HARC Employee Reviews

A job that keeps you on your toes
Individual Day Supporter (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 2, 2017
A typical day for me is taking my client out into the community. I learned more responsibility. My manager is great, he listens very well and is quick to fix anything that I might bring to his as a concern.
Pros
Reimbursement
Cons
Use of own car
Flexible comfortable environment
Job Developer (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 28, 2017
Enjoyed working for this agency. I had the option to work from home and in the community. Culture is laid back and management is easy to get along with.
fast pace and stressful
Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 20, 2017
Some days were better than others. Most of the time the day went smoothly. Getting hit by a participant was never so good.
Respite care
Report preparation
overview
JOB COACH (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 7, 2017
HARC was a great environment to work in, in regards to the clients i worked with. The organization and management were less ideal and made the job very hard and stressful
stressful
Job Coach (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTJuly 30, 2017
i do not like my job at all.. I dont think the pay is worth it at all. it is very stressful and its no fun to go home and not want to wake up to go to work the following day. I want to lovee where i work
Drama
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTJuly 22, 2017
Drama drama drama is all I can say in order to be here you better love what you do because there are no raises not ever no thank you or company appreciation
Full of joy
Volunteer, Secretary (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 6, 2017
My experience at HARC was mind blowing at first. To work with the elderly mentally challenged and to see how much life they had in them compared to those who have no problems and complain about everything. This job and the clients touched my heart.
great place for extra income
Custodian/Landscaping Crew (Current Employee) –  Napoleon, OHFebruary 6, 2017
Great if you enjoy cleaning I do.
They help you learn the jobs and they call you if they have extra work. I liked the flexibility. I work on Call and a regular shift 2 days per week.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Not a lot of money
Enjoyed the experiance
Behavioral Assistant Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 2, 2016
I worked many different positions at HARC. I worked in a group home it was room for 8 individuals. I worked overnights helped individuals with doctor appts, hygienic need, dietary, medication administration, transportation. Had some rough times but mostly good times at the company. The company as a whole had problems and had to sell to another company. The new company downsized with that a lot of people was out of work and I was one.
Pros
cooking
Clients are amazing management isn't
Coordinator/Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield, CTAugust 25, 2016
Although there is room for growth here. Nothing is private., even when going to management in confidentiality by the time you leave the main building everyone in the agency knows what you were there for.
Working with people with Disabilities
Job Coach (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTAugust 16, 2016
The work is rewarding, unfortunately the pay and salary is not a person who has to reside in Connecticut. Working with the client's is very intense. There are times when your opinion does not matter to the health and safety of the clients and your co workers.
Pros
training
Cons
No breaks
Productive Workplace
RESIDENCE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Herkimer, NYJune 25, 2016
Management is great and a wonderful experience but not enough pay or good hours to stay.

I learned a lot of management training. The skills I acquired only come with working on the job.

A typical day at work is very stressful, however, rewarding.
Terrible Place to Work
HR Staff Recruitment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTMay 24, 2016
The Corporate culture is not a supportive one that fosters valuing employees opinions. Because they are non-profit current employees are not eligible for raises unless they are promoted and the promotions are lateral. The wages are "shamefully" low for all direct care staff for the work, effort and attention to detail for the clients with disabilities many of the tenured staff in those positions deserve raises.
The majority of the employees are miserable and they are a lot of clicks.
Upper management are the ones that make the most money.

This company expects hard work from the direct care staff but doesn't reward them monetarily for their hard work.
Pros
good location
Cons
short lunch breaks, need realistic mangement thats employee oriented
HARC is a great place to work if you love working with these individuals with disabilities
Job Coach (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTFebruary 23, 2016
Great benefits and good work environment. I learn something new everyday whether its sign language or learning about a disorder. I enjoy making a difference in the participants' lives.
Loved This Job
Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTAugust 31, 2015
HARC is a day program for adults with intellectual disabilities. This company is committed to promoting the highest level of independence possible for their clients. I worked in the Employment Centers with a client that worked at an insurance Company. Her job was to stock all of the coolers in the cafeteria. I really enjoyed working with this woman, and I felt great about everything that I was able to do in a day to promote autonomy and also provide assistance for her where she needed it in order to build her self confidence. I got to know several clients families, and was present at meetings as an advocate for the client. I loved almost everything about this company. The hours were great, management was very team oriented, excellent PTO and sick days, payed holidays. I cannot say enough about how much I loved this job, working at HARC helped me realize that I wanted to be a nurse.
Pros
Pay, Pto, great people, great hours, reliable
Cons
I couldn't move this job from CT to FL with me!
Workplace
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 20, 2015
The workplace was a group home with 7 residents with room for 8. When starting as a 2nd shift staff at 8.00hr. I picked up residents from day program took care of dietary and hygienic needs. I enjoyed working with the staff and the home managers. The home had order the residents where fun to be around. I also worked 3rd shift overnight and in the morning drop residents at day program. Also Some days would take the residents to doctor appointments and we would take them on recreational outings. Loved it i was comfortable and it was like a home away from home.

The company had problems with theft from the CEO and after they had pay advance freeze. Then staff cuts and it started going downhill. The residents didn't have food department of children and family had to be called for neglect. Some many other things it was in the news.
The company HARC was taken over by another company. The new company made cuts and let a lot of people go and i was one.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
Became unstable and stressful
challenging, tiring, sometimes rewarding
Vocational Day Program Job Coach (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTFebruary 1, 2015
Working at HARC was fun but after new management came in everything changed. It's a more stressful environment only because the job coaches have to advocate more for the participants. Now its all about making a good impression when potential families come in to see the program but the rest of the time just do what you can in
whatever way you can in an overcrowded environment with a difficult management team. This is especially true on the second floor. It's very frustrating when management is more worried about employees punching in to work one minute late instead of worrying about the personal care and needs of our mentally challenged participants. I have learned that in healthcare there are very few people that work in this field because they care about others whether they are mentally challenged or not. A lot of people just think about making a buck. and since there really is no money in working with the mentally challenged, it's really frustrating for those of us who really care. Co-workers are co-workers everywhere, you have good ones and not so good ones but you have to work with everybody.The most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job is that you know that you have made life easier for someone else even if it's just by changing a diaper, repositioning someone, or making sure that they are comfortable. Plus even though most of the participants can't tell you what and how they feel, when they give you a nice big smile, you know that you have accomplished something good. That is the one reason why many of us stick around because to us IT IS ALL ABOUT THE PARTICIPANT!
Pros
work hours 1st shift Monday-Friday, helping those who can't do for themselves, just being employed
Cons
lousy pay, working lunch, healthcare plan is useless, vacation and sick days are not separate, union does nothing for you but take your money
productive work place
Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 11, 2014
working with individual intellectual disability's in the day program setting. Taking individual to different job sites.
ok
assistant manager (Current Employee) –  tampa,flMarch 30, 2014
• Direct care staff
• Supervising a staff of 6 and residents
• Maintain report files, typing various correspondences, maintain scheduling appointments
• Responsible for maintaining and sorting the mail as well as office supplies, and other clerical duties
nice people
staff (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTFebruary 8, 2014
the company is well established and really cares about it clients. The benefits are a but expensive otherwise it is a great place to work.