Harris Corporation Employee Reviews

Great Technology, dont like or consider older employees and candidates
mnb (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 28, 2016
Harris has some of the best technology going. Great for engineers.

In my dept the older workers were not considered when applying for positions.

Jobs were given to younger candidates and young females. Thought it was a fluke at first but after five positions were slanted to much younger less experienced candidates, contractors and Coops. Frequently the requisition would be changed to fit the younger candidate.
Pros
Great engineering
Cons
HR has their head up their a____.
Cultural is not team oriented. The only individuals who have an opportunity for promotion are pre-selected by management. Work/Life Balance is good.
Contract Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 11, 2016
Focus is on education and not on experience. Only the chosen ones are given opportunities for promotion (pre-selected by management). Environment is cold and distant. There is a lack of focus on a team culture. Job security is non-existent. Management continues to reduce employee benefits and increase individuals personal expenses for healthcare and other benefits.
Pros
Work/Life balance is good. In house cafeteria service is nice.
Cons
Lack of promotional opportunities; poor annual wage increases; lack of leadership by management
Good Pay, Great People, But No Job Security
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLSeptember 29, 2016
In a nutshell, that's it - good pay, great people (the best) but absolutely no loyalty or job security. The hiring swells followed by hiring freezes and layoffs, followed by more swells, it's all pretty unnerving and disruptive. It's nice to know my team appreciates the hard work and overtime, if only upper management could do the same - their decisions to outsource key pieces of our product make it sometimes impossible to deliver quality.
Pros
The people (excluding upper management)
Cons
No sense of job security, no overtime pay
Great place but government contracts dictate employment
Engineering/Geospatial Technician (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLDecember 1, 2016
I enjoyed working for Harris for the time that I did, but I was unfortunately laid off due to a contract being cancelled on the government side. Therefore everyone who was working on that project was let go. This was also during the recession so I feel that contributed to it. I would still work there again if I got the chance, they are very good.
Great Place to Work
Account Payable Processor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 25, 2016
A typical day starts with a good cup of coffee, logging in to the system to get to work. I learned that using email to communicate with internal and external customers is a great tool in getting resolutions. My manager relied on my ability as a fast learner, to work independent. Good friends with co-workers.
Pros
Working with a great team and manger.
Cons
Having to leave.
Pay is bad, work is easy, Advancement is too slow
Information Security Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLDecember 4, 2016
Great work life balance and vacation and 401k, but a very low pay and bad middle and upper management cancel that out. You're just a cog in the chain at Harris. Promotions take too long, and raises don't keep up with inflation.
Pros
401k vacation
Cons
pay management advancement
Good company
Systems Integration and Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Palm Bay, FLAugust 5, 2016
From my experience, the company seems to care about keeping their employees happy. The work culture is very friendly and open, they encourage new hires to contribute from the start. Managements was willing to listen to any suggestions people had on making improvements. Overall, I would recommend working for this company
Harris is a solid company in certain fields; very strong customer base
Systems Engineer/Architect (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJune 1, 2016
The company is very well establish in few market niches such as Weather Satellites, Air-Traffic systems, and moderate IT systems.
IT was challenging to innovate due to the long time retention of certain cultured management, who they were set in their own way.
Pros
Solid customer base in certain market niches
Cons
Rigidity and stifling of innovation without realization
Harris Corporation employee review
Security IP Engineer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJuly 13, 2016
Very good place to begin your career. There are numerous opportunities for personal grown and good benefits. Typical work week is a 9/80, 4/10, or 5/40 schedule and usually have the weekends and nights off. Its an engineering company so to get in the door, usually a degree is required.
Awesome team environment
Facilities Technician (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 9, 2016
Facilities does not have a typical day, everything is different everyday. My managers were awesome and they made you feel like a member of the team.
Pros
team environment
Cons
heathcare and being let go with no warning.
Harris is a wonderful corporation to work for.
Information System Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLMay 11, 2016
I loved my time working for Harris Corporation. I was giving the opportunity to succeed through hard work. In my last role, I managed 20+ government networks security compliance. I enjoyed interpreting government policies and implementing that guidance to the network configuration.
Pros
Challenging work where I was constantly busy.
Cons
Working in a vault for 40+ hours a week.
Manufacturing Engineering
Manufacturing Engineer III (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 4, 2016
I truly enjoyed my position at Harris. I enjoyed the interaction and providing immediate support to the quality assurance group, supervisors, mechanical/electrical engineering, procurement, scheduling, product analysis lab, production floor associates, assemblers, testers, and troubleshooters.
Overall, the job was perfect except the relocation to New York was not a preferred choice.
Pros
Top 10 Defense Company
Cons
Relocaiton
A great company to work for
Software Test Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 8, 2016
I met so many good people at Harris corp. different learning opportunities are provided. great team and leadership. I would recommend it to other people.
Company has turnover in every department
Na (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJune 2, 2016
They are the better paying companies in the area, but short lived when they downsize. They treat managment with high regards and do not respect the lower paying employees.
Pros
Money and benefits
Cons
Government contractor with little employment security
Buyer beware
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJune 23, 2016
Used to be a decent place to work. What they lacked in pay scale they made up for in benefits. Since they switched insurance companies they no long can justify the poor pay scale.
Pros
Decent stock value
Cons
Not Employee oriented company any more.
Service Desk Management is a Joke
Service Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLMay 20, 2016
This was my first job on the East Coast of the US (which I took a big pay-cut for, but was told it was worth it)... I nearly moved right back out West. I stayed for 8 or 9 months, tried to give it the "benefit of the doubt", but management was entirely incompetent. Having been in this field for over ten years, I have picked up a few tips and tricks... Made some suggestions to management that would help the whole of Harris, resolving issues before people even called in, and I was SCOLDED for this. Their reasoning was that "we need those phone calls"... that's right-- they are more interested in job security than they are resolving issues.

Tip for management-- if your entire job can be replaced by a batch file and a spreadsheet, you are IRRELEVANT. Go back to school.
Pros
Strong shoulders from carrying my manager on my back every day
Cons
inconsistent schedules, broken equipment, unhealthy work environment(mold, mildew), non-technical managers and supervisors
It's all about cost cutting
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLApril 11, 2016
Pros
Most of the employees are highly talented and dedicated and work to meet the needs of the customer. Harris provides an environment where people can see the impact of the work they do as most projects are small-medium sized programs and each team member plays an important role. For the employees that have not yet lost their 9/80 work week, this provides a nice work/life balance.

Cons
The corporate focus has shifted away from the customer and is overwhelmingly fixated on cost cutting. The and the primary means for achieving this objective is reducing labor costs through layoffs of senior personnel, cutting salaries and reducing benefits. Benefits have declined sharply in recent years. There is a great distrust of executive management and morale is very low.
Pros
You are paid every 2 weeks
Cons
CEO and executive management have tanked a once great company
Great place to work for
Test Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Henrietta, NYAugust 31, 2016
Never hire people fully on and the projects never last as expected always trying find work pay is ok this not a job or a career
good job
ASSSEMBLER (Former Employee) –  Amityville, NYApril 20, 2016
Even as a full time employee i didn't start with benefit's because i was considered a "job shopper" which i was hired and paid by an another company where they were paid say 20 an hour for me and only paid me 15 an hour. once a spot opened in Harris itself i could be accepted or not which normally takes a year.
DoD Contractor
Oracle Database Engineer (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 16, 2016
Harris is a great place to work. It re-introduced unlimited paid time off program, which is one of the most coveted employee benefits. The rest is fairly standard with the corporate culture.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harris Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.