedicated and loyal team.
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILOctober 13, 2011
I have worked previously for this company and found it to be the best Hospice care available in the area and recommend them highly at all times to anyone in need of end of life care. They provide a high quality of care with compassion for patient's and family. They have cared for my family and I give thanks to each one of the team for making a very difficult time tolerable with their love and support.
Very caring
Certified Nurse's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mishawaka, INDecember 3, 2014
I provided daily assistance to hospice patients admitted on to our service. I travel from place to place.
Very productive office
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 13, 2014
Our team members gave exceptional care not only to the patients, but; the patients family members.
Pros
friday dress down and bring your dog to work
Cons
i have nothing negative to say
Poor attitude, Poor org structure, poor employee assistance
RN (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILMay 28, 2014
Poor organizational structure. Does not appear to be a knowledgable company in regards to hospice care.
Pros
great pto
Cons
ask employees to falsify time