Harps Food Stores Employee Reviews in United States

Absolutely amazing company to work for
Receiver, frozen/dairy manager, stocker, cashier (Former Employee) –  Searcy, ARMarch 17, 2016
I enjoyed working for Harps and wish I had never quit.
I enjoyed learning so many aspects of the company and learning lots of different jobs.
I had a great manager and was taught well how to do my job (s) correctly and productively.
Pros
long lunch, awesome management
Cons
not easy to advance
Productive but not appreciative.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARMarch 7, 2016
They will always keep you with a job as long as you are willing to work and you do your job. However pay isn't their and they don't pay more to those associates who work more than others making the same.
Pros
Employee ownership-stock
Cons
low pay
hometown grocer
manager (Current Employee) –  Chelsea, OKJanuary 18, 2016
likes co-workers,but hours fluctuate too much to be called a full time job.job is a bit stressful,love working with people
Productive environment and amazing leadership
Closing Manager (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, ARJanuary 17, 2016
When I first started at the company in 2014 I had no idea I'd end up falling in love with my job and the company as a whole. I had a wonderful leader as a Grocery store manager who taught me everything I know about leadership, inventory, and being hands on with your employees. I will forever remember my amazing work experience with this great company!
Pros
Great pay, wonderful leadership learning experience
Cons
young workers made it difficult sometimes to manage
Fun
RECEIVING SUPERVISOR / NIGHT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, AROctober 7, 2015
Fun place to work for a opening job. But little opportunity for advancement. Very laid back and great people to work with. Good opportunity to interact with everyday people.
Fast pace work enviroment
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Prairie Grove, ARSeptember 7, 2015
Fun, and fast pace work environment. My daily routine was providing excellent customer service, selected and packaged products ordered by customers, and followed all safety regulations.
Worth trying
Department Manager- Produce (Former Employee) –  Bella Vista, ARJuly 26, 2015
Working here you won't get rich but the best thing about it you know where you stand. You just got to look at it the ESOP plan will give you a good retirement in the end.
Pros
Retirement
Cons
Too low of pay
Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, ARJuly 24, 2015
Very good company, with great incentives. Has management issues.
Coworkers are hard working people, they do build a team with the right management. The hardest part of the job was building the team and finding the right people that are willing to work as hard as you are to meet goals. Meeting my EBITDAE and exceeding it time and time again was most enjoyable part.
Pros
Team work
Cons
sometimes weird hours to have family coherency
Productive and busy place to work at
Closing Manager (Current Employee) –  Conway, ARJune 10, 2015
Overall a very good starter job. Not the best place to make a career unless you would get a store or grocery management position
Pros
Schedule flexibility, full benefits
Cons
no set schedule, lots of overtime
A Great Opportunity for Advancement
CLOSING MANAGER; DAIRY/FROZEN MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Mayflower, ARJune 10, 2015
During my career with Harps, I was almost always met with interesting challenges to overcome each day, and managers always willing to help me advance.

Working with the public, there are always very unique situations that must be handled differently for each individual, and excellent customer service is always imperative. Along with this, high productivity is necessary, due to multiple responsibilities including customer service functions, cashiering, working load for many sub-departments, and leading a team simultaneously. Management is always ready and available to help with any inconsistencies or issues needed to be covered.

Working with the many teams I have worked with, I can say that the I have had a great opportunity to meet a lot of very interesting people. Though not always necessarily good, my coworkers have, overall, helped me succeed at my job, and we are very like a family.

Perhaps the most challenging thing to handle has been handling irate customers. Working for the public, it is inevitable that you will meet with some customers that feel as though they have been wronged. However, the ability, as a closing manager, to make things right by that customer and ensure their continued happiness and consistent business if extremely rewarding.

The most enjoyable part of my job has been, by far, the satisfaction of meeting expectations on a daily basis. Meeting all of the challenges of serving the public on top of being chief executive in the evening and directing a team of workers to meet our set goals is extremely rewarding in its own way. As a side note,
  more... there is an incredible opportunity for advancement, as long as a hardworking attitude is adopted and presented.  less
Pros
Great Experience, Opportunity for Advancement
Cons
Limited Part-Time Hours
A good first job
Dishwasher, Diamond Head (Former Employee) –  Mountain Home, ARJune 5, 2015
I worked there for a year and nine months. The job offered a good benefit program that I was not elligible for at the time because of my age. The hours weren't unreasonable, and I was scheduled enough time to make money. Management could be more cordial and understanding of employees. My co-workers were for the most part helpful.
Pros
3rd shift
never a dull moment
CASH OFFICE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARMay 28, 2015
Never a day without work. There was always things that can be done. I've learned how to deal with all types of people and effectively managing between customers and associates. The associates were for the most part like a family and a team, working together in almost all departments to try and achieve the same goal. The hardest part for me was getting up and going to work everyday at 4 am, but the nature of the job, dealing and organizing the money, was the most enjoyable.
Boring
Baker (Former Employee) –  Bella Vista, ARSeptember 25, 2014
Prepared bread dough & baked bread. Packaged the finished product.
Made doughnuts.
Took the frozen dough out of the freezer at the end of each shift for the next day.
Pros
four ten hour days
Cons
low pay & poor benefits
An ok job.
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Batesville, ARSeptember 10, 2014
Show up to work on time, figure out what your goal for the day is, for example, what aisles you need to face or what carts you need to put out. Co-workers are friendly and laid back unless its a busy day then it can get pretty frantic trying to get all the stuff that needs done completed in a timely manner. If you do good you don't usually get a pat on the back, but if you do something wrong you will get in trouble and have to have a talk with the store manager and your hours will be cut until you prove your worth again. The best part of the job is the customers and how they are mostly friendly and they joke around with you. The hardest part of the job is how much stuff you have to get done in very little time when it's very busy. I have learned that you can not please everyone and how to work more efficiently.
Cons
short breaks, hours cut as a punishment, how some of the workers treat each other.
Very fast paced and fun place to be, great customers and co-workers
Deli lead (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, ARMay 4, 2014
A great place to be, I recieved lots of training and was encouraged to move up in the company.
Overall great place to work!
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Greenbrier, ARMarch 24, 2014
A typical day at Harps as a cashier includes running a cash register and possibly stocking shelves during slow periods. For the most part, co-workers all have good attitudes. Hardest part of the job was standing on your feet all day.
Excellent Independant Company (family owned)
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARMarch 24, 2014
I was a retail grocery stove manager in Waco, Texas.
This company was 1st class in everything they do.
The biggest lesson I learned was about applying technology to a retail environment to help manage with useful data.
Pros
personell and training
Cons
they were in texas. i needed to get to arkansas.
Office manager
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Walnut Ridge, ARMarch 21, 2014
handled daily operations of the office , cash sheet deposits
open 7 days a week
worked hoildays
busy place
Pros
great staff
Cons
long hours, little pay
Harps is a good first job
customer service manager (Current Employee) –  fayetteville arkansasFebruary 12, 2014
come in count the safe, get out my person register till put at customer service or at a register which ever is needed that day.
Good company but salary is low
Store Manager, Grocery Manager, Closing Manager (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARNovember 20, 2013
Harps gave me my start into management and for that I will always be thankful. Unfortunately the grocery business is not highly profitable and it is difficult for them to pay exteremely well. Due to this I had to seek employment elsewhere. The company has steadily grown and is employee owned. I enjoyed my time there but eventually outgrew it.
Pros
consistant, growing
Cons
low pay, hours