Harlem RBI

Harlem RBI Employer Reviews

Strong cultured fast paced environment revolving aroud youth developement
Youth Development Specialist (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 3, 2014
Harlem RBI is a year around non profit youth development organization that caters to inner city youth and families throughout New York City. I love how they use the power of organized team sports to instill life skills and supply academic support for at risk youth. I spent a total of 11 years in the program; 6 as a youth participant and 5 as an employee. – more... I would recommend the program to any parent looking to get their child involved in organized sports and obtain an extra support system gearing their child in the right direction. – less
Productive and Fun with kids
AMERICORPS LEARNING COACH (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 10, 2014
Pros: youth experience, baseball activities, opportunities to grow in certain skills
Cons: pay
I work in an after-school program. A typical work day would be 3 1/2 hours from 3pm - 6:30pm Monday through Friday. I work with about 18 to 20 youth in a classroom setting. The start of the program, youth are doing their homework from 3:30-4:30pm. Then depending on the activity schedule for the day, the rest of the day will consist of having workshop, – more... this is where a teacher is present in the room facilitating reading and literacy activities, and after we have fun and engaging activities. Also before program hours, I would volunteer in the office to satisfy my Americorps hours in order for me to receive my education award

While volunteering in the office, not only did I do administrative duties, I was given the opportunity to work with the data base team; inputting and updating data. I also got the opportunity to interview possible candidates for assistant coach and umpire positions.

My coworkers are the most wonderful people I have worked with. They are extremely helpful, positive thinkers, motivated and determined workers.

The hardest part of my job would probably be having to deal with behavior issues with the youth because each one has a different personality and I have to come up with different ways to handle each one.

The most enjoyable part of my job is building relationships with the kids and being able to be someone that they can trust and look up too. I also love getting the chance to build my baseball skills along with the youth when they have baseball. – less
This company is garbage. BEWARE.
STAFF ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee), 333 EAST 100TH STREETMarch 2, 2014
Cons: they prefer kids over adults
YOU CAN GIVE YOUR HEART SOUL TO THIS COMPANY AND THE WILL FIRE YOU WITHOUT ANY REASON. ALL THEY ARE LOOKING FOR IS SOME EXPERIENCED PERSON TO HELP THEM CATCHUP ON THEIR WORK AND THEN GET RID OF YOU BECAUSE THEY HAVE A POLICY IN THEIR HANDBOOK THAT THEY CAN FIRE YOU WITH OR WITHOUT CAUSE ANYTIME.
BEWARE, BEWARE, BEWARE AND BEWARE.
Great Environment but lack of benefits
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: free suite tickets to arenas
Cons: short breaks, if any and poor pay
This is a mainly based around baseball so we work with children. I work at the front desk so of course I have to keep everything in place because I'm representing the company. Mark Teixiera, one of the players from the Yankees, is one of our board members as well as his sister also is a director here, so we tend to have major visitors often here. Some – more... of the perks of working here are sometimes we receive free suite tickets to games whether its baseball, basketball or etc. I just wished there were much better benefits for the part-timers considering we work very hard here. – less
great organization
Summer Employee (Former Employee), new york, NYNovember 21, 2013
awesome place to work and greeat place to sent your kids to playball
Productive and fun day with kids and coaches
Assistant Coach (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 7, 2013
A typical day at work involved interacting with my young baseball players. As an assistant baseball coach of a little league baseball team I helped create baseball drills to improve the physical and mental skills of the players. The physical skills includes the skills to run the bases, throw and catch properly. The mental skills included the ability – more... to communicate well with other teammates and learn the importance of teamwork. I learned that working with little kids through the game of baseball can help you learn things about yourself that you did not know. The hardest part of the job was learning how to control the kids when they would not listen. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching, teaching and coaching the kids about baseball. – less
Fun and Enjoyable job as a tutor
Volunteer Tutor (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 16, 2012
A typical day of tutoring consists of helping middle school students with homework or any academic work. The enjoyable part of being a tutor is see the expression of the students face when they find out how easy their homework is.
Appreciation and growth
Program Data Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 7, 2012
I've known the company and very few of its employee's for 10+ years. As an alumni of the organization, I am true believer and supporter if its mission statement and values. As an employee, I would say it wasn't the best decision for me.
Very cutthroat organization
Youth Worker (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 13, 2012
like the Stepford Wives, don't be fooled by the appearance of this agency. The agency values output more than input with managers with little to no experience in running a nonprofit.

September 17, 2012

Yes, Harlem RBI was very cut throat. When I learned I didn't possess the right chemistry for the position of Executive Assistant, I learned about a month later that that exact position, along with about 3 senior level management positions were posted again! I'm glad I didn't fit their mold, glad I didn't get into a bad situation.

Baseball after school program with young children
Team Leader/Baseball Coach (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYMay 8, 2012
Pros: free lunch, playing with kids, a walk to and from home, weekends off
Cons: was only part time, only 9 months out of the year.
Everyday all of the coaches would meet with our Superior and discuss they daily plans. This included, who would need to double up if a coach was absent, who was going to the gym, what was being served for lunch, and what was expect from us at the end of the day. Everyday was different, there was routine... but with 20 children in a class, nothing can – more... ever be executed to the tee.
Daily as the children arrived, I ensured they respected the facility we were allowed to use. This meant, hanging up their coats, placing their book bags in a line along the wall, not yelling, no running. Once the group was settled, it was time for homework. I required they each finish at least 1 sheet before asking to receive a snack. If they didn’t have home work they were asked to help a schoolmate or read a book and draw a picture based on what they read. As each child claimed to finish, I checked homework. When finished, as a team we cleaned our mess, put books in book bags, and went to the days activity.
Some days we went outside to practice, to the auditorium to listen to a story, or to the classroom to sharpen their reading and writing skills. When outside, sharing, caring and playing fairly were emphasized. Taking turns and being a good friend was only a piece to the puzzle of becoming a team. Days like this were a bit easier, playing nicely with children isn’t that hard. Working in the class room is where my skills really were put to work. Not every student was on the same reading level, an assessment was carried out to see who was compatible with whom. Then I created smaller teams of groups who could choose to either write, read or draw stories to read to the class on the upcoming Friday.
Overall it was a great experience, I really enjoyed working with the children and being a strong part of their self esteem boost. – less
This workplace was fun and i learned a lot from others
Coach (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 2, 2012
Pros: worked with most of my teammates
Cons: travel, sunny days
Have a workshop in 9am to 11:30am after lunch 2pm to 5pm I was with kids in the baseball field. Things I learned was that responsibly of each child is very important. The management was fair and assigned many task. My co-workers were two college coaches. The hardest part about the job was to be energetic on hot sunny days. What I enjoyed was that I – more... was teaching the game of baseball. – less