Harold Washington College

Harold Washington College Employer Reviews

Good working environment, hiring process is not fair
ADJUNCT FACULTY (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 25, 2014
Pros: good working environment.
Cons: administration is not fare.
I like Harold Washington College. I like my supervisors. But the administration of City Colleges of Chicago is not fare always.
Its all about helping people.
Note Taker (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 24, 2014
Pros: helping people.
Cons: class after class after class.
It was mainly work study so it was my own class one hour and the person you was taking notes for the NEXT hour.
productive
Clerical Support (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 10, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: seasonal
I loved working at Harold Washington college I learned a lot and gained experienced. Staff was great supervisor was great as well it was just a seasonal job.
HWC Experience
Human Resources/ Food Service Safety & Sanitation (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2014
Pros: interacting with business professionals, enjoying perks of social gatherings.
Cons: i would have liked to maintain a full time job with benefits, my student schedule did not permit.
I thoroughly enjoyed working at Harold Washington College, most specifically because I got a chance to experience my college life from the stand point of a student and an employee. I had a good time interacting with the friendly staff on each level of the college as I had a range of duties to perform which entailed dealing with everyone from the students, – more... to employees and prospective employees at the college. – less
Not your typical boring office job
Work Study/Financial Aid Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 21, 2014
While we did carry out the same duties day to day. There was always something new, changes to made to our routine, and or a heavier/lighter load. We never had a boring day! Management was strict but very nice and co-workers were exceptional. The hardest part of the job is the processing of loans and Financial Aid refund time. I enjoyed the many days – more... where everybody worked together which was almost everyday. – less
Great Boss, good school environment
Adjunct lecturer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 1, 2014
Great place. I liked my boss. However the issue is one of adjunct work. I loved teaching there, but a full time opportunity came up elsewhere.
A fun and educational place to be
Academic Tutor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 7, 2013
A typical day at Harold Washington College is a very exciting, fun, and educational environment where students from all background come to get help on their weaknesses. During my time at Harold Washington College i learned that in order to master in of your subjects of concentrations, you have to teach them. And through this experience i have gained – more... confidence and control over my education. Also, the management of your time is the key to somehow mutual respect- when you an appointment with a student you have to tutor, and you do not show up on time, that is disrespectful. The hardest part of the Job was to deal with all students with different moods. As a tutor, i had to beg the student to sty focus during the tutoring time. The most enjoyable part of the job, is looking at your student coming toward you with a big smile on his face and telling you he got an A in his final exam. – less
work study
Government grants and Student (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 7, 2013
working with student, team work, enjoying work and study as the same time
Ok place to work
College Bursar (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 16, 2013
A typical day at HWC was busy. The hardest part of the job was dealing with all the different personalities of both the employees and the students.
Great place to gain experience
Receptionist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 28, 2013
An ordinary day is filled with multicultural individuals looking to learn. The school is located right in the middle of downtown Chicago so fast pace is a must. Everyday theirs something new to learn at this school and you never know what might happen next. I learned to keep and positive mind set and be prepared at all times.
My second home
President of Phi Theta Kappa Mu Pi Chapter (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 22, 2013
Leading and serving fellow students could be very challenging but fun. Sometimes, it could be critical and time consuming but worth doing. This job opened me up to many opportunities and scholarships to fund my undergrad program.
Student
Student (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 29, 2013
I took a class or two to gain some life experiences while unemployed . I earned a certificate for beginning typing.
it's more fun, i get to meet new friends.
Computer Lab Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 11, 2013
Pros: more free time to study and chat
Cons: dealing with rude people.
My currently job is interesting, because i get to help student, meeting new people and socializing with different people
Positive learning environment for enrolled adult students.
Business Instructor, Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 1, 2013
Pros: helping students in their career, contribute to the quality of education, staying abreast of current trends across business functions.
Cons: part-time, inconsistent scheduling from semester to semester, number of hours change, no benefits or seniority.
In a few hours of class room instruction, I impact the lives of students and their families by empowering them with business knowledge and skills needed to further their career. This is most rewarding.

The toughest part is there is always at least one student who is mistakenly enrolled in the class and is not prepared to handle the topic. I suggest – more... alternatives like getting a tutor or help from other support available. In most cases, the student decides early to drop the class. – less
Internship
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 10, 2012
I was an intern at Harold Washington College during my undergraduate years. Found it to be productive environment and friendly people.
nice work place
French Tutor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 2, 2012
Pros: 30 minutes break
When i go to work, i have a smile on my face, the people at work are really friendly, and pleasant to be around. I learned how motivated you have to be when on duty. The management was really nice, they are truly amiable. My co-workers were good people also. The hardest part of the job is when i had to repeat the sentence so many times so my student – more... can pronounce it properly. And he finally pronounces it well. The most enjoyable part of the job was when i had to enunciate a sentence in French and my student kept on laughing. He always says he has never seen someone speak French like me. He wishes he speaks French like me. For him saying that, meant he was interested into the work my was doing. He was happy having me as his tutor. – less
Harold Washingtons Computer Lab team
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 5, 2012
Pros: the hours, the diffrent type of people
Cons: no cons
1.A day at work would typically be just a whole lot of helping people to computers, if they have any general questions we would answer them. Also we would show them have to print and also clean the computer lab room daily was a must.
2. i learned everything about the whole microsoft office,and other software that the school wanted me to know about printers – more... and software setup for class room learning.
3. i had a great manager he was strict but it was good because i have learned so much behind it. He also run the establishment very well.
4. My co-workers were intresting because we all come from diffrent backgrounds and for some of them from a diffrent ethnic, but it was very cool and i liked the experience. We were all very focused on our work and always got our jobs done before we did anything else. They were all into their studies and took work very serious.
4.The hardest part was setting up software in every single classrom throughout the school everyday new software came avaliable at the school.
5. the enjoyable part about working at haroldwashington was meeting new people every single day and helping people with what ever they needed. – less
Great boss.
Adjunct lecturer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 25, 2012
Pros: great boss
Cons: not enough classes, seniority applies
I like the school. I just wish I had more classes to teach. I teach a variety of students and their responses seem to be good overall. Some are not ready for college level material or work load but they try.
great place to work
Notetaker (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 28, 2012
Great place to meet and help people. I enjoyed my years there.
Great opportunity to help people
Music Lecturer (Current Employee), Chicago, IlJune 7, 2012
Pros: centrally located
Cons: low pay
HWC gives students, often with life and academic complications, a chance to develop their skills in order to compete in the modern world. It is composed of a great staff of dedicated faculty.