Harmons Grocery Employee Reviews

Poor pay but decent environment
Business Center Banker (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTJanuary 13, 2017
At least in the Business Center you get paid not much for what you do, it's hard work and they expect you to do a lot for almost no pay. Bad management as well, for half of the time I was in the Business Center there was no manager which made the job way more stressful that it should be. They barely train you and provide next to no feedback.
If you're going to work there just be a cashier or a bagger, it's probably some of the best way you're going to get for those positions and at least in the department (Front End) the managers are well trained and know what they're doing.
Management Lacks
Checker/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, UTApril 28, 2016
Management lacks caring for the employees. Though benefits, pay are at (or just above) averages, the lack of management support, training, and caring for the employees makes many leave. Yes, high turn-over rates.

Promotions/advancement definitely based upon who is the favorite (looks, party buddy, or etc.) vice the most qualified. Many positions have people who are not qualified, mess up almost daily (like scanning, store director, store manager, produce manager, lead CSM)
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
management
I liked the job, the management is what needed work
Salad bar (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTAugust 17, 2016
I worked here for a little short of a month, I worked in the Delivery and it was cool the job its self however management wasn't the best. I originally wanted days, and for the first week I was trained on days, then thrown on night the next week, and had about 2 days of training before expected to close by myself, I got yelled at numerous times because I had to train someone while I hadn't been trained completely either. When mentioned to my boss she responded "I don't have the man power to shadow you all day" anyways, like I said the job was fun but it was run and organized very very poorly.
Great environment to work in
Checker/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lehi, UTDecember 20, 2016
Harmon's Grocery is a great place to be employed. I enjoy the environment and the people that I work with. Management is understanding, caring, and personable. Harmon's offers great service to not only their customers, but to its associates as well.
Pros
10% off everything
Cons
Short lunch breaks
My first real job, showed me how its done
Cashier./deli asst. manager (Former Employee) –  Virden, ILOctober 24, 2016
I learned at Harmons how to hold a job as an adult. I started here right out of high school and had bills to pay for the first time. The environment here was very enjoyable. Co workers were friendly, everyone seemed close, maybe it was the small town atmosphere. The hardest part of the job was not very hard. Making sure everyone was doing what they were supposed to be doing. Most of the time they were. The most enjoyable part of this job was knowing all the employees and customers. It was comfortable and homey.
Pros
Fast paced work. Lots to do, time went fast
Cons
occasionally we would make items from the store shelve ingredients, if we were out of stock it was a bummer
Good goals, but underachieved
Scanning Manager (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTDecember 9, 2016
Harmon's has a solid foundation, and they treat their employees better than a lot of companies, although just because they are not as bad as some are, that doesn't mean they are even close to as well. They lack integrity, and value in their loyal employees. They choose to lose someone because they are afraid of a complication, rather than doing the right thing. Without integrity and without the desire to do the right thing, they are a discrimination to society.
Professional and very customer service orientated
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Draper, UTNovember 28, 2016
Great place to work, nice clean environment with friendly people. Most managers nice and accomodating to specific needs. Large selection of grocery and great food in the deli and salad bar.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
High prices
mixed feelings
deli food sales (Former Employee) –  bangeter crossing draperNovember 14, 2015
Store directors are biased ..do not remeber issues. Loved my job greatly increased sales by far...had alot of responsibility covering shifts workig long hours by myself closing etc then hours cut cuz i had too many. People who barely sleak english a d lack communication skills got full time before me...but i was good to close alone like 6 shifts in a row. The worst is I was BULLIED the job in front of custo.ers and customers went to management to k ow avail...over and over Bullied hit with carts, put down infront of people and Yelled at publicly for nothing. Didnt get breaks or lunch many days , and goes on and on. I loved my job my co workrs but a couple and was a tea. Player. No they play favoritism big time. Went to management over te bullyi ng a d talk talk talk ....did not believe me i spite of witnesses. I Was Remarkable At My Job! Increased sales beyond expectations alone usually, and worked very hard
Pros
great products, customers, atmosphere, fellow workers mostly a d my manager was fair when she was there...we won her a nice trip too
Cons
bullied, not enough breaks, lunches, support, bullied
Meeting new people has become your friends!
Checker (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UT 84404January 29, 2012
As a bagger, I was called to long lines of groceries because I was a very fast bagger and was done packing their groceries just in time for the customer ready to leave.

As a checker, I worked at a checkstand express that received 15 items or less only, since I couldn't keep good count of large balances on a regular checkstand but was able to on the express checkstand.
Pros
work overtime, good management, raises, nice customers and employers.
Cons
too many keypad buttons, have price check on items, mad customers.
Each department is different...
Support Office (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTApril 28, 2016
I enjoyed meeting the Harmon's team, but it is very divisive depending on what department you work and who is your director. If I had worked in a different department, I would have loved my position, however, a poorly ran department, rogue employees, entitled associates and more were enough reasons to be jaded.
Pros
Fairly open schedule
Cons
Department head, favortism, entitlement
It's alright.
Delicatessen Chef & Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 7, 2016
I stayed there for 5 years so it wasnt that bad... honestlyy it all depends on who the managers are, working for Harmons is 100% Politics. so you better get on their good side.
Overall the company is productive.
Customer Service Manager (CSM) Front End. (Current Employee) –  South Jordan, UTSeptember 13, 2015
I have worked within this company for 15 years, moving from one location to another. The upper management of these other sites are overall good to work with, but there are others that work only for themselves.
I feel that the upper management could be do for an investigation. Some don't care about the employees that are under them, and can be somewhat authoritative, and abusive in their handling of some circumstances.
I myself have been in that situation, and if I were to say anything, I would lose my job.
Pros
busy place, clean, some friendly co-workers.
Cons
verbal abuse (upper mgmt), favoritism
Turn around now!
customer service (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTDecember 12, 2015
Worked for the company for a number of years! I would not recommend for any one !! Terrible company! The management act like they care and they don't care about anyone but themselves they just want to get ahead and they don't care who they need to step on to get there!

I met a lot of great associates that I treasure but that is the only thing I took with me!
Pros
people
Cons
corporate, management, want to work you to the bone
Valued Employee
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  South Jordan, UTNovember 4, 2012
I held many positions with Harmons and enjoyed each one. They promote with in and want you to be viced in many different area's. The pay was competitive for each deparmtment. The culture of employees and also customers far surpassed all of my expectations. The managers were fair and had on going training. Hardest part is you are always on your feet, and the schedule varied so you had to always be available.
Pros
culture, benefits
Cons
schedul
Experience booster
Deli Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 29, 2016
This being my first job right out of high school taught me so much about working and how to assist others. I learned a lot about my strengths and weaknesses here.
SOme people are NOT good to work with
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 17, 2015
Some People are Great others are Not Great, They DON't Take care Of their people. They say they do but they Don't. Not a good place to work,
Pros
the 2 Managers I had
Cons
too many Politics
Great Place
Delicatessen (Former Employee) –  Saint George, UTDecember 27, 2015
A great place to work if looking for a part time job during your college tenure. Staff are always happy and a clean work place with wonderful customers never makes a dull day.
Pros
Employee discount card
Cons
Does not work well with you if sent to the hospital.
Usdc
Lead Foodie (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTMarch 8, 2015
The job was good very challenging emotionally and physically.
Very routine oriented, home like environment. It was really sad to bond with the individuals and then see their health decline fast.
Co-workers were great and always helpful.
Pros
awesome benefits
Cons
Physically and psycologically demanding
bakery was awful an unorganized
baker (Former Employee) –  salt lake city utMarch 7, 2014
I was new there and never had a set schedule, always guessing when to come in. First two weeks being there and was watching and taking care of all three stations for bakery without training. Management was horrible and was on their high horse all the time! And no employee discounts. Worse place to work at.
Nice place to work for
Customer Service Manager/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Farmington, UTApril 13, 2015
I have enjoyed working for Harmons, they love to help people move up within the company and you get to learn a lot of new departments to help you.
Pros
Great pay for sundays and holidays
Cons
Hard to get full time, benefits not great.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harmons Grocery. Our community is ready to answer.