Harris Corporation Employee Reviews

Great Place Work
Senior Engineer-Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Camarillo, CAFebruary 9, 2016
Was very lucky to work for Harris. Stated as Engineer I and advanced to Senior Engineer in different Product lines. All member of the team were great.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Bottom line oriented, no employee loyalty
Senior Marketing Intelligence Manger (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLOctober 19, 2015
This company has a rich legacy. With a change in the CEO, the ties to that legacy and culture were severed. Focus is now on bottom line and not on supporting employees. Morale is very low and people are concerned about losing their jobs even if they are performing well.
Pros
Great technology and challenging work
Cons
Focus on bottom line, cutting back on experienced employees and putting heavy work load stress on remaining employees
Very rewarding
Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLOctober 14, 2015
For many many years Harris has been very rewarding and life fulfilling place to work. What set Harris apart from the rest of Corporate America is they cared about their people that worked there. It was like a large family. That culture has made a dramatic shift in the opposite direction. Co-workers are still very awesome and care about there work and the end customer's mission, it's not all about the bottom profit line but the overall big picture.
Good program team
software engineer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLNovember 6, 2015
Typical large corporation. Benefits are being reduced each year as cost of benefits increase. Annual salary increases do not always cover increased costs of benefits, let alone inflation. The pain of working for a large corporation is offset by the pleasure of working on a strong program team, so day-to-day work life is good.
Productive work enviroment
Material Handler C/ Kit Verification / MET MRB (Current Employee) –  Palm Bay, FLOctober 7, 2015
A typical workday is I come in the morning and I check my e mail. Then I make my rounds to see if my assistance is needed. Afterwards I check the loading dock area to see if there is anything new for the MRB. I have learned that you have to have great customer service skills to work in my area. I also learned the Sunflower operating system. My management is very helpful if needed and my coworkers are very down to earth. My hardest part of the job is trying to find out where the material came from. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with my co workers.
Pros
Great working atmosphere
Cons
Short breaks
Great place for new grads, too much politics higher up
CHIEF SOFTWARE ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLOctober 2, 2015
Great place for a new grad or newer engineer to be involved with lots of different technologies, specially since the company has the capital to work on large programs with lots of resources. As you get higher up then the expectation is that you are less technical, but also have to deal with a lot of the mistakes management makes, which results in lots of unnecessary headaches and stress.
Pros
technology, good start salary
Cons
Dwindling benefits, management
Systems Engineering
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Clifton NJSeptember 28, 2015
If you like working for defense contractors, this is the place for you. Depending on project, there is typically good work/life balance and enough challenges throughout the day to keep you engaged. For some there is the opportunity to travel. Sometimes management may not seem to "get it." However, that can be said at many other companies.
Pros
Interesting work on the right project
Cons
Typecasting engineers, unmotivated co-workers, clueless management
Ok to work for as long as you are under 50
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 25, 2015
Ok company to work for as long as you are under 50 years old. I have seen time and time again when someone turns 50, Harris will start pushing that person out the door.

Management are a bunch of yes people and will not fight for their department. Best to stay away from them. Get on their bad side and you will be gone.
I am aprreciative of the 29 years that I had with the company.
Assembler Generalist (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INSeptember 22, 2015
It was a fun place to work and I really enjoyed the many different positions that I was able to hold. Over the years I worked for a variety of management. There was a time that we worked many long hours to achieve our goals and we did it. For the most part everyone got along and pitched in and helped each other out.
Pros
I was able to gain a lot of information on all the various positions that I held.
Cons
The plant is moving the work to New York.
Typical engineering company
Engineering Technician C (Former Employee) –  Palm Bay, FLSeptember 29, 2015
Harris had potential to be a great company to work for but always seemed to be tripping over its own feet when planning work routines. They offered comparable pay for the area and a 9/80 work schedule which is great, when you weren't slammed with overtime demands as was typical during my time there. Generally if you were a good routine worker and frequently put in some OT hours they made certain to actually help keep you busy and help advance your position.

My biggest gripe was with management organization, not anyone's inability to lead or relay information, but the constant "changing managers, reshaping departments, altering administrative responsibilities" left me 9 different managers during just a 5 year tenure, 6 of the changes occurring in just a little over two years.
Pros
9/80 work schedule when possible, potential growth
Cons
Feast of famine work schedule
Loved working there. Fun and well paced,the hours were great.
Electronic Assembler (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 24, 2015
I had been in the electronic assembly business for ten years before I went to Harris.
I was relocating and would relocate again in a year, but the year that I worked there was great. People were very nice and fun. The management team was very smart and knew their business, so if we had a glitch of any sort we were able to go to them to resolve it.
The hardest part of my job was leaving, I had to relocate again due to my husbands health and it was hard to leave.
I would like to get back in this field if there is an opportunity to do so.
Pros
Level of knowledge was very nice.
Information Systems : Horrible place to work
Information Systems (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FloridaAugust 16, 2015
Not enough personnel to sufficiently support 23,000 people. No work/life balance. Expectation is the job before family, health, and continuing education. Company benefits are comparable to other large organizations. No advancement recommended or encouragement to gain education/certifications. Manager is uneducated, rude, and threatens employees. Culture is the buddy system and not weighed on hard work and dedication.
Pros
Cons
Increase of stress
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLAugust 30, 2015
I've been with Harris for 5 years now and I still enjoy coming to work. I work with a group of great individuals and the work is engaging and challenging.

I work at the helpdesk and support a wide variety of users and technology. The good thing about the helpdesk is you get experience in many different areas of the company.
Pros
Great pay/benefits
Cons
Contract work
Great Company
e-Learning Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  VirginiaSeptember 24, 2015
Harris is a great company to work! The management is fair and the staff is usually very good. For the most part, they treat staff fairly. Although, they may not meet market salary rates for some positions.
Pros
Good people, Ethical Company
Cons
Salaries may not be market rate
Productive and good place to work here
System Integration and Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLSeptember 15, 2015
Harris is a good engineering company. It has many different communication programs.
Most of the people here good.
Harris has built Billion dollar weather program.
Coworkers are ok.
Pros
lot of good clubs, good programs
Cons
health care choice is not great
pretty nice work environment
computer deployment specialist (Former Employee) –  Palm Bay, FLJuly 18, 2015
Harris has a lot to offer fulltime employees but much for contract employees. Benefits for employees and quality of home and work life is always under fire. But if you are laid off from Harris they do try to bring you back into the fold.
Pros
There are some really great people to work with. You can learn a lot if your there long enough.
Cons
Management sometimes avoids conflict and doesn't always have honest communication when needed
Overall a good place to work
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 11, 2015
This review is specific to Harris RF communications division. Harris will allow you many opportunities for development. I have been able to move positions increasing my responsibility, improving skill set, and gaining new skills to further my professional development. Pay may be a little low compared to industry. This used to be made up for by the excellent benefits we enjoyed. But as the case with many places they have been reduced. Especially and significant increase in health care premiums with a reduction is what is payed for.

Co workers work together with little to no back stabbing and the typical political machinations seen in a large company. Every one seems to work towards making Harris a success.
Pros
Great team environment, 401K matching, mission accomplishment
Cons
healthcare insurance, layoffs due to gov't budget uncertainty.
Productive workplace with great people to work with
Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILAugust 3, 2015
Great place to work and learn how to deploy systems. Talented engineers and project managers. Hardest part is work/life balance but you get to enjoy the challenge that comes with working on new/existing projects at the same time.
Pros
Challenging projects!
Cons
Poor Management and not enough /or right type of training
Changing Rapidly
Mechanical Engineer III (Current Employee) –  Palm Bay, FLJuly 12, 2015
Interesting work with good low- and mid-level management. Top tier of management is making aggressive changes to benefits and company culture, arguably for the worse. Benefits costs have sky-rocketed in last 3 years, compensation has hardly budged by comparison.
Pros
Interesting work, strong engineering culture, 9/80 schedule
Cons
Benefits costs rising, uncertain of future changes to 401k, benefits, 9/80
Not what it use to be!
IT Network Systems Engineer, Network Engineering (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJuly 12, 2015
Basically with new CEO bottom line is the return. Little if any community activities anymore, much less any raises. The company hired a consulting firm to see why so many folks were leaving the company, supposedly folks at new company are leaving in droves. Management is just a puppet on some strings for the upper management cutting cost. Worked there for years but left when the bottom line was the only requirement. Be aware as it starts out fine then the headaches begin with not doing enough, pay raises stop, and life becomes hard, so be careful. Harris is not the Harris it was before, when talking to associates I use to work with they are very unhappy and seeking other jobs.
Pros
9/80 is great but may go away.
Cons
Bad morale, low pay increases, and poor management.