Harris Corporation Employee Reviews

Challenging but frustrating
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 26, 2017
i worked on several interesting and challenging projects, but the problem in many cases was that the company constantly changed directions and would abandon ongoing work continuously and go in other directions, so it was difficult to see final results.
Diverse Place to work
Engineering Technician II (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 25, 2017
Great pace to work. Lots of room to grow. The manufacturing facility is also very efficient. When they moved to the new location they incorporated a lot of lean six sigma.
Use to be a great place to work
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palm Bay, FLMay 18, 2017
Reorganizations every year, many times after a reorg employees don't know who to report to or feel that they have a strong understanding of the new structure. In all my years there, never met or worked with an employee/manager that was not supportive, helpful, friendly and caring!
Pros
Most managers and HR very supportive of employees growth in the company
Cons
Changes in the past 5 - 8 years has employees concerned for their future there, many great people have left the company
Benefits and pay are not industry standard
Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 17, 2017
I worked at a site other than the headquarters. Supervisor was great but pay and benefits we below standard. The organization offers unlimited vacation. The interview process was online and it was very intense.
Pros
Unlimited vacation
Cons
Pay, benefits
Good, well-established company that respect employees.
Clinical Data Quality Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 15, 2017
For the last 3 1/2 years I enjoyed working with company, that really respect the employees, I feel safe and well-respected. Working is fun and great. The company appreciate the employees and I got promoted twice during this period.

The company provides good package of benefits.
Troubled company with a toxic work environment.
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAMay 10, 2017
If you choose to accept a position, get all you can from the experience. They pay well but always answers their financial issues with workforce reductions. It is primarily management's fault the company is where it is...yet they are the one making poor decisions. At its current state, it is a cycle that has no end.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Management, weak HR dept., continued workforce reductions
Administrative Assistant Role
Administrative Assistant, NDA & SAP Administrator (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAMay 8, 2017
I enjoyed my work at Harris Corporation and was very sorry to be part of the involuntary workforce reduction that recently occurred in March 2017 with my position being eliminated. I looked forward to going to work every day and being helpful to many people in all departments. I was proud to work at Harris and be a part of what they do.
Pros
Variety of responsibilities; interaction with others; computer technology
Cons
Involuntary workforce reduction decisions
High tech. Pressure to perform.
Systems Test Engineer (Contract Assignment) (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLMay 6, 2017
I was a contractor, so my work experiences are a bit different. I'm always hired into the projects that are way behind and they are usually desperate by the time contractors are approved and hired.

The Harris team was pushed to work 45 to 50 hours a week, but Harris pays up to 10 hours of overtime to their perm employees. I have rarely seen that in our industry.

The work was stressful and management had impossible deadlines for the project, so they kept pushing out the dates while putting pressure on the team to "catch up" the work.

The work is very high-tech, so you will gain marketable experience. The location here in Melbourne FL is wonderful, so coworkers who live here have things to do all year long.
Pros
On site cafeteria. Paid overtime.
Cons
Aggressive deadlines and pressure to work overtime.
Stable environment for technical positions
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLApril 24, 2017
Great coworkers and steady work. Company cares about keeping talent and my managers cared about growing talent. Corporate culture is more toxic but stay away and you'll be fine.
Pros
Good 401k match. Dedicated health facility for employees and families.
Cons
Low raises. Too much emphasis on schedule and budget and not enough on quality.
Understaffed and over woorked
Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 20, 2017
I was constantly on the road. there were layoffs every year. Bonuses and pay increases were low about 2% per year. Benefits were ok 401k, medical dental and vision.
overworked and underpaid
Office Manager/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLApril 19, 2017
Management drives hard. OT is required. No Work/Life balance. Decent wages, but you work hard for it. Everyone in department was overworked, departments are understaffed, and that's where the OT kicks in. You'll never catch up. Even for how hard they drive staff, there is no job security. No communication between management and staff.
Pros
decent wages
Cons
no work/life balance, management drives hard. Benefits are pricey.
Disorganized and Unnecessarily Stressful Work Environment
Technical Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 8, 2017
In a typical day you were tasked to complete work that had been sitting around in someone's desk for over two years which was now due within a day. Training for the tasks assigned were non-existent. The benefits are at a bare minimum. The emergent environment and lack of training created an unnecessarily stressful work environment. Most employees have short tempers because they are not happy. Huge turn-around in staff due to a combination of unnecessary emergencies and lack of recognition for handling the constant stressors. Reactive environment vs proactive, even when situations presented to be handled as proactive.
Pros
Very Intelligent Engineers
Cons
Laziness and Procrastination, Lack of Training, Minimal Benefits, Constant Unnecessary Stressful Circumstances
A fun place to work and learn
Internship - Engineering Department (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLApril 7, 2017
This is one of the best places for an intern to gain real-time work experience. Management is respectful and receptive to new ideas even if your not a subject matter expert.
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Palm Bay, FLApril 4, 2017
I worked for the executive team in Palm Bay and they were excellent individuals. Everyone provided a very family oriented feeling. The company cares about the individual and take great care of you.
Compay has changed drastically over the past decade
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Palm Bay, FLMarch 27, 2017
Overall, good company. Profit sharing, advancement opportunities, school reimbursement, double time on your seventh day of work have all dwindled in the past decade.
Pros
Wide variety of projects throughout company. Opportunity to switch fields within the company.
Cons
Advancement is usually based on who is buddy buddy with management.
Machinst/Assembler
Machinist/Electrical Assembly (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 22, 2017
Nice place to work. Great people to work with. Nice facility. Worked hard to produce a product second to none within that Industries standard. I had a great boss.
Very badly managed company
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAMarch 20, 2017
The first year was great, but it went downhill fast from there. Every year there was at least one lay off. Growth opportunity was non-existent with the company and yearly raises did not even keep up with the cost of living. In fact, I began to make less every year due to rising insurance premiums and inflation.

My immediate and upper-management never listened to "boots on the ground" feedback on what issues the company was facing due to poorly designed products pushed out way too early.

In fact, the company will sell a solution to a customer before it is even designed setting everyone up for failure on numerous occasions because they are so desperate for revenue.

They continue to shoot their selves in the foot at the end of each quarter rushing programs out only to pay for it in spades the next quarter.
9/80 schedule, many opportunities for advancement, not very diverse
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Palm Bay, FLMarch 19, 2017
Developmental needs are diversity, equal opportunities for minorities. A good old boy network. Really great work and people. Not great task management and group leaders, given lead responsibilities without leadership training. Some very old and moldy facilities.
Great People
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Palm Bay, FLMarch 19, 2017
Great place to work.I have met and worked with a lot of good people here. I have grown to have a great deal of respect for there knowledge and wisdom.
Productive and motivational workplace
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Palm Bay, FLMarch 18, 2017
This was a very educational workplace that really opened my eyes to a lot of different things. The employees were very helpful and pushed me to attending school to better my future.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harris Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval