Harris Corporation Employee Reviews

Great place to work. Room for growth
Personnel Security Representative (Current Employee) –  Palm Bay, FLFebruary 9, 2017
While there is room for growth, and Harris is a good company to work for, management is not always fair, being that if someone reports you for an incident, the manager does not contact you to let you know what complaint is made, he, or she just documents it, and you will find out when your yearly review comes up. This has happened more than to just a few people that I've come across while working for Harris.
Pros
If you are hired for a position, and you realize that you do not feel the job suits you, then they will place you in another position, and while it may be a lower level, they do not reduce your salary.
Cons
a lot of unhappy people because of company politics.
Cultural is not team oriented. The only individuals who have an opportunity for promotion are pre-selected by management. Work/Life Balance is good.
Contract Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 11, 2016
Focus is on education and not on experience. Only the chosen ones are given opportunities for promotion (pre-selected by management). Environment is cold and distant. There is a lack of focus on a team culture. Job security is non-existent. Management continues to reduce employee benefits and increase individuals personal expenses for healthcare and other benefits.
Pros
Work/Life balance is good. In house cafeteria service is nice.
Cons
Lack of promotional opportunities; poor annual wage increases; lack of leadership by management
Enjoyable atmosphere and sunny weather.
Senior Technician -50 hrs/wk (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJanuary 13, 2017
This summary will not include overseas assignments.
- A typical day at work was doing my assigned tasks according to work orders. I had moved around the company learning new skills by doing different things, such as making fiberglass products, making transformers of all different sizes making cables of all configurations, making and testing electronic fixtures under government specs, and many others things.
- I had some of the best co-workers anywhere. They helped me become better at seeing the big picture and I helped them wherever I could.
- management at Harris were great at listening to me and others and had the knack to give instruction where needed.
Pros
Great healthcare and a refrigerator and free coffee.
Cons
Slow raises.
Unfair Business Practices
Sr. Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 17, 2017
Harris has not given a 1% raise to any of its employees in the San Diego division of Information Technology. People working with the UUV and USV program at Harris Corporation have to spend 6 months or more in Bahrain. Hours are adjust, but the promised hours are never reached. Per Diem is slowly diminishing and there is no vacation when deployed. Management is terrible at communication and don't expect planning in advance, Management will ask you to leave for 6 months with a few weeks notice at best.
Pros
Unlimited Vacation
Cons
Poor management, poor communication, policies will be made without you being informed, education is not acknowledged, and there is no dedication to you from the company.
Stale Management that does not value dedicated employees
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INFebruary 6, 2017
Company focus is centered about new generation of workers with no regards to the dedicated employees that have been with the company for decades. All incentives to stay with the company have been removed as new employees have the same benefits as those with 20 years experience. Most new positions of responsibility go to the young and inexperienced which is counter productive to this business which demands knowledge and experience. The few remaining old timers are either bullies or are hanging on for retirement.

Excellent place for new grads if you like being told how it is going to be with no input to the solution.
Pros
Salary OT paid occasionally, decent salary
Cons
Same management players for decades; crisis style management; working nights, weekends, and holidays are expected depending on which group
Pay is bad, work is easy, Advancement is too slow
Information Security Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLDecember 4, 2016
Great work life balance and vacation and 401k, but a very low pay and bad middle and upper management cancel that out. You're just a cog in the chain at Harris. Promotions take too long, and raises don't keep up with inflation.
Pros
401k vacation
Cons
pay management advancement
Not Employee or Customer Oriented
Operations (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAFebruary 16, 2017
This company puts revenue first, above customers, employees, and quality. Raises have been very small, and the company delays giving out raises so that you only get a portion of a year, not a full year of the salary increase. Employees are ranked, often by managers that they have never met and that know nothing about them, and each department is given a set dollar amount to distribute across their employee base for raises.
Job security depends totally on meeting revenue expectations. Harris has a history of building up their labor force to meet specific program obligations, then reducing labor when the program is closed.
Hours are fairly flexible, and they offer flex time for two months during the summer. Don't be fooled by the new "unlimited" time off policy. All vacation must be approved in advance, and once you reach a check point, the vacation approval has to go higher up the chain for those approvals. Atmosphere is very stressful.
Pros
Flex time in summer;do have a healthcare plan with several choices
Cons
No job security;no employee appreciation;revenue focused
There is no worse company to work for
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 19, 2016
Programs are always delayed, underfunded and fraught with errors. There are zero continuing education or process improvement initiatives, and employees are perpetually unmotivated. People here are enamored with status quo; they love to float by and will viciously destroy the career of anyone with drive and work ethic. Save yourself the headache of a lifetime and stay as far away from this woeful "company" as possible.
Pros
NONE
Cons
Non-existent benefits, zero flexibility, zero talent, hostile work environment
Great Company To Work For
Windows System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COJanuary 30, 2017
Right now I am working as a sub-contractor and and I am gaining a wealth of knowledge in the position that I currently hold and have no doubts that this information will come into play as my career progresses. The culture is very professional with a work hard play hard mentality.
Good Pay, Great People, But No Job Security
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLSeptember 29, 2016
In a nutshell, that's it - good pay, great people (the best) but absolutely no loyalty or job security. The hiring swells followed by hiring freezes and layoffs, followed by more swells, it's all pretty unnerving and disruptive. It's nice to know my team appreciates the hard work and overtime, if only upper management could do the same - their decisions to outsource key pieces of our product make it sometimes impossible to deliver quality.
Pros
The people (excluding upper management)
Cons
No sense of job security, no overtime pay
Good company with state of the art technology across many business areas.
Engineering Specialist (Current Employee) –  Palm Bay, FLFebruary 15, 2017
* Day in the life at Harris - Busy.
* What have I learned - Many technologies in the Complex Digital (avionics), RF (to include SATCOM, Satellite payloads), and National Airspace ATC disciplines.
* Harris mid level management - Open door policy. Approachable.
Pros
Flex schedule
Cons
diminishing benefits.
Excellent Place to work
Assured Compliance Assessment Solution Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 30, 2016
With a great work/life balance, Harris also provides a dynamic learning experience in the work place. Management is quick to acknowledge performance and promote form within.
Pros
Great PTO package
Cons
Moderate pay
Corporate Driven
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 23, 2017
Clear path for advancement opportunities. Outstanding benefits. A lot of corporate driven events. Opportunities in engineering within 4 different divisions.
Harris Corp
Subcontracts Administrator IV (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VAFebruary 14, 2017
Stiff, overbearing corporate management. The Harris way is the only way of doing things. Harris acquired our company and has basically mismanaged a program that was strong and profitable.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
non flexible
A so-so company
Intrusion Detection Analyst (Current Employee) –  Scott AFB, ILDecember 16, 2016
The first year was fine. After that, it had been cut after cut to benefits.

Co-workers work well together.

Management uneven in how the treat each employee, and with how much they demand from each employee.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Poor benefits
Worthless Company
Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 20, 2016
This place has the angriest, most bitter employees I have ever witnessed in my thirty year career. Everyone is perpetually nasty and complaining about their jobs. It translates blatantly into the quality of their work and customers notice entirely. We are rapidly losing contracts to competitors and widespread layoffs are inevitable. I cannot stand another day here and advise everyone reading this to stay as far away as possible to save your sanity and careers.
Pros
Can't think of even one unfortunately
Cons
TOO MANY TO NAME
It's all about cost cutting
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLApril 11, 2016
Pros
Most of the employees are highly talented and dedicated and work to meet the needs of the customer. Harris provides an environment where people can see the impact of the work they do as most projects are small-medium sized programs and each team member plays an important role. For the employees that have not yet lost their 9/80 work week, this provides a nice work/life balance.

Cons
The corporate focus has shifted away from the customer and is overwhelmingly fixated on cost cutting. The and the primary means for achieving this objective is reducing labor costs through layoffs of senior personnel, cutting salaries and reducing benefits. Benefits have declined sharply in recent years. There is a great distrust of executive management and morale is very low.
Pros
You are paid every 2 weeks
Cons
CEO and executive management have tanked a once great company
Good company
Systems Integration and Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Palm Bay, FLAugust 5, 2016
From my experience, the company seems to care about keeping their employees happy. The work culture is very friendly and open, they encourage new hires to contribute from the start. Managements was willing to listen to any suggestions people had on making improvements. Overall, I would recommend working for this company
Service Desk Management is a Joke
Service Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLMay 20, 2016
This was my first job on the East Coast of the US (which I took a big pay-cut for, but was told it was worth it)... I nearly moved right back out West. I stayed for 8 or 9 months, tried to give it the "benefit of the doubt", but management was entirely incompetent. Having been in this field for over ten years, I have picked up a few tips and tricks... Made some suggestions to management that would help the whole of Harris, resolving issues before people even called in, and I was SCOLDED for this. Their reasoning was that "we need those phone calls"... that's right-- they are more interested in job security than they are resolving issues.

Tip for management-- if your entire job can be replaced by a batch file and a spreadsheet, you are IRRELEVANT. Go back to school.
Pros
Strong shoulders from carrying my manager on my back every day
Cons
inconsistent schedules, broken equipment, unhealthy work environment(mold, mildew), non-technical managers and supervisors
Harris Corporation employee review
Security IP Engineer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJuly 13, 2016
Very good place to begin your career. There are numerous opportunities for personal grown and good benefits. Typical work week is a 9/80, 4/10, or 5/40 schedule and usually have the weekends and nights off. Its an engineering company so to get in the door, usually a degree is required.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harris Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.