Harris Corporation Employee Reviews

Technical Support (Current Employee), Melbourne, FLAugust 30, 2015
Pros: Great pay/benefits
Cons: Contract work
I've been with Harris for 5 years now and I still enjoy coming to work. I work with a group of great individuals and the work is engaging and challenging.

I work at the helpdesk and support a wide variety of users and technology. The good thing about the helpdesk is you get experience in many different areas of the company.
Loved working there. Fun and well paced,the hours were great.
Electronic Assembler (Former Employee), Rochester, NYAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Level of knowledge was very nice.
I had been in the electronic assembly business for ten years before I went to Harris.
I was relocating and would relocate again in a year, but the year that I worked there was great. People were very nice and fun. The management team was very smart and knew their business, so if we had a glitch of any sort we were able to go to them to resolve it.
The hardest part of my job was leaving, I had to relocate again due to my husbands health and it was hard to leave.
I would like to get back in this field if there is an opportunity to do so.
Awesome Company
Network Engineer III (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 24, 2015
Great company to work for hands down. Worked with them in the past and present. Great culture and they really take care of you.
Great place to work; leadership allows you to do your job and succeed
Software Developer Intern (Former Employee), Suffolk, VAAugust 21, 2015
Pros: Open communication, excellent coworkers, leader-leader model
Cons: There weren't any permanent positions available after my internship was over
Typical day is a phone meeting with other Harris locations to discuss what we've accomplished, what we plan to accomplish, and any difficulties; throughout the day, breaks are allowed and encouraged; leadership encourages asking questions and listens to input from employees; leadership also tells employees what to do and allows the employee to figure out how to do it, with no micromanagement.

As an intern, I learned about how software developers do their job in the real world. I was exposed to a lot more than I ever learned in school. My employers asked me what I thought about particular tasks and actually considered my input seriously (read Turn The Ship Around, by L. David Marquet). My coworkers were extremely helpful in getting accustomed to the job.

The hardest part of the job was throwing out the habits I learned in school and becoming familiar with how software development is done in a real environment. Adapting to large systems with many dependencies took some time and effort.

The most enjoyable part of the job was open communication with coworkers, and the ability to take breaks when I need them.
Information Systems : Horrible place to work
Information Systems (Former Employee), Melbourne, FloridaAugust 16, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: Increase of stress
Not enough personnel to sufficiently support 23,000 people. No work/life balance. Expectation is the job before family, health, and continuing education. Company benefits are comparable to other large organizations. No advancement recommended or encouragement to gain education/certifications. Manager is uneducated, rude, and threatens employees. Culture is the buddy system and not weighed on hard work and dedication.
Great Place to Work
Trade Compliance Analyst III (Current Employee), Roanoke, VAAugust 15, 2015
Been employed there almost 12 years and believe its a great place to work with a flexible work schedule. I work in a department that is committed to compliance and ethics. I have been able to grow and become a valuable asset to the company.
Top tier defense contractor
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMAugust 12, 2015
My position with Harris enables me to work on programs of national-level importance with some the best people in their fields. It is a challenging yet rewarding place to work.
Overall a good place to work
Program Manager (Current Employee), Rochester, NYAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Great team environment, 401K matching, mission accomplishment
Cons: healthcare insurance, layoffs due to gov't budget uncertainty.
This review is specific to Harris RF communications division. Harris will allow you many opportunities for development. I have been able to move positions increasing my responsibility, improving skill set, and gaining new skills to further my professional development. Pay may be a little low compared to industry. This used to be made up for by the excellent benefits we enjoyed. But as the case with many places they have been reduced. Especially and significant increase in health care premiums with a reduction is what is payed for.

Co workers work together with little to no back stabbing and the typical political machinations seen in a large company. Every one seems to work towards making Harris a success.
Overall, decent place to work
Senior Staff Electrical Engineer (Current Employee), Melbourne, FLAugust 9, 2015
Management is ok, very smart and capable engineering staff. Healthcare benefits have been cut, salaries not keeping up with industry. Recent acquisition may provide benefit.
pretty good work environment
Composite Technician (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTAugust 4, 2015
Very well scheduled. you have your duties and morning and after lunch team meetings to schedule your day. great supervisors and co workers
Good company to work for
Department Manager (Current Employee), ColoradoAugust 4, 2015
The company is expanding and growing rapidly. This is providing a lot of opportunities for employees. The culture is driven heavily by engineers.
Productive workplace with great people to work with
Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee), Saint Charles, ILAugust 3, 2015
Pros: Challenging projects!
Cons: Poor Management and not enough /or right type of training
Great place to work and learn how to deploy systems. Talented engineers and project managers. Hardest part is work/life balance but you get to enjoy the challenge that comes with working on new/existing projects at the same time.
Challenging and interesting work
Systems Engineer (Former Employee), Palm BayJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Challenging work, outstanding co-workers
Cons: Pay is lower than industry peers
Difficult to get work assignments when first arrived. Need to take a lot of initiative and talk to a lot of people, but management was very helpful as well.
Lacking in the Work Life Balance
Systems Engineer (Former Employee), Lynchburg, VAJuly 20, 2015
Need to work to get the equipment built right the first time to reduce travel to sites which has a direct effect on the work life balance.
pretty nice work environment
computer deployment specialist (Former Employee), Palm Bay, FLJuly 18, 2015
Pros: There are some really great people to work with. You can learn a lot if your there long enough.
Cons: Management sometimes avoids conflict and doesn't always have honest communication when needed
Harris has a lot to offer fulltime employees but much for contract employees. Benefits for employees and quality of home and work life is always under fire. But if you are laid off from Harris they do try to bring you back into the fold.
solid technology and processes
Software Engineer (Former Employee), Melbourne, FLJuly 16, 2015
Pros: respect for employees
Cons: little focus outside of defense contracts
Engineering driven company focused on whatever works. The small non defense portion of the company generally left alone to succeed. The best part was the collection of talent interested in making solutions happen.
Changing Rapidly
Mechanical Engineer III (Current Employee), Palm Bay, FLJuly 12, 2015
Pros: Interesting work, strong engineering culture, 9/80 schedule
Cons: Benefits costs rising, uncertain of future changes to 401k, benefits, 9/80
Interesting work with good low- and mid-level management. Top tier of management is making aggressive changes to benefits and company culture, arguably for the worse. Benefits costs have sky-rocketed in last 3 years, compensation has hardly budged by comparison.
Not what it use to be!
IT Network Systems Engineer, Network Engineering (Former Employee), Melbourne, FLJuly 12, 2015
Pros: 9/80 is great but may go away.
Cons: Bad morale, low pay increases, and poor management.
Basically with new CEO bottom line is the return. Little if any community activities anymore, much less any raises. The company hired a consulting firm to see why so many folks were leaving the company, supposedly folks at new company are leaving in droves. Management is just a puppet on some strings for the upper management cutting cost. Worked there for years but left when the bottom line was the only requirement. Be aware as it starts out fine then the headaches begin with not doing enough, pay raises stop, and life becomes hard, so be careful. Harris is not the Harris it was before, when talking to associates I use to work with they are very unhappy and seeking other jobs.
Work with interesting technologies
Software Engineer II (Former Employee), Melbourne, FLJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Every other Fridays off
Cons: Working as government contractor or related activities
Majority of the work is government contract related.
Not a fun environment during government cut backs.
Work can be very tedious due to heavy processes.
Harris GCSD
Subcontracts Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Palm Bay, FLJune 9, 2015
Harris provides advanced, technology-based solutions that solve government and commercial customers' mission critical challenges.
Headquarters