Harrah's Entertainment Inc. Employee Reviews

You Sell Your Soul The Moment You Get Hired.
Various (Former Employee) –  Cherokee, NCJune 2, 2012
This is not a biased review but a straightforward account, as I have worked at this location in three separate departments over the years with each being worst than the last in more ways than one.

To get started every single employee that I have ever worked with there hates their job for one reason or another.

Listed below is ten reasons:

1. The management and their lack of consideration and appreciation for their employees.
2. Department head favoritism shown towards certain employees.
3. An under compensated pay rate for the work and degradation you actually have to put up with.
4. Vicious, unruly "guests" who feel entitled to everything and in reality are owed nothing.
5. False promises of advancement and promotion within department and throughout.
6. A seriously flawed point system.
Example: Upon returning to work after recovering from an illness, even when proper medical documentation is provided you still get pointed. Most cases are determined as seen fit by your supervisor and/or head of department, which the end result is nine times out of ten being pointed.
7. 01 preference. Everyone else is second best.
8. Fellow employees are allowed to write observations on you, both good and bad for the most ridiculous reasons.
9. Suggestions and improvements you have and offer often go unheard and are never pursued by upper management.
10. Employee Relations: This department is no longer for the employees anymore, but for the company itself.

These are just ten reasons why this is the absolute worst place to work. Need more reasons? Work there for yourself and find out firsthand.
Pros
i have nothing good to say about this place.
Cons
too many to list.

Comment – July 6, 2012

very true assesment , worked there a short time, horrible management, especially in foodservice dept.

Fantastic Co-workers and Great Corporate Culture
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILApril 1, 2015
Harrah's (now Caesar's Entertainment) is a great company to work for. They understand that if you have happy employees you deliver a much deeper, more genuine guest experience. Work / life balance is important to management and necessary training always seems available. I felt that my opinion matters.
Every shift after prep / setup I decided on the drink of the day. It could have been an original creation or a standard that fit some occasion or entrée. That was a good time to try out some new ideas.
My bar functioned as the weekday service bar for two restaurants as well as having a lounge of its own. We also served anyone waiting to be seated for dinner as well as the occasional overflow. If the bar was slow, I would help run food. It was nice always having something to do.
The best part of the job was the people there. Harrah's really goes out of their way to hire the most friendly, personable people they can find. It showed every day. I've never worked anywhere that co-workers from any department were so ready to help solve whatever issues may arise. I believe the genuinely friendly atmosphere attracts genuinely friendly guests who actually want to be there instead of just being there to be 'served.' I understand it's not the guests responsibility to be friendly, but it sure makes the day better. I enjoyed my time working with and for the people at Harrah's.
Pros
Great work environment and opportunities for advancement
Cons
Could have used more business volume
A place that I've truly received more from than I'd ever imagined.
Dining Area Attendant (Current Employee) –  Atlantic City, NJMay 2, 2014
This is literally the first job that I've held for over a year's time, aside from working with my father mowing lawns. I have gained an immense amount of experience, knowledge, finesse, through countless interactions with an innumerable amount of customers, or as we in the casino industry like to refer to our customers as, "guests." I initially started as a bus-person, cleaning and setting tables, as well as, serving beverages to guests. Having worked that position for 5 years - also worth mentioning is that this was and still remains my very first restaurant job - I'd learning quite swiftly that casinos truly have a "revolving door." I've worked with many different bus-persons, waiters/waitresses, bartenders, bar-porters, supervisors, managers and executives, and each of them had bestowed upon me a fixed amount of their knowledge. Some of it was extremely pertinent and incomparably useful while other disclosures were arbitrary or completely vacuous in nature. All in all, I do not regret taking this job.
Pros
union and non-union positions provide ostensible job security, lucrative, etc.
Cons
hour reductions, loss of benefits, etc.
Exciting place to call work
Bus Person (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 14, 2015
I love this this job, Its Guy Fieri's restaurant. Guy is passionate about cooking. creativity and strong minded individuals. My typically work day seems like it goes by within 2 hours. its an extremely fast paced environment that can become very stressful if you are not one you toes. Working in an environment such as this one has taught me self discipline and the true meaning of team work. We all work with one goal in mind which allows us to get the job done, even if that means carrying more weight every now and then. Our core is our talented group of managers who continue to motivate us each day. The people I work along side everyday are all have big heats and are open minded, its a pleasure working with them day in and day out. The most difficult thing about my job is not being able to see everyone leave in a better mood than when thy came in. The most enjoyable part is when I hear guest brag about the display of teamwork that goes on in the restaurant.
Pros
EDR which is short for employee dining room and the best part is that its free.
Cons
loud music
Very pleasant place to work. You interact with your customer and make them feel welcome to the casino.
Cashier / Dealer / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJuly 23, 2013
A Typical day at work : To me I enjoy my job every minute of it. When you get sent to your working station the best thing to start off the shift right is greeting your customer introduce yourself to everyone at your station and make it an enjoyable day by interacting with the customer thru out the day.

What I learned: Is if you make your customer feel welcome and happy they will always come back and remember that moment that they enjoy while playing at you table. It's truly a pleasant for me to know that someone had my full attention.

Management: I never had issue with management they were always there to listen to anyone concern.

Co-workers: You always have one or two that has their issue but you learned to work around it.
The hardest part of the job: Trying to please everyone request, other than that I didn't find it hard at all. I really did enjoyed my job.

The most enjoyable part of the job: When I notice everyone was having a good time while they were visiting Harrah's casino. It makes me feel like I have made someone day worth their stay.
Pros
the better you treat your customer the bigger the tip for the dealers.
Cons
when their is upset customer and they don't give a chance to change things to positive.
I loved working for Harrahs
Guest Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 9, 2015
This was my first Front Desk job and I enjoyed it. I worked for many casinos before and I do enjoy Harrahs because they treat employees good. Everyone is trained for good customer service so no one is allowed to say, "well thats your job, not mine." Which I heard that many times before in different places. They trained me with the system to check people in & out. Gave me nice dress clothes uniform: Suit and tie. They also have this site its like amazon.com where we can buy everything we want but using our points, points you earn while you do your own job. So basically you are getting recognized for the work your doing which was awesome for me because I've worked for many jobs before that I would bust my butt working hard and I would never get no recognition for it and my bosses would say, "Well I've never seen anything from you." My supervisors are very supportive.

Its a good place my only problem was the schedule, they put me in random hours and it was hard to balance a second job and a life. Thats the only part they weren't supportive.
Pros
Paid Hour Lunches, Free Lunches, Good Healthcare
Cons
Not a Consistent Schedule
take care of guests and all repairs
Eng. 2. My swung shift boss now is Dave Carter (Current Employee) –  Reno NvSeptember 13, 2015
Last time i work there it was great. but sense iv'e back there more worried about a minuet. Employees don't count any more.coworkers are great. Management not to bad. They did hire some young men but they went to other shifts, the other shift could have use at least one of them.and they got the best days even better the us that that been there longer. we need some mechanics that are small enough to fit in small places, we have a lot of them. They hired a big man, hes a good mechanic, he came another one of our property with 4 weeks vac.and high pay that's fine but they could hire 3 young men and train them, it would have been more cost effective. We got top mechanic that know our building completely. I don't think they know how to hire anymore in the Engineering department.the hardest is caring into them small places working on the H.V.A.C. valves.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
health care and good benefits
Harrah's joliet Experience
Busser-Fine Dining (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILNovember 6, 2012
A typical day for me at work is coming in an hour early to have everything prepared for when the restaurant is open. Putting the bread in the oven making sure the silverware, linen, ice and garbage cans are stocked in all of the server wells. At reserve steak house at Harrah’s Joliet is where i mastered my customer service skills. The management at Harrah's is very good there always helpful, supportive, motivational. The management team always keeps the work place upbeat and positive. The co-workers I work with are great there all about team play and helping out one another never thinking about their selves an always wanting to go the extra mile for the customers. The hardest part about the job is the distance from my home. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting the opportunity to talk with different types of people, Hearing about their day just interacting with the guest that comes to Harrah's Joliet.
Pros
food 3 dollars every day discount on all harrah's casino's fun place to work
Cons
no breaks no lunch
A cobbled together company that over-reached and fell flat
President's Associate (Former Employee) –  USAAugust 30, 2012
Your experience here will vary drastically depending on what location you're assigned to. The company went through a series of acquisitions and never really integrated as far as corporate values and policies are concerned. I was lucky enough to be in an openly hostile environment that resented MBAs and got out before the LBO happened and they almost went bankrupt. I frankly don't know anyone that still works there. It definitely fits the saying that "All that glitters isn't gold."
I will say the work was very interesting and the analytical skills you gain are top notch. Unfortunately, I worked with jerks, and the crazy hours I put in weren't worth it for the little extra I got paid. If you're willing to put up with all of this, you might as well go to an i-bank and get paid for it.
Pros
cool industry, engaging work
Cons
culture, ridiculous hours, now owned by private equity
Reasonable Workplace
Poker Room Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAAugust 3, 2014
A typical day at work was first seeing how many games were going and were there any special things I should know ex. did anyone call in sick, do we have enough staff for the potential volume of customers etc. what I learned about managemant is that I am very much more suitable to be one than to not be one, if that makes sense. The co-workers are the same everywhere, people are people, if you are fair with them they will respect you, respect the job, and most likely perform better. The exact opposite being true if you are unfair. If you apply yourself things are simple and become routine. I liked interacting with the patrons who were the players but poker players are a queer bunch, and I found myself wanting to leave the gambling world and chart undiscovered [ by me ] territory
Pros
healthcare
Cons
being in a hurricaine friendly zone..thy name rita
Very interesting place to work. Something different to see everyday.
Surveillance Agent (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IANovember 21, 2013
Each day was a new experience. People coming and going from the casino, nightclub activity, and convention activities create a busy, non-stop day at work. You have to learn to pay attention to your surroundings and become a people watcher. Management becomes an important part coordinating all efforts with state police and security. The hardest part of the job was being able to multi-task. You could be watching security approach a intoxicated patron, watching a high roller on a table game and watching a particular person for a potential drug deal. You had to work in conjunction with your co-workers. Everyone had to be on top of their situation and still be able to help your co-worker with theirs.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of helping to keep someone safe and having a good time, as well as detering criminal activity.
Pros
good paycheck
Cons
rotated shifts the first few years i worked there.
Harrahs Resorts Casino is a nice place to work.
Gourmet Food and Beverage Server (Current Employee) –  Atlantic City, NJNovember 8, 2012
I am a very loyal and dedicated employee of any establishment I have ever been employed by I was working for the Brighton Casino and then the Sands Casino for over 26 years and worked the very last day that the Sands Casino was open for business. The casino and hotel was purchased by Pinnacle Resorts. The casino was then imploded in December, 2006

I was asked to join the Harrahs Casino team of employees by a former executive of the Sands Casino who knew my good work ethic
and experience in Food and Beverage Service.

I truly value my job because as a European waiter, we have strict
requirements to perform our jobs with pride and intergrity. I have always been serious in my duties and have been willing to work 7 days a week and as many hours as required. I enjoy my job and I
want to work well with both co-workers and management personnel.

I need and want a full time position with a professional organization.
Pros
attractive surroundings, beautiful restaurants, nice co-workers, nice management.
Cons
i have not had enough work hours. i need steady five to six days a week to work.
Great people to work with, but management needs to learn some things
Security Officer II (Former Employee) –  Stateline, NVJanuary 26, 2015
I worked in security for more than three years, and even though I was promised advancement opportunities, I only made it up one level despite my efforts. The coworkers were great, and if it was just that I would have never dreaded going into work. However, the upper management is out of touch and though they claim they listen to everyone, their actions say differently. Many of the new rules and policies they came up with would limit us instead of keep us safe or protected. The benefits were awesome. but when you get in trouble for doing what you're supposed to be doing and have people above you not doing their job but getting away with it, it almost doesn't make any of it worth it.
Pros
free meal and one hour paid lunch
Cons
management is out of touch and doesn't listen to anyone, "beneath them."
A wonderful place to work
Completed Supervisory Leadership Training Program (Former Employee) –  East Chicago, INApril 25, 2014
A typical day started with preventative maintenece rounds. Checking all mechanical equipment in the pavilion, hotel, and the casino. Repair and service any malfunctioning equipment. I enrolled in a supervisor training program. Worked with 170 ton roof top units, 340 ton chiller, gas fired boilers, phenumatic and electrical vav distributers. Monitored facility temperatures and adjusted areas accordingly with a Tracer Summit program. Management was very knowledgable and all co-workers came together as a great team. I truely enjoyed working at this facility and can not recall any tasks that I found hard or unenjoyable. I enjoyed learning the size and complexity of the machinery and always found my co-workers to be wonderful to work as a team with.
Pros
excellent benefits and very fair market pay
Cons
they sold the company, lots of things changed and it became a different environment.
Fun work environment at first, but quickly declines
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOMay 19, 2014
Working at Harrahs Casino was an incredibly fun experience. But as soon as Hollywood took over things began to decline. If you have any sort of difficult conflicts such as being a college student you will have a very hard time getting fair hours. Favoritism is an issue at the Hotel Front Desk. Good Luck moving up at all in the company. You start as the night shift (4-12) you stay on this shift until someone quits or moves up. Set days off are given out by seniority or so they say but many times favoritism plays a role here as well. Also the benefits for full time are pretty expensive, but part time is even worse.
Pros
good starting pay, fun ever changing environment
Cons
healthcare is very expensive, favoritism, poor management
Lied to at interview. Promotions not given on ability
dual rate supervisor (Former Employee) –  cherokee N.CJanuary 14, 2015
My interview consisted of me being told , come now you will start as a dual rate supervisor as that is the only position open, within 3 months you will be a RGM ( relief games manager ) 12 months you will be running a shift,
Interviewed for 3 promotions by 3 people with no casino experience, i was the best candidate on all 3 occasions , i was told this by my managers , my team members and my subordinates.
I did not receive an offer for the first 2 interviews, people with less experience were offered the positions ( they were yes men )
3rd position i was made an offer of $2000 less than i was earning at this time and it was a salaried position , salaried positions are given overtime every week with no compensation.
i turned down the offer .
I stayed with the company for 2 years 3 months and realized that there was no chance of advancement because people above me where scared of my knowledge and ability .
Harrah was a fast paced Casino, but I enjoyed every min off it.
Cage Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tunica, MSSeptember 9, 2014
A typical day at Harrah's Casino was meeting someone new every day, and a experience in its own. I learned something new everyday, my most fun experience was learning how to make Player's cards, when TR combine with the Cage. With the help of our supervisors, , we somehow made it threw our shift. I didn't think I would miss my former co-workers, as much as I do. The hardest part like I said before was adjust to make player cards, scratch offs, looking up patrons offers. They most enjoyable part of my job, was being there with my friends, every evening enjoy the patrons and the DJ and the dancing, and just enjoying people having fun.
Pros
on holidays our employer always made sure that we ate good.
Cons
our healthcare was pretty good, and our breaks was nice also.
Best place I ever worked!
Environmental Services Special Projects Supervisor (Former Employee) –  LAUGHLIN, NV and PHOENIX, AZSeptember 17, 2015
I worked at two locations and in several roles for over 18 years. The company promotes tons from within and their training and development programs are top notch. I was laid off in 2008 and was rehired. I was able to keep my seniority and work my way back up into management. I only left the company because I wanted to try something different. I have not found a company that even comes close. It is sad but true.
Pros
free lunches (or really cheap), tons of employee events, good pay, encourage transfers and learning new jobs
Cons
Work pretty much on all holidays and weekends unless you've got some senority. If you are management, you will more than likely work the holidays.
we had a thing where we would buy eachother cleaning products and had christmas parties and luncheons it was like working with family
GRA (Former Employee) –  Robinsonville, MSJune 29, 2015
I would come in clock in have a buzz for the day what was coming in and who and what time go up stock carts get are boards of rooms to clean and go in and clean the whole room to get it ready for guest checking in guest that stay over get beds made dusted vacuumed and replace towels if asked clean guest bathroom
management was fair and impartial
like my co-workers got to know them all
was having to work longer hours with more rooms do to call offs
going to work like my job so much like the people I worked with and miss very much so
Pros
They give you feedback on performance and you in turn get to give feedback on your supervisor
Cons
going from twenty rooms a day to possiable thirty depending on call offs
No raises and more work. Yea thats what everyone wants!
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Tunica, MSMay 4, 2013
Economy started going downhill so labor got cut back so all the chefs had to "support" our employees work areas to cover gaps in coverage even though the union employees complained about less hours even though they didn't realise we were covering their union jobs. (idiots) The employees in the buffet stab each other in the back each day so they have something to talk about rather than focus on the guests. If you get caught breathing the wrong way you will get documented so watch out for this area. The paperman cometh, and that right so!
Pros
10+ hour work days, backstabbing, write ups, listening to employees complain
Cons
there are no cons the whole place is a con so go ahead and sell it already!