Harley Marine Services Employee Reviews

Poor Management
Mate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 10, 2017
For the most part the crews are good. Management is incompetent and your job is only secure if you are part of the click. Many good mariners were let go in my 2 years with the company.
Quick paced lack of direction
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 6, 2017
Poor communications between dispatchers, Port Captains, Engineers and Barge Ops (every man for themselves). Hustle to get equipment moving with risk and complacency. Incidents kept off the books as much as possible.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Managment is the worst.Tugs are old.backstabbers run Amok.
Tugger Driver (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 31, 2017
lowest pay I have ever had. Safety is a Joke. they pump raw sewage in the Duwamish river. Management is who kisses the bosses but the best. you have to wonder why they run ads for help 24/7. do yourself a favor and go elsewhere.
Pros
you get promoted if your a Cull
Cons
you get fired if your have inegrity.honesty and speak your mind.
Great Company to be part of
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 7, 2017
fast-paced company.
learned to winged it sometimes
management some good, some not so sure
culture is slowly dying- when I came aboard, culture was somewhat fun, exciting as I grow - culture diminishing
Communications from different dept.
always busy
Pros
Family Oriented
Cons
Accounting Dept tend to not take breaks due to it being fast-paced
Work enviroment keeps your attention
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Channelview, TXJanuary 3, 2017
The typical day on the boat is consisted of waking up several times a day to work. The bunkering side of the job has a little more culture then the line haul side. The bunkering side deals with more foreigners then the line haul. My co-workers are very diverse and very helpful.
Pros
The money and the benfits
Cons
Long hours with very little sleep and little information on what the job pertains.
Last resort
Boat (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 9, 2016
Managment is bad office people look down on boat people. Boat crews not welcome at work parties or events. Building has a gym but we are not allowed to go. Owner has a show off car that was 300000 but we park 2 blocks away. Dispatcher lie to people. Boats are old. Checks cash. Got a few new managers I wondered if things would get better but they have no power over the poor ones that still run it all. Seen a lot of problems get ignored. They only fix things when they brake an only give raises when people quit. If they cared about there people it would be a good career its a rotating door. Advancement is a popularity contest good guys move on and bad ones stay because they cant find any thing else. Building more boats and not giving fair pay. Would not go back
Pros
Paychecks cashed. Some great people. Lots of hours
Cons
Less pay benifits and other things than comparable companys
Dangerous Boats
Mate Tankman (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 4, 2016
I've worked on a variety of ships and boats for years and have a 1600 ton master ticket. But I have never thought that a boat might kill me until I worked there. The safety culture is a joke. The hand rails and bulwarks were rusted through. Fuel tanks leaked into the bilge. Ballast tanks leaked into the head. The boats look like refloated ship wrecks and one of them is! The barges are new, but they don't give you a chance to do any maintenance so most of the blanks are rusted in place. The guy who runs it drives a Bentley and literally looks down at the boats through a golden telescope from his office. You will get in trouble if he sees you go outside to make a phone call even if the boats are laid up. The port captain who hired me lied and said all of there boats were being replaced. I drove by a few weeks ago and the same rust buckets are still there. They built some new ATB's, but I've heard those are terrible too. Some of the captains are cool, some are insane. There is almost no opportunity for advancement. Mates who have been working there for years and never get a chance to move up. They hire almost all of their captains from other companies, so it gives you no motivation to try and work harder and get a promotion. And be prepared to be constantly asked to come work on your off time. If you tell them you can't come in they will threaten to fire you. If you complain about anything, they will threaten to fire you. The turn around is crazy high. Do you wonder why these guys are always hiring? it's because people constantly quit. I would only recommend working there if you're  more... desperate. I can only speak for the tug and barge side, I think it's better on the ship assist boats.The office workers, HR ect. seem to have it pretty good, but maritime operations stinks.  less
Pros
Easy to get hired, good stores budget.
Cons
Dangerous, no advancement, management is terrible. No overtime rate.
great career
Bunker Tankerma/Steersman (Current Employee) –  Channelview, TXOctober 28, 2012
working on a tug is a great career with great compensation. Harley Marine Gulf is growing by the day and has plenty of room for advancement and stability
Pros
great pay, great company
Cons
being away from home for 14-28 days at a time
Half day comp once a month
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 21, 2012
Daily data entry and PO matching, process credit card purchases, check run every other week-matching invoices with checks. Month end process. Working with 2 other specialist.
Pros
half day comp once a month
Cons
late night at month end

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harley Marine Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6