Harold Washington College Employee Reviews

Flexible
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 6, 2017
Very good part-time position and did start my career from in Architectural field. Gained lots of computer knowledge from teaching other students. Good professor.
Pros
Good Management
Cons
No benefit
affordable community college in heart of downtown
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 3, 2017
I worked their just one semester as a part time lecturer. The school has dedicated teachers. The school I believe is subsidized the city of Chicago so they can keep the tuition low and make it more accessible. Has a lot of great students.
Student Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 20, 2017
I was a student-worker and I got paid for being the Veteran's Affairs liaison. I was able to answer general questions that veterans might have had about their payment status, about their certification and the allotted classes and credit hours that were covered by any specific Veteran related assistance (IVG, GI Bill).
Great working environment
Information Front Desk Greeter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 15, 2017
On a daily basis, I sat behind the information desk on the 11th floor where most of the offices are located. I mostly gave directions to students, visitors, and faculty who came round and needed help finding someone or a place at the college. I learned to be more outgoing and I also improved my interpersonal skills. Working there also helped me get to know more about the college and I also had the chance to network with faculty and staff around the floor.
Overall, it is a great place to work and the environment is usually quiet so you can study or work on your homework when there isn't much to do.
This was a course in composition for freshman
Adjunct Instructor - English Composition (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 8, 2017
I taught composition, prepared lesson plans, and graded papers and did all administrative duties assigned by the department chair. This was a part time job as an adjunct instructor.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Harold Washington College
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60601August 22, 2017
All the teachers I had were amazing! None of the teachers I had sucked. They really do care to be good teachers there, even security is awesome. First school I have ever been too that knew what they were doing. I would have to say that everyone is hands on.
Pros
Great teachers
Cons
They dont have the best options for food, but could be due to all the food places around the college.
Productive work environment
LECTURER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 6, 2017
I worked as an adjunct lecturer off campus, so I do not have valid experience to credibly evaluate the academic structure as a whole. The workplace structure I was involved in was positive. Among the positive aspects of the job were my interactions with probationary employees, and having access to training staff on a daily basis.
Pros
Able to set schedule
Produtive
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 1, 2017
It was fun working in the mailroom. You learn all types of things that go on in there it's a challenge wish i can work there ahain or any mailroom its fun
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Breaks
Amazing place to work
Library Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 13, 2017
Harold Washington College is an amazing institution that is focused on student growth and works extremely hard to provide a quality education at a low price. The one issue with the institution is the way information is disseminated among departments. Communication is key to maintaining a viable workplace, and there are many communication breakdowns that lead to student frustration. while that aspect has gotten better in recent years, mandates from a very disconnected district office often lead to greater student and staff confusion which hurts student outcomes. The looming issue with the state's budgetary issues also has created distinct change for many of the schools programs and vital support mechanisms, but the school maintains a fantastic presence and ability to help students.
Pros
amazing direct management and HR staff
Cons
disconnected managing body in the form of district office
It's Doable
English and Writing Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 7, 2017
I loved my superiors. It's a relaxed workplace that I would enjoy working at if they paid the adjuncts sufficiently. We need a union contract now! That's all.
Fun Work Enviroment
President's Summer Internship (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 23, 2017
This was a summer internship and the staff was very nice in making me feel like part of the team. I worked closely with both the president and vice president, as well as their staff. I learned so much about what goes on behind the scenes of running a successful college. In addition, I grew out of my shell and grew as a person.
Pros
Staff is amazing to work with
Stessfull
College Clerical Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 11, 2017
A typical work day can be stressful and undermining. There is no fairness to the employees and students. The valuable entities with working with CCC is experiencing walking students through processes and see them complete successfully. Their is no equality within the company.
Accomplished goals
Associate In Applied Sciences (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 9, 2017
It's a college. What can I say? I attended for 2 years and graduated. Small classes, great teachers and a good curriculum. Not much you can do with a two year degree though.
productive and fun work place
College Clerical Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 30, 2017
free lunch after meetings 1 hour lunch vacation time, you can get an education while you work.easy commute. beautiful downtown Chicago view and scenery
Pros
free leftover lunch
Life as a Student Worker
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 2, 2017
With this being my first office job I was finally able to put my skills to the test when it came to clerical work I made sure that before I left the office that everything was done in an orderly fashion as well as left notes for my co-workers if we had different shifts and didn't work together or see each other until Friday. Hardest part of the job was when the scanner was malfunctioning and I couldn't get one of my tasks done until it was fixed. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting along with my supervisor thus having a positive energy around the work space. Because I was in school I was able to work around my class schedule which allowed me to not only work but make sure I had time when I got home to study and do homework for my classes.
Pros
peaceful, quiet working space
Cons
N/a
Tutoring
Administrator's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 22, 2016
This is a job at the learning center of HWC.

• Responsible for the tutoring center, monitoring the tutors, registering students, holding meetings with tutors, and writing daily reports for administrator

Fun
ELL Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 20, 2016
Help students to use Microsoft words, Excel and PowerPoint.
Design Lab reserved and serve to teacher.
Solve some problems from computer to students.
Great Place to Work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 4, 2016
I enjoyed working at this company.Working at this company taught me how to handle problem's better. I got to interact with different of people everyday on the job.
Pros
Meeting Different People, and Learning new skiils
Good work environment
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 2, 2016
The job is very good for student tutors working and studying at the same time. The work environment, management, and co-workers are very good and helpful.
front desk assistant
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 24, 2016
i love working at school because i was meeting new learning new things everyday learn how to do paperwork. and filed and work in different area in the build and i was learn how to work in different office as will.
Pros
learn new things
Cons
meet new people