HARC Employee Reviews

Enjoyed the experiance
Behavioral Assistant Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 2, 2016
I worked many different positions at HARC. I worked in a group home it was room for 8 individuals. I worked overnights helped individuals with doctor appts, hygienic need, dietary, medication administration, transportation. Had some rough times but mostly good times at the company. The company as a whole had problems and had to sell to another company. The new company downsized with that a lot of people was out of work and I was one.
Pros
cooking
Clients are amazing management isn't
Coordinator/Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield, CTAugust 25, 2016
Although there is room for growth here. Nothing is private., even when going to management in confidentiality by the time you leave the main building everyone in the agency knows what you were there for.
Working with people with Disabilities
Job Coach (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTAugust 16, 2016
The work is rewarding, unfortunately the pay and salary is not a person who has to reside in Connecticut. Working with the client's is very intense. There are times when your opinion does not matter to the health and safety of the clients and your co workers.
Pros
training
Cons
No breaks
Productive Workplace
RESIDENCE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Herkimer, NYJune 25, 2016
Management is great and a wonderful experience but not enough pay or good hours to stay.

I learned a lot of management training. The skills I acquired only come with working on the job.

A typical day at work is very stressful, however, rewarding.
Terrible Place to Work
HR Staff Recruitment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTMay 24, 2016
The Corporate culture is not a supportive one that fosters valuing employees opinions. Because they are non-profit current employees are not eligible for raises unless they are promoted and the promotions are lateral. The wages are "shamefully" low for all direct care staff for the work, effort and attention to detail for the clients with disabilities many of the tenured staff in those positions deserve raises.
The majority of the employees are miserable and they are a lot of clicks.
Upper management are the ones that make the most money.

This company expects hard work from the direct care staff but doesn't reward them monetarily for their hard work.
Pros
good location
Cons
short lunch breaks, need realistic mangement thats employee oriented
HARC is a great place to work if you love working with these individuals with disabilities
Job Coach (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTFebruary 23, 2016
Great benefits and good work environment. I learn something new everyday whether its sign language or learning about a disorder. I enjoy making a difference in the participants' lives.
Loved This Job
Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTAugust 31, 2015
HARC is a day program for adults with intellectual disabilities. This company is committed to promoting the highest level of independence possible for their clients. I worked in the Employment Centers with a client that worked at an insurance Company. Her job was to stock all of the coolers in the cafeteria. I really enjoyed working with this woman, and I felt great about everything that I was able to do in a day to promote autonomy and also provide assistance for her where she needed it in order to build her self confidence. I got to know several clients families, and was present at meetings as an advocate for the client. I loved almost everything about this company. The hours were great, management was very team oriented, excellent PTO and sick days, payed holidays. I cannot say enough about how much I loved this job, working at HARC helped me realize that I wanted to be a nurse.
Pros
Pay, PTO, great people, great hours, reliable
Cons
I couldn't move this job from CT to FL with me!
Workplace
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 20, 2015
The workplace was a group home with 7 residents with room for 8. When starting as a 2nd shift staff at 8.00hr. I picked up residents from day program took care of dietary and hygienic needs. I enjoyed working with the staff and the home managers. The home had order the residents where fun to be around. I also worked 3rd shift overnight and in the morning drop residents at day program. Also Some days would take the residents to doctor appointments and we would take them on recreational outings. Loved it i was comfortable and it was like a home away from home.

The company had problems with theft from the CEO and after they had pay advance freeze. Then staff cuts and it started going downhill. The residents didn't have food department of children and family had to be called for neglect. Some many other things it was in the news.
The company HARC was taken over by another company. The new company made cuts and let a lot of people go and i was one.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
Became unstable and stressful
challenging, tiring, sometimes rewarding
Vocational Day Program Job Coach (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTFebruary 1, 2015
Working at HARC was fun but after new management came in everything changed. It's a more stressful environment only because the job coaches have to advocate more for the participants. Now its all about making a good impression when potential families come in to see the program but the rest of the time just do what you can in
whatever way you can in an overcrowded environment with a difficult management team. This is especially true on the second floor. It's very frustrating when management is more worried about employees punching in to work one minute late instead of worrying about the personal care and needs of our mentally challenged participants. I have learned that in healthcare there are very few people that work in this field because they care about others whether they are mentally challenged or not. A lot of people just think about making a buck. and since there really is no money in working with the mentally challenged, it's really frustrating for those of us who really care. Co-workers are co-workers everywhere, you have good ones and not so good ones but you have to work with everybody.The most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job is that you know that you have made life easier for someone else even if it's just by changing a diaper, repositioning someone, or making sure that they are comfortable. Plus even though most of the participants can't tell you what and how they feel, when they give you a nice big smile, you know that you have accomplished something good. That is the one reason why many of us stick around because to us IT IS ALL ABOUT THE PARTICIPANT!
Pros
work hours 1st shift Monday-Friday, helping those who can't do for themselves, just being employed
Cons
lousy pay, working lunch, healthcare plan is useless, vacation and sick days are not separate, union does nothing for you but take your money
productive work place
Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 11, 2014
working with individual intellectual disability's in the day program setting. Taking individual to different job sites.
ok
assistant manager (Current Employee) –  tampa,flMarch 30, 2014
• Direct care staff
• Supervising a staff of 6 and residents
• Maintain report files, typing various correspondences, maintain scheduling appointments
• Responsible for maintaining and sorting the mail as well as office supplies, and other clerical duties
nice people
staff (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTFebruary 8, 2014
the company is well established and really cares about it clients. The benefits are a but expensive otherwise it is a great place to work.
Excellent culture, true to mission and vision.
Director of Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTAugust 7, 2013
I truly loved working at HARC. The culture is warm and integrity is superb.
Good working environment
Floating Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJuly 15, 2013
HARC INC. is a company that provides help and services to people with disabilities. The company shows good morals, trains their staff efficiently, and has some of the friendliest staff I have ever worked with.
Pros
Good Job Sites
Cons
No breaks, lack of communication with job openings.
Interesting but can be stressful
Office Assistant/ Receptionist/Respite Provider (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTMay 19, 2013
At the time of my employment, I knew mostly everyone there and still do. My mother works there so my co-workers did treat me sometimes like they were better than me. But a typical day would be coming in at 8am, setting up the office, going through voice messages, putting reports in files, writing up new reports and so on.

At around 3pm I would start my Respite job would consist of picking up the child I was in charge of, making sure they ate, bringing them where they needed to go or take them places. Then bring them back home.

Some of my co-workers in the office area could be very rude and would make snide comments. They would sometimes try and bully me because my mother worked there. But my bosses made sure that if it started it stopped instantly.

The hardest part of the job was in the beginning, as a Respite Provider, I had no clue what I was doing and I was just put right in it.

The most enjoyable part was working in the office, working with the kids, helping them with their studies if they had any or just letting them play.
fun place to work in
CNA/ Job coach (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 5, 2012
It is an amazing work place I loved working there the short time I was there with my temp agency I enjoyed working with the disabled kids Im hoping to find another job like this one
Pros
mon-fri 9am-3pm
Cons
working for a temp agency no benefits no holiday pay
fun place to work staff very caring and compassionate
Internship (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTAugust 23, 2012
Would suggest any one of my friends looking for work to work at HARC.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HARC. Our community is ready to answer.