Harlem Hospital Center Employee Reviews in United States

A learning facility
Assistant Coordinating Manager (Current Employee) –  Harlem, NYSeptember 17, 2015
I was born and raised in harlem hospital. Mother and father retired from harlem hospital. My parents & harlem are my career step latter in my personal growth and developement at this institution. My director has been a great mentor and teacher. I enjoy learning new material, it keeps my mental healthy. My cognitive thinking strong at my age.
As for the politics, co-worker drama that you find at any job, I stay clear of all if I can help it!
Productive and laid back environment
Coordinating Manager B (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 7, 2015
Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. Great work place with supportive management.
Pros
Great benefits and insurance coverage
Cons
Politics of the corporation
Overall it is a good place to work
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 28, 2015
Harlem Hospital is an excellent facility, working on the inpatient unit as a discharge case manager can be challenging ,however I love helping people. Co workers are all team players, management on the other hand can use training on professionalism.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
In my Department no room for growth
Principal Administrative Associate Excellent!!!
Principal Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 25, 2016
Managed office systems for busy office which provided services and support to major departments in Ambulatory Care Services. Prepared statistical reports, correspondence, memorandums and composed department manuals.
Pros
Interacting with various department
Cons
Per Diem (temporary)
Harlem Hospital
Assistant Coordinating Manager, Ambulatory Accts (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2016
I was a great learn position Manager was great to work with.
The CEO of the hospital was hand on and has a open door.
I start out as Clerical Associate Level III was promoted twice and at the end I was Assistant Coordinating Manager
Central Sterile Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 6, 2016
A day at Harlem Hospital Center was very informing. There were over 100 instruments to learn and prepare for surgery. It was a great place to work.
overall it was a good experience
Administered Assistant /Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 10, 2015
I was just and volunteer with Harlem Hospital an can not wait for experience of holding a full time job here. I worked with one of the best Doctor who taught me everything i need to know.
Pros
great managemnt
stressful but productive
Clerical (Current Employee) –  new yok,December 20, 2014
A typical day at work is extremely busy and stressful.
I have learned that you have to come prepared to work hard
I have also learned not to take things personal. You have to love what you do in order to be effective. You have to also be prepared to deal with difficult patients, co-workers as well as management. I don't think it is a hard job. Once you implement your skills, it is not difficult at all. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that at the end of the day you have made a difference in someone's life.
It is very satisfying to know that you have helped people who are sick and are having a difficult day. With kindness, compassion and understanding as well as having an open ear to listen to their complaints, frustrations, etc.,
Pros
lots of holidays
Cons
i feel that i am not compesated enough for all the work i do
Fast paced work envirinment
Associate Executive Director, Ambulatory Care (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 2, 2015
Extremely challenged with meeting expectations. Leadership lacked key skills to manage hospital operations. Managers are often not given clear guidance on deliverables.
clerical associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 6, 2015
A typical day at work with meeting and greeting patients who come in for care. It is a very friendly atmosphere and Ive learned a lot working at Harlem Hospital Center.
An extraordinary Facility
Coordinating manager (Former Employee) –  New york cityJune 28, 2012
I owe Harlem Hospital my overall career development and growth.
It is a facility filled with brilliant, dedicated, professionals... however, Harlem needs to continue to grow in the right direction, This hospital is an icon in gifted community, that has experienced and survived thru more turbulent times ever known. However, Harlem requires a major long and extended meeting of the minds, to truly excelle in this extraordinary community, filled with so much history and legends, alot is owed to our heritage! Pay it back. In terms of management it needs to be examined under a giant microscope, very often small clans of people are allowed to " create and sabotage others".

The hardest part of employment was the lack of a fair and supporitive managment and other representatives.

The most enjoyable part is and was being surrounded by so many talented people, who often went unnoticed, and also, the changes and assistance made to so many patients and the community, to provide, Care quality, and respect, and improve all health.
Pros
trainings, medical providers, benefits
Cons
lack of morale attitude, management issues
A major hospital affiliated to Medical Schools- in a minority community
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 22, 2015
Very multicultural- an inner City health care facility where leadership is recognized and encouraged. As an associate Director at that facility I was able to be creative and spontaneous.
Pros
Cafeteria where employees paid very little for food and drinks
Cons
Too far from the place I lived
Very productive place and staff
Director of Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Harlem New YorkJune 29, 2015
very nice place, people work together get things done, upper Management gave you the resources to make you successful, and everyone work together to get things done..
Pros
Very nice place to work
Cons
they turned the opperation over to a privet entity
Don't expect much professionalism here.
Staff Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 2, 2015
The staff is extremely rude. Rude to each other and rude to their patients. 85% of the staff here do not care about what they're doing. I think it mostly comes from the frustration of dealing with an administrative system that doesn't care about their employees.

There's little incentive to improve your work or treat patients well. Staff is not held accountable for unprofessionalism. Administration is not held accountable for their unprofessionalism. Everything is so over-complicated, drawn-out and disorganized that simple things take much, much longer than they should. This is probably the #1 most frustrating thing about being and employee or a patient here.

Don't count on the nursing union, NYSNA, to do ANYTHING for you. The union is just for show and is 100% worthless.

Although a large number of the employees here are black, you will still deal with racism here as a black nurse. Good luck to the Black nurses trying to get hired/transferred to acute units (ER, ICU, PICU etc.). I have seen them hire Asian nurses fresh out of school for acute units, while denying transfers to their own skilled and experienced Black nurses. There is no preference given to current employees to transfer to other units (even if their policies claim otherwise).

Also, If you get sick and need to go to the ER, don't expect to be treated quickly as an employee. It was mind-boggling to experience other hospitals give me the 5 star treatment as a courtesy for being a nurse, but your own employer will make you wait hours and hours for care in the ER. Disgraceful!

Harlem
  more... Hospital is a very toxic work environment. Because of this, the patients tend to be very aggressive and rude as well. I personally haven't experienced so much of this from patients at other institutions. I don't blame them. No one wants to be treated poorly when you're already sick and need help. Don't let the nice looking new building fool you. It's the same old unprofessional, incompetent, rude administration and staff. I would NEVER recommend Harlem Hospital as a place of employment nor as a place to receive anything above sub-standard health care.  less
Pros
Steady paycheck (not great, but decent). Good benefits (free health care, good pension/retirement plans, vacation, etc.). Job security: once you're in it's difficult to get you out unless you want to leave.
Cons
Extremely rude and unprofessional employees, lower pay than private hospitals, extremely disorganized and inefficient, stressful/toxic work environment, little room for career growth within the hospital. I've run out of characters, but could write several pages here.
Student CST
Surgical Technologist (Externship) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 26, 2015
Every morning I came into Harlem Hospital I was greeted warmly by security staff. I entered into the OR hassle free and was assigned to work with other Surgical Technologists who were willing and desired to train me with the utmost respect. I had a pleasant experience working here as an intern and I recommend this facility for its excellent patient care and staff.
Workplace Review
Clerical Associate III (Former Employee) –  Harlem, NYJanuary 14, 2015
Usually, the office environment comprises of practiced trainings, and learning atmosphere with a good management team. The hospital mission statement is to provide the best quality healthcare available to the general public in a caring and respectful way and be socially responsible to the community. My greatest strength is being flexible to handle change and ability to turn around a negative environment into positive ones; likewise recognizing people have varied perspective about assignments, priorities and objectives. Effective collaboration and developing a supportive team is rewarding feeling in the execution of a project. So, cross training and effective communication skill is critical to accomplishing specific task, as well positive reinforcement and awareness of what others work on, plus soliciting feedback from the team members are essential so ensure measurable, attainable, realistic, and time sensitive end goals. The toughest part of the job having to empathize with the family members when grieving a love one or sick relative, but with care, respect and on the job training plus grievance counselors to assisting we are trained to handle such situations. The best part of working in my worksite is the ability to work with people which I enjoy and capability to learn new things from my work experience every day.
Pros
free classes on all the new systems, and wonderful healthcare benefits
Cons
shorts breaks
Excelent inpatient care
Community Liaison Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 23, 2015
My co workers are family in nature.I learned the spirit of marketability through the management trainings,patients gained information .
Productive and challenging work place.
Associate Director - Health Information Department (Former Employee) –  New YorkOctober 8, 2012
The period I worked at Harlem Hospital was very challenging, a typical day was focused on managing over 43 line staff and keeping them motivated. Presently, there is a new Executive and I am not sure what a present work day is at Harlem Hospital. My coworkers were very supportive, the hardest part of the job was compliance and deadlines, the most enjoyable was staying ahead of all expectations.
Fun work place with lots of annual activities and coworkers are friendly
Charge Nurse/Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 1, 2014
Harlem Hospital Center is very diverse and cultural sensitive. The atmosphere is welcoming. There a sense of belonging.
Pros
harlem hospital center is a good teaching hospitl
Cons
immediate management can be punitive, stunt of opportunity growth. it is also difficult to get through chain of command
Harlem Hospital
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  New York New yorkJune 19, 2014
My day was always stressful. I lean how to purchasing for environment of service for the all maintenance staff. Including clothes to machines & products for the all department. Management was very unprofessional. the co-workers just needed a good leader. The hardest part of my job was will & not getting paid my value. The most enjoyed part of my day was to be able to help the patients. that put a smile to my face every day. thats one thing a miss bad.
Cons
great heath care

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harlem Hospital Center. Our community is ready to answer.