HARBOR LIGHT HOSPICE Employee Reviews

Company was not truthful with its' employees.
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 4, 2017
When I was employed with this company they were in the process of selling the office where I worked but instead of hiring another RN to handle the patient load, they kept telling us they were interviewing but we later found out they were not doing this, knowing they'd be selling very soon.
Caring company but lots of micro management...
CNA (Current Employee) –  Galesburg, ILNovember 9, 2016
I enjoy working for this company because I love caring for ppl. I just wish, in our particular office, that we weren't micro managed and spoken to like we are children. I think that management would fair better to do more marketing instead of micro managing a schedule that I I'm perfectly capable of doing myself. I mean, I see the patients...I know their schedules... anyway, if you need hospice for yourself or a loved one, Harbor Light will take the best care of you. If you work for them, you will work hard, and you will be micro managed, and not paid the greatest. Medical benifits are expensive and raises do happen yearly, 35 cents, if you're lucky. Weekends off, holidays off paid, and milage reimbursement are a plus for not getting the hourly wage I feel I deserve.
Working with families & patients was excellent
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  OhioSeptember 30, 2016
I had never worked in hospice prior to this and they said I would have more than a month of training and following someone. I received maybe 3 days training. But it was still an excellent source to learn from.
Great staff teamwork
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Crown Point, INSeptember 12, 2016
Opportunities for a variety of patient assignments and great staff teamwork. Extra hours available and many location optiond
I really enjoyed working for this company. I unfortunately had to cease employment at the time that I quit working for them.
Administrative Assistant to Manager (Former Employee) –  Crown Point, INSeptember 9, 2016
I really enjoyed working at Harbor Light Hospice. Unfortunately I was unable to continue working at that time. They are a great company and very compassionate and excellent at what they do for the families and patients at a very hard time in the end of life of a loved one.I wish I could have had a little more responsibility than I was given in the job the I was hired to do. Unfortunately the job that I had is no longer available.
Pros
Great people. Flexible schedule.
Cons
Its very sad when an individual passes away.
Hospice is what you make of it
marketing (Current Employee) –  IllinoisDecember 8, 2015
Ignore the "bad management" and "falsify time sheet" reviews - those scream of bitter former employees who were a bad fit for hospice work. If you can self motivate, think on your feet, demonstrate empathy and caring, and work on your own with minimal direction - hospice is for you. Harbor Light as a company had grown fast and had had growing pains. It's still a great company doing great work.
Harbor Light Hospice
Volunteer Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Crown Point, INJuly 23, 2015
I have learned quite a bit from Harbor Light Hospice. I have learned the ins and outs of hospice, how one becomes eligible for hospice, how the services are covered, and how to work hand in hand with several disciplines.The hardest part of the job has been learning to become use to death and knowing that it is the end result for our patients. The best part of the job has been providing our patients with volunteers to provide a companionship for them in their last days.
Difficult to find volunteers
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJune 8, 2015
Fun job and I was able to take my pet to work daily, however was difficult securing volunteers in accordance with the requirements.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Difficult loosing patients and difficult finding and keeping volunteers
Awesome Job
RN (Current Employee) –  Mishawaka, InMay 16, 2015
Great place to work. I work with the best team ever! Ask 95% of the people who work in this office, they will agree that we have a great team and an awesome mgmt team. We've had changes over the last year, changes that have made us better hospice nurses. Management has an open door policy for the staff and works very hard to make everyone as happy as possible.
Pros
Pay, great benefits, great mgmt team
Cons
Lots of miles racked up on vehicle.
great team
Case Manager / RN (Former Employee) –  ohioApril 26, 2015
Pulled in many directions through the course of the day, minimal to no support from management when a crisis comes up, often told to figure it out. Family health insurance is way to expensive, $600 a pay. Put a lot of miles on your car, work over most days.
Pros
great team and co workers
Cons
health coverage costs
Former Employee
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 21, 2015
Our office was the only office in the Missouri market. I believe Harbor Light Hospice purchased this office because of a good deal they received and did not take the time to familarize themselves with the state laws and culture of the area. I worked there for several months, all the while being told we were doing a fantastic job. Our office was struggling with obtaining patients in the highly competitive St. Louis market. But as I stated earlier, we were constantly told how good of a job we were doing. February 27, 2015, employees were notified that the office had been sold and the new company only needed clinical staff. All non clinical staff no longer had a job after February 28, 2015. I understand the fact that Missouri is an at will state meaning this was all done legally. However, giving a person advance notice of 1 day is poor business management in my opinion. I would not recommend anyone to accept a position with this company.
Caring
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Glen Ellyn, ILFebruary 10, 2015
Harbor Light Hospice is a really good place to work at. The management and staff are helpful. They take care of the employees and are always there to help.
Hospice Demanding
Administrative Asst. / Office Support (Former Employee) –  Ontario, OHJanuary 19, 2015
A typical day was very stressful due to dealing with the families of ill patients
Very caring
Certified Nurse's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mishawaka, INDecember 3, 2014
I provided daily assistance to hospice patients admitted on to our service. I travel from place to place.
Excellent working experience
Hospice Aide (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 8, 2014
Very rewarding career. Great managment and wonderful coworkers.
Very productive office
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 13, 2014
Our team members gave exceptional care not only to the patients, but; the patients family members.
Pros
Friday dress down and bring your dog to work
Cons
I have nothing negative to say
Poor attitude, Poor org structure, poor employee assistance
RN (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILMay 28, 2014
Poor organizational structure. Does not appear to be a knowledgable company in regards to hospice care.
Pros
Great PTO
Cons
Ask employees to falsify time
Honored profession
Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Glen Ellyn, ILMarch 25, 2014
Averaged two admissions per day.
Increased knowledge and understanding of end of life issues, comfort care.
Increased knowledge of Dementia and other diseases and their declines
Core group of coworkers and sense of team.
Some people have commented to me over the year about hospice must be a "hard" job. I have felt that everyone has their niche' and in this type of care would you want the one caring for your love one to "get" this stage of life.
Always felt it was an honor to walk and work with these patients and families
Easy going people to work with...
Hospice Nurse (Former Employee) –  Forsyth, ILMarch 21, 2014
Overall a great place to work. Can be stressful sat times, as it is in most jobs.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Paperwork done on own time
Overall it was a very positive happy work environment
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INDecember 9, 2013
I was receptionist and administrative assistant in charge of ordering office supplies, filing medical records in patient files, distributing mail, I assisted in helping the marketing coordinator make marketing packets, tracking donations, sending out weekly letters to families in need of support, and thank you letters to those who made donations.
I learned how to file patient records and how Hospice works for those in need.
My co-workers were excellent. It was a very cordial and supportive environment to work.
The hardest part was receiving the calls that the patients was in the process of passing from this life.
The most enjoyable part of this job was the fulfilling feeling of helping people who were in such need of comfort and compassion. It was a service that I would like to repeat.
Pros
Outstanding people that I worked with, the fulfilling feeling of being of service to those in need
Cons
The loss of the patients

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HARBOR LIGHT HOSPICE. Our community is ready to answer.