Harpoon Brewery Employee Reviews

Hard Work - Little Pay Off
Beer Captain (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 12, 2017
Though the industry is fun and the coworkers are great, this position requires and incredible amount of energy both physical and mental. Work life balance is non-existent and management is very disorganized and unprofessional. Employees however are held at the highest of standards.
Pros
Lots of Beer, Coworkers, Ocassional free meal
Cons
Long shifts, Short breaks, Pooled tips
Productive and fun workplace.
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 27, 2016
Harpoon Brewery is the ideal company to work for. Working at a brewery is exactly how it sounds, a lot of fun. I highly recommend applying to work at Harpoon if you get the chance.
Fun work environment, free beer, great employees
Beer Mate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 25, 2016
• Responsible for changing kegs in the Harpoon Beer Hall.
• Maintain beer hall keg-coolers in regard to inventory and cleanliness.
• Conduct daily keg-cooler inventories.
• Assist in the cleaning of beer hall keg lines and beer taps on a biweekly basis.
Mixed bag of "good job" and Chaos
Brewery Representative (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 9, 2016
educating wholesalers on our products and trying to increase sales. Then doing eveything by yourself anyways
Learned how low people can actually sink, learned not to trust anyone
Learned that being loyal doesn't mean garbage
co-workers were good people but some totally taking advantage of working on your own" doing the exact opposite one "successful" rep told me he watched movies all day long
Management is very unaware and one or more are dangerous to the business
Pros
Tough to think of, pats on the back very rare
Cons
micro managed
Almost cult-like
Beer Captain (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 21, 2016
Great job to gain service industry experience but low pay for the amount of work compared to other service jobs.

The team tends to only hang out with other harpoon employees and think that harpoon is their life. Management seems to keep these people around so they can make them do whatever they want.
Pros
Lots of free beer, clean facilities
Cons
3 14 hour days in a row with no breaks
driver
CDL Class B Driver (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 7, 2016
I worked there for about 7 weeks as a CDL driver. While driving you are paid $6.00 per hr plus pieces, piece rate varies from 28 a case to 70 a barrel (keg). I found the other drivers/shotgun to be knowledgeable of the routes. Other breweries pay better then Harpoon. There was no communications between the sales staff and the distribution staff, you would find yourself making a delivering at a liquor on Tuesday only to return to the bar/restaurant next store Wednesday. The distribution manager was incompetent, I never seen a positive email the whole time I was there, he went to great lengths to blame drivers for his incompetence. No one respected him, as the newest driver I was required to make notes of established delivery times and established location of deliveries, and to get sales staff to coordinate their deliveries so driver are not return to business next door to each others during week. Beware if you are considering a driver position here,some driver can do no wrong, example: reroute deliveries because they don't want to do the delivery. I never got the chance to see if Harpoon was a good company, but I didn't leave a good company, I left a bad manager. I had a accident causing property damage and my manager instructed me to leave a note on the vehicle of the car and continue on with my route. That was final straw. The culture I observed was bad manager stay and good employees leave.
Pros
unfortunately I couldn't find one
Cons
management, compensation
Excellent working environment
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Windsor, VTOctober 21, 2015
Tremendous staff and overall atmosphere. Great place to be and easy to build rapport with regular customers. Many opportunities to meet people from out of state and share information with them about the company.
Fun on the go job with somthing new every day
Operations (Former Employee) –  BostonJuly 6, 2015
Working in packaging was an experience of a life time. I learned a lot over the three years I worked at Harpoon. Every day we had problems but the team is skilled and can deal with about anything that comes up.
Pros
Learned new skills, free beer, Employee owned, good coworkers, friends, and managment, owners
Cons
You have to work hard and keep up, If you cant make the cut your gone, Everyone is expected to do their job
Productive, fast paced working environment
Production Supervisor/Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 4, 2014
A typical day, would include starting up the line in preperation to run Beer on that days dedicated line. Whether it be canning, racking, or bottling. Progressing through that run, fixing machines as they would break down, to continue with production, minimizing downtime. Second Shift would take over at 2pm, and clean the machines and finish the paper work at the end of the day.
The amount of knowledge I gained on a mechanical stand point in the three years I was there, was more then I did in 7 years as an automotive Tech. I was able to apply my knowledge of cars, into a machine stand point and with some guidance from others, became very familiar with about 85% of the machines in the Brewery.
I worked with some of the best people I have ever met there, real down to earth hard working individuals. Hardest part of the job, was doing 3 different jobs, while needing to be at 3 different places at once. Took sometime to get the time mitigation down, after a while it started to flow much better. Most enjoyable part of the job was my co workers, working with good people makes for a much better work experience, as well as many good laughs, while staying on task and getting the job done.
Pros
Pizza Thursday
Cons
Constantly bouncing schedules, working first shift/second shift randomly throughout the week.
Fun and Exciting
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, VTJanuary 20, 2014
Serving taste test to Customers of beers We made and sold,I learned about how a brewery operates,was a fun place to work,management okay most of the time! Lifting kegs was hard!
Pros
1/2 off lunch, and a few breaks
Cons
work Every weekend
Total mediocrity
Production grunt (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 6, 2013
Working for Harpoon on the production side, you will very quickly realize that Harpoon exists, not to make the best beer possible, but to keep the old-guard managers employed. Management is threatened by experience and outside experience. Any thoughts about improving operations and efficiencies? Keep 'em to yourself. If you have half a brain, you'll very quickly learn who the "made guys" are and that if you aren't willing to drink the kool-aid, you will also learn that you're not one of them.
Pros
Leftovers from the 5:30 Clubs. CoLA pay raises.
Cons
Entrenched management. Stagnant company culture. Limited opportunities for advancement
its a young mans job,
Route Driver CDL B truck (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 27, 2012
as a route driver once u have that route there is nothing else for u to do. they are very CHEAP. they don't take criticism well and blame everything on the drivers. my co-workers were good but no outside contact after work. the hardest part of the job is dealing with the lazy sales reps for ur income depends totally on ur sales reps. they have several events during the year and they want u to work them for FREE the company makes great money on these events and u get zilch. my customers were the best part of my job, as a driver u need to have the right personality no one wants to deal with a grumpy UN happy employees
Pros
free beer, 4 day work week. free trip 2 europe after 5 yrs.
Cons
work extra events for free, the way the owners look down on u