Harris Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Service Desk Management is a Joke
Service Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLMay 20, 2016
This was my first job on the East Coast of the US (which I took a big pay-cut for, but was told it was worth it)... I nearly moved right back out West. I stayed for 8 or 9 months, tried to give it the "benefit of the doubt", but management was entirely incompetent. Having been in this field for over ten years, I have picked up a few tips and tricks... Made some suggestions to management that would help the whole of Harris, resolving issues before people even called in, and I was SCOLDED for this. Their reasoning was that "we need those phone calls"... that's right-- they are more interested in job security than they are resolving issues.

Tip for management-- if your entire job can be replaced by a batch file and a spreadsheet, you are IRRELEVANT. Go back to school.
Pros
Strong shoulders from carrying my manager on my back every day
Cons
inconsistent schedules, broken equipment, unhealthy work environment(mold, mildew), non-technical managers and supervisors
Harris is a wonderful corporation to work for.
Information System Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLMay 11, 2016
I loved my time working for Harris Corporation. I was giving the opportunity to succeed through hard work. In my last role, I managed 20+ government networks security compliance. I enjoyed interpreting government policies and implementing that guidance to the network configuration.
Pros
Challenging work where I was constantly busy.
Cons
Working in a vault for 40+ hours a week.
Manufacturing Engineering
Manufacturing Engineer III (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 4, 2016
I truly enjoyed my position at Harris. I enjoyed the interaction and providing immediate support to the quality assurance group, supervisors, mechanical/electrical engineering, procurement, scheduling, product analysis lab, production floor associates, assemblers, testers, and troubleshooters.
Overall, the job was perfect except the relocation to New York was not a preferred choice.
Pros
Top 10 Defense Company
Cons
Relocaiton
Good Company
Area Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  NJApril 26, 2016
Harris has a lot of well focused customer oriented workers who will do whatever it takes to get the job done.
Good place to work .
Pros
Team
good job
ASSSEMBLER (Former Employee) –  Amityville, NYApril 20, 2016
Even as a full time employee i didn't start with benefit's because i was considered a "job shopper" which i was hired and paid by an another company where they were paid say 20 an hour for me and only paid me 15 an hour. once a spot opened in Harris itself i could be accepted or not which normally takes a year.
Rewarding and demanding job
Commodity Manager (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAApril 12, 2016
a very fast paced - demand driven position. Requires working with project management, engineers, and many other internal customers.

Collaborative environment.
It's all about cost cutting
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLApril 11, 2016
Pros
Most of the employees are highly talented and dedicated and work to meet the needs of the customer. Harris provides an environment where people can see the impact of the work they do as most projects are small-medium sized programs and each team member plays an important role. For the employees that have not yet lost their 9/80 work week, this provides a nice work/life balance.

Cons
The corporate focus has shifted away from the customer and is overwhelmingly fixated on cost cutting. The and the primary means for achieving this objective is reducing labor costs through layoffs of senior personnel, cutting salaries and reducing benefits. Benefits have declined sharply in recent years. There is a great distrust of executive management and morale is very low.
Pros
You are paid every 2 weeks
Cons
CEO and executive management have tanked a once great company
Helpdesk Analyst
Helpdesk Technician (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLMarch 10, 2016
As a helpdesk analyst, we took care of internal customers across the Globe, and I was glad to do it. You spoke with many of the same people across time, and I was able to get to know many of the staff across the world.
Fsr
Fleet Support Representative (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 7, 2016
Great working group and the support of HR is phenomenal. There is plenty of room to grow within the company. I was able to be deployed most of the year, so I didn't get to experience office life.
Great Place Work
Senior Engineer-Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Camarillo, CAFebruary 9, 2016
Was very lucky to work for Harris. Stated as Engineer I and advanced to Senior Engineer in different Product lines. All member of the team were great.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Bad management, culture, and employee morale
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 23, 2016
Harris acts very similar to Exelis, which is a large company they recently acquired. Programs, budget, and schedule matter. Employees do not matter and are losing morale fast.

Management looks out for themselves with an emphasis on motivating workers by shrinking the work force constantly while increasing employee responsibilities. Do not upset management in any way or you'll be walked out the door with little consideration to your merit as a worker.

This company is headed for more of the same if they don't make some dramatic changes. Many changes have already taken place to fix the situation with little to no improvement to show for it. The downward spiral continues.
Pros
Lots of work
Cons
Not enough schedule to do work without upsetting someone
Great company that wants employees to grow
Business Support Intern (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 20, 2015
Great experience and I learn a tremendous amount from very helpful mentors, supervisors, and all employees. I enjoyed going to work everyday and felt that they challenged me and allowed me to learn through experience/
Pros
Great people and great environment
Good first job out of school
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLNovember 26, 2015
Harris is a mixed bag; on balance it is a good place to work. Benefits are good, but waning. Work/life balance varies greatly depending on the program assignment. Base salaries and advancement opportunities are poor. Management works hard to assign people to the programs of their choice.
Pros
Co-workers, 401k match, program mobility
Cons
Base salary, advancement opportunities, reliance on government contracts
Good program team
software engineer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLNovember 6, 2015
Typical large corporation. Benefits are being reduced each year as cost of benefits increase. Annual salary increases do not always cover increased costs of benefits, let alone inflation. The pain of working for a large corporation is offset by the pleasure of working on a strong program team, so day-to-day work life is good.
Ok to work for as long as you are under 50
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 25, 2015
Ok company to work for as long as you are under 50 years old. I have seen time and time again when someone turns 50, Harris will start pushing that person out the door.

Management are a bunch of yes people and will not fight for their department. Best to stay away from them. Get on their bad side and you will be gone.
Bottom line oriented, no employee loyalty
Senior Marketing Intelligence Manger (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLOctober 19, 2015
This company has a rich legacy. With a change in the CEO, the ties to that legacy and culture were severed. Focus is now on bottom line and not on supporting employees. Morale is very low and people are concerned about losing their jobs even if they are performing well.
Pros
Great technology and challenging work
Cons
Focus on bottom line, cutting back on experienced employees and putting heavy work load stress on remaining employees
Very rewarding
Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLOctober 14, 2015
For many many years Harris has been very rewarding and life fulfilling place to work. What set Harris apart from the rest of Corporate America is they cared about their people that worked there. It was like a large family. That culture has made a dramatic shift in the opposite direction. Co-workers are still very awesome and care about there work and the end customer's mission, it's not all about the bottom profit line but the overall big picture.
Productive work enviroment
Material Handler C/ Kit Verification / MET MRB (Current Employee) –  Palm Bay, FLOctober 7, 2015
A typical workday is I come in the morning and I check my e mail. Then I make my rounds to see if my assistance is needed. Afterwards I check the loading dock area to see if there is anything new for the MRB. I have learned that you have to have great customer service skills to work in my area. I also learned the Sunflower operating system. My management is very helpful if needed and my coworkers are very down to earth. My hardest part of the job is trying to find out where the material came from. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with my co workers.
Pros
Great working atmosphere
Cons
Short breaks
I enjoy the work
Clinical Data Manager (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 2, 2015
Excellent benefits package, flexible work hours, 10 paid holiday a year. Co-workers who are knowledgeable, friendly, and willing to help each other out.
Great place for new grads, too much politics higher up
CHIEF SOFTWARE ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLOctober 2, 2015
Great place for a new grad or newer engineer to be involved with lots of different technologies, specially since the company has the capital to work on large programs with lots of resources. As you get higher up then the expectation is that you are less technical, but also have to deal with a lot of the mistakes management makes, which results in lots of unnecessary headaches and stress.
Pros
technology, good start salary
Cons
Dwindling benefits, management