HARMAN

HARMAN Employee Reviews

Disappointing
Engineer (Former Employee) –  UndisclosedJanuary 20, 2015
I expected better things from HARMAN, seeing how it's such a big name company. All I know is that there are many divisions and companies in HARMAN and it totally depends on where you work, but where I worked at, I will not disclose location, we had a poor management team. I worked for one of the under-developed brands of HARMAN, and needless to say it showed!! They were trying to push out 4 products a year with a small team of engineers, corners being cut left and right, very poor design cycle, at times we were told what to do from some guy on the phone who I'd never seen in my life... in my head I was thinking who the f... is this person that's promising this stupid stuff. Oh and by the way the products we worked on sucked by my standards. Over priced pieces of metal in my opinion because there was nothing special about the electronics. Nonetheless if you're considering taking a job with Harman, ask about which brands you'll be working on, and do your research on that brand because some of their brands do suck... and alot of times what they do is take existing electronics from another company and put it their boxes, which I thought was very disappointing... when I heard that I was thinking why the f... did you hire me if you're going to take something that exists and put in your metal ?? ... In addition you had no opinion there, they only decided to listen to my opinion when I told them I was leaving for another company
Pros
the facility was nice
Cons
the work environment was toxic
Great people and great atmosphere breeds success
Certification Domain Test Lead (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIOctober 7, 2015
A typical day of work involves managing over 10 separate projects with a small international and local team. I manage all certification testing and am responsible for creating and maintaining processes for each certification that is required for each project.

In addition to management, I also regularly apply my technical knowledge and skills in Validation testing to lend support to my team and others. I love the balance of technical and managerial responsibilities as it keeps me on my toes and allows me to constantly learn new things.

Working at Harman has taught me a lot in terms of technical skill, teamwork, maintaining a positive atmosphere while remaining efficient and most of all, adapting to an always changing environment.

I get along with all of my co-workers and love them to death, as they make the job even more enjoyable. As Harman has been going through a lot of development and growth in the past 4 years I have worked there, we have all changed with it, and I believe our willingness to do so sets us apart from most other companies!
Pros
Good atmosphere/work culture, opportunities to learn new things, lots of potential growth
Cons
communications/processes are at an early stage, consistent long hours
Harman company are great except Franklin KY facility.
Senior Analysis Repair Technician (Former Employee) –  Franklin, KYAugust 7, 2013
• a typical day at work
Working on production environments is always been busy and pressured.

• what you learned
Working on a small to have to be yes mam, specially on no fault state commonwealth.

• management
Management at Franklin Facility has poor decisions making, they only think about their self and home grown decision, they never been outside Franklin.

• your co-workers
Working on a small town and being none white even if I am American citizen, some of them can’t accept the fact that I am higher rank than them. They brown nose to the supervisor and do everything to put me down, the sad part, supervisor allowed them.

• the hardest part of the job
Working on a small town and being none white even if I am American citizen, management treat me like dirt bags.

• the most enjoyable part of the job
When I found an issue with the product during production, after my analysis I give feed back to the Engineering for future improvement.
Pros
the company are great, benifets as well
Cons
management at franklin facility has poor decisions making.
Indianapolis - Horrible location to be in at Harman
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 20, 2013
Environment:
Threatening, Quality managers walk to your desk and force you to raise your voice to customers and suppliers.

Management:
Poor managers from VPs to Project Managers. 3 hour lunches (politics to show they are in early and stay late) and only working 5 hour days while everyone else is working typical 8 hours.

Managers have moved from technician roles into managing 8-10 people at once. (Needless to say they are not able to handle it and they can not run a project to be successful)

Co-workers:
Incompetent, unwilling to work with you to learn new technology, Indianapolis location employees are waiting for they bonus from the buyout while new employees are doing the work. Employees here are threatened and intimidated with no retaliation.

Do what I say and don't think about it attitude across the team.
Pros
-4:30 work day
Cons
poor management, incompitency, intimidation, previous employees from the buyout have special previliges
Productive Environment, On Campus Gym,and Daily Exercise Program
Material Handler I & II (Former Employee) –  Northridge, Ca 91402January 9, 2012
Harman provided a multitude of opportunities. I worked both as a Lead of the Dock Audit area for two years before completing five years in the Warehouse as Material Handler I & II . I worked both in Shipping and Recieving Departments. Three types of type 3 propane powered Forklifts. The Counterbalanced or sit-down, the cherry-picker, and the stand-up forklifts. I pulled kits, recieved and delivered mail, loaded and unloaded trucks, and cycle counted among other duties.
Pros
lots of company activities, reasonable staff, lots of training, upgades, documentation, cross training, and audits.
Cons
no work available is the reason for being laid-off, was not able to learn enough, did not finish courses
Consulting for Defense and Online Marketing clients
President & Executive Consultant Harman Group LLC (Current Employee) –  Upatoi, GAFebruary 10, 2015
• Provides executive/program management/consultant services where the application of military experience, strong communication/leadership/ organizational skills will result in increased effectiveness in contract services provided to Defense Industry, Government agencies, municipalities and education institutions.
• Provides IT consultant services where the application of experience, strong communication/leadership/organizational skills & cutting edge technology will result in high quality Internet Presence provided to B2B Clients, Not for Profit Clients, as well as Government agencies, municipalities and education institutions.
Needs to be rebuilt
Analysis & Repair support (Current Employee) –  Franklin, KYMay 18, 2013
On a typical workday you will see most employees walking around talking or sleeping on testers. Management values and quality values change from shift to shift. Some managers say that quality is not important, its all about the numbers. They have been working 7 days a week for 4 years and tell employees they are not dedicated enough when they take points so they get days off. Employees are treated as if they are stupid and are made to feel replaceable.
Pros
decent pay, canteen service 5 days a week, clean enviroment, heat and air, music plays daily.
Cons
managment are not trustworthy, employees are unmotivated, values change from day to day, no one cares about quality, moral is non existant.
Great job, long drive
Test technician (Former Employee) –  Washington MOJanuary 12, 2013
I would have rated most areas higher, but the fact that the factory was shutting down brought most of them down as there was no oppertunity to be hired permanent or be promoted.

I maintained the test equipment, which were prone to mechanical issues, software problems, or electrical issues. Nearly 100 different operations to learn in a short period of time. Wish it had been closer to home and not in the process of moving to Mexico. I enjoyed the challenges it presented, and my team mates were great people to work with. They were willing to give a helping hand when needed and you did not want to disappoint such a good team.
Pros
diversity of work
Cons
shutting down
One of the best automotive companies to work at!
Electrical Engineering/Software Verification (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIAugust 18, 2014
- Designed and maintained test scripts to test programs.
- Performed continuous software verification on infotainment systems.
- Performed daily and rigorous testing of infotainment software including Sanity and Smoke.
- Communicate on one-on-one basis with developers and customers.
- Debug and analyze minute and relatively simple issues.
- Uphold and utilized Company vehicles for in-house testing.
- Used high-level programming languages to create simple project specific scripts.
- Used Elvis database to report issues and process tickets
underpaid with many hats
Harman Employee (Former Employee) –  CTJuly 8, 2015
Wish I can have something good to say about a company like Harman. This company needs structure. Everything and everyone is all over the place and you end up doing things you are not supposed to. The best part? another person takes credit and gets a promotion.There is a retail location in NY and that would probably be the worst place to work in . Employees do not get acknowledged. They offer great benefits but do not bother to offer an idea. They are stuck in their old ways.
Pros
Free lunches, bagel Fridays, summer business attire, great benefits.
Cons
Everything else that is not listed above.
Good family enviroment, great team atmosphere wide variety of challenges
Production Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 31, 2012
Never a typical day, always new challenges and issues. Learned basics of electronic board manufacturing and used alls skills learned over a lifetime working on and installing machinery. Almost all managers and production personnel were excellent to work with, knowledgeable in their jobs and aware of all processes and challenges associated with the manufacturing of the infotainment systems.
Pros
great people, laid back team oriented atmosphere
Cons
no health insurance
Demanding
Senior CIPA in SMT department (Current Employee) –  Franklin, KYApril 30, 2012
I'm a go getter and this job has enabled me to do that. We work 7 days a week and I'm able to full-fill all requirements demanded by my job plus some. I not only take care of my department but a encourage and train others in different departments of the plant. Any issues that arise, I'm normally the one called to resolve the issues. I enjoy being a leader but at times the stress can take it's toll, especially when you are around your co-workers more than your own family.
Pros
the one everyone calles to resolve problems
Cons
working 7 days a week.
Productive work environment where a vast amount of knowledge is available
Quality Technician (Current Employee) –  Franklin, KYJanuary 5, 2014
Learning in an ever-changing environment. Opportunity for advancement in the corporation is limited but worth the hard work required. Fun place to meet a variety of people and learn interpersonal skills along with troubleshooting skills for even some of the most common every day technical things we have in our lives.
Pros
income, benefits, on-site health clinic, quarterly incentives
Cons
hours required to work and mandatory overtime
Fun and challenging place to work
Test Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, MONovember 9, 2014
A typical day at Harman I would walk in an make sure that first shift had all the issues fixed from the day and get an update on how their day was. Then, everyday was different there would be different issues and different situations. I would have to troubleshoot the issues and resolve them quickly. The factory was a lean company, so it was critical to resolve issues quickly.
Pros
flex-time meaning that i had to work 8 hours a day and my orgianal shift was covered.
Cons
left the area.
Clean enviornment
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Franklin, KYMay 16, 2014
Currently safe with my position. Just found out yesterday that effective June 30th, that any temporary employee hired 1 yr or
greater will be excused of their current assignment. I'm one of the
lucky ones I was hired Jan 22, 2014 and they already have in place
an extension for us. It's very difficult to get hired through their
company. Lots of testing required for advance.
Pros
pros: good clean place to work
Cons
cons: temporary and hard to get hired through company and alot of repeticious work.
Productive work place
Software Engineer, R&D Infotainment (Current Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILFebruary 15, 2014
I worked at HARMAN International as an full time employee for less than a year.
Pros – Flexible schedules creating a good work/life balance.. Great Location. Good Learning environment. Most Harman colleagues were friendly and very helpful. Open minded work environment allowing employees to wear comfortable work attire and desired hair style, facial hairstyle
Pros
flat organizational structure
Cons
management needs more direction
Strong portfolio - company experiencing immense growth
Warranty Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MISeptember 17, 2013
401K match, education reimbursement, health, dental, vision and supplemented beverages. Potential for internal advancement.

Expect employer to expect well over 40 hours a week in challenging work environment where "lean and mean" is business essential.
Pros
401k match, education reimbursement, health, dental, vision and supplemented beverages
Cons
expect employer to expect well over 40 hours a week
Great job with many benefits
Visual Quality Inspection (VQA) (Former Employee) –  Washington, MODecember 18, 2014
Harman was a great place to work. There was a gym open to all full-time employees and a staffed cafeteria. I learned VQA and had positions as people person and production person, which meant I placed people in their assigned positions and kept track of production and what was coming up next for final assembly and organized the production accordingly.
Pros
great team spirit
Cons
the company moved out of state
Very productive and busy environment
BENEFITS ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Northridge, CAJuly 30, 2012
Harman is a great company to work for. My days are very busy between emails and on going projects and standard weekly conference calls with our broker and vendors. Harman manufactures audio and infotainment systems (Harman Kardon, JBL, Infinity, AKG, Lexicon). They have great products and I'm very proud to tell other I work for Harman.
Pros
discount on products
Cons
too many conference calls
Pay was good but work was 7 days a week and was through a temp service.
Maintenance and Testing Technician (Former Employee) –  Franklin, KYJuly 21, 2012
The job was not wat was advertised in the beginning. The training was all on the job training picking up from others. The work schedule was 7 days a week without time off for several weeks at a time. No promise of being hired on full time from the temp service I was through.
Pros
paycheck
Cons
lack of time off. no benefits being through temp service.