Harper College Employee Reviews

I love it
SUPPLEMENTAL INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILApril 29, 2017
Working for Harper College has been a honor and a privilege. I work with students on a daily basis. I provide them with a different way to learn and with that, it forties the content in a way that makes sense.
Pros
flexable
Fun and relaxed workplace
Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILApril 22, 2017
Working at Harper College was a great opportunity for me. The work was very leisurely and the team was very friendly. I also had flexible hours to accommodate my class schedule.
Good
Computer Aide (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILMarch 6, 2017
Flexible hours, job free time allows me to study freely, good source of experience for my field. Diverse staff with many different majors allows for a fun experience during downtime.
Pros
Study time, flexible hours
Cons
Low pay
Harper College
Custodial Manager (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILFebruary 22, 2017
Harper College is great place to work the benefits are awesome the hours of work are not, 3rd shift and the money could be better.
Benefits
Cons
Work hours
Educational
PBX Switchboard Operator, Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILJanuary 28, 2017
I enjoyed working with students and clients.
I answered switchboard inbound calls and answered questions or directed calls in a timely manner. Greeted students and clients.
Set up conferences for directors and managers.
Opened and distributed mail, data entry, copy, fax, scan
Good learning experience
Student-Aide (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILOctober 6, 2016
Learned more than typical students would while working for the school in the welding-manufacturing department.
If you have time to spare, there is no reason not to work there (if offered)
Tutor and Supplemental Instructor (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILAugust 13, 2016
I worked in the Harper College tutoring center. I met with students one-on-one for an hour to review material and answer questions. As a tutor you have the option to work a certain set schedule or appointment only. I enjoyed my time as a tutor and would recommend the experience to anyone who has this opportunity.
Pros
Located on campus
Cons
Hours fluctuate and depend on other students
Faculty/Students Really Getting Squeezed
Social Science Instructor (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILJuly 13, 2016
I have been an adjunct here for years. When I started I had a Dean that did not cancel many classes and thus allowed both me and students stability. We knew that in a week classes would begin. I could prep. More recently that Dean was promoted and replaced by someone who seems to love cutting classes if they don't meet her number of 15 students (note-this is not a regulation written anywhere).
This has made life a lot less liveable. A lot of adjuncts teach several classes, even at multiple schools. To save that time period and prep for a class and then not have it run at the last second is awful. I can imagine it isn't easy for the students either!
Sadly, the budget crisis in Springfield has only made this worse. The college laid off nearly 20 employess and about 40 full-time position up for hire were eliminated. In short, its not worth adjuncting in hopes of replacing a full-timer. They are simply eliminating those positions when they retire.
Pros
Pay is decent by adjunct standards, Good classroom Technology
Cons
Classes are cancelled at the last week, No room for Advancement
productive and very helpful
Student AIDE, ESL Deparment (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILMay 10, 2016
Harper College is a place where I could learn to exchange ideas, share with people from different countries.
He helped them in various ways and I think it is very rewarding to help someone without receiving anything in return
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILApril 27, 2016
It has been a growing experience. With State funding being low, it creates uneasiness. Other than that the overall culture is pleasant.
Pros
Wonderful benefits, programs and students.
Cons
With State funding being low, it creates uneasiness.
Good, safe work environment
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILJanuary 26, 2016
William Rainey Harper College has a safe, well-maintained, and clean campus. The faculty and staff there are extremely nice and professional, and the adjunct faculty positions there offer the opportunity for growth in the field of Education.
Pros
Good, safe, and clean work environment.
Cons
Have to cater to conflicting student requests and opinions.
Good work environment
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILJanuary 26, 2016
Harper College provides a very good work environment. The campus is very safe, and the faculty, and staff there are very professional, and punctual. I had isolated incidents when I encountered people in the common areas who appeared to be neither faculty/staff nor students, nor in any way affiliated with the college who were wearing inappropriate and unprofessional attire.
Pros
Friendly and safe environment.
Cons
You are dealing with many students who have conflicting demands and requests.
Love helping students
Financial Aid Systems Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Palatine ILOctober 13, 2015
Good teamplayer, meet deadlines and I am very advance knowledge in Excel and Microsoft. I was in charge of Federal Work Study program helping students get hired and monitor their funding's.
Healthcare Nursing Program
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILJuly 2, 2015
Co-workers are wonderful. The lead instructors are fantastic.
One draw back adjunct are not invited to attend the FT faculty meetings or asked to set on committees. It is strongly believe adjunct feedback could have a positive impact on clinical decisions.
Pros
Flexiable
Cons
Communication
Pleasure working with students
Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILMay 27, 2015
I love the interaction working with students and their parents in order to assist students with first steps into entering college.

I would help students with applying for financial aid and scholarships. I learned the FAFSA system and how to do applications correctly. I was trained on the banner system and learned codes for financial aid.

The hardest part of the job was to tell people that they did not qualify for FAFSA.

The most enjoyable part was helping students get the financial aid to go to college.
Excellent Experience
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILApril 23, 2015
Rooming patients, entering data into Centricity, taking vitals
drawing blood
Associates degree in Healthcare Management
Class mate and co-worker provided support that backed my training at Harper college.
The hardest part of the job was knowing that some of the patients I saw were going to pass away from Cancer.
Most enjoyable part of the day was meeting the patients and knowing that I was providing them with the understanding, listening and care that my position would allow.
Pros
Providing care
Cons
Launuage barriers
Great people to work with
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILFebruary 26, 2015
Working in an academic environment is a great way to spend your day. Would have loved to have had more opportunities to advance.
Flexible !
Desk Attendant (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILFebruary 2, 2015
As a student desk attendant, you learn that helping people with computer programs its useful and valued. There can be hectic mix up among students but once they respect you, they respect center rules. That way your job can be easier.
Very student focused.
Service Desk Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILOctober 27, 2014
Very focused on student support. As an employee in Academic Advising and Counseling, we make sure students know that our counselors are here to inform them of all the course information, colleges that we have an agreement with and transfer information. Students are encouraged to take advantage of all areas of support.
Pros
As a part-time employee, I get paid vacation and holidays.
Cons
Not high on promotion from within.
Productive and fun workplace with great managers.
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILAugust 31, 2014
The managers here really care about seeing the kids improve in their swimming skills. A typical day there as a swim instructor was fun and it taught me a lot.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harper College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3