Harlan Laboratories Employee Reviews

Difficult place to work
Animal Technician II (Former Employee) –  Dublin, VAOctober 28, 2016
If you're an animal lover, this job is not for you, being as rats are constantly dying.

Management was an issue, with their lack of conflict resolution.
Pros
Day Shift
Cons
Drama, couldn't leave the building at all while at work.
No real direction for employees. No ethics or ability to manage employees.
Management (Former Employee) –  WisconsinAugust 23, 2016
Lacking in overall direction and goals. Chaotic environment. Employee opinion is not respected. Compliance nightmare. Needs improvement in process and oversight.
Best animal care tech experiences
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 28, 2016
no experiences needed training is available for those who want to learn and work with animals in a lab setting very fun and important job dutiable.
Animal Care
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Dublin, VAJanuary 8, 2016
I enjoyed the animals but the management was poor. They treated their employees like dirt and worked them like a dog. I loved my co workers and the animals the work was not hard just the management was terrible
Little to no advancement opportunities
PSS Technician (Current Employee) –  Greenfield, INNovember 9, 2015
Can be a fun and laid back work environment. The best part of the job is interacting with the animals; and for the most part, choosing your activity for the day. You work at your own pace, with the understanding that Friday is your workload deadline. Leaders have little understanding of your/their job, and you are expected to train coworkers with a higher pay rate than yourself.
Pros
Paid lunches, self paced, benefits, company meetings
Cons
CEO laughs at the inquiry of raises, reguardless of company profit or your importance and dedication to the company.
Its a job....
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Haslett, MIOctober 11, 2015
A typical day at work consists of going in at 6 am and getting out before 3pm everyday. The management is pretty flexible the hours and on what time you get there as long you work 8 hours and that you get there between 5 and 6:30am and you leave by 2:30pm. The job itself is not hard at all and doesn't require any schooling what so ever. Just training by a co-worker. Basically you make sure the animals are healthy and happy and make sure the cages are cleaned and the work area is free of dirt and bacteria. I worked with chickens so I learned a lot about chickens and how they work and yes I even came to like them.
The benefits are good since you start out getting 4 hours of paid time off for every 2-weeks of pay and the insurance isn't bad either. There is even a 401K program. The management was a little lax for my liking but you do get to work with minimal supervision as long as the job is getting done. And it was close to home and it payed the bills.
Even with all that, the larger picture was that this job is the starting point for research and production of the measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine so it was great to know that working here was part of a larger cause.
Pros
Great hours and benefits
Cons
No advancement, repeatitive
poor
Ex Animal tech (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis IsolatorsAugust 5, 2015
Typical work day is 9-12 hours a day you can have 8 hours however you have to be so fast at your job. I had 962 mice that was 3 units when people quit you had 162-300 or more on top of what you already had. Harlan is a blood sucking company if you can do more the more they will ask plus you have to be a janitor and do laundry it is everyone's job on top of your units no bonus, no pay raises except when they feel like it start pay is 10.15 might go up to 10.35-10.40 in 2 years there are people making 10.65 after 5 years. Raises are not across the board they have a PEI which is what your mouse unit goal range is so if you mice die and don't produce enough off spring future breeders your PEI goes down and affects your raise. On the bright side if you love favoritism and know how to brown nose supervisors the job is perfect but don't get on the bad side you will be out of click. Coworkers are all good some bad very very high school in behavior. You will be dog tired every day this is a very very stressed mentally and physically job. Hardest part about the job is the box room gets real hot up to 75-80 degrees no air conditioning with coveralls on. The other bad part to the job is the units are very close together if you have COPD the units are so close they will be suffocating to you. Harlan does not care about your well being only how much they can suck the life out of you for the sake of money lots over time and a wonderful cup cake at the end to show your worth .
Pros
none if you love being worked to death
Cons
I have nothing good to say about to say
Great company
Driver/Logistics (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDDecember 30, 2014
HARLAN LABORITORIES
Customer Service and Sales
Responsible for the accountability of product delivered on a daily basis.
Use of manifests to determine delivery date and location along with serial numbered product.
To complete daily reports of product delivered, mileage, and customer comments.
I was my own boss
Animal Technician I bread and clean (Current Employee) –  Cumberland, INOctober 30, 2014
I would do paper work, ordering store, inventories, baking, cook, clean my DM was great the hardest part of the job was making sure every shift was covered and sometimes having to work 80 hours a week to do so.
Pros
I love working with people
Cons
the money
Tedium and repetition.
Animal Technician (Current Employee) –  Haslett, MIOctober 1, 2014
The bottom line of working at the Haslett Harlan location is that we do the same thing every single day. If that's what you like to do then it could be a good job. This is assuming you can get past the smell that thousands of rodents can make. Almost every person working their is very pleasant, though they are almost exclusively uneducated. Those that aren't pleasant though.... Well, she holds a position of power and, for some reason, seems unfirable. She's absurdly lazy and does everything she can to get out of doing her work. I'm getting cranky describing this place so I'm going to end it here. Find work elsewhere unless you're truly desperate.
management sucks
DRIVER (Current Employee) –  INJune 18, 2014
This company was just sold. Workers are lazy and management does nothing to comply.If you want to have manager that doesn't stick up for his employees then this is your place
Cage washing tech (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDMarch 23, 2014
loved working with the People I was with. the Management was great and helpful
Pros
Free Lunch
Productive, fun, different
PSS (Former Employee) –  Cumberland< INFebruary 23, 2014
I like it but they dont pay much, but sense what we do saves lifes I am all down for it.
Pros
Everyone there is nice
Cons
Dealing with dead animals
Avoid.
Manager (Former Employee) –  IndianapolisDecember 3, 2013
Where to start? I'm upset with myself for choosing this place and sticking around for too long. If you want to lose your skill set, be faced with endless mind-numbingly inconsistent procedures, and work with an upper management trying to figure out how to work together and avoid the back-stabbing long term uneducated 25+ year employees; then this is the place for you. This is not a business to be proud; it's rodents. You lower your standards and tell yourself it's for research (drink the koolaid), and then you realize how poorly equipped this place is to deal with their own incompetence. It's embarrassing to have this place listed on a resume. It's appalling what goes on here.
Pros
Entertaining bar fights courtesy of sales leadership.
Cons
Too many in nearly all areas.
job closed
Animal Technician (Former Employee) –  Branchburg, NJAugust 20, 2012
care for lab animals. very tedious job. the facility closed in 2011 due to reduction of workforce & no investment made in products sold
Pros
n/a
Cons
job closed