Harlem Hospital Center Employee Reviews

Understaffed
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 28, 2017
Shortage of employees throughout the hospital resulting in sub-par patient care. Below average pay but offers good benefits
it a fun place to work. i gained a whole lot of experience at Harlem Hospital Center.
Behavioral Health Associate (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 26, 2017
Harlem Hospital Center is a great place to work.I enjoy working there. The management team are great. As a Behavioral Health Associate the hardiest part of of my job is the get the patients on the same level. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see my patients happy. When they are happy everybody is happy.
Teaching enviiornment
Registered Nurse/ Acute Care (Current Employee) –  Harlem, NYJanuary 21, 2017
productive and great workplace enviornment

good management

RN are knowledgable

Great teaching environment

I learned alot of nursing skills working with this hospital
Harlem full of life
Patient Navigator, Temporary Staff (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 18, 2016
Harlem Hospital was a great place to work and full of life. The culture was great and the humor and serious work ethic was very important to have. I hoped for my six month temporary term to continue but it was unable to and I could not prolong the trial. Great environment but serious, since I worked in the ER.
Principal Administrative Associate Excellent!!!
Principal Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 25, 2016
Managed office systems for busy office which provided services and support to major departments in Ambulatory Care Services. Prepared statistical reports, correspondence, memorandums and composed department manuals.
Pros
Interacting with various department
Cons
Per Diem (temporary)
Central Sterile Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 6, 2016
A day at Harlem Hospital Center was very informing. There were over 100 instruments to learn and prepare for surgery. It was a great place to work.
Harlem Hospital
Assistant Coordinating Manager, Ambulatory Accts (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2016
I was a great learn position Manager was great to work with.
The CEO of the hospital was hand on and has a open door.
I start out as Clerical Associate Level III was promoted twice and at the end I was Assistant Coordinating Manager
overall it was a good experience
Administered Assistant /Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 10, 2015
I was just and volunteer with Harlem Hospital an can not wait for experience of holding a full time job here. I worked with one of the best Doctor who taught me everything i need to know.
Pros
great managemnt
clerical associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 6, 2015
A typical day at work with meeting and greeting patients who come in for care. It is a very friendly atmosphere and Ive learned a lot working at Harlem Hospital Center.
Fast paced work envirinment
Associate Executive Director, Ambulatory Care (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 2, 2015
Extremely challenged with meeting expectations. Leadership lacked key skills to manage hospital operations. Managers are often not given clear guidance on deliverables.
Can be a exciting and fun place to be. But the milieu can change rapidly
Agency Nurse (Current Employee) –  NY,NYOctober 25, 2015
A typical day can be challenging because it Involves the interaction between a young group of doctors, pyhsician assistants social workers and therapists and phychologist and nurses of various nationalities and patients who are traditionally from the surrounding areas.

I have learned that lack of adequate social support within the home is a big hinderance to health promotion in the community.

Time management is very important because the patient often have health issues which can be behavioral, social and mental. For example a homeless man with calloused feet being arrested for stealing food.

My co-workers,the ancillary staff some of them live in the area and know some of the patients quite well So they are a tremendous souce of information for patient care and it helps in making the environment relaxing.

The hardest part is helping the patient with transition prcocess of inpatient to out patient because very often they are homeless and have no where to go and no relatives to interact with so they act out when it is time to be discharged. Or if they leave wilingly they often come back very soon.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a patient who was taken in by the police for being violent, using drugs and homeless with acute health issues.
Leaving willing with acute health issue resolved, no longer craving for drugs and having a placement in a group home. And most of all thanking us for helping him/her get better.
Pros
Centrally located easy for travelling to and from work and has a lot of places to eat and shop
Cons
Elevators are very slow and crowded
Productive and laid back environment
Coordinating Manager B (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 7, 2015
Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. Great work place with supportive management.
Pros
Great benefits and insurance coverage
Cons
Politics of the corporation
Overall it is a good place to work
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 28, 2015
Harlem Hospital is an excellent facility, working on the inpatient unit as a discharge case manager can be challenging ,however I love helping people. Co workers are all team players, management on the other hand can use training on professionalism.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
In my Department no room for growth
A major hospital affiliated to Medical Schools- in a minority community
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 22, 2015
Very multicultural- an inner City health care facility where leadership is recognized and encouraged. As an associate Director at that facility I was able to be creative and spontaneous.
Pros
Cafeteria where employees paid very little for food and drinks
Cons
Too far from the place I lived
A learning facility
Assistant Coordinating Manager (Current Employee) –  Harlem, NYSeptember 17, 2015
I was born and raised in harlem hospital. Mother and father retired from harlem hospital. My parents & harlem are my career step latter in my personal growth and developement at this institution. My director has been a great mentor and teacher. I enjoy learning new material, it keeps my mental healthy. My cognitive thinking strong at my age.
As for the politics, co-worker drama that you find at any job, I stay clear of all if I can help it!
Student CST
Surgical Technologist (Externship) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 26, 2015
Every morning I came into Harlem Hospital I was greeted warmly by security staff. I entered into the OR hassle free and was assigned to work with other Surgical Technologists who were willing and desired to train me with the utmost respect. I had a pleasant experience working here as an intern and I recommend this facility for its excellent patient care and staff.
Very productive place and staff
Director of Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Harlem New YorkJune 29, 2015
very nice place, people work together get things done, upper Management gave you the resources to make you successful, and everyone work together to get things done..
Pros
Very nice place to work
Cons
they turned the opperation over to a privet entity
Don't expect much professionalism here.
Staff Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 2, 2015
The staff is extremely rude. Rude to each other and rude to their patients. 85% of the staff here do not care about what they're doing. I think it mostly comes from the frustration of dealing with an administrative system that doesn't care about their employees.

There's little incentive to improve your work or treat patients well. Staff is not held accountable for unprofessionalism. Administration is not held accountable for their unprofessionalism. Everything is so over-complicated, drawn-out and disorganized that simple things take much, much longer than they should. This is probably the #1 most frustrating thing about being and employee or a patient here.

Don't count on the nursing union, NYSNA, to do ANYTHING for you. The union is just for show and is 100% worthless.

Although a large number of the employees here are black, you will still deal with racism here as a black nurse. Good luck to the Black nurses trying to get hired/transferred to acute units (ER, ICU, PICU etc.). I have seen them hire Asian nurses fresh out of school for acute units, while denying transfers to their own skilled and experienced Black nurses. There is no preference given to current employees to transfer to other units (even if their policies claim otherwise).

Also, If you get sick and need to go to the ER, don't expect to be treated quickly as an employee. It was mind-boggling to experience other hospitals give me the 5 star treatment as a courtesy for being a nurse, but your own employer will make you wait hours and hours for care in the ER. Disgraceful!

Harlem
  more... Hospital is a very toxic work environment. Because of this, the patients tend to be very aggressive and rude as well. I personally haven't experienced so much of this from patients at other institutions. I don't blame them. No one wants to be treated poorly when you're already sick and need help. Don't let the nice looking new building fool you. It's the same old unprofessional, incompetent, rude administration and staff. I would NEVER recommend Harlem Hospital as a place of employment nor as a place to receive anything above sub-standard health care.  less
Pros
Steady paycheck (not great, but decent). Good benefits (free health care, good pension/retirement plans, vacation, etc.). Job security: once you're in it's difficult to get you out unless you want to leave.
Cons
Extremely rude and unprofessional employees, lower pay than private hospitals, extremely disorganized and inefficient, stressful/toxic work environment, little room for career growth within the hospital. I've run out of characters, but could write several pages here.
Excelent inpatient care
Community Liaison Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 23, 2015
My co workers are family in nature.I learned the spirit of marketability through the management trainings,patients gained information .
Productive work place
(Temp) Patient Care Associate / Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  New York,NYJanuary 28, 2015
Vital signs : Temperature,pulse, Blood pressure
Phlebotomy: 50 to 100 draws per day
Glucometer Testing
The hardest part of my job, is keeping up with the Doctors.
The most enjoyable, part of my job are the patients, I have learned so much, likw how to deal with upset patients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harlem Hospital Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Harlem Hospital Center Reviews by Location