Harold Washington College Employee Reviews in United States

Fun place to work
Project Secretary (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 19, 2015
Made friends with my co-workers. Love the area where I work. Got along with everyone there. The most enjoyable part of the job was coming to work every day and working with my co workers and boss.
Pros
lunch break. Healthcare benefits
Cons
Employee Union
Productive and great work environment
English Department Secretary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 13, 2016
When I have to start my day at Harold Washington College it is something that I look forward to. I come in and greet all my fellow coworkers. The rest of the day is running small errands here and there and enjoying the great diversity of students and coworkers.
It was a well run organization and I would recommend it.
Youth Developer (Former Employee) –  chicagoJune 19, 2015
The work environment was very relaxed and nice.

I really enjoyed working with the youth.

The hardest part of the was balancing work life with real life.
Pros
good work environment
fun work place
Work-study student (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 19, 2015
Get to learn new computer skills or improve your computer skills. Keeps you focus in school and allow you to work on your homework
Positive learning environment for enrolled adult students.
Business Instructor, Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 1, 2013
In a few hours of class room instruction, I impact the lives of students and their families by empowering them with business knowledge and skills needed to further their career. This is most rewarding.

The toughest part is there is always at least one student who is mistakenly enrolled in the class and is not prepared to handle the topic. I suggest alternatives like getting a tutor or help from other support available. In most cases, the student decides early to drop the class.
Pros
helping students in their career, contribute to the quality of education, staying abreast of current trends across business functions.
Cons
part-time, inconsistent scheduling from semester to semester, number of hours change, no benefits or seniority.
Review of a day's work
Instructor in Biology (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 15, 2015
A typical day involves teaching biology and tutoring students. Learned new way of teaching. Mange different classes efficientlyat one semester. Coworkers are happy with me with an amiable dispositin. The hardest part is to make understand biology to non science students. The most enjoyable part is analysing the positive test results from the studfents.
Pros
Free break times.
Cons
Health concerns
Productive work
Clerical Support (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 13, 2015
Very fulfilling environment...staff are excellent. Perfect mix of professionalism and fun. Various opportunities to grow.
Taking care with students and communicate with students and tutors
Front Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 19, 2015
Take care of students,
Learn how to communicate with students,
Manage documents and files,
Learn how to organize things,
Making appointments for students,
Taking care of phone call,
and learn how to deal with problem between student and tutor when they having hard time.(Sometime work with co-worker together)
enjoy having communication to students.
Tutor
Digital Multimedia Design Tutor/Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 14, 2015
Instruct students in all the aspects of digital art, graphic design, website design, video and animation
Oversee creative process in students while guiding and improving their technical skills
Assist students in completing professional prints
Support professor lesson plans covering graphic design, art, multimedia, animation and video
nice work place
French Tutor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 2, 2012
When i go to work, i have a smile on my face, the people at work are really friendly, and pleasant to be around. I learned how motivated you have to be when on duty. The management was really nice, they are truly amiable. My co-workers were good people also. The hardest part of the job is when i had to repeat the sentence so many times so my student can pronounce it properly. And he finally pronounces it well. The most enjoyable part of the job was when i had to enunciate a sentence in French and my student kept on laughing. He always says he has never seen someone speak French like me. He wishes he speaks French like me. For him saying that, meant he was interested into the work my was doing. He was happy having me as his tutor.
Pros
30 minutes break
HWC Experience
Human Resources/ Food Service Safety & Sanitation (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed working at Harold Washington College, most specifically because I got a chance to experience my college life from the stand point of a student and an employee. I had a good time interacting with the friendly staff on each level of the college as I had a range of duties to perform which entailed dealing with everyone from the students, to employees and prospective employees at the college.
Pros
interacting with business professionals, enjoying perks of social gatherings.
Cons
i would have liked to maintain a full time job with benefits, my student schedule did not permit.
Excellent professors and learning environmenr. Very student friendly and concerned
Student (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2015
I think Harold Washington is one of the top community colleges in Chicago! I referred students there as a high school counselor and was pleased as a student in their Addictions Counselor Program.
Pros
excellent staff, good on sight learning experiences, great student support services
Cons
Not your typical boring office job
Work Study/Financial Aid Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 21, 2014
While we did carry out the same duties day to day. There was always something new, changes to made to our routine, and or a heavier/lighter load. We never had a boring day! Management was strict but very nice and co-workers were exceptional. The hardest part of the job is the processing of loans and Financial Aid refund time. I enjoyed the many days where everybody worked together which was almost everyday.
Harold Washingtons Computer Lab team
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 5, 2012
1.A day at work would typically be just a whole lot of helping people to computers, if they have any general questions we would answer them. Also we would show them have to print and also clean the computer lab room daily was a must.
2. i learned everything about the whole microsoft office,and other software that the school wanted me to know about printers and software setup for class room learning.
3. i had a great manager he was strict but it was good because i have learned so much behind it. He also run the establishment very well.
4. My co-workers were intresting because we all come from diffrent backgrounds and for some of them from a diffrent ethnic, but it was very cool and i liked the experience. We were all very focused on our work and always got our jobs done before we did anything else. They were all into their studies and took work very serious.
4.The hardest part was setting up software in every single classrom throughout the school everyday new software came avaliable at the school.
5. the enjoyable part about working at haroldwashington was meeting new people every single day and helping people with what ever they needed.
Pros
the hours, the diffrent type of people
Cons
no cons
great experience
Financial Aide Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 13, 2014
working here built me skills and the expertise to deal with the people of the world and I loved it.
Great place to gain experience
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 28, 2013
An ordinary day is filled with multicultural individuals looking to learn. The school is located right in the middle of downtown Chicago so fast pace is a must. Everyday theirs something new to learn at this school and you never know what might happen next. I learned to keep and positive mind set and be prepared at all times.
Good working environment, hiring process is not fair
ADJUNCT FACULTY (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 25, 2014
I like Harold Washington College. I like my supervisors. But the administration of City Colleges of Chicago is not fare always.
Pros
good working environment.
Cons
administration is not fare.
productive
Clerical Support (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 10, 2014
I loved working at Harold Washington college I learned a lot and gained experienced. Staff was great supervisor was great as well it was just a seasonal job.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
seasonal
Its all about helping people.
Note Taker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 24, 2014
It was mainly work study so it was my own class one hour and the person you was taking notes for the NEXT hour.
Pros
helping people.
Cons
class after class after class.
My second home
President of Phi Theta Kappa Mu Pi Chapter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 22, 2013
Leading and serving fellow students could be very challenging but fun. Sometimes, it could be critical and time consuming but worth doing. This job opened me up to many opportunities and scholarships to fund my undergrad program.