Harper College Employee Reviews in United States

Faculty/Students Really Getting Squeezed
Social Science Instructor (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILJuly 13, 2016
I have been an adjunct here for years. When I started I had a Dean that did not cancel many classes and thus allowed both me and students stability. We knew that in a week classes would begin. I could prep. More recently that Dean was promoted and replaced by someone who seems to love cutting classes if they don't meet her number of 15 students (note-this is not a regulation written anywhere).
This has made life a lot less liveable. A lot of adjuncts teach several classes, even at multiple schools. To save that time period and prep for a class and then not have it run at the last second is awful. I can imagine it isn't easy for the students either!
Sadly, the budget crisis in Springfield has only made this worse. The college laid off nearly 20 employess and about 40 full-time position up for hire were eliminated. In short, its not worth adjuncting in hopes of replacing a full-timer. They are simply eliminating those positions when they retire.
Pros
Pay is decent by adjunct standards, Good classroom Technology
Cons
Classes are cancelled at the last week, No room for Advancement
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILApril 27, 2016
It has been a growing experience. With State funding being low, it creates uneasiness. Other than that the overall culture is pleasant.
Pros
Wonderful benefits, programs and students.
Cons
With State funding being low, it creates uneasiness.
Good, safe work environment
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILJanuary 26, 2016
William Rainey Harper College has a safe, well-maintained, and clean campus. The faculty and staff there are extremely nice and professional, and the adjunct faculty positions there offer the opportunity for growth in the field of Education.
Pros
Good, safe, and clean work environment.
Cons
Have to cater to conflicting student requests and opinions.
Good work environment
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILJanuary 26, 2016
Harper College provides a very good work environment. The campus is very safe, and the faculty, and staff there are very professional, and punctual. I had isolated incidents when I encountered people in the common areas who appeared to be neither faculty/staff nor students, nor in any way affiliated with the college who were wearing inappropriate and unprofessional attire.
Pros
Friendly and safe environment.
Cons
You are dealing with many students who have conflicting demands and requests.
Love helping students
Financial Aid Systems Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Palatine ILOctober 13, 2015
Good teamplayer, meet deadlines and I am very advance knowledge in Excel and Microsoft. I was in charge of Federal Work Study program helping students get hired and monitor their funding's.
Healthcare Nursing Program
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILJuly 2, 2015
Co-workers are wonderful. The lead instructors are fantastic.
One draw back adjunct are not invited to attend the FT faculty meetings or asked to set on committees. It is strongly believe adjunct feedback could have a positive impact on clinical decisions.
Pros
Flexiable
Cons
Communication
Pleasure working with students
Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILMay 27, 2015
I love the interaction working with students and their parents in order to assist students with first steps into entering college.

I would help students with applying for financial aid and scholarships. I learned the FAFSA system and how to do applications correctly. I was trained on the banner system and learned codes for financial aid.

The hardest part of the job was to tell people that they did not qualify for FAFSA.

The most enjoyable part was helping students get the financial aid to go to college.
Excellent Experience
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILApril 23, 2015
Rooming patients, entering data into Centricity, taking vitals
drawing blood
Associates degree in Healthcare Management
Class mate and co-worker provided support that backed my training at Harper college.
The hardest part of the job was knowing that some of the patients I saw were going to pass away from Cancer.
Most enjoyable part of the day was meeting the patients and knowing that I was providing them with the understanding, listening and care that my position would allow.
Pros
Providing care
Cons
Launuage barriers
Great people to work with
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILFebruary 26, 2015
Working in an academic environment is a great way to spend your day. Would have loved to have had more opportunities to advance.
Flexible !
Desk Attendant (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILFebruary 2, 2015
As a student desk attendant, you learn that helping people with computer programs its useful and valued. There can be hectic mix up among students but once they respect you, they respect center rules. That way your job can be easier.
Very student focused.
Service Desk Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILOctober 27, 2014
Very focused on student support. As an employee in Academic Advising and Counseling, we make sure students know that our counselors are here to inform them of all the course information, colleges that we have an agreement with and transfer information. Students are encouraged to take advantage of all areas of support.
Pros
as a part-time employee, i get paid vacation and holidays.
Cons
not high on promotion from within.
Productive and fun workplace with great managers.
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILAugust 31, 2014
The managers here really care about seeing the kids improve in their swimming skills. A typical day there as a swim instructor was fun and it taught me a lot.
Great place to work, the job is excellent experience
Supplemental Instructor (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILApril 16, 2014
Working at Harper College has been fantastic. Unfortunately, my job as Supplemental Instructor is by nature a temporary job, and my employment at Harper will end in May of 2014.
Good work environment.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILNovember 20, 2013
A typical day at work consists of administrative and non-administrative activities. Attending safety meetings, work in progress meetings, general departmental supervisory conferences and inspecting buildings.The hardest part of my job is finding hard working dedicated employees who see value in the job that they do. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I talk an employee and can convince him/her to enroll in school and to see that employee actually enrolls and graduate with an Associates Degree. The majority of my co-workers are very helpful and understanding. Management is supportive and encourages you to attend seminars or enroll in classes to improve your skills.
Pros
excellent insurance and employee benefits.
Cons
i work at night.
Summary
Member of Future Educator's Club (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILOctober 14, 2013
Great school, learned a lot and met some amazing teachers. Cheap tuition and reasonable classes.
Pros
teachers, professors, grades
Cons
poor communication
Excellent college to work for.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILOctober 9, 2013
Created, developed, and taught 'Catch The Sky Flying Physics'. Taught 'Manufacturing Careers & Entrepreneurship'. Both of these are summer daytime youth programs.
Pros
good people and facility.
Harper College
Computer Lab Specialist (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILMarch 13, 2013
Wacthing The Room Time Checking Students in Keeping The room Clean
Student On-campus job
Vice President (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILJanuary 7, 2013
All of the people around were very nice, and the culture around a student activities office is predictably high.
Pros
very nice coworkers, constantly was busy and it helped pass the time. good news was usually the only news.
Cons
this was a volunteer position and had no benefits or pay
fair place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILMarch 21, 2012
Working at harper was fair. Was able to grow and know how to work in an office environment.

4.2