Harlem Children's Zone

Harlem Children's Zone Employer Reviews

A very good learning experience in human development.
Program Aide (Former Employee), New York,NYJune 30, 2014
A learning experience in interacting with children in early childhood development to adolescent years.
overwhelming
Program Aide (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 23, 2014
they dont care about their staff. its favoritism.but most staff is great like super great (most) on beginning level not management
its hard to move up if u dont kiss you no or sleep with someone. even tho you shouldnt have to do that.
you can lost your job at anytime and the kids can be outta control at times. like cursing you out or hitting you and – more... they dont really get in trouble.
plus they have you lie for the bigger ppl, like you have to lock down no kids in the hallway no bathroom no nothing when a vister is in the building hcz isnt about their mission anymore its about money/politics – less
Great energy
College Advisor (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 19, 2014
As a college advisor I was directly responsible for overseeing a case load of 40 students to help support them with their transcript and financial needs to complete their college courses on time. All interaction were to be documented describing students progress. My experience at Harlem Children Zone build on my writing and verbal skills bridging the – more... gap between the students, parents, and on campus professionals. – less
Everyday is a new learing expeience.
Teaching Assiatant (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 1, 2014
Pros: free breakfast, lunch. workshops coved by the job
Cons: very short vacation brakes
I started working at Harlem Children's Zone as a afterschool tutor while I was still in high school. I have learned a lot, such as being able to multitask work at a fast pace and much more. The company does allow you to move up, I started as a afterschool tutor and I am now a Teacher's assistant.
The site that work with is very family based which I – more... love! We help and care for one another I have gained a second family! With any job you will have your ruff days. The most enjoyable part of the job is watching your student grow. – less
HCZ
Nutrition/Culinary Educator (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 14, 2014
● Write lesson plans for biweekly nutritional focused courses taught to 150 to 175 middle and high school students featuring innovative assignments and activities for each grade level.
● Establish relationships with farmer’s market vendors for food demonstrations to feed 300 to 500 residents health conscious and culturally sensitive meals.
● Obtain – more... detailed metrics by conducting a semiannual pace maker, height, weight and BMI (Body Mass Index) evaluations on all students to track growth.
● Coordinate with 20 health professionals to receive feedback on nutrition curriculum.
● Collaborate daily with a team including a health educator and physical trainer to achieve goals. – less
Good place to work if you enjoy a student-focused, fast-paced, and entrepreneurial/creative setting
ACM College Coordinator (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 3, 2014
Pros: opportunity to make your position what you want to some degree.
If you enjoy a student-focused, fast-paced, and entrepreneurial/creative work space, HCZ will be a good fit for you.

No additional comments.
Fun workplace
Counselor, Booker T. Washington (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 2, 2014
Fun summer job ! I learned alot abouut working with other people. It allowed me to be more out going and open minded.
Productive somewhat but a lack of re implementing the core values that they preach.
College Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 23, 2014
Pros: great group of people to work with
Cons: long working hours usually 10-12 hours a day.
Though out my day I would be in charge of cleaning all facilities, managing all task involving the copier. So this would include faxing, scanning, and copying documents to emails. I also tutored college students who were at least two years under my college level so for example i tutored freshman in college while I was a junior.
Productivity within work place and staff encouragement
Tutor/Student Advocate (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 11, 2014
Pros: did their best to work with my school schedule
Cons: not enough prepared activivities for students
HCZ heped me to foster advocacy skills. I was taught to respect a student self-determination at all times. I have also acquired the skill to use srength nased perspective methods within the HCZ. I was given the freedom and trusted to build a nurturing relationship with the students. this helped to ease the minds of parents.HCZ was a great learning feild – more... and I grateful for the opportunity I was given to be part of their team – less
Great Workplace
Staff Counselor and Supervisor assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 28, 2014
A good work environment. Very nice people to be around and communicate with. From the managers all the way to the students they all knew who you were and treated you with respect.
good workplace
School Aide (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 23, 2014
had a good time working I would love to go back good management and your co-workers
A Day At Harlem Children's Zone
Personal/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYDecember 27, 2013
There is no job security. As quick as you may get hired, you will get dismissed.
ove the children, my staff is awesome
Student Advocate/Step Specialist (Current Employee), harlem NYDecember 12, 2013
overall its great to work there.
if you live close its even better...
very strict at times so you have to make sure you cover your self at all times .. petty things may go on as any other job... pay is good ... hardly see any room for advancement though ...

overall i love the children ... they keep you on your feet and they keep you hip!
Laid Back and Chill Environment
Academic Case Strategist (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 12, 2013
Pros: relaxing environment
Cons: lack of support, advancement
The atmosphere is very laid back. Most of the time you have to be independent and take the initiative at getting things done. More support needs to be given on managements part, but if you need a stepping stone in life and to learn basic competencies this is the agency for an individual.
fun
Counselor (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 12, 2013
good pay, kids, kids, kids.. If you like kids you'd love working at the Harlem children's zone
Recreational Assistant/Counselor (Former Employee), Manhattan,NYNovember 8, 2013
Pros: free trips
Cons: unorganized events
Harlem Children Zone is a non profit organization that impacts many children's lives every single day. Every day at work I feel like I impacted at least one child to go home and be happier than when they walked in.
great people, insecure in terms of compensation
Fitness Leader (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 21, 2013
Pros: flexibility, kids, fun.
Cons: a bit unstable and disorganized.
HCZ is a great organization, but it is difficult to navigate in terms of job advancement and career security.
College Advisor
College Advisor (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 3, 2013
Pros: rewarding work
Cons: lots of take home work
Great Mission
Group Worker (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 26, 2013
Pros: academica focus
Cons: low pay, hours cut, lack of communication
This organization has a great mission and serves the community well. Working for HCZ was a great experience and I was ale to leave feeling like I walked away with something.
Data Aide (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 23, 2013
Pros: different experiences.
Cons: no benefits for parttime workers.
A typical day at work will consists of signing the participants into program and asking them how was their day at school. I have learned how to help families within the community and to be a role model to the participants in the program. I learned how to management my time and to be very organized with filing away folders. While working at Harlem Children's – more... Zone my co-workers became more of a new family away from home. The hardest part of my job is dealing with the changes spur of the moment. And the most enjoyable part of the job is helping the children achieve thier goals. – less

1 2 3 4