Want to see your work immediately impacting tens of millions of people every month? Want to work at a profitable consumer startup backed by one of the top VC firms in the world? Hark.com is hiring a System Engineer / Operations at our downtown office with stunning sound views and great location!
Hark is changing the way people express themselves through creating, sharing and listening to entertaining, informative and timely sound bites online and through mobile devices. We're serving up almost 100 million sound clips every month to tens of millions of people across the world. We're profitable and growing traffic 600% year over year! Our Seattle team numbers around 15 ambitious, creative, and fun folks, half of which are engineers.
The System Engineer / Operations role will share the responsibility for all server uptime (monitoring for failures, building health checks, adding and configuring new services into our monitoring software), collaborating with software engineers on system design, managing system configurations, working directly with our colocation, cloud, and CDN providers for provisioning and troubleshooting, as well as sharing on call duty for after hours escalation issues.
- 5+ years of System Engineering in a Linux environment
- Experience with designing and building parallel and distributed systems
- 2+ years of System Engineering in a services oriented architecture
- Strong DBA level relational database skills (open source such as MySQL or PostgreSQL)
- DNS, SMTP, SSH other common UNIX services
- Strong security awareness and best practices knowledge
- Configuration automation tools, networking, performance tuning, scaling
- Apache/Nginx/HA Proxy/Varnish web servers
- Framework knowledge of Ruby on Rails, Django, Drupal, Magento, etc.
- Not afraid of learning / exploring new technologies
- Great communication skills and epic enthusiasm
Bonus Extra Credit Stage:
- Amazon Web Services, S3 and other cloud services
- NoSQL such as MongoDB, Cassandra, Riak, CouchDB or others
- You love movies, quotes, and finding the worst music the internet has to offer, as much as we do.
How to Apply:
Please apply directly at: http://www.hark.com/refer-a-candidate
Along with your resume or linkedin profile, please also include the following:
- A link and/or screenshot to a few things you've recently built that you're proud of (please describe your contribution if it was a team effort).
- A list of things that you're really good at.
- Great references!
- Links to your online bits (LinkedIn, Blog, Twitter account, or anything else where we can learn more about you).
- Some suggestions on ways that we could improve hark.com (that would positively impact user experience and revenue).
We look forward to hearing from you!