Harmons Grocery Employee Reviews

Overall a good company
Pizza Chef (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 9, 2018
The company as a whole is good; they are very involved with the local community, as they frequently do fundraisers and donations. They are eco-friendly and aren't afraid to spend a little more to deliver fresh, eco-friendly products to their customers. However, the corporate level of the company is severely out of touch with the "working class" level. Towards the end, it was evident that the company was starting to only focus on money and how they could earn more, which is understandable for a business. They did not, however, focus any additional energy on making sure the employees were appreciated and their opinions and complaints were heard.
Pros
Flexibility with scheduling, working with people I enjoyed being around, good hands-on experience
Cons
Lack of representation, opinions and complaints weren't heard, trying to produce more product while cutting hours and number of people working on any given day.
Worst job I've ever had.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Saint George, UTDecember 30, 2017
The environment was so dull and depressing, nobody would even talk to each other. My manager couldn't even bother to remember my name... And I had a name tag! It just felt like a lack of respect, including the fact he was extremely passive aggressive about everything towards me. Lots of favoritism and outcasting behavior to others in this workplace. The only thing I could count on was the reliable hours.
Pros
Hours were good
Cons
Managment, work enviornment, disrespectful, no communication, co workers, ect...
Fun co-workers, bad manager
Delicatessen Associate (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 13, 2017
I loved working at Harmons because it was fast paced. Always something to do, and interacting with customer. However I had a manager who was literally just so unprofessional, hard to deal with, very opinionated, and even told me that she hated me.
Condescending management
Baker (Former Employee) –  Saint George, UTDecember 3, 2017
I truly wanted to like the job.

It became clear immediately as a new hire that a training program was non-existent. While I adapted to the work and the job fairly well, the managers of the department were quick to make condescending remarks about my work without putting in any effort to helping me learn.

The pay rate was fair, but you should know that breaks are discouraged, at least they were for me at the St George location. One 10-minute break during a 9-hour workday is just not right. Beware.

There were many red flags throughout the hire to start date which took about 3 weeks. The first of which was that everyone in the group interview was hired into various departments.

Again, I truly wanted to like the job. I was looking forward to something fresh and new but I had entered a department that was stale and cold.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Long Hours, Breaks discouraged
management with big mouths and no ears
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  West Valley City, UTNovember 15, 2017
The entire time working at harmons I have always noticed that they do not take advice from their employees. For example, just the other day a problem presented itself and a very simple and fast solution was found by myself and my co-workers. When we told this plan to our manager, she ended up ignoring us completely and doing something else. This is one of my biggest complaints about the management.
Good place bad pay
Artisan Seller/Bakery Closer (Current Employee) –  Farmington, UTNovember 4, 2017
Ive been working for hamons for more then a year now and its overall a pretty good place, i feel like I'm a good worker and deserve a higher pay, but when i as for a raise, they just shrug it off and forget about it. only reason why i want to leave this place to be honest
Started ok didn't end well.
Cashier/ Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  South Jordan, UTOctober 20, 2017
Started ok. To move around or up you have to be part of the 'Boys Club' or know one of the Harmons personally. They have their own training classes. None of the Utah certifications are good enough for them.
Great place to learn all apsects of bakery production
Baker/Cake Decorator/Counter (Former Employee) –  Midvale, UTOctober 14, 2017
Harmon's was an excellent place to learn many the skills needed to work in a bakery. If you were willing to learn something and adapt, they were willing to teach you. Excellent customer service is required, making it a great place to learn the skill.
Pros
friendly people, good advancement oppoutunities
Cons
Very fast paced, could be stressful
It's a fun place to work
Deli Associate / Salad Bar / To-go Food Production (Current Employee) –  South Jordan, UTSeptember 28, 2017
I have enjoyed my six years at Harmons, management is kind and fair. They are willing to work with issues. Would rather help an associate resolve an issue than fire them.
Top Tier High School/ College Job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTAugust 25, 2017
Harmons, especially the deli would be the best fit for high school or college students who want more than the average burger joint. They are more flexible schedule wise in allowing part time than other job I've had. They are big on providing resources to employees such as free proffesional counseling , activity trackers and rewards for meeting health challenges. The choices for Healthcare and HSA are very nice. The issues I faced both times that I worked there stemmed from management and their inability to address workplace concerns.
An always busy place to work with poor management
Bagger/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Saint George, UTAugust 15, 2017
A typical day at work would be bagging people's groceries, stocking shelves, or retrieving carts. I learned how to face items on shelves and why certain items are placed where. The management was horrible and would often ask you to do personal favors not relating to work (Filling their water bottles, getting them their cigarettes from their car, etc.) Most employees were very kind and were good listeners and talkers. The hardest part of the job was standing in the heat and pushing heavy carts around with no cable holding them together and breaks were often skipped if they were too busy or they didn't remember you had a break. The most enjoyable part was helping people find things throughout the store and assisting elderly customers into their car and loading their groceries.
Pros
Free Powerade if employees were working outside
Cons
Breaks were never a given and they would take breaks away if they felt like it, managers expected you to do their job, managers lacked respect for other people's lives
Great Experience
Delicatessen Manager (Former Employee) –  Taylorsville, UTAugust 3, 2017
The company itself is a great company it was a great place to gain some extra experience. I enjoyed the opportunity to work in a new section of the food industry.
Pretty nice place to work
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Midvale, UTAugust 2, 2017
The managers are pretty awesome and understanding. A good place if you like to think to yourself while keeping your hands busy, as long as you work with maintenance.
Most stores are decent to work for
Dairy Manager (Current Employee) –  West Jordan, UTJune 26, 2017
Most stores are decent to work for. Decent opportunity for advancement. 2-4 stores have horrible management and block you from transferring therefor it is a really hostile environment.
great and fun company
Front End Associate (Former Employee) –  South Jordan, UTJune 9, 2017
I loved working at harmons loved the people i worked with holidays were crazy really flexible with school schedules. Lagoon day was a blast spending the day with co workers and family.
Pros
Lagoon day, flexiable shifts
Cons
hard to move up in comapny
Great company culture and lots of opportunity for advancement
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJune 5, 2017
Harmons is a great company to get started with early on in your career. They offer several opportunities to learn from different departments as well as advance in your career. I joined with several years of experience, they were quick to utilize my strengths while also giving me new industry experience.
Pros
Discount, people, location
Cons
Healthcare offering and cost
A grocery store based in Utah
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  South Jordan, UTMay 15, 2017
Harmon's was a fun place to work. I enjoyed each day I worked there. The management there is great. You'll make a lot of new friends. The hardest part of the job was the paycheck. You get paid every two weeks, and if you're part-time, your check is going to be little. But there are chances to change that if you are willing to work in multiple departments. Widen your horizon and learn new skills. It will actually make you look good.
Pros
Management is great
Cons
Hourly wages are a little weak for part-timers
Good company
Baker and Pastry Chef (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 28, 2017
Great company with good people. Has a very family like feel and offers a lot to employees. High paced production expected in food areas. Customers are usually easy to deal with and you get to know the regulars.
Decent pay. Fairly flexible schedule. Management has something to be desired.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Kearns, UTApril 19, 2017
Used to be fun but now they run such a skeleton crew that it's very high stress and you'll always be running. Decent pay for what it is but it takes years to top out as raises are few and small. I've definitely had more bad managers than good, they seem to promote those who 'know' someone over those with experience. I wouldn't recommend harmons unless you really need a paycheck. It's really gone downhill the last few years.
Pros
Good pay for retail. Flexible schedule
Cons
High stress, poor management, drama and favoritism.
Pay isn't bad I guess
Lead Salad Bar Chef/ Production Chef (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTFebruary 15, 2017
Cant say for anyone else but my experience involved a lot of work. I often didn't get my breaks and sometimes not even my lunches. I really only stayed because of my manager but she was rare and I honestly doubt i would have stayed if it wasn't for her.