HarperCollins Publishers Employee Reviews

Wonderful Experience
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 31, 2017
I enjoyed my time here very much. Wonderful people, interesting work, and lovely work enviornment. Was able to maintain a great work/life balance during my time here.
nice place, productive
Temp Processor (Former Employee) –  LaPorte, INSeptember 25, 2017
processing books and putting them in appropriate place. i learned about working at a book return center. management is good at their jobs. culture of work place is good. hardest part of job is meeting the quota. most enjoyable part of job is the work itself.
Cool job but low pay
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 22, 2017
Very hierarchical and political
Takes a long time to get promoted
A lot of lay-offs
Exciting to work with world-renowned writers and illustrators
Long history of excellent books
Interesting work.
Corporate Chauffeur (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2017
Why am I required to answer these questions. The information I have and my work experience at HC are confidential. It is a large book publishing company.
Pros
Interesting
Wonderful place to work
Marketing Manger (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 19, 2017
Great work/life balance. Competitive salary. Great advancement opportunities up to (and including) the director level. Great co-workers. Great place to hone marketing skills. Company is invested in helping employees grow into their full potentials.
Stuck in time
Director of Web Operations (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 19, 2017
Harper loves to talk about innovation, but they're stuck in time right around 1998. Their digital operation is a mess, no thanks to a bad hire at the executive level. The sad part is that there is great opportunity and promise in the publishing space, (yes, even now!) but Harper is so risk averse they can't get out of their own way to try it. Instead there is tons of money being wasted on fruitless marketing and not in redefining the business strategy.
For me it was a good expierence.
PRINCIPAL TECHNOLOGY INNOVATOR (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2017
In retrospect I wish I had not left the company. It's a busy but friendly environment, most are a pleasure to work with. I felt I was never going to be promoted, but did not have a lot to complain about in hind sight.
Pros
Good work enviroment
Cons
None come to mind
Nice contract
Contractor/project manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2017
My Project Management skills are put to the test with regards to meeting timelines and delivering on time. As well as negotiating contracts with legal.
Pros
A lot of freedom
Dream Job
Sales Support Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2017
As a lover of books, this was a dream job. I got to be surrounded by books, talk about books and travel. My managers were wonderful men who took an interest in my career and offered assistance to help me grow.

The only reason I left this job was because I moved away from NYC. If I hadn't, I think I could have worked here forever.
Pros
Summer Fridays
Best people to work alongside with
VP Spanish International Sales (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 7, 2017
I loved the people I worked with. They cared about their job and for each other. Most of the leadership was excellent. Unfortunately it was difficult to make changes without the process dragging out for a long time (check with NY, check with the lawyers) - in some cases afraid that they were going to get sued by someone.
Pros
Free books
Cons
Layers of approvals
Great place to work in Buffalo but managed from Ontario.
Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 18, 2017
It is not what you do it is who you work with. Everyone worked together, it is a shame they are cutting back and laying some folks off. The only thing that made it really difficult was the cut backs in the IT Staff. When the cutbacks were announced the Network analyst and the Help Desk Analyst both left, leaving a big knowledge drain. Ugly but workable.
Pros
The People In Buffalo
Cons
Management being in Toronto driven by huge business oversite
Established publishing company that adapted to digitization during these years.
Director of Finance & Accounting (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 19, 2016
Zondervan division reporting to Corporate in New York. Managed divisional staff including personal responsibilities. Primary financial liason to Corporate headquarters in conjunction with CFO.
Love working with Christian books
Editorial Coordinator, Bibles Department (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 7, 2016
I loved working in the Bibles department, immersing myself in God's Word everyday, and surrounding myself with friendly, positive and professional coworkers.
Pros
Making a difference
Cons
You don't have to be a Christian to work there
HarperCollins Christian Publishing
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 6, 2016
HCCP is such a great place to work. I enjoy the people I work with and the work that I get to do. The work life balance is great and there is such a sense of team work and comrade there. I highly recommend if you like making an impact for The Gospel, HCCP is the place to do it.
Great people, less great atmosphere
Electronic Text Management Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2016
Worked with some of the best people here but never felt appreciated by higher ups. Laid off my entire department and said "we were welcome to reapply for our jobs", but then gave them to cheaper entry levels.
Professional company, excellent books.
Book Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Huntersville, NCSeptember 30, 2016
Harper Collins is one of the best publishers. They have a wide variety of categories of books, both fiction and non-fiction. I sent them my application through BookLook, and they began sending me free books to read. I enjoy receiving Harper Collins books posting good honest reviews.
Major yet friendly publishing house
Novelist (Current Employee) –  TennesseeSeptember 14, 2016
New authors struggle to sing a contract with a publishing house that is willing to publish their work and bet for it. Harper Collins is one of the largest publishing houses in the world and yet it bet on me and I have been treated very nicely by their editing team. They are putting a great effort into the editing, the design of the covers, and I am completely satisfied and happy.
Pros
Second largest publishing house in the world
Wonderful company with a high value system, clear mission, and friendly employees.
Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 10, 2016
From the CEO to the secretary, the employees at HCCP are some of the kindest, most genuine people who share a number of similar personal core values and an enthusiasm for the mission of the company.
Preying on Faith
Digital Content Engineer (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 31, 2016
Company puts out products that prey on the faith of all christians. Hard to stomach their marketing and some other characteristics of the publishing industry
Pros
nada
Cons
nada
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 30, 2016
Needs some additional supervisors in the customer service area. Left job because wanted to work on some projects for my house and be able to work closer to home