Hard Rock International

Hard Rock International Employee Reviews

Work! Work! Work!
Host (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 9, 2015
Before working at this location, Hard Rock Cafe was to be a big part of my future. I would've gone to my grave with my Hard Rock pins and name-tag. In fact, I was involved in creating designs for a couple pins. Going to work was always fun at first. "I'm gonna kick this door down, and rock out to my favorite jams and have fun, and I'm going to be on top of my game"! Halfway through my shift I'm left to myself thinking about how miserable I am. Being the new guy, I was put upstairs by the door with very little to no interaction at all. Management was okay. As much as I liked my General managers enthusiasm in hearing about my day, or what hair-color am I going to wear tomorrow, I don't think my managers really took the time to get to know what kind of person I am. I got in trouble for things I had no control over. Though, I'm very good at taking initiative my flaws were based on other stuff that was beyond my job title, like telling other employees to get back to work or when I would help a customer before replying to a coworker on the radio within three seconds. Having someone in your ear asking over and over if you heard them and how inefficient you are is annoying, especially when that whole time you were speaking to a customer. I'll say "heard" when I'm able to speak. That would be the hardest part of my job I guess. I enjoyed interacting with coworkers and customers, listening to classic rock music, keeping busy by checking restrooms and spot-sweeping, seeing if anyone needed help. Of course being the kind of host I was expected to be, meaning just standing by the door, I  more... didn't let that stop me from doing other things that wouldn't even phase anyone else. I was bored and wanted to branch out to other departments like being a server or joining the retail team. I explained it to almost every manager but I wasn't taken seriously. Nobody really realized that I loved my job, that I would go through so much trouble to get to work, that I'd wait up to an hour to be picked up in the middle of the night in the middle of an unfamiliar city. Having to do all of that might have been worth it, if only I had enjoyed my job just a little more. I guess you can say I dedicated myself to a job that didn't deserve my compassion. I got tired and resigned from the job I took very seriously. I didn't resign because of a silly reason, I resigned because there was no good to outweigh the bad.  less
Pros
Music. Maintaining a rock & roll lifestyle. 50% menu items and retail.
Cons
People forget that their job is supposed to fun. Serious, but fun.
Such Potential, Such a Waste
Sales (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSMay 25, 2014
Starting work for Hard Rock was very exciting! Glitz and glam, a long interesting history, and a diverse culture.

I started at the very lowest sales position because there was nothing higher available, and I figured that with my background and history I would quickly meet people and find ways to move up inside the company.

Different days were always hit-and-miss. Some were really fast paced, others were very very slow and long.

Their training method really left a lot to be desired. I spend a week training one-on-one with a manuel, but after all the training I still had to learn how to use all of the programs and things I needed to do my job on my own. I knew more than you can imagine about their history and culture though!

The management in this company really shocked me. It is the only company I have worked for where the management team (usually 5 or 6 managers) did very little themselves other than harbor and ENCOURAGE workplace hostility. Most days I never saw a manager after they clocked in unless they were coming to get someone to write up, which seems like something they are trained to do at the drop of a hat. Dispite the lack of responsibility on their parts to train and develop employees in a positive manner. Only one manager ever seemed to try and recognize their employees, and they were quickly shut down by others every single time.

All of the co-workers were amazing. Everyone knew how the managers were and just did their jobs and went home as fast as they could. There were a lot of people I saw come and go I would have given my hind teeth to have on any staff
  more... I've ever managed, but they would get run off faster than you could imagine. The favoritism and hostility bread by management makes it a very toxic work environment for it's employees, but their pay and benefits are far above those of comparable positions in other companies so people stick around.

The hardest part of the job was having to deal with it while trying to find another. Referring to the work environment as toxic is the nicest way I could think to put it. I found the most frusterating thing to be the lack of communication or cooperation from upper-management or corporate contacts. There is very much a "looking out for your own" mentality from their corporate office.

I did find the customers very enjoyable. The Hard Rock draws a very diverse and interesting crown from all over the world
Pros
good pay, good benefits, interesting history
Cons
favoritism, no chance for advancement, toxic work environment
Excellent Culture, you can truly be yourself.
Purchasing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 4, 2012
Overall The Hard Rock Hotel San Diego has been an excellent stepping stone in my progression as a business professional. I have learned so much since I started there almost 3 years ago. The team/family vibe is second to none and the leadrship team truly cares about their staff members. A typical day at work consists of buying and ordering all food and beverage for the departments within the hotel and its restuarants. Placing orders are not limited to food and beverage, I order all cleaning supplies, engineering supplies, office supplies, furniture and anything else the hotel requires on a daily basis. I creat purchase orders, create relationships with vendors along with creating spreadsheets, charts and so on. I have a great manager who really cares about what we need to have to effectively operate as a department. My co-workers are some of the best people I could ever ask to work with, it has truly been (currently as I am still employed) an awesome ride and I couldn't ask for better people to work with. The hardest part of the job is our month end process. This process is always very hectic as we conduct inventory throughout the hotel and report everything to our Finance department, which is our sister department. There is a very long process that month ends consist of and it's always hectic, but when you have great team members it always seems to operate smoothly. The most enjoyable part of my job is management realizes that we have lives outside of work, this is huge as I have a family and always being able to be with them is what is truly important to me. My schedule is  more... Monday through Friday 6:30 am to 3:00 pm, how can this not be the most enjoyable part of my job!? My schedule is great and like I stated before, it allows me to have a positive life outside of work which in turn always ensures that I am always happy at work.  less
Pros
free lunch, excellent staff parties, great work environment
Cons
low pay
I used to go home everyday, miserable
HOSTESS (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 3, 2015
Management started out wonderful until the GM was let go and they moved a new one in. All the great managers started leaving and Hard Rock hired a bunch of rude, sexist, micromanaging people to replace them. I was there for 2 years and never advanced out of host even though I had serving experience. They kept hiring from outside instead of in-house. I loved my coworkers but the place went downhill. Now they're gearing the whole brand towards kids when it never really was about kids. Except weekends when they try to turn the place into a club. So... its a daycare by day and a nightclub by night. Pick one Hard Rock! I quit on Valentine's Day when my GM walked over and started yelling at me in front of customers, then disregarded the wait list and started taking customers as walk ins when other people had been waiting. I wont be yelled at and disrespected anywhere. Last and certainly not least, I NEVER got breaks. I would be overtime 8+ hours without even a 5 minute break. I talked to the GM about it before but on Valentine's day at 9 hours without a break I had just had it with them. Used to be a fun place to work. Now its just a black hole. They don't care about worker's rights. I had a manager talk down to me on many occasions. He'd order me to close the doors as he stood in front of them with his arms crossed... as I was busy doing something at the time. But he couldn't close the doors himself. Every day I would go home upset over something he said or the way he talked to me like a piece of dirt. I was there for 2 years, never got a raise or even moved up in the company. HORRIBLE,  more... I repeat, HORRIBLE management.  less
Pros
50% discount
Cons
no hours, little pay
A very touristic workplace
Kiosk Attendant (on call) (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 10, 2015
My experience here wasn't as enjoyable as I would have liked, but only because I wasn't given much work. It was way too slow and inactive for me, so I felt like I was being very unproductive. It would only get very busy for a time on special events and busier on the weekends.

I learned about what it was that I wanted and which positions would have been much better for me in that particular setting. The management staff were very nice and sweet, and I got along with all the co-workers.

The hardest part of the job for me was having to stand there for long periods of time without doing anything. Luckily the job was only two times a week, but I didn't stay there for long since I figured it wasn't the best job for me.

The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to some of the other workers, like the security guards close to me and the breaks for lunch. Also, I got to work with merchandise and sell them! Aside from that, I got to see the different kinds of people that come into the Hard Rock Hotel Rehab pool whom I enjoyed greeting.
Pros
great lunch food, special event days at the pool, retailing experience
Cons
too slow of a position
Fun and exciting workplace
Waitress, Marketing Assistant, Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 19, 2015
Four years of working in the restaurant industry was a very enlightening experience. It consisted of meeting people from different regions throughout the world and generating unforgettable experiences. A typical day entailed a high volume environment, while dancing to music of all genres. Having the leisure to promote your individuality, while stimulating meaningful relationships within the workplace and with our consumers. The hardest part of working in the industry was the long hours on your feet, minimal breaks, and dealing with impolite individuals. Furthermore the operational management team lack communication skills, and were very ill-manner. Despite those areas of dissatisfaction I enjoyed working with Hard Rock Cafe, their corporation taught me how to communicate with persons from different culture backgrounds, and how to manage individual characteristic traits ( Love all serve all) , it help to professional refined me, and enhance my artistic judgement.
Pros
Community Outreach
Cons
No breaks
Rock and roll, good food, and a workplace that promotes individuality.
Kitchen Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 24, 2014
A typical day at work starts at 5am, first I conduct an inventory of the main coolers and freezer, then I check the daily prep list and assign tasks to team members in their scheduled roles ( butcher, saucier, breakfast prep, room service etc. ) I monitor the distribution of prepared food to assigned outlets, monitor temperature logs, oil filtering system and interact with FOH managers and deal with any food related issues. The management team at the Hard Rock Hotel have long tenure, some being with the company since the hotel opened 12 years ago. The hardest part sometimes is juggling all the moving parts especially during banquet season. However, team members are very friendly and are sincerely kind.
Pros
positive working environment and fun place to work in.
Cons
hourly compensation can be below average depending on department
Fast/Productive Work Enivornment
Busser/Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 11, 2013
-Typical Day:Staff meeting to go over the days events and updated on anything on the casino policy, Stock the station before opening the restaurant, short out the breaks for the bussers, open restaurant, assist servers in clearing dirty dishes, bus tables after verifying customers have left. Keep stations stock through the shift, and not left it effect the tables being bus so always have at least to bussers on the floor. and continue this system through the shift. towards the end we start to shut down unneeded stations and cleaning up and at the end the lead has to take inventory of the supplies needs to stock the stations with, give it to the supervisor before clocking out.
-Hardest part: Coordinating with the Waitresses
-Most Enjoyable: Having a good team that worked well with the fast pace of the restaurant
-I learned a lot when it came to getting a team to work together.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
management didnt work well with the employees
Legendary Rock and Roll
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Denmark, SCApril 27, 2012
I would go straight to my hostess stand. Make sure everything was clean and properly presented. Made sure our guests were happy and had everything they needed. Told them about our memorabilia.
I would wash all the drink and dinner menus by the end of the night.

I leared to work hard, be patient and found out what great customer service is and what it means to a restaurant.

My co-workers were often had a lot of personal drama going on, but besides from that we all got a long quite well.

The hardest part was when we had a 3 hours waiting list and celebrities and Hard Rock members would walk in - they would have priority seating, which led to some very unhappy guests in the waiting line which we couldn't do much about since they do not give out free drinks etc.
Pros
free dinner, great healthcare
Cons
no breaks
It is a great place to work and advance your career in the gaming industry
Floor Attendant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 30, 2015
There is constant work to do and a full day once you start sometimes chaotic but overall very busy and a fun environment, the guests are great and understanding and help deliver that fun and exciting environment to work in. I learned many new ways to sanitize and clean different things and time management. My co workers are great to work with and we always had a great time at work. The hardest part of the job is when you have a disgruntled guest that has a problem with another guest or another employee and a mess ensues and usually its bad but the best part about it was we got to dance and sing in our departments and jam with the guests and that made it a great place to work and you got to meet so many new people daily.
Pros
Employee appreciation day/week every four months they would have giveaways and contests
Cons
healthcare was not that good was too expensive
Entertaining environment
Cashier/Order Taker/Mini-Bar (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 29, 2015
The benefits were great overall. Getting sufficient hours to afford a lifestyle was efficient. Managers were more secure then employees and worked with a lower expectation then an employee underneath them. Favoritism was a big deal and it affected many situations. The line of communication from the employee to the HR staff was very little. And did not always stay anonymous as it should be. There is no grace period, however due to busy seasons the employees have to catch a shuttle from a off-site parking lot and sometimes the shuttles arrived late. This made the employee late and the employee was pointed for the lateness.
Pros
Free breakfast, lunch and dinner according to work schedule
Cons
Managers were complacent and had no care in the way they performed their jobs
Great Culture and Company Structure
Sales and Catering Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 25, 2015
As the sales and catering coordinator any live leads for catering or sales events and room blocks were qualified through me as I would then administer the leads out to the appropriate manager and then respond to client accordingly. I learned a lot about sales and revenue, as well as systems such as Delphi and Opera. The management team was very involved in all employee activity. Co-workers worked in a very close environment where everyone was actively working with one another. The hardest part of the job was tuning out in a high traffic area, near the printer and around a hand full of chatter boxes although that was also my favorite part of working there. I loved my co-workers and for some individuals like myself, noise is just a golden as silence.
Pros
free lunches
Very vibrant lounge and lobby
CONCIERGE (Former Employee) –  Orlando FlNovember 24, 2014
Hard Rock was amazing. Coming in with no experience in hospitality, was nerve wrecking but in no time the atmosphere had me feeling completely at home. A typical day at The Hard Rock (working in the VIP lounge) always starts off pretty busy. We open the lounge at 5AM. and set up a continental breakfast for our guests. During our breakfast our we usually take this time to converse with guests and get to know them a little better. I loved my coworkers and management. Everyone is so inviting and down to earth, its almost like family. The most difficult part of my job was just having to keep up with every guests wants and needs at the same time while trying keep the lounge clean. I loved that we were able to try the restaurants and wine bars that we always promoted.
Used to be a great place to work
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 24, 2015
When I started 9 years ago, it was an amazing company to work for, but after getting bought by the Seminole Tribe out of Florida, not so much anymore. The direction of the company used to be about the people, culture and 100% guest focused. Now it's about how much money the Tribe can get to invest in their casinos.

Benefits are slowly getting striped away and they give themselves raises and put all hourly staff and managers on a pay freeze for two years to increase profits.

I am planning on leaving due to this. I hope they bring back what this company used to be.
Pros
Pay is good, unique place to work, locations all over the world.
Cons
Longer hours, lost vacation time, getting benefits cut.
Fun environment and big learning experience
Busser/Host (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 27, 2014
Hard Rock has a steady flow of customers. It is fast paced and in my position there was a lot of work to be done. I learned how to operate in a restaurant environment and move quickly to clear tables to the dishwasher. I love what Hard Rock stands for which is equality and serve all. The memorabilia on the wall is beautiful to look at and most importantly I found a momentum I could work in everyday and produce a top performance. An important part was that I was always able to take care of myself. I worked closely with my team and together we worked hard and it paid off greatly. I would love to explore more Hard Rock locations and have different experiences with the company.
A Fun, Energetic and Fast pace Enviroment
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, FLSeptember 22, 2014
A typical day consist of either me open or closing the stores. But either way after the procedures of opening the store you would check for anything needed in both the Hotel/ Casino and Café store.
As a team we assist one another in producing sales as individuals and as a team.
My managers are great at the roles each individual plays throughout there part in both the Café and Hotel Casino Store. Since one of the stores in inside of the Hard Rock Café restaurant we fluently converse with their employees as well which makes us feel like one big family of Hard Rockers.
The overall experience of being in that environment makes it way easy and enjoyable to work there.
Pros
discounts %
Cons
hours
A Day at the Hard Rock Cafe
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 16, 2015
I would come into work and we would have a meeting and talk about the day's plan. If anybody was having any parties we would talk about the seating, or any birthdays we would talk about what type of happy birthday to sing. We were energetic people that set the mood for the customer's experience at the Hard Rock. We also, during the day, checked the bathrooms, cleaned tables, maintained the volume of the music playing in the restaurant, and swept in the souvenir store. It was a good time working at the Hard Rock, they really didn't want much but for you to be on time and ready to work.
Pros
Anybody can walk threw the doors! Great discounts on souvenirs and food.
Cons
it was work. I wasn't a bad place
Not a bad place to work..
Preperatory Trainer (Former Employee) –  Destin, FLFebruary 28, 2014
From preparing the food to my training of new talents in the kitchen, the hard rock was a very good place to work .All though,, management and I did not see eye to eye on some subjects ,,at least they tried to meet me in some subjects...My ultimate concerns were in the way other trainers were treating the students under their guide....Management did work with me to resolve those issues.. They also made sure that proper credit was given to the individual that deserved it...My greatest regret is letting a bad day and promises from another employer end my time with the hard rock..
Pros
positive work environment, good pay, benefits..
Cons
work can get hectic..
Rockin' place to work!
Front Host, Busser, Server, Trainer, Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 3, 2013
They have a great working atmosphere. The people are not only fun but they will become your family. I was going to school and then I had a baby and the company worked around my schedule to get me the hours I wanted. They offered health care, pet health care, vision care, a company matching 401K plan, and life coaching for free. You also get 50% off on food purchases and purchases in the gift store. It is a great company to work for. They encourage to be yourself and they are very active in the community.
Pros
employee discount, matching 401k plan, vision care, diversity of workers
Cons
you never get out on the time that is on your schedule
catering event
Line cook, prep cook (Current Employee) –  boston, maJuly 2, 2015
i was asked to worked a catering event featuring Asian cuisine that featured a buffet style dinner. i was in charged of the noddles and stir fry, which i made by order. as the hours pass by and after countless containers made, it was time for the event to be over. all of the food i cooked was finished expect for the last i made. by the time it was brought back to the kitchen the staff was hungry and craved the food that was being delivered. the whole staff ate each individual serving including managers and servers. at the end of the night everybody congratulated me and loved the food that i had cooked. so much managers where eating with their hands.
Pros
good food, big kitchen